OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Favorite chip tunes for in-game listening

Started by spenoza, 10/11/2014, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

Here is part 2 of my chip tunes inquiry.

Which chip tunes do you enjoy the most in the context of the game? They don't have to be chip tunes you would like listening to independently. I'm talking about the music that adds the best game atmosphere, and fits the gameplay or mood of the game like a glove and elevates the playing experience.

I think Splatterhouse has great music that really enhances the gameplay. The same for Ankoku Densetsu (Leg. Axe II). I don't know that I would want to listen to that music on its own, but the entire soundtracks are fantastically atmospheric.

Geez, almost left out Makyou Densetsu (Leg. Axe). I find that music to actually be some of the best-tuned to the game of almost any title on the system. The jungle-style tune matches the level it is paired with perfectly and really adds tons of atmosphere that the graphics alone can't handle. Same for the cave track. It literally oozes subterranean feel. I don't know that I'd put those tracks on my iPhone to listen to jetting about town, but I just can't imagine the game without those tracks. It would become a whole different beast.

esteban

I agree about all three of the games you discussed:

https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=en&val=legendary

https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=en&val=splat

NOTE: I included a medley of ARCADE Splatterhouse (1988) for the sake of comparison. I really like arcade, but PCE's tunes hold their own! No shame.  :pcgs:

I would add that Dungeon Explorer's chiptunes really enhance/complement the atmosphere of the game and the "action-RPG" spirit of a "quest" (whether you are safely exploring towns or battling the hordes, the music always feels right). It's not just catchy music, it is appropriate for the setting and the tasks at hand. IT IS EVEN MOTIVATING AT POINTS (when the hordes seem endless).

Of course, some of the underground caverns in Dungeon Explorer have the classic "underground cavern tune" accompanying it so I am in absolute heaven (I don't care how trite that formula is, I like it! I love the somber underground cavern songs in games from 8-bit/16-bit era).

You already mentioned some great examples, so, moving on...

UPDATE: folks, you can (1) download entire .rar or, if you'd rather not be bothered, just (2) listen to individual tracks in your browser...

https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=dun

Some favorite tracks:
17 Judas Dungeon (classic)

13 (give it a chance to build up! ~00:30 it kicks in!)

16 On its own, it might be annoying. It's a basic, simple track, but great in-game. I love the contrast between the lead synth holding, extending notes whilst the urgent, high-tempo background keeps grinding away relentlessly. Needless to say, that relentless rhythm matches the relentless onslaught of enemies, whilst the droning "organ" fits the mood  of a dreary dungeon.

19 Final Boss (ATTENZIONE! HINTS OF LEGENDARY AXE II here!!!! Of course, this game predates Legendary Axe II...)

09 Melba Village (an upbeat song that starts out simply but becomes quite nice, indeed).

01 title—most folks haven't listened to the full track (I didn't until recently, since I'd press RUN immediately), the tune is really exquisite starting at 00:52 and overall sets a somber tone for Dungeon Explorer).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperGrafx

Quote from: esteban on 10/12/2014, 04:20 AMI would add that Dungeon Explorer's chiptunes really enhance/complement the atmosphere of the game and the "action-RPG" spirit of a "quest" (whether you are safely exploring towns or battling the hordes, the music always feels right). It's not just catchy music, it is appropriate for the setting and the tasks at hand. IT IS EVEN MOTIVATING AT POINTS (when the hordes seem endless).

Of course, some of the underground caverns in Dungeon Explorer have the classic "underground cavern tune" accompanying it so I am in absolute heaven (I don't care how trite that formula is, I like it! I love the somber underground cavern songs in games from 8-bit/16-bit era).
Definitely have to agree with you there.
Dungeon Explorer just oozes atmosphere.  I feel the music certainly has a lot to do with that.

PukeSter

Some examples of the best chip tunes based on atmosphere.

Street Fighter II: M.Bison's theme (boxer), gets me pumped up. Also another chip tune that proves why the PCE version is the best

Legendary Axe I: 2-1 Cave theme, so eerie but fitting

Dungeon Explorer: Cherry Tower, my favorite theme from the game, and matches the mystical beauty of the tower

Legend of Hero Tonma: "Eeriest", the fate of the world depends on Tonma beating the final boss

Out of the 3 16-bit systems, the PCE has the best music imo. Sometimes SNES or Genny will knock soundtracks out of the park, but they cannot match the PCE's consistency.

VenomMacbeth

Thunder Force IV (sorry I've been on about it so much lately) definitely takes the cake for me.  The soundtrack is contextual not only to the game itself, but also to the system it was made for & the decade it was released.  Just perfect. 

Other ones I appreciate in a similar fashion are Soldier Blade, Streets of Rage 2, and Genpei Toumaden.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Digi.k

I honestly love most of the sound track from magical chase and parodius DA!?!  Basically because they seem to fit the atmosphere and the visual design of the game be it cute, fantasy orientated and also because they seem to take you on that journey to that other worldly reality where good games do.

(ps.  paul I wished a lot of these tracks had about 15 seconds extra time on them before each track faded out)
also this is the arcade music in comparison: