@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Startling Odyssey 2 - how long?

Started by pixeljunkie, 10/27/2014, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

I searched around and couldn't really find an answer for this. For those that have played through it, any idea of how long it took?

Lochlan

IIRC it took me around 20+ hours
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/27/2014, 07:08 PMIIRC it took me around 20+ hours
g'lawd! OK, good to know. So it'll take me about 6 months to finish. haha

NecroPhile

It's about five and a half inches long, same as any cased game.  :-"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2014, 09:56 AMIt's about five and a half inches long, same as any cased game.  :-"
Hmmmm I really wanted to make a bad joke out of this size stuff.

clackattack

its pretty good, im about 9-10 hours in and im definitely enjoying it. Ive been switching out between it and Mysterious Song
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

jlued686

We should really try to beef up the Turbo entries on this site:

www.howlongtobeat.com

Currently, there are only 11 games there. I tend to reference that site when I'm thinking of playing a game. I don't have much time to play these days, so knowing my time commitment is important.

Lochlan

^ A relevant link (and for the OP as well): https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg308282#msg308282

FWIW my times for the games I've cleared have all been over what's listed in that post so YMMV.  I reference this whenever I decide to start a new PCE JRPG.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/29/2014, 04:26 PM^ A relevant link (and for the OP as well): https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg308282#msg308282

FWIW my times for the games I've cleared have all been over what's listed in that post so YMMV.  I reference this whenever I decide to start a new PCE JRPG.
rad

reno5

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/29/2014, 04:26 PM^ A relevant link (and for the OP as well): https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg308282#msg308282

Thanks for the link !

pixeljunkie

just an update on this, since nobody asked.

I am loving this game.

esteban

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 10/31/2014, 09:57 AMjust an update on this, since nobody asked.

I am loving this game.
Awesome. IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

whisper2053

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2014, 03:41 PMWe should really try to beef up the Turbo entries on this site:

www.howlongtobeat.com

Currently, there are only 11 games there. I tend to reference that site when I'm thinking of playing a game. I don't have much time to play these days, so knowing my time commitment is important.
Check again...the PCE selection just got a lot bigger :)

Though I still have a lot of work ahead of me (as a 'contributor', apparently) adding in descriptions/art/etc, it's a labor of love!
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

NecroPhile

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/29/2014, 04:26 PMFWIW my times for the games I've cleared have all been over what's listed in that post so YMMV.
I must be mildly retarded or enjoy grinding, 'cause my times are well over those posted.

gbapalyer

took me 24 hours to beat and iam a faster rpg player^^ awesome game anyways.
Currently playing:   (Started  . Feb. 2013)

pixeljunkie

I'm only about 6 hours in....I have a long way to go

gbapalyer

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/04/2014, 03:29 PMI'm only about 6 hours in....I have a long way to go
ands its worth it. :)
Currently playing:   (Started  . Feb. 2013)

pixeljunkie

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/04/2014, 03:29 PMI'm only about 6 hours in....I have a long way to go
so....it only took me 3 years to finally beat this.

Roughly 25 hrs.

Really, really enjoyed this one. I think I am gonna' tackle something like Princess Minerva next.

SignOfZeta

I really like this game. It's like if Cosmic Fantasy were better.
IMG

pixeljunkie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/21/2017, 03:45 PMI really like this game. It's like if Cosmic Fantasy were better.
hahah exactly! I really want Cosmic Fantasy to be better than it is.

exodus

Shame about cosmic fantasy! but it sounds like I should give this a serious shot - I just got it two months ago.

CrackTiger

Cosmic Fantasy 4 Chapter 2 is great. The early parts of the game have strong gaijin protection though.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, by the end they had really built it into something impressive. I got stuck in a village in that game, I think it was that game. I remember the cinematics being extremely good.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 12/21/2017, 03:32 PM

Roughly 25 hrs.

Really, really enjoyed this one. I think I am gonna' tackle something like Princess Minerva next.
Did you make much sense of Tru's machine translation ?

pixeljunkie

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/21/2017, 10:25 PM

Roughly 25 hrs.

Did you make much sense of Tru's machine translation ?
ehhhh, it wasn't great, but it was enough to keep going. The presentation in the game is what kept me hooked.

crazydean

Roughly 25 hrs.

Congratulations!

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/21/2017, 07:54 PMYeah, by the end they had really built it into something impressive. I got stuck in a village in that game, I think it was that game. I remember the cinematics being extremely good.
That sounds like 4.1.  If you rush after Saya to save her from more tentacle rape, you can get stuck in the town if you don't talk to a couple hurt guys first.

SignOfZeta

Do you mean stuck as in game ending glitch stuck?
IMG

NecroPhile

Yep.  You have to talk to the two guys before you're allowed to leave town, but if you try to leave town they disappear.  If you miss them, you'll never get another chance to talk to them and never be allowed to leave.

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/22/2017, 10:01 AMDo you mean stuck as in game ending glitch stuck?
It's not a glitch. It's protection from evil Westerners.

SignOfZeta

Now I don't feel so stupid. I was pretty sure I had been to every accessible square of that town and talked to everyone at least 20 times.

Quote from: crazydean on 12/22/2017, 10:46 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/22/2017, 10:01 AMDo you mean stuck as in game ending glitch stuck?
Nah, sounds more like a glitch. This kind of thing could get anyone.

Also, gaijin protection is a real thing and I doubt Telnet ever used it. They weren't in a position to want to.
IMG

CrackTiger

Monster Maker has a similar game ruining bug late in the game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I played something from Enix that did this a long time ago, it used to be much more common on PCs.
IMG

pixeljunkie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/22/2017, 11:05 AMNow I don't feel so stupid. I was pretty sure I had been to every accessible square of that town and talked to everyone at least 20 times.

Quote from: crazydean on 12/22/2017, 10:46 AM
Nah, sounds more like a glitch. This kind of thing could get anyone.

Also, gaijin protection is a real thing and I doubt Telnet ever used it. They weren't in a position to want to.
I want to know more about this gaijin protection? Is there like, some known games that did this. Intentionally?!

In terms of Startling Odyssey 2 - who all fought that optional boss?

EmperorIng

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 12/21/2017, 10:34 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 12/21/2017, 10:25 PMDid you make much sense of Tru's machine translation ?
ehhhh, it wasn't great, but it was enough to keep going. The presentation in the game is what kept me hooked.
From places I've read in regards to the translation work, at least a few talk up how he edited the script to make it more intelligible... But sometimes that barely felt like the case. Unless its raw form was awful, I am curious as to why Tru didn't take a second look at the script to fix up all the weird grammatical errors and ugly phrasings, outside of it being just impossible to reword things to fit into the allotted text data. Maybe I am just too ignorant of the process to speak my mind.

I feel a little slimy speaking ill of a guy's hard work (because I am grateful enough to play the game knowing what to do). Though it does make me all the more thankful for projects like Xak III, Ys IV, Zeroigar, or the upcoming Xanadu releases in which the extra effort is put into making the text engaging.

CrackTiger

It was probably too much work to do. He may have planned to fix things lije grammar early on, but after it became clear how much time that would take he settled for "will this be enough for someone to get through the game"?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2017, 12:10 PMIt was probably too much work to do. He may have planned to fix things lije grammar early on, but after it became clear how much time that would take he settled for "will this be enough for someone to get through the game"?
Exactly. I remember the threads/chats at NightWolves's site where Tru explained his rationale...he just wanted to get it out whilst he was able to work on it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Yeah, it's weird. The plan was for him to find a human translator after I extracted the script and gave him a copy of my translation software. I had translated inventory, magic spells, names, etc. and my software had text pointers mapped, so he could pack a text block to fit full translations, recover space that'd normally cause cropping of lines.

I didn't care about the project anymore, partly because of the 16x16 system font, it needed an expert font hacker like what elmer has done to the Xanadus. So it was once under my lead, but I transferred it to Tru, similar to how David Shadoff transferred Emerald Dragon over to me. Very similar in fact.

Tru disappeared for years, thought it was over, next thing I hear is he translated it himself, someone who knew not a lick of Japanese... NONE! He was not even a known translation hack like The XXXSEED Cock Flasher who could fake a translation with Jim Breen's WWWJDIC text glossing feature which breaks a Japanese sentence down into definitions rather than attempt a machine translation!

People are telling me it was edited well, it's passable, but I still can't believe that! Tru told me to try it as well, but never got around to it. Moreover, he said he lost my translation software and did the whole thing by hex editing the data track, so he lost the benefit I gave him like Xak III of text pointer recomputing to fit full translations in a text block!

I dunno what translation website he used either, but given that it is a machine translation, you, esteban, or I could have produced this ourselves so I've never trusted it!! You can't take short cuts without a SamIAm!

pixeljunkie

That's incredible. Yeah the translation didn't even feel broken really. Just rushed. Totally passable honestly, in hindsight. There were a few head scratchers in the game but like.i said it's amazing that it came from someone who didn't know Japanese!

SignOfZeta

I found it remanicent of NES RPGs where just trying to figure out WTF they are saying was difficult.
IMG