10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16

Started by Tatsujin, 06/27/2006, 04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCE or TG-16

PC Engine?
24 (70.6%)
TurboGrafx 16?
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: 06/27/2006, 04:26 AM

doomfarer75

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"That dude is awesome.  He graces my TG-16 box.  He watches me play games, and he is obviously happy about it.  I mean god damn!

I wonder if we can find that all-american dude and see what he's doing now..how did he get a gig like that...did they tell him to smile like that? or was he really a huge fan?  

AAron should interview him! -Doom
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Keranu

That would be kick ass if we could find that guy, as doom stated. Lets begin a search for him.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

He's probably 35 by now.

Does anyone have a picture of how the Turbo CD case is supposed to be packed? I am extremely retarded and can't seem to get the controller and games to fit in without everything being jammed really tight.

Keranu

Three more reasons why TG16 is better than PCE :D :

1. ) We got R-Type on ONE HuCard! :D

2. ) We got Beyond Shadowgate! :D

3. ) We got It Came From the Desert !! :D :D :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Tatsujin

1. the jap. got r-type complete cd! :D
2. luckily, shadow gate as well as IcftD runs also on the jap. one :D
3. nice one :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

I feel bad for Japan and that whole R-Type CD thing.  Poor guys.  At least with the split up R-Type HuCards, you had your choice on whether to purchase the boring 4 levels at the end of the game or not.  Unfortunately the  good levels (1-4) cost as much as a real complete game.  So I guess the US got the extra boring and lame levels as a bonus, but is still missing the really cool bonus stage that's in the SMS version (which has awesome music).

Joe Redifer

I'm pretty sure the US version of R-Type runs in a slightly different horizontal resolution than the Japanese version just by eyeballing it on my TV screen. 

EDIT:
Confirmed!  Check out these two pics grabbed from the same emulator:

IMG
Japanese version - 352x240

IMG
US version - 336x240

What the hell ?

Keranu

IMG

Tatsujin

indeed, and very advantageous for the japanese version as well :wink:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TurboXray

It might be the emulator - which one did you try?

Joe Redifer

TGEmu for Mac OSX, one of the few which actually does screen caps in any resolution the machine is capable of.  Plus I can see the difference on my TV as well.  The US version has a slight black bar on the right side whereas the Jap version takes up the entire screen.

TurboXray

Then they did that to reduce flicker. Since you can only have 16 sprites per active part of the scanline, the shrunk the active area so sprites in the overscan area of the TV wouldn't cause possible flicker.

CrackTiger

If that means that the North American version of R-Type not only has all the levels, but less flicker too, then thats awesome!  :D
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

are you really sure about the less flickers, Bonknuts? :)

Keranu

The less flicker thing makes sense to me. Even though I am pro-TG16, I will try to defend the Japanese R-Type by saying that even though the TG16 version might have a little less flicker because of the cut screen, there is still plenty of flicker anyways so you get a nice full screen with the Japanese one.

Of course that means nothing since you only need one HuCard for the American one 8) .
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: "Keranu"Of course that means nothing since you only need one HuCard for the American one 8) .
oh you little bastard you, gotcha! 8)

Keranu

Ok now send me your LTs! Quickly now! ;)
IMG

TurboXray

Quoteare you really sure about the less flickers, Bonknuts?

Hey,I said less possible flicker :D  I was planning to use this trick myself.