RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Sega Saturn Blu-ray art

Started by cjameslv, 12/16/2014, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjameslv

So i see that alot of my fellow Obey'rs also share my love of the saturn. I been making something a lil different for my own person collection. I like the bluray cases and been making case art for them for my collection. Not sure if anyone cares but i thought i'd share instead of just keep them to myself (no i don't want to share them with the world, hence no submission to coverproject..not sure if they even support bluray format?. If anyone wants my psd file they are welcome to it as well, just send me a pm.

Link to covers i made so far (20 currently): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_ONCErfDmXscjdyRDFrd0NRaGc?usp=sharing

Here's a close up of a US, JAP & Bluray game cases for size comparison.
/24n1xfr.jpg

jlued686

That's really cool, man! Though I'm pretty sure I have cases for all my Saturn stuff. But this is a nice solution. Well done!

Medic_wheat

Nice now I know  what to expect. 
Man this would be great to pick up cheaper JP games that are disk only. But JP retro games almost always have their jewel cases oddly enough.
But for uS games this would work great as finding them with original cases only seem to get harder

cjameslv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/16/2014, 01:45 PMNice now I know  what to expect. 
Man this would be great to pick up cheaper JP games that are disk only. But JP retro games almost always have their jewel cases oddly enough.
But for uS games this would work great as finding them with original cases only seem to get harder
Heh yep, US cases are a pain in the ass to hunt down.

esadajr

They look really neat. If only blu-ray cases existed in the 90s
Gaming since 1985

Medic_wheat

Quote from: esadajr on 12/16/2014, 02:27 PMThey look really neat. If only blu-ray cases existed in the 90s
Yes I love the design on bluray cases. Effective durable and no wasted space

In fact I bought two bluray Disney movies for my wife for Christmas yesterday and was PO'd that the Cinderella case was in a DVD case (despite being a Dimand edition with both blu Ray and DBS copies where the little mermaid also Dimand edition with both Bluray and DVD was in a regular blue bluray case. Now they are going to look odd next to my other bluray cases.  Sigh.

Oh well at lest I wont have to look at them until after Christmas. She doesn't know what she got yet.

PCEngineFX

I never understood why covers over at coverproject were done in DVD cases and whatnot....it's personally not appealing to me but I can get behind Saturn in Bluray cases ;)
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/04/2015, 07:31 AMI never understood why covers over at coverproject were done in DVD cases and whatnot....it's personally not appealing to me but I can get behind Saturn in Bluray cases ;)
Plus Bluray cases are smaller all around. I might need to do this with a few PS1games I have that I no longer have the case for. I will need to find ones that will hold 4 CDs as they are the FF PS1 games.

Ninja Spirit

I need an insert for Sega Ages Phantasy Star Collection....got all the maps and the manual but I have the thick DVD case used for PC games like this.

/$_35.JPG

cjameslv

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/04/2015, 07:31 AMI never understood why covers over at coverproject were done in DVD cases and whatnot....it's personally not appealing to me but I can get behind Saturn in Bluray cases ;)
Thanks, ya i like the bluray alot better, they tend to be not as flimsy as some of the dvd cases i have seen too. That and clear is a standard color which i like alot better than black.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/04/2015, 08:05 AM
Plus Bluray cases are smaller all around. I might need to do this with a few PS1games I have that I no longer have the case for. I will need to find ones that will hold 4 CDs as they are the FF PS1 games.
They make those for bluray but for ps1 you can still order the cd cases for those, why not just get the original cases and print up some front and back art?

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 01/04/2015, 01:42 PMI need an insert for Sega Ages Phantasy Star Collection....got all the maps and the manual but I have the thick DVD case used for PC games like this.

/$_35.JPG
Those look really thick. Are you asking for an insert for that game in the bluray format? I wouldn't mind making one for you, but if you need one for those thick cases i couldnt help as i would need a case to measure and test sizing with.

wildfruit

I don't have a Saturn but what a great general idea for any disc based media lacking a case/ box.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks, ya i like the bluray alot better, they tend to be not as flimsy as some of the dvd cases i have seen too. That and clear is a standard color which i like alot better than black.

They make those for bluray but for ps1 you can still order the cd cases for those, why not just get the original cases and print up some front and back art?

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 01/04/2015, 01:42 PMI need an insert for Sega Ages Phantasy Star Collection....got all the maps and the manual but I have the thick DVD case used for PC games like this.
/$_35.JPG
Those look really thick. Are you asking for an insert for that game in the bluray format? I wouldn't mind making one for you, but if you need one for those thick cases i couldnt help as i would need a case to measure and test sizing with.
I didn't know they still made those PS One multi disk cases.  Do you have a link for that?

cjameslv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/04/2015, 04:39 PM

/$_35.JPG
I didn't know they still made those PS One multi disk cases.  Do you have a link for that?
Yeah, this is where evilbay has a use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-STANDARD-Clear-Double-CD-Jewel-Case-/310613176057?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item4851fceef9

Of course there is 1/2/4 cd cases in clear or with black sections too.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 05:10 PM

/$_35.JPG
Yeah, this is where evilbay has a use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-STANDARD-Clear-Double-CD-Jewel-Case-/310613176057?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item4851fceef9

Of course there is 1/2/4 cd cases in clear or with black sections too.

/$_35.JPG
They aren't PS One cases. These are double sized plastic DVD cases for PC games such as The Sims.

cjameslv: I lost my measuring tape.

But it's definitely not hard finding the dimensions of a thick DVD case like that.

The dimensions are basically two single DVD cases put together. That's it

cr8zykuban0

that's really cool bro! i like that idea. they look better in those ps3 type cases than they do on regular dvd cases. if i had those displayed like that, someone would be like "what ps3 games are those?" i'd be like "Bitch! these are saturn games!"

then i'd probably hear, "what's a saturn?"

great idea cjames!

Medic_wheat

Let's see pics of your various SEGA saturn custom cases.  For fun.

cjameslv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/05/2015, 07:26 PMLet's see pics of your various SEGA saturn custom cases.  For fun.
Since its night you get them on my comforter, oh yaaa  :twisted:
/fz65nb.jpg

Wait, what you want more? Well the ladies have proclaimed about my radiant silvergun...
/2qa8iyw.jpg

I'm all spent, pictures at night in my dark cave do these cases no justice.
/mjxypu.jpg

Medic_wheat

Someone likes shooters. Nice collection of imports.

I might just do my entire SS import games like this.  Start buying them loose to save money.  Only thing is it is not often I see import Japan games without their oroginal cases for CD based games.

JoshTurboTrollX

Probably me being a nit-picker, but I kind of like the cases without the logo.  like this-

http://www.globalmarket.com/product-info/11mm-single-with-without-logo-bluray-case-3370820.html

But, yeah- awesome idea.  I love the way they look compared to using DVD cases for loosey discs.  :)  Thanks for sharing the files!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

cjameslv

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/06/2015, 10:53 AMProbably me being a nit-picker, but I kind of like the cases without the logo.  like this-

http://www.globalmarket.com/product-info/11mm-single-with-without-logo-bluray-case-3370820.html

But, yeah- awesome idea.  I love the way they look compared to using DVD cases for loosey discs.  :)  Thanks for sharing the files!!
Ya i agree. If i could get clear without the logo that would be even better. Not a fan of the blue cases though.

SuperPlay

Nice work, these look great :-)

tknjin

This is a cool idea, and still better than the US cases especially.  The only thing is, at least for me I am about saving space, and CDr's are just fine and dandy for my saturn collection.  Then again I think CDrs get the point across, and thus im cool with that  :mrgreen: