@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Holiday Swag

Started by Medic_wheat, 12/25/2014, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Let's see what everyone got! 

IMG

Got some cool stuff. Need to teach my wife that if you are giving single issue comics to please bag and board them lol.

Also some gift cards and not pictured a Deadpool hoodie that zippers up into a mask

ToyMachine78

I got a PS4 and the furniture for a proper retro gaming spot. Woo Hoo!

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 12/25/2014, 06:11 PMI got a yellow snes, retron controller and generic av cables/ac adapter, bundled with a 5 pack of sports games...

bah humbug.
I got a $25 gift card to a supermarket, shut up, you win. lol
IMG

PunkCryborg

Here's mine
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=385839
Also got a sweet SNES secret of mana! I lost my copy maybe 15 years ago and I'm glad to have it back  :D

Medic_wheat

I am digging that set up man. Sweet retro corner.

Paddyfitz18

I got one of these converters.  Works great.  Awesome job, db Electronics !

/20141225_112219_zpscu4yqioa.jpg

SephirothTNH

Quote from: guest on 12/25/2014, 06:11 PMI got a yellow snes, retron controller and generic av cables/ac adapter, bundled with a 5 pack of sports games...

bah humbug.
What about that free sealed copy of Magical Chase everyone was tripping over themselves to give you?

I got the first two Hobbit movies on Blu ray and some new shoes.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 12/26/2014, 10:45 AM

bah humbug.
What about that free sealed copy of Magical Chase everyone was tripping over themselves to give you?

I got the first two Hobbit movies on Blu ray and some new shoes.
I am holding out on those hobbit movies to buy them as a set

NightWolve

Hold out for the extended extended versions... That's how I got screwed on the Lord of the Rings movies... Just as I completed owning the whole set, months later I learned that new extended versions were released with an extra 30 minutes and what not... Now I don't care about it anymore and honestly these new Hobbit movies are just good rentals to me.

MrFulci

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/26/2014, 01:47 PMHold out for the extended extended versions... That's how I got screwed on the Lord of the Rings movies... Just as I completed owning the whole set, months later I learned that new extended versions were released with an extra 30 minutes and what not... Now I don't care about it anymore and honestly these Hobbit movies are just good rentals to me.
This is how it operates, with popular movies, and such. Sell, and then sell again, sell again.... Look at star wars. It's normal business.

Buy the new(ish) Blu-ray for Krull. it's $5, just about, and worth it. Krull is good stuff. Better than that newfangled CGI stuff, in those Lord of the Rings movies.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

NightWolve

Yeah, Krull was good stuff and Liam Neeson was in it before his rise to fame. I had a problem not viewing him as an action actor years ago, but now that's mostly what he does and how he got started with the small role in Krull as one of the thieves.

I still remember the great fame quote from the leader of the thieves:
QuotePrince Colwyn: The reward is freedom... and fame!
Torquil: Freedom? We have it! And fame? Nah. It's an empty purse. Count it, go broke. Eat it, go hungry. Seek it, go mad!
Impeccable logic! ;)

MrFulci

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/26/2014, 03:14 PMYeah, Krull was good stuff and Liam Neeson was in it before his rise to fame. I had a problem not viewing him as an action actor years ago, but now that's mostly what he does and how he got started with the small role in Krull as one of the thieves.

Torquil: Freedom? We have it! And fame? Nah. It's an empty purse. Count it, go broke. Eat it, go hungry. Seek it, go mad!
Impeccable logic! ;)
I remember that scene, hard not to, when I watched again, for the first time in many years, this year, with this Blu0ray release.

I liked the film, since it had some unexpected scenes, characters that just, well, die.

I tried watching it about 10-13 years ago, had a hard time getting through it, but something now, later, I found it fun again, like when I was younger. Nostalgia appreciation? . Excalibur is another good one, from around that time, found in the bargain $5 Blu-ray bin.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 12/26/2014, 04:07 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 12/26/2014, 03:14 PMYeah, Krull was good stuff and Liam Neeson was in it before his rise to fame. I had a problem not viewing him as an action actor years ago, but now that's mostly what he does and how he got started with the small role in Krull as one of the thieves.

Impeccable logic! ;)
I remember that scene, hard not to, when I watched again, for the first time in many years, this year, with this Blu0ray release.

I liked the film, since it had some unexpected scenes, characters that just, well, die.

I tried watching it about 10-13 years ago, had a hard time getting through it, but something now, later, I found it fun again, like when I was younger. Nostalgia appreciation? . Excalibur is another good one, from around that time, found in the bargain $5 Blu-ray bin.
Yeah, it's interesting how films can age better/worse depending on __________.

For example, I always thought Excalibur was good, and I wan t to watch it again to see if I feel the same way (I haven't seen it in 20+ years).

However, movies I thought were pure garbage in the 80's-90's...well, I can appreciate them a bit more now.

Ghostbusters II. I saw it when it was in the theaters and hated it. I thought it was garbage.

Jurassic Park II. Same thing.

Well, I just rewatched both movies with my daughter recently and I had to admit that I really liked both of them. In many ways, I liked them better than the originals.

So, with time (and the ability to rewatch stuff at leisure...with little/no financial risk)...my views have changed.

I haven't seen Krull in over 20 years. I gotta watch it again. It was always a movie my friends and I joked about.

YOU KNOW WHAT MOVIE I LOVED BACK IN THE DAY?

Legend.

I saw that in the theatre. Awesome. Will I still like it if I watch it now?

I'm putting it on my list!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Legend is still awesome. I saw it a few years ago when I bought the DVD and it still holds up as a film and its effects.

Hmmm wonder if a Bluray exist for it

MrFulci

There is a Blu-ray for legend, that has both the theatrical and director's cut. Biggest difference I read about, between the 2 edits, is that the theatrical has the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, whereas the other has a more generic, "Fantasy" soundtrack.. Walmart and Amazon were running a special on it, for $5, leading up to Christmas. I bought it, but have yet to view it. It still sells for a similar price.

CrackTiger

My female partner got me Terraforming. The rest are from my in-laws. :)

IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2014, 07:52 PMMy female partner got me Terraforming. The rest are from my in-laws. :)
IMG
Your in-laws are L'awesome.

Damn, that's a gorgeous cover for Sword Master. I don't have that game, so you gotta tell me how the music is. :) SCAN THE COVER FOR ME!

I actually like some of the music in Slime World. The game itself? I never really got into it. I played the game on Lynx, too, back in the day (not recently) and that version didn't grab me, either.

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2014, 08:26 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/28/2014, 07:52 PMMy female partner got me Terraforming. The rest are from my in-laws. :)

Damn, that's a gorgeous cover for Sword Master. I don't have that game, so you gotta tell me how the music is. :) SCAN THE COVER FOR ME!

I actually like some of the music in Slime World. The game itself? I never really got into it. I played the game on Lynx, too, back in the day (not recently) and that version didn't grab me, either.
Here's the scan:

IMG

Sword Master is yet another under-appreciated gem that no one talks about. It's probably the closest thing to Shining Force on PCE. The animated battles feature super detailed and often huge creatures and cool spell effects. The summons in the game are about as good as they get in 16-bit games. The CD tracks are nothing special by PCE standards, but the chip tunes are pretty cool and sound like FM.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2014, 09:31 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/28/2014, 07:52 PMMy female partner got me Terraforming. The rest are from my in-laws. :)

Here's the scan:
IMG
Sword Master is yet another under-appreciated gem that no one talks about. It's probably the closest thing to Shining Force on PCE. The animated battles feature super detailed and often huge creatures and cool spell effects. The summons in the game are about as good as they get in 16-bit games. The CD tracks are nothing special by PCE standards, but the chip tunes are pretty cool and sound like FM.
I never heard of Sword Master...and I did not recognize the cover (hence my post).

Naturally, I am intrigued by everything you just shared with me. Thanks for the scoop.

:)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2014, 10:24 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/28/2014, 09:31 PM

Here's the scan:
IMG
I never heard of Sword Master...and I did not recognize the cover (hence my post).

Naturally, I am intrigued by everything you just shared with me. Thanks for the scoop.

:)
But is it playable for English players or you would need a cheat guide?

esteban

I doubt Sword Master has much English, if any.

CrackTiger

QuoteBut is it playable for English players or you would need a cheat guide?
It's just about as gaijin friendly as it gets. It doesn't use animated icons like Neo Metal Fantasy/Shining games, but the menu navigation (and "RPG" segments) flows as smooth as possible and everything works exactly as you'd expect. Even if you can't read Katakana (a printed-out chart will do the trick), the font and layout of the spells/summons is very easy to recognize.

I don't have time to play through it right now, but I'm going to do my first complete run in an emulator, so I can make a simple how-to-play guide and point out any tricky gaijin-protection.

NecroPhile

Other than some clothes and a varied selection of DVDs and books, the most interesting things I got were a Simpsons trivia game and a complete set of Simpsons Lego mini-figures.  My nephew spent nearly an hour in the store digging through the shelves and carefully feeling each package to find all sixteen.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 12/29/2014, 11:23 AMOther than some clothes and a varied selection of DVDs and books, the most interesting things I got were a Simpsons trivia game and a complete set of Simpsons Lego mini-figures.  My nephew spent nearly an hour in the store digging through the shelves and carefully feeling each package to find all sixteen.  :mrgreen:
Simpsons trivia and Lego figures, sounds awesome! Don't they have sets you could build to go along with the figures? I need to get me some of those though, or at the very least a Milhouse :)

VenomMacbeth

So far, I've gotten:

SNES Blackthorne
TG16 Sidearms
NES Super Contra
Saturn Panzer Dragoon & Salamander Deluxe Pack

Got me some DVDs also:

Roll Bounce
Rifftrax Shorts "May the Shorts Be With You"
MST3K 20th anniversary edition
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Vol. 1
Macross Plus
Armored Trooper Votoms Uoodo City

Also got the book "How To Survive a Sharknado"...aaaand a leaf blower.  Still got one family left to have Christmas with, so we'll see what that holds...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

SuperGrafx

A Merlino Wool sweater
Various gift cards
Sonicare toothbrush

PukeSter

Good luck with Sidearms, venom. Took me 2 whole weeks to beat it.

I got a tasty can of peanuts, a bunch of wii games and Journey for PS3.

My grandma also gave me a $500 check, which I will put in my college fund. :)

TR0N

Beside getting GTAV for christmas just money from family nothing more.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/29/2014, 11:23 AMOther than some clothes and a varied selection of DVDs and books, the most interesting things I got were a Simpsons trivia game and a complete set of Simpsons Lego mini-figures.  My nephew spent nearly an hour in the store digging through the shelves and carefully feeling each package to find all sixteen.  :mrgreen:
That is a devoted nephew!

My wife normally tries to avoid getting my games but I did get some interesting goodies from other folks:

IMG
Christmas 2014 Goodies by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Rengoku II [PSP]
Lord of Arcana [PSP]
Akiba's Trip [PS3]
Beyond: Two Souls [PS3]
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F2 [PS3]

Klingon Bird of Prey Metal Model
Sonic & Blaze Figures with Comic Bundle

And I got this!!

IMG
Wild ARMS 2 Knight Blazer Figure by xcrement5x, on Flickr

A friend got me this for Christmas and it looks awesome, my picture does not do it justice.  It will be out of the box and up on my shelf pretty soon. 

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2015, 04:53 PMRengoku II [PSP]
Mmm, nice.  I want the Rengoku pair because they're Hudson bee goodies and presumably taste like delicious honey.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!