OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Will the Turbo Duo scratch CD's?

Started by Bekic, 02/15/2015, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bekic

Hi, it may seem like a stupid or pointless question but it keeps fucking with my mind so i'm gonna ask it anyway. I recently bought a highly regarded CD game and as a collector ofcourse that too factors in into the condition (the CD itself i mean). With Hu-cards i don't think it's a big issue but should i be getting separate CD's for gameplay? It's really a hassle that i'd rather skip but i don't know.

Bekic

Bernie

No, they do not.  The only part of the disc that contacts anything is the center ring.

Bloufo

eldritch

I don't want to scratch anything so I never play.
I sit in front of my imaginary tv, pushing invisible buttons.
My wife somtimes wipe the yellow goo oozing from my mouth.
My kids often play a game of darts on the target they have drawn on my back.
And my dog growls when I stand up

Bernie

Quote from: eldritch on 02/15/2015, 11:54 AMI don't want to scratch anything so I never play.
This is....disturbing....even for the Bernie....and as Necromancer would say.  " I am....uncomfortable...."

Bekic

Quote from: eldritch on 02/15/2015, 11:54 AMI don't want to scratch anything so I never play.
I know it seems funny and paradoxal in that way that the bare minimum of it's application (playing as opposed to say opening and closing a NES cardboard box all the time) will decrease it's collectability but that's just the way it works.

clackattack

I know that every now and then my TG16/CD will throw a disc around sometimes when it goes through some of the longer load sections in SCD games. Its that damn spindle in the center not holding on to the disc which allows the disc to spin off camber and hit the platter on the underside of the lid. Havent noticed any scratches being caused from this happening, but I always cringe when I hear it
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

SignOfZeta

You clearly don't have the mettle to handle classic gaming.
IMG

wildfruit

My Dreamcast  cries whenever I put a disc in.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/15/2015, 06:35 PMMy Dreamcast  cries whenever I put a disc in.
Mine just goes gurgle gurgle gasp cough cough plfftplftgrrrreeek.

bob

TurboXray

Quote from: Bekic on 02/15/2015, 10:57 AMHi, it may seem like a stupid or pointless question but it keeps fucking with my mind so i'm gonna ask it anyway. I recently bought a highly regarded CD game and as a collector ofcourse that too factors in into the condition (the CD itself i mean). With Hu-cards i don't think it's a big issue but should i be getting separate CD's for gameplay? It's really a hassle that i'd rather skip but i don't know.
What are you thinking!??? You gonna scrape up those beautiful hucard pins. But really, I think obvious answer belongs to obvious question (which is relative, to say).

Also, may you never have a parked laser.

..... I used to call my Duo by the nick name - vas ist los. Now I just call it ol' man; it never gets the CD up and working anymore. I think it's time to retire that son'bitsche to the old farm.

ClodBusted

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/15/2015, 06:35 PMMy Dreamcast  cries whenever I put a disc in.
Sounds like tears of joy.

esteban

TRIVIA: an old band that I really liked was called "Scratch Acid"...but they only put out a few records. Not even.

Back on topic...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

I have never had any of my Duos scratch my discs. However, I have had experienced the dreaded laser mechanism getting locked into place after playing a burnt copy of Meteor Blaster DX. Hence the reason why I shy away from burnt copies of games on my Duo...

NecroPhile

Is this a serious question?  Your discs can certainly get scratched if you mishandle them or if there's something seriously wrong with your system, otherwise nothing touches the data (shiny) portion while a disc is being played.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Sarumaru

Perhaps he's playing his duo on its side, of perhaps he's playing it in a moving vehicle or aircraft carrier. Either way, these are legitimate concerns and you should by 2 or 3 copies of each game.

SignOfZeta

Or perhaps he's owned a PS2, a system so poorly made that it actually will freak the fuck out and bottom out the laser lens right into the disc and scratch the shit out of it.

If not, then really I think he's far too much of a collector pussy to be dealing with 25 year old Japanese techno-mulch.
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/16/2015, 04:43 PMOr perhaps he's owned a PS2, a system so poorly made that it actually will freak the fuck out and bottom out the laser lens right into the disc and scratch the shit out of it.
Both fat and slim models?  I never experienced this (that i know of). But come to think of it, half my games were bought used and already scratched.

Sarumaru

Quote from: galam on 02/16/2015, 04:56 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/16/2015, 04:43 PMOr perhaps he's owned a PS2, a system so poorly made that it actually will freak the fuck out and bottom out the laser lens right into the disc and scratch the shit out of it.
Both fat and slim models?  I never experienced this (that i know of). But come to think of it, half my games were bought used and already scratched.
He's probably talking about the fat as the tray had no real stabilizer for the disc and when powered off, it would often spin for a bit on the actual plastic itself. The slim pop's the disc in place and does not have that issue. I never understood why people would put the first gen ps2 on its side, that's just asking for circular scratches.

CPTRAVE

There you have it. No signs of scratching disk.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Sarumaru on 02/16/2015, 05:39 PM
Quote from: galam on 02/16/2015, 04:56 PM
He's probably talking about the fat as the tray had no real stabilizer for the disc and when powered off, it would often spin for a bit on the actual plastic itself. The slim pop's the disc in place and does not have that issue. I never understood why people would put the first gen ps2 on its side, that's just asking for circular scratches.
They probably played with the PS2 vertical because Sony told them it was an option. Most of the promo shots of the PS2 back then showed the machine in a vertical position. The "PS" logo rotates to accommodate this and Sony sold both a horizontal and a vertical stand to keep it stabilized. All of those things, that's probably why they did it. You can't blame people for not automatically knowing the piece of shit was rigged to self destruct.
IMG

clackattack

I know for a fact that Xbox1 does not properly work when it on its side. Doesnt think a disc is in it until you lay it flat. Once it picks the disc up you can put it back on its side and itll work fine until you decide to change discs... Sh*tbox
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]