Dedicated TurboGrafx Shelf for games

Started by Ayce, 02/18/2015, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayce

I posted my mock-up of this shelf quite some time ago. I've been finished with the shelf for months now, but never got around to ordering the marquee because of how much they wanted to print an mount it. So last night I decided to just buy some Plexiglas and mount it myself. Glad I did because had I ordered it from GameOnGrafix it would have cost me around $70 with shipping and I did this marquee for about $10 and I have left over Plexi.

Anyway here it is side-by-side with the mock-up.
IMG

There are a few things that I would change if I made this again. One would be building trenches for the wires to fit in so they get in the way less of the games. And to put in an ON/OFF switch... I'm still going to do this as plugging it in and unplugging it is a pain in the butt. I want a switch like I installed on my HyperSpin cab that is easy to access in the back.

TurboGrafx

Sadler

Groover

That looks good. I like the sports at the bottom on display. I found that kind of funny.
IMG

Ayce

Quote from: Groover on 02/18/2015, 07:54 PMThat looks good. I like the sports at the bottom on display. I found that kind of funny.
LOL... I just have some spares that I usually have laying on the bottom shelf so I decided to just line them up so they look pretty for the shot.

cr8zykuban0

horey shet! that's an awesome looking shelf~

cjameslv

Good job that shelf is nice looking! Like an Obey shrine  O:)

Medic_wheat

Wow nice.

Has a very arcade cabinet/kiosks store feel that I like.

One thing that might have been cool is for the sign maquee if you could do a "game of the month" slot where you are promoting or displaying the TG game your are currently playing might be kind of cool added touch.

LostFlunky

Nice job!  Did you entertain making this with box height shelves?

Ayce

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 02/18/2015, 09:38 PMNice job!  Did you entertain making this with box height shelves?
Actually that is one of the things in the design process that I was struggling with. Eventually I opted for jewel case height considering I don't have the money to get all games with box. I only have around 20 fully complete games, most of them commons. I have a separate shelf to hold the boxes (not a custom made shelf though).

Gentlegamer

That is awesome! I would personally not put lights on each shelf, though.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DeshDildo

Very cool.  It came out looking great.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ayce

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 02/18/2015, 11:21 PMThat is awesome! I would personally not put lights on each shelf, though.
That was actually why I decided to make the shelf. I was tired of going over to my current shelf and having to turn the light on to find another game to play.

Flare65

schweaty

is that arcade cabinet t-molding?

NecroPhile

Nicely done, though the t-edging is a bit much for my tastes.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

csgx1

Awesome job and cool design.  The lighting is a nice touch.

schweaty

Quote from: guest on 02/19/2015, 11:41 AMNicely done, though the t-edging is a bit much for my tastes.
i think he's going for an arcade cabinet feel with the lit marquee and t-molding.

jordan_hillman

"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

Medic_wheat

esteban

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/19/2015, 04:37 PMSomeone recreate this please
IMG
Comrade, do you know the source of these images? I have never seen any catalogs/brochures that NEC sent directly to retailers...this is the sort of thing one would find in retailer brochures...

DAMN.

Medic_wheat

I just typed Turbo Grafx 16 Kiosk on Google Image and it was listed on someone's photobucket.

esteban

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/19/2015, 04:41 PMI just typed Turbo Grafx 16 Kiosk on Google Image and it was listed on someone's photobucket.
If you find a scanned retailer catalog, please HOLLA!

:)

Gentlegamer

This thread gets the OBEY Dance Seal of Approval

IMG
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Ayce

Quote from: schweaty on 02/19/2015, 10:39 AMis that arcade cabinet t-molding?
Yes it is.

Quote from: schweaty on 02/19/2015, 12:35 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/19/2015, 11:41 AMNicely done, though the t-edging is a bit much for my tastes.
i think he's going for an arcade cabinet feel with the lit marquee and t-molding.
That is exactly it. I have it in the same room as my arcade cabs so I wanted something to pull the arcade cabs over to the home systems in the same room.

clackattack

Freakin' sweet man! That thing looks kick ass! Yea I bulit my own marque for a MAME cabinet a friend and I built a few summers back... way cheaper and much cooler to say you made it yourself. Get yourself a cheap 12v LED strip to use as the light source as those are super easy to tap an in-line switch with... Tell ya what, PM me and I may have a piece of a strip leftover from my built that ill toss you
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Waterclocker

Nice work!  I like the lighting!  Never have to hunt for games in the dark!  Makes me want to build one like it.
My Channel - Pickups, repairs, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CollectingRetro

Needs more OBEY, but I'm working on it.

bob

I like it. Can you take a pic of the lights off in the room and the shelf lit?  I want to see what it looks like in the dark.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: galam on 02/19/2015, 07:53 PMI like it. Can you take a pic of the lights off in the room and the shelf lit?  I want to see what it looks like in the dark.
That's what she said

MrFlutterPie

Ayce

Quote from: clackattack on 02/19/2015, 06:53 PMFreakin' sweet man! That thing looks kick ass! Yea I bulit my own marque for a MAME cabinet a friend and I built a few summers back... way cheaper and much cooler to say you made it yourself. Get yourself a cheap 12v LED strip to use as the light source as those are super easy to tap an in-line switch with... Tell ya what, PM me and I may have a piece of a strip leftover from my built that ill toss you
Thanks, but I already did that ;) The lighting on each of the shelves is the same lighting I used for the marquee.

Quote from: galam on 02/19/2015, 07:53 PMI like it. Can you take a pic of the lights off in the room and the shelf lit?  I want to see what it looks like in the dark.
I tried to take a picture the other night, but it did not turn out well because of the sharp lighting. I'll try again when I get a chance. I'm headed out of town for business this morning so it will have to wait till I get back home.

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2015, 04:40 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/19/2015, 04:37 PMIMG
Comrade, do you know the source of these images? I have never seen any catalogs/brochures that NEC sent directly to retailers...this is the sort of thing one would find in retailer brochures...

DAMN.
Sparky owns that I recall and that's his photobucket account. Ask 'im.

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/20/2015, 08:54 AM
Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2015, 04:40 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/19/2015, 04:37 PMIMG

DAMN.
Sparky owns that I recall and that's his photobucket account. Ask 'im.
Yes, I'll ask him :) , but I actually want the catalog/flyers that NEC provided to retailers. I don't think I have ever seen one.

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

captain_n77

Gorgeous! That really looks amazing. It won't hurt my feeling if you show pics of the whole game room...  8)
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe"

NightWolve

This was part of his game room I guess. Somewhere there's a thread where sparky talked about how he got this I recall.

IMG

SuperPlay

CAPSLOCK

That's a beautiful shelf, really nice work!

esteban

Quote from: Ayce on 02/18/2015, 06:39 PMAnyway here it is side-by-side with the mock-up.
IMG
I still love it.

TurboGrafx

This thread makes me jealous!   :-({|=

xcrement5x

Very cool looking!  Do you have kids though?  If I had that out I'm pretty sure my daughter would destroy whatever she could reach on the bottom.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

GoldenWheels

Man, very nice work--what kind of lights are in it?

I use LED strip lights for projects but they have their limitations. Mostly because my own electrician work has severe limitations. Like, I can plug stuff in, and stuff.

poponon

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 02/23/2015, 06:11 PMMan, very nice work--what kind of lights are in it?

I use LED strip lights for projects but they have their limitations. Mostly because my own electrician work has severe limitations. Like, I can plug stuff in, and stuff.
Kinda OT but try this for setting up LEDs man. http://ledcalc.com/

Ayce

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 11:13 AMVery cool looking!  Do you have kids though?  If I had that out I'm pretty sure my daughter would destroy whatever she could reach on the bottom.
I do have a daughter but she is 10 years old and has been good with handling CDs and DVDs since she was about 3 years old. I taught her how to properly hold them because I get annoyed at discs sitting out of their case and finger prints all over them. So... yeah it's no problem.

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 02/23/2015, 06:11 PMMan, very nice work--what kind of lights are in it?

These >>------<> http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-White-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/B005EHHLD8
I'm no electrician and even I figured this out. I'm a tinkerer when it comes to electronics and usually can figure things out rather easily. They have little solder points to daisy chain them together and then I hooked them up to this ... http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Female-Power-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B00Q1VPFC0/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1424873110&sr=1-12&keywords=ac+adaptor+female+plug ... The female ones that is and hooked up a 12v power supply.

I'm going to pick up a rocker switch and splice it in the wire to finish it off.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: Ayce on 02/25/2015, 09:06 AM

These >>------<> http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-White-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/B005EHHLD8
I'm no electrician and even I figured this out. I'm a tinkerer when it comes to electronics and usually can figure things out rather easily. They have little solder points to daisy chain them together and then I hooked them up to this ... http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Female-Power-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B00Q1VPFC0/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1424873110&sr=1-12&keywords=ac+adaptor+female+plug ... The female ones that is and hooked up a 12v power supply.

I'm going to pick up a rocker switch and splice it in the wire to finish it off.
Huh! I used something very similar to that in my game cabinet, that's why I wondered. I used these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Changing-Flexible-Controller-44-button/dp/B0040FJ27S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1424884436&sr=8-8&keywords=color+led+strips

Which have a remote and do lots of dif colors and flashing/fading patterns. I don't use those features a lot (at all?), but it is neat to show off. I cheated to do turns though...I designed it so I could do one long run and hid the bends behind stuff (wasting the light but allowing me not to have to splice).

GoldenWheels

Quote from: poponon on 02/23/2015, 09:23 PM

Kinda OT but try this for setting up LEDs man. http://ledcalc.com/
Looks like a good resource for the next project, thanks.