takin' it to the hoop - is this game a port of Super Real Basketball (megadrive)

Started by Anthony1, 03/27/2015, 06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony1

For some reason, I feel like Takin' it to the Hoop is a port of another game. The cinema screens it shows when your guy is dunking or shooting a free throw or something... it feels like I've seen those same exact cinemas in some other game. My first thought was that it was basically a PC Engine version of Pat Riley Basketball (Genesis), which of course was Super Real Basketball in Japan.

However, the cinemas are "slightly" different. The art seems extremely similar. I wonder if the developer was the same for both games ?

Takin' it to the Hoop

IMG

IMG

IMG

Super Real Basketball (Pat Riley Basketball) Megadrive / Genesis

IMG

IMG

IMG

bob

i think it was pat riley basketball in the states.  i always knew it was similar, not sure if a "port".  but maybe

CrackTiger

Considering that USA Pro Basketball for PC Engine was released 3 months before Super Real Basketball, I don't think that Takin' it to the Hoop is a port of Pat Riley.

Both were likely farmed out to the team that actually developed Exciting Basket for Konami.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

It was fun seeing the screenshots compared. I never realized how similar the style was.

Double Dribble.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Anthony1

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2015, 06:45 PMConsidering that USA Pro Basketball for PC Engine was released 3 months before Super Real Basketball, I don't think that Takin' it to the Hoop is a port of Pat Riley.

Both were likely farmed out to the team that actually developed Exciting Basket for Konami.
Yeah, I guess calling it a "port" wouldn't be accurate. They were probably developing basically the same game, for two different platforms.  At least it seems that way.

There are other similarities as well. When it shows the cities to choose from, somewhat similar, and when you go to the bench for substitutions it's also quite similar.

ccovell

They were all developed by AICOM, so yes.  Also: several Famicom baskeball games... one of which also has a near-identical cinema scene during shots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aicom

Miracle_Warrior

I'm guessing that between the release of Takin' to the Hoop and Super Real Basketball there was an internal memo that read "Alright folks, our latest market research indicates that the game of basketball is a sport predominantly played by African Americans.  We should strongly consider a bit more ethnic diversity in our next release if we want to move a few more units.  Also, we are moving our Clan meeting to Fridays at 2:00 pm.  See you all there."

Anthony1

Quote from: ccovell on 03/27/2015, 08:41 PMThey were all developed by AICOM, so yes.  Also: several Famicom baskeball games... one of which also has a near-identical cinema scene during shots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aicom
IMG

Yeah, All Pro Basketball does share some similarities too. I knew those cinema scenes seemed familiar.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2015, 06:45 PMConsidering that USA Pro Basketball for PC Engine was released 3 months before Super Real Basketball, I don't think that Takin' it to the Hoop is a port of Pat Riley.

You follow the Japanese market exclusively, don't you? I notice that you usually use the Japanese names of any given game or system.

Anyway this thread has some great info.The Wikipedia article is incomplete. Y'all should fix that. I can't find anything online to indicate that Aicom developed Double Dribble other than the screenshots looking neigh identical to the other basketball games.

ccovell

I doubt that AICOM did any Konami games, as they had relationships with Jaleco, VIC Tokai and Sammy, primarily.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/28/2015, 03:14 AM

You follow the Japanese market exclusively, don't you? I notice that you usually use the Japanese names of any given game or system.

Anyway this thread has some great info.The Wikipedia article is incomplete. Y'all should fix that. I can't find anything online to indicate that Aicom developed Double Dribble other than the screenshots looking neigh identical to the other basketball games.
Aaron should start a PCE Wiki as part of the new supersite, with the knowledgeable members here as editors.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.