Recommend me a good PC Engine platformer

Started by sirhcman, 04/14/2015, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhcman

I've never really delved into the pc engine library much beyond shooters so I am looking for a good PC Engine platformer to play (looking for something that wasn't released state-side). I don't know Japanese so please keep that in mind when recommending something!

Thanks in advance! :)

Otaking

Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo
Rainbow Islands
Daimakaimura / Ghouls 'n Ghosts         
Jigoku Meguri
Mizubaku Daibouken/Liquid Kids
Son Son II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NecroPhile

If you've got a flash cart, both Aoi Blink and Son Son II have translation patches.  If that's a no-go, try Conan, Chiki Chiki Boys, Faussete Amour, Mizubaku Dai Bouken, and/or Youkai Dochuki.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

sirhcman

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/14/2015, 11:43 AMAkumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo
Rainbow Islands
Daimakaimura / Ghouls 'n Ghosts         
Jigoku Meguri
Mizubaku Daibouken/Liquid Kids
Son Son II
Thanks! I have played Dracula X and Ghouls n Ghosts but the others I have not :)

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2015, 11:48 AMIf you've got a flash cart, both Aoi Blink and Son Son II have translation patches.  If that's a no-go, try Conan, Chiki Chiki Boys, Faussete Amour, Mizubaku Dai Bouken, and/or Youkai Dochuki.
I do have the everdrive so I will seek out those patches, awesome! Thanks NecroPhile :)

Everblue

Otaking

Check out the thread "What are your top 5 platform games for the TG-16/PC Engine?" for some more good recommendations.
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17451.0
:D
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Otaking

Quote from: Everblue on 04/14/2015, 11:52 AMJackie Chan as well =)
Jackie Chan is one of the best but he said he was looking for games not released in the US
Quote from: guest on 04/14/2015, 11:25 AMso I am looking for a good PC Engine platformer to play (looking for something that wasn't released state-side.

Everblue

Sorry I wasn't aware it got a US release!

VenomMacbeth

Shubibinman 3 is supposed to be good.  I've only played (and enjoyed!) the second one, but that got a US release.

You may also enjoy New Zealand Story, though it's honestly not the best port...

Exile's action segments are sort of castlevania-esque, and while nowhere near as good, still somehow fun.

I'm a huge fan the Genpei Toumaden games (the first only being released in Japan) but they are definitely not for everyone. The graphics are a little goofy at times & the gameplay is about as quarter-munching as it gets.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

pulstar

I really enjoyed Momotarou Katsugeki...really overlooked little platformer.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Mercutio

How about Kato Chan and Ken Chan? It has to count as "not being released in the USA" due to the amount of pooping in bushes that only occurs in the Japanese version...

sirhcman

Quote from: Mercutio on 04/14/2015, 04:10 PMHow about Kato Chan and Ken Chan? It has to count as "not being released in the USA" due to the amount of pooping in bushes that only occurs in the Japanese version...
I thoroughly enjoyed JJ & Jeff despite the scat!

Mercutio

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2015, 04:16 PM
Quote from: Mercutio on 04/14/2015, 04:10 PMHow about Kato Chan and Ken Chan? It has to count as "not being released in the USA" due to the amount of pooping in bushes that only occurs in the Japanese version...
I thoroughly enjoyed JJ & Jeff despite the scat!
But would you agree that with more bush pooping, it would be even better?

technozombie

I recently played the translated Aoi Blink, was a pretty fun game although I know nothing about the property. I'm assuming it's based on some anime/manga?

esteban

Quote from: technozombie on 04/14/2015, 04:35 PMI recently played the translated Aoi Blink, was a pretty fun game although I know nothing about the property. I'm assuming it's based on some anime/manga?
Yup.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

sirhcman

Thanks guys, I knew you would offer up some awesome suggestions! I am going to start with a few of these and will let you know my opinions once I get down to playing em :)

imparanoic

no pc kid/genjin 2 love ( IMO, one of the best 16bit era platformers) aka in us as bonk's revenge

sirhcman

Quote from: imparanoic on 04/14/2015, 09:43 PMno pc kid/genjin 2 love ( IMO, one of the best 16bit era platformers) aka in us as bonk's revenge
I am looking for non US releases as I have played pretty much every US released Turbo game

tknjin

Quote from: technozombie on 04/14/2015, 04:35 PMI recently played the translated Aoi Blink, was a pretty fun game although I know nothing about the property. I'm assuming it's based on some anime/manga?
There is an interesting story about Aoi Blink that I actually learned from the ebayer by the name of rastergraphics.  He mentioned that Osamu Tezuka(the guy also behind astroboy, blackjack, and kimba the white lion) was also a part of the production of the game, however, passed away due to stomach cancer while the game was in production.  Hudson Soft did what any company could, and they got the team to be able to finish up the game in honor of Tezuka.  It was something along those guidelines, been awhile since I heard the story, but the gist of it is that it was to pay homage to pretty much the "Walt Disney" of Japan. 

As esteban mentioned it is based off one of his anime works.  Here is the 1st episode if you are curious

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: tknjin on 04/26/2015, 08:16 AM
There is an interesting story about Aoi Blink that I actually learned from the ebayer by the name of rastergraphics.  He mentioned that Osamu Tezuka(the guy also behind astroboy, blackjack, and kimba the white lion) was also a part of the production of the game, however, passed away due to stomach cancer while the game was in production.  Hudson Soft did what any company could, and they got the team to be able to finish up the game in honor of Tezuka.  It was something along those guidelines, been awhile since I heard the story, but the gist of it is that it was to pay homage to pretty much the "Walt Disney" of Japan. 

As esteban mentioned it is based off one of his anime works.  Here is the 1st episode if you are curious
Holy crap!!  I might actually have to play this game now; I quite like Tezuka's work. :)
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Yeezus.
Tezuka.

Which one did I want?

Which one was the top-suggestion for auto-correct?

xcrement5x

Aoi Blink is also speculated to have been what was going to be Hudson Vol 26
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Digi.k

think I am going to pick this game up now too. I was going to recommend Ninja spirit but the prices seemed to have jumped up,,,

ToyMachine78

Can anyone tell me if FAUSSETÉ AMOUR and Xak Gaiden are worth the price of admission?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2015, 06:59 PMCan anyone tell me if FAUSSETÉ AMOUR and Xak Gaiden are worth the price of admission?
Fausette Amour is a solid game with lots of real platforming gameplay, but not worth more than many other PCE games if you are equally a fan of all genres. Any game over $60 should be previewed on cdr first, if you care about the price of admission. If price isn't factored in, I'd recommend FA over all other PCE games as a true platformer (not just a mascot game).

Fray is neat to play through, but nothing too special, but it's also cheap now so it's definitely worth buying.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

Yes! Fray is definitely worth a purchase!

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2015, 06:59 PMCan anyone tell me if FAUSSETÉ AMOUR and Xak Gaiden are worth the price of admission?
As mentioned by others, Faussete Amour is a bit pricy, but I would still recommend both it an Fray.  Get and play them both if you can.

Jimmy Hapa

I had a lot of fun with Dragon Egg from Masaya.  You play as a girl who is in possession of the last dragon egg in her world, which she uses initially as a means of attack, but with power-ups, the egg will gradually grow into a full-sized dragon which she can ride.  It's pretty fun, tried-and-true platforming, but can be beaten in under twenty minutes if you know what you're doing.  I'd recommend it if you see it for cheap...I think I paid a little over $30 for mine complete.

Another person mentioned Momotarou Katsugeki, and I second that.  Classic gameplay, colorful graphics, and great personality to that one.  Plus, it's so cheap! :)
Viktor: "Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
Flik: "Yeah, too bad I have to fight alongside you."
youtube.com/c/ImportGamingFTW

CrackTiger

First time I tried Dragon Egg, I made it all the way through without dying. Then I did it again on the hardest difficulty. Then I recorded a longplay and haven't played it again since.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/14/2015, 01:16 PMYou may also enjoy New Zealand Story, though it's honestly not the best port...
Why not? What is the best port in your opinion?

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2015, 12:26 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/14/2015, 01:16 PMYou may also enjoy New Zealand Story, though it's honestly not the best port...
The music is a little grating, not that it was spectacular to begin with, and the controls seem a little off - particularly in the balloons.  I like the Mega Drive and Master System ports equally, for different reasons.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 05/15/2015, 12:33 PM
The music is a little grating, not that it was spectacular to begin with, and the controls seem a little off - particularly in the balloons.  I like the Mega Drive and Master System ports equally, for different reasons.
This is a game I've always wanted but could never decide on a port. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tknjin

If you need help on help on deciding a port one of the good people from the assembler forums(goes by yakumo) did a ports comparison. This is a series he has done for a little while now called battle of the ports. 

Here is the link
This is to @o.pwuaioc

Cogwheels

I've got Son Son II and Tonma on the way. Looking forward to giving those a blast  O:)

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2015, 03:57 AMThis is a game I've always wanted but could never decide on a port. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The clear winner for best music in a port of New Zealand Story is "Kiwi Kraze" on the NES.

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 05/16/2015, 07:18 AM
Quote from: guest on 05/16/2015, 03:57 AMThis is a game I've always wanted but could never decide on a port. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The clear winner for best music in a port of New Zealand Story is "Kiwi Kraze" on the NES.
This was precisely what I thought, too.

Also, I thought the PCE version was decent compared to the arcade (granted, I only played arcade via MAME, but still...)

elmer

Quote from: tknjin on 05/16/2015, 06:01 AMIf you need help on help on deciding a port one of the good people from the assembler forums(goes by yakumo) did a ports comparison. This is a series he has done for a little while now called battle of the ports. 

Here is the link
Thanks for that, it was fun to see a lot of those old home computer versions again.

I remember the horror when the C64 and Amstrad versions turned up in the office.

Digi.k

colors are a bit drab on the pce, the intro is missing (but it's present on other systems) and music could have been done better.  When you look at Taito's other pce games this one it felt like they didn't give too much of a shit when they made it.

I consider most of these to be platformers.  Some are kinda like hybrid platformers.

IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: Cogwheels on 05/16/2015, 06:41 AMI've got Son Son II and Tonma on the way. Looking forward to giving those a blast  O:)
Both of those games are true 16-bit classics.

SonSon II is pretty obscure, but it does have a helpful fansite if you can't read the Japanese.
http://www.changevworld.com/sonson2/sonson2.htm

CrackTiger

Quote from: PukeSter on 05/17/2015, 10:09 PM
Quote from: Cogwheels on 05/16/2015, 06:41 AMI've got Son Son II and Tonma on the way. Looking forward to giving those a blast  O:)

SonSon II is pretty obscure, but it does have a helpful fansite if you can't read the Japanese.
Reading Japanese is irrelevant, as even that site points out that the game has been translated into English.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: ccovell on 05/16/2015, 07:18 AM
I do dig those tunes, but on the NES it is butt-ugly.

Seems like all of the console ports are deficient in some major way. NES is terribly ugly; PCE is prettier, but not by much, and sounds worse; Master System is missing warps; Mega Drive is not even the real game. My only classic computer is a C64, so that's written off, too.

Maybe I should hold onto my Taito Legends disc a little longer.

PukeSter

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/17/2015, 10:15 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 05/17/2015, 10:09 PM

Reading Japanese is irrelevant, as even that site points out that the game has been translated into English.
Considering he actually bought the game, and didn't download the rom, yes it is a helpful site.

Jimmy Hapa

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2015, 12:23 PMFirst time I tried Dragon Egg, I made it all the way through without dying. Then I did it again on the hardest difficulty. Then I recorded a longplay and haven't played it again since.
Yeah, it's really a shame about the length and lack of challenge in the game.  With a little more polish, difficulty, and maybe some story bits outside of the introduction, Dragon Egg could have been a classic, IMO.
Viktor: "Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
Flik: "Yeah, too bad I have to fight alongside you."
youtube.com/c/ImportGamingFTW