Falcom readying Ys VIII for the PS4 and PSVITA.

Started by NightWolve, 04/16/2015, 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

HailingTheThings

Quck, how much are pees4s, like $5, right? Gotta go fast!!!
IMG

ToyMachine78

I wanna be excited for this, but something about Y's in 3D is unappealing. You would think with the retro craze, and so many of the classics going for retail+ prices now, some of the major developers would take a chance on new stuff in 2D.

LostFlunky

Cool - but did anything about that video seem like it couldn't have been done on PS3?  It actually looks like Vita footage if anything. 

Hoping for a localization...

SplatterTrigger

MNKyDeth

It looks about right for a PS4. Gotta remember that the PS4 and Xbox1 are just PC's this time around since they use the x86 cpu's with built in gpu's from AMD. So... because of the cpu and gpu that is involved you technically could build a $300 PC that is more powerfull.

But, you only buy consoles now for exclusives imo. If they are cross platform you buy it for PC as that is always the best option for smoothness and clarity. Just slap whatever controller you prefer from MS or Sony and it's just like a console on steroids.

Anyways, yeah, if this comes out on the PS4 and is exclusive I will buy it as I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne. I don't own any other games on that console yet as there are none others worth buying yet, imo again. :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2015, 10:53 PMI wanna be excited for this, but something about Ys in 3D is unappealing. You would think with the retro craze, and so many of the classics going for retail+ prices now, some of the major developers would take a chance on new stuff in 2D.
Their entire lineup has been done or redone in 3D, so I don't see them back pedaling, nor do I particularly want them to.  Have you even tried any of the PS2/PSP/PC games?  They're quite fun.

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 04/17/2015, 09:13 AMSo... because of the cpu and gpu that is involved you technically could build a $300 PC that is more powerfull.
Yeah, good luck with that.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2015, 09:59 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/16/2015, 10:53 PMI wanna be excited for this, but something about Ys in 3D is unappealing. You would think with the retro craze, and so many of the classics going for retail+ prices now, some of the major developers would take a chance on new stuff in 2D.
Their entire lineup has been done or redone in 3D, so I don't see them back pedaling, nor do I particularly want them to.  Have you even tried any of the PS2/PSP/PC games?  They're quite fun.

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 04/17/2015, 09:13 AMSo... because of the cpu and gpu that is involved you technically could build a $300 PC that is more powerfull.
No I haven't. I guess I'm afraid of the letdown. I think it would be the same for me as Castlevania going 3D. Those games just don't feel like castlevania to me.

I don't think it would back pedaling or a step down to continue to produce 2D games. Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD is 2D/2.5D and its a beautiful game. Really fun too.

JoshTurboTrollX

Ys 6 & 7 in 3D is FAR BETTER than any Castlevania game since going 3D.  You would be pleasantly surprised I think.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MNKyDeth

Ok, I take that back. I just priced out the parts on newegg, it would cost me about $370 to make a more powerfull computer cpu and gpu wise compared to either of the newest consoles.

pulstar

I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed Memories of Celceta and this looks bigger and better. I'll probably be getting this on Vita unless the PS4 version is expanded.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

seieienbu

Last Ys I played was 7.  I preferred the gameplay from 6, Oath, and Origin to that found in 7 but oh well.  I'm looking forward to playing this; I'm glad Ys is back on a non-handheld platform at least.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xcrement5x

Looks interesting!  I'm not sure about the third person view going on there but will give it a try. 

And as always, the music sounded awesome.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

munchiaz

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 04/17/2015, 10:53 AM
Ok, I take that back. I just priced out the parts on newegg, it would cost me about $370 to make a more powerfull computer cpu and gpu wise compared to either of the newest consoles.
yeah with no OS

Dicer

Pretty much how I feel, this may be marked as "Ys" but it looks generic as fuck...and lol at the animation, what year is it?

geise

Quote from: Dicer on 04/24/2015, 09:51 AM
Pretty much how I feel, this may be marked as "Ys" but it looks generic as fuck...and lol at the animation, what year is it?
Animation doesn't look any different than 7 or Celceta.  The climbing was kinda eh... though.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Dicer on 04/24/2015, 09:51 AM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 04/16/2015, 11:01 PMCool - but did anything about that video seem like it couldn't have been done on PS3?  It actually looks like Vita footage if anything. 

Hoping for a localization...
If there has ever been a Falcom game with remotely "current gen" graphics, I've never played it. Consider Ys V was on the market the same time as Beyond Oasis...I'd much rather play Ys, but come on...which one of those games looks like it's about a million times more high end than the other?

Ys games are low tech last gen stuff. It's OK. It's always been this way. Combine this with the fact that almost everything coming out of Japan now looks like it's from 2005...

If anything about this game turns me off its that it looks too modern, sorta reminds me of Monster Hunter. I just hope it isn't some MMO freemium bullshit.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I was quite happy with the 3D engine they started using with Ys VI in 2003 which continued on with Felghana and Ys Origin. You have to give it a chance and now I couldn't imagine it any other way! I mean, Felghana was a masterpiece in every aspect - fun bosses, good story, an exceptional soundtrack PCE style, etc.! It's a shame if there's refusal to try 'em cause of some anti-3D bias and what not.

Full Sized: https://www.ysutopia.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_61.jpg
https://www.ysutopia.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_72.jpg
https://www.ysutopia.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_73.jpg
https://www.ysutopia.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_64.jpg
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

That's all with my English fan patch and an import copy of a Falcom DVD release (2005 Limited Edition).

SephirothTNH

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/28/2015, 10:39 PMIt's a shame if there's refusal to try 'em cause of some anti-3D bias and what not.
Agreed.  This series is a good example of "doing it right" when moving from 2D into 3D.

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/28/2015, 10:39 PMThat's all with my English fan patch and an import copy of a Falcom DVD release (2005 Limited Edition).
I always really liked the font you picked for this game.

NightWolve

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 04/29/2015, 12:34 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/28/2015, 10:39 PMThat's all with my English fan patch and an import copy of a Falcom DVD release (2005 Limited Edition).
I always really liked the font you picked for this game.
Ah, good ole Hooteroll! That was the best I ever found in my book. I do recall one know-it-all though carping about it, got all "WHO would use Hooteroll in a game ??" Nobody ever helped or offered a suggestion on a font when I needed it, but there's always a bitch out there to shoot a choice down in the aftermath. I was meaning to make it better known or make a font switching app, but if you just delete the hooteroll.ttf file and replace it with your own choice, it'll load. Wrapping will be affected (also dependent on resolution) but it is switchable.

P.S. I used it again. ^^ See www.ysutopia.net

SephirothTNH

Yeah there's always at least one.  No desire to ever offer any help but will gladly critique your every decision after the fact. 

I love the hooteroll font.  Nice comic look and still easily readable.

EDIT:  Ah cool.  I'll have to give your new patch a spin.  Maybe I should post it elsewhere and see how many feathers get ruffled.