Retronauts Episode 38: The Bonk Series

Started by jlued686, 04/28/2015, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

IMGhttps://retronauts.com/

I'm about halfway through, and man...there are a few things said in this episode that I know are going to piss off people around here.

Here's a sample: "I upgraded to a Super NES."  :D

Nevertheless, I'm a fan of the podcast and enjoyed listening to this episode.

Sadler

Haven't listened yet, but as much as I enjoy Bob Mackey, he sure does talk a lot of shit about the TG16.

bob

GoldenWheels

Ha! Just listened to this this morning. The retronauts crew is hit or miss for me and I don't know enough about Bonk's history to pick out any mistakes but I liked it. Now that they have exhausted so many of the easy topics they are actually getting more focused and interesting (IMO)....I mean christ they did an episode on Joe and Mac.

I do know they seem unable to resist mentioning Johnny Turbo any time they mention the TG.

SignOfZeta

Oh good, I've been wanting to listen to someone read Wikipedia entries out loud to me while semi-accurately reminiscing things they experienced 25 years ago from the perspective of an eight year old.
IMG

jlued686

Ray Barnholt seems to be the only one who has any real knowledge and affection for the Turbo/PC Engine. He's a big Hudson fan, so that probably helps. I wish they would've had Christian Nutt on for this episode, since he's a huge Turbo fan.

esteban

I am going to listen to this.

I guess I'll be entertained? Annoyed?

Here's the thing: these folks should know better.

I really am finicky. A friend was making an unfair criticism of El Viento the other day.

So I actually had to defend El Viento, even though I feel that El Viento is grossly over-praised.

I feel like that with most "mainstream" reports on TG-16/PCE...where I want/need to defend basic issues, even though, in reality, I am actually more critical of TG-16/PCE...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

i havent listened yet, but jeremy parrish is one of my favorites.  im not sure if hes in this one, but i like a lot of his work from gamespite

jeffhlewis

I've been a fan of Retronauts since the dark ages, but I gotta say that this season has devolved into a complete and total Nintendo circle jerk, more so than previous seasons. The recent Super Mario World episode was particularly slurpy.

jlued686

The only thing that really bothers me about Retronauts is the amount of speculation/conjecture. Bob Mackey seems to be the biggest culprit, while Jeremy and Ray try to reign him in. Generally.

I don't like to come down on the show, though, as all of them, and their guests, are pretty enthusiastic about classic games. And I really like listening to Jeremy, Bob, and Ray. Ray especially seems to have the most knowledge about non-mainstream stuff. But as Jeff said, I wish their knowledge of classic gaming went further beyond Nintendo. And I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/28/2015, 11:29 AMOh good, I've been wanting to listen to someone read Wikipedia entries out loud to me while semi-accurately reminiscing things they experienced 25 years ago from the perspective of an eight year old.
Haven't listened to it yet, but this is what I'm expecting.
IMG

jeffhlewis

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/30/2015, 03:15 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/28/2015, 11:29 AMOh good, I've been wanting to listen to someone read Wikipedia entries out loud to me while semi-accurately reminiscing things they experienced 25 years ago from the perspective of an eight year old.
Out of all of the "retro gaming" podcasts, these guys tend to be the most researched and factually correct of the bunch. They make mistakes occasionally and are generally Nintendo-centric, but they keep on topic very well and dig up some interesting stuff you might not know.

bob

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/01/2015, 10:51 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/30/2015, 03:15 PM
Out of all of the "retro gaming" podcasts, these guys tend to be the most researched and factually correct of the bunch. They make mistakes occasionally and are generally Nintendo-centric, but they keep on topic very well and dig up some interesting stuff you might not know.
right.  it is what it is, you dont have to agree with everything, but they are way more tolerable to listen to than 90% of the other moronic, snot nosed casters and toobers out there.  chances are you will at least learn some new nugget of info since they seem to know lineage and cross polination of various characters and series.

Mzo

By some miracle, Bob Mackey actually played a game that they're talking about that isn't a majorly popular game on a Nintendo platform.  Praise be.

I strongly disagree with their opinion of the original Bonk.  I think the first game is the best in the series.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Gredler

Quote from: Mzo on 05/01/2015, 06:24 PMBy some miracle, Bob Mackey actually played a game that they're talking about that isn't a majorly popular game on a Nintendo platform.  Praise be.

I strongly disagree with their opinion of the original Bonk.  I think the first game is the best in the series.
I listened to this today at work. I was surprised to hear some of the info about the phone and arcade versions, and other tidbits I was unaware of. It's always fun to hear peoples opinions about older games that  are played after later advancements, so I was interested and not surprised to hear their opinion of Bonk's Adventure. I am with you though Mzo, it may be nostalgia speaking to me but nothing feels like or is as enjoyable as the first Bonk to me.

jlued686

I think this has come up before, but I prefer how Bonk controls in the first game, but enjoy the level design better in Revenge.

Mzo

The presentation was better in Revenge but the controls and especially the boss fights weren't as good for me.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

TR0N

I listen to the entire thing last week.Though i didn't agree with bob mackey,discounting bonks adventure so much.It's fine he likes revenge the most but i don't see bonks adventure as a bad game.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec