Turbo Zone Direct website on the internet archive

Started by Otaking, 05/08/2015, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

In this thread I mentioned Telegames pcengine-fx.com/?topic=19028.30

I thought to checkout what their website looked like in the nineties on the internet archive.
wayback.telegames.co.uk/a000_38.html

I then thought to have a look at Turbo Zone Direct, checkout their prices!
wayback.tzd.com/games.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

DragonmasterDan

I ordered from TZD quite a few times, everything from manuals to controllers, to a few games.

Telegames was doing a lot of the TurboGrafx PAL distribution, they were also selling a reasonably inexpensive HuCard convertor (Barney) until a few years ago.
--DragonmasterDan

Alt-Nintega

=D> thanks for posting that!!! so cool to see retro store like that. Samurai Ghost was the lowest priced game there lol.

Hey what do you think happened to all the unsold stock once TZD pulled the plug? Could it be that they just junked or incinerated it all?

jelloslug

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 05/08/2015, 03:22 PM=D> thanks for posting that!!! so cool to see retro store like that. Samurai Ghost was the lowest priced game there lol.

Hey what do you think happened to all the unsold stock once TZD pulled the plug? Could it be that they just junked or incinerated it all?
Where do you think all the sealed games on ebay came from?

mitsuman

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/08/2015, 12:53 PMI ordered from TZD quite a few times, everything from manuals to controllers, to a few games
Same here.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/08/2015, 03:22 PM=D> thanks for posting that!!! so cool to see retro store like that. Samurai Ghost was the lowest priced game there lol.

TZD had a final "losing our lease" (warehouse lease) and then sold remaining stock to RedFrogUSA (a now defunct? online retailer).

https://archives.tg-16.com/duo_world_0003.htm#post_mortem_turbo_zone_direct

If you are curious about the history of TTi and TZD.com, just read from the beginning of the page :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MotherGunner

A lot of people still don't know:  Before it was Turbo Zone "Direct," it was a physical mall store called "Turbo Zone."

Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City, CA had one.  I bought my TG, TE, and other games there.  Sadly, I never took a picture.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

Quote from: MotherGunner on 05/08/2015, 03:51 PMA lot of people still don't know:  Before it was Turbo Zone "Direct," it was a physical mall store called "Turbo Zone."

Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City, CA had one.  I bought my TG, TE, and other games there.  Sadly, I never took a picture.
Thank you! I have to add that to the history of TTi!

mickcris

I think I remember ordering a multap from them which allowed you to use normal tg16 controllers on a turbo duo.  I dont have it anymore though.  all it was though was just a tg16 multap with the cable from a pc engine multitap.

BigusSchmuck

Ahh memories.. I recall when they were selling refurbished Turbo systems back in the mid 90s.. Might have been Gamedude that did that, but they had like descriptions on the condition of the turbos like this one needs loving $10! :)

SignOfZeta

Nobody on Earth ever sold Duos for $10.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread that. $10 TG-16s, sure, I can see that.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: mickcris on 05/08/2015, 06:25 PMI think I remember ordering a multap from them which allowed you to use normal tg16 controllers on a turbo duo.  I dont have it anymore though.  all it was though was just a tg16 multap with the cable from a pc engine multitap.
This was called a reverse Turbo tap.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

So, I actually bought more stuff from TZD via the flyers they sent snail-mail. This would be mid-to-late 90's.  It was an annual/biannual ritual...whenever I got a flyer, I bought a few games. I CHOSE SO POORLY. I really, really kick myself for buying crap like Bravoman and Deep Blue instead of the TTi later releases. I AM AN IDIOT. But, I was curious about the older games and never thought I couldn't grab Might & Magic III cheap at some point.

IMG

NOTE: Does anyone else find it amusing that "SHT" was the code for shooter?

IMG

I am assuming that the $14.99 TurboExpress carrying case was a softcase and not the plastic hardcase (I lust for)?

Does anyone know?

NightWolve

Nice blast from the past. Yeah, I bought a few things from the TZD flyers and over the phone BITD pre-Internet.

Here was one of those items, I saved the receipt: ^ _ ^

IMG

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/09/2015, 10:53 AMNice blast from the past. Yeah, I bought a few things from the TZD flyers and over the phone BITD pre-Internet.

Here was one of those items. ^_^

IMG
I love the receipt! I don't think I kept any of my receipts.

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 05/10/2015, 07:37 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 05/09/2015, 10:53 AMNice blast from the past. Yeah, I bought a few things from the TZD flyers and over the phone BITD pre-Internet.

IMG
I love the receipt! I don't think I kept any of my receipts.
Looks like good ole Corel Wordperfect to me was used to print that out. ; )

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Bake

In 2002, I bought a new Turbo CD player from TZD for $130. I also still have the receipt and the huge box it came in- they shipped it using that box. More importantly, since I never got a duo, I still play games on it. They didn't even advertise it on their website. I called up and at some point told the rep that I wished I could play CD games. He let me in on their secret that they had just a few cd units, and offered to sell one to me (I think for being a regular costumer but who knows). Lucky break, especially at that price! I can't imagine how much it would go for today.

technozombie

Being the lifelong gamer that I am, I used to pop by TZD and drool over stuff that I wanted but never could afford. Does anyone remember a game website called cart-mart.com?

Edit found it on the internet archive:
wayback.cart-mart.com/shop/product.asp?pf_id=2200100117D01NYY

NecroPhile

Like este, I bought stuff off their mailed flyers; about twice a year, when they'd do their BOGO sales, I'd buy a half dozen games or so.  Also like este, I bought far too many meh games when I should've been buying more rarez.  Damn hindsight.

IMG
With an apostrophe..... those bastards.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

I know I got a few things from them but the only one I can specifically remember was the reprint of Yuna 1. I did get all the flyers though.

Now I remember, I bought some of those dodgy AV cables from them as well, that was after they went online.
IMG

GohanX

Someone first directed me to the site around 2000-2001 or so to let me know they still had new Duos for $200. Having never owned a Turbob but always wanting one I grabbed it with the quickness along with the Gates 4 in 1, Lords, and some hucards and Drac X from eBay. Good times.

I sold that duo still mint and compete for $180. Fuck me.

albatross

wow very cool!  makes me wish i had a hot tub time machine...

thanks for sharing that!

geise

Quote from: guest on 05/11/2015, 01:55 PMWith an apostrophe..... those bastards.
Ha!  I didn't even notice that.

seieienbu

It's kinda funny.  There were a bunch of games on TZD even at the end of the site that I didn't own but figured I'd purchase at some point but never did.  I really wish that I'd taken advantage of the site more and gotten more games that I wanted 15 years ago.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

geise

Word.  The winds of change were not good to our system.  Don't feel bad.  I passed on Magical Chase cause it was still full price at 49.99 near the end of 93 at Babbages.  I saw Valis III, Dead Moon, Side Arms, and Neutopia II were all on sale and together were less than $50.  So, I made the smart choice!  :lol:  I actually don't regret it that much.   I got games I actually enjoy more than MC.  I just lost out on an "investment" opportunity.

seieienbu

Yeah, from an enjoyment perspective you definitely won there.  From the "Man, 20 years later I'll bet this'll go for $5,000!" perspective, well, you're clearly not psychic.  I definitely would've made the same decision.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93