Darkwing Duck - Angry Video Game Nerd

Started by Gentlegamer, 05/13/2015, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentlegamer

Your favorite youtube reviewer returns with an OBEY episode!

IMG
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Psycho Punch

Very funny video! I personally think that James is best when doing his nerd character, and not when he teams up with mike to play retro games and read their wikipedia entry.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gredler

FiftyQuid

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

technozombie

Pretty funny, not too over the top. I wonder how the game would be w/o all the hit detection issues. Visually it looks pretty good.

DragonmasterDan

I believe this is his first TG16 specific episode.
--DragonmasterDan

Otaking

My only gripe is he doesn't like the console name "PC Engine", he's also mentioned this in a couple of his other videos. I cannot abide anyone who doesn't respect the PC Engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esadajr

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/14/2015, 04:15 AMI believe this is his first TG16 specific episode.
It is.

TG16 wise i cant think of a worse game. Wouldnt be surprised if this is the last TG16 title he reviews.
Gaming since 1985

Otaking

Quote from: esadajr on 05/14/2015, 07:16 AMTG16 wise i cant think of a worse game. Wouldnt be surprised if this is the last TG16 title he reviews.
But that's the whole point of AVGN, to play bad games, to find the worst games for a system.
I think there are worse games on the TG-16 than Darkwing Duck
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/14/2015, 07:28 AM
Quote from: esadajr on 05/14/2015, 07:16 AMTG16 wise i cant think of a worse game. Wouldnt be surprised if this is the last TG16 title he reviews.
But that's the whole point of AVGN, to play bad games, to find the worst games for a system.
But he doesn't spend time with niche systems. Unless he personally became interested/intrigued with TG-16/PCE (which could happen, but I doubt it), he seems to enjoy lampooning better-known games/licenses on better-known platforms.

MY THEORY: He chose Darkwing Duck ***because*** it was a Disney license that was atrocious. I don't think he cared that this was on TG-16 (TG-16 is a novelty, sure, but not the primary reason for the episode).

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I look forward to it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 05/14/2015, 07:47 AM
But he doesn't spend time with niche systems. Unless he personally became interested/intrigued with TG-16/PCE (which could happen, but I doubt it), he seems to enjoy lampooning better-known games/licenses on better-known platforms.

MY THEORY: He chose Darkwing Duck ***because*** it was a Disney license that was atrocious. I don't think he cared that this was on TG-16 (TG-16 is a novelty, sure, but not the primary reason for the episode).

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I look forward to it.
At the beginning of this episode he basically says he exhausted the library of bad games to play, and is struggling to find anymore bad games to review as he flicks through some NES games.
So then he says he's going to do something he's never done before and do a TG-16 review.

Medic_wheat

I think he is going to move away more so from NES and start with 16-bit games in a similar fashion as he did with the original NES.

He may even dip his toe into the Neo Geo leading up to the Dreamcast and PS2 era. Or possibly do a episode on handheld gaming.

If he is to continue with the nerd episodes he will need to start reviewing retro systems and games that are slightly newer to the collector market such as the 16-bit and N64.

esadajr

...I think there are worse games on the TG-16 than Darkwing Duck
Which ones would be worse?

I still rather play Imposamole, Bravoman or Deep Blue.
Gaming since 1985

Otaking

Quote from: esadajr on 05/14/2015, 09:30 AM

Off the top of my head I think Gun Boat, Falcon and Deep Blue are definitely worse than Darkwing Duck.

I bought Darkwing Duck when it was released and yes I was disappointed and I thought it was rubbish.
But not to same level as the three atrocities I mentioned above.

Actually of the ones you mentioned I would say Impossamole is also worse.
I mildly enjoyed Bravoman.

Wiggy1182

I enjoyed it. I'm glad he kept the review somewhat tame. I think as he has gotten older, his old over the top schtick has gotten somewhat tired. I still very much enjoy him, but I find he is now more entertaining just giving an honest hate filled review of a bad game then going ape shit.

I'd love to see him do a review of Yo' Bro next.

JoshTurboTrollX

Funny video, glad to see the Turbo finally gets some love... er hate.

I actually smiled when he said he hasn't had a real need to do a Turbografx game because there is less shovel-worthy shit games on the Turbo when compared to other consoles.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Night Creatures

CPTBadAss

I laughed haha. The part where he tries to grab the floating D cracked me up
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/14/2015, 09:41 AM

Off the top of my head I think Gun Boat, Falcon and Deep Blue are definitely worse than Darkwing Duck.

I bought Darkwing Duck when it was released and yes I was disappointed and I thought it was rubbish.

I hear you :)

I have no desire to play Falcon, but it would be a boring review. There isn't much to say: you either like combat sim or you don't.

I think Gunboat has a lot more going for it than Falcon, but most folks don't even know the control scheme (a fellow member explained the controls in a wonderful thread here a few years ago, it really made me realize that I had unfairly judged the game). Still, Gunboat would be rather boring to review. 

Deep Blue is definitely a contender, but, again, there isn't much to show/say about the game. But, because it has more "action" than sims like Funboat/Falconfun, it might actually be more entertaining. At least you could make lots of jokes about sea creatures.

I think Ballistix is a crappy game, but I think it would make a boring video...

The problem with Falcon, Deep Blue, etc. is that they lack a personality.

At least with Bravoman and Impossamole (I actually prefer Impossamole, I beat the game many times and it is not nearly as Boeing as Bravoman, IMHO), there is something to say about stage design, characters, story, etc. in addition to the usual technical complaints such as poor controls, poor collision detection, etc.

Somebody suggested Yo Bro...that could be a good one, it has personality/content/pop cultural references (Beach Boys, Little Shop of Horrors, etc)

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: CPTBadAss on 05/14/2015, 11:08 AMI laughed haha. The part where he tries to grab the floating D cracked me up
The part with the short controller cord had me in stitches.  Great skit!  LOL
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

esteban

Quote from: agent_orange on 05/14/2015, 02:11 PMI very much enjoy bravoman
I hope to find something compelling in the game, but so far it hasn't intrigued me.

Don't get me wrong, it has potential...but the level design/obstacles/enemies are rather bland.

I will still give the game the benefit of doubt, though.

NecroPhile

Well, that wasn't horrible but it wasn't all that great either.  For all his bitching about the hit detection, which is indeed wonky, many of his "misses" were legitimate; like with Tuskernini - you're supposed to hit him in the head, not his shoulder or arm.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

Gentlegamer

Does anyone see the youtube embed properly? It's showing a "device support" error in the thread, but appears normal in the edit screen.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

ClodBusted

DragonmasterDan

Gunboat and Falcon immediately spring to mind.

Night Creatures is bad, but I think Darkwing may be a little worse in terms of how it plays, but it's one of the better looking games on the system so I'd call that a draw. I think Talespin is better than Darkwing.
--DragonmasterDan

DildoKKKobold

It seemed like a very short Nerd video, and really lacked the passion and effort previous AVGN videos have shown. He didn't even bother to get anywhere in the game, and its not a particularly difficult game to beat. I feel like he's kind of sick of his own character, and is just phoning it in to keep the relevancy of his channel up. He gets a ton of views on his "James & Mike play" videos, which are easier to make. I doubt those videos would survive on their own... they just aren't that interesting. Gotta keep that youtube revenue stream coming.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 04:28 PMPlease see this post for an explanation:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=406579
I figured it was youtube shenagegans. I updated the first post.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 04:52 PMIt seemed like a very short Nerd video, and really lacked the passion and effort previous AVGN videos have shown. He didn't even bother to get anywhere in the game, and its not a particularly difficult game to beat. I feel like he's kind of sick of his own character, and is just phoning it in to keep the relevancy of his channel up. He gets a ton of views on his "James & Mike play" videos, which are easier to make. I doubt those videos would survive on their own... they just aren't that interesting. Gotta keep that youtube revenue stream coming.
His videos have seemed very uninspired for a while now. That's what a wife and kid do to you. Not a whole lotta time for much else.

seieienbu

Quote from: esteban on 05/14/2015, 11:18 AMI have no desire to play Falcon, but it would be a boring review. There isn't much to say: you either like combat sim or you don't.

I think Gunboat has a lot more going for it than Falcon, but most folks don't even know the control scheme (a fellow member explained the controls in a wonderful thread here a few years ago, it really made me realize that I had unfairly judged the game). Still, Gunboat would be rather boring to review. 

Deep Blue is definitely a contender, but, again, there isn't much to show/say about the game. But, because it has more "action" than sims like Funboat/Falconfun, it might actually be more entertaining. At least you could make lots of jokes about sea creatures.

At least with Bravoman and Impossamole (I actually prefer Impossamole, I beat the game many times and it is not nearly as Boeing as Bravoman, IMHO), there is something to say about stage design, characters, story, etc. in addition to the usual technical complaints such as poor controls, poor collision detection, etc.

Somebody suggested Yo Bro...that could be a good one, it has personality/content/pop cultural references (Beach Boys, Little Shop of Horrors, etc)
I don't think Darkwing Duck is the worst game on the platform by any means.  I would say that it's probably the worst playable game that's not just such utter garbage that it couldn't possibly make for an interesting video about how it's bad.  For a game to work on this show it has to have enough to make it interesting to talk about for several minutes.  This video was 13 minutes long and of that, he's only playing the game for about half the time.  With most of the "bad" games on the system there just isn't much to say.  Darkwing Duck at least has enough varied locations, enemies, and platforming that it can stretch out a few minutes.  Ballistix though, what is there to say about that after comparing the cover art to Judas Priest?

Even though I don't dislike it nearly so much as the internet seems to, I think Mike could make a pretty good video out of Kieth Courage.  There are enough blind jumps, wonky hitboxes, annoying birds, slow walking, and required memorization of boss patterns that he could show the game being frustrating.  Meanwhile it's already got the ire of everyone who knows next to nothing about Turbo stuff.  More than once I've talked about Turbo stuff with random dudes and pretty much heard "Oh man, they included the worst pack in title ever.  Too bad they didn't go with Bonk which was great" naming the only two games on the platform they've ever heard of aside from Rondo of Blood.  They might even throw in the fact that it's not even really 16 bit (and hopefully inform me that it's got TWO 8 bit processors!).  ...but I digress.

Perhaps an episode on China Warrior, but is there enough to say on the subject or would it be too brief like Ballistix?  Maybe an episode on the TV Sports games...?  Though I think it's a pretty good game, maybe an episode on Order of the Griffon could be funny, who knows.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gredler

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/14/2015, 05:29 PMI don't think Darkwing Duck is the worst game on the platform by any means.  I would say that it's probably the worst playable game that's not just such utter garbage that it couldn't possibly make for an interesting video about how it's bad.  For a game to work on this show it has to have enough to make it interesting to talk about for several minutes.  This video was 13 minutes long and of that, he's only playing the game for about half the time.  With most of the "bad" games on the system there just isn't much to say.  Darkwing Duck at least has enough varied locations, enemies, and platforming that it can stretch out a few minutes.  Ballistix though, what is there to say about that after comparing the cover art to Judas Priest?

Even though I don't dislike it nearly so much as the internet seems to, I think Mike could make a pretty good video out of Kieth Courage.  There are enough blind jumps, wonky hitboxes, annoying birds, slow walking, and required memorization of boss patterns that he could show the game being frustrating.  Meanwhile it's already got the ire of everyone who knows next to nothing about Turbo stuff.  More than once I've talked about Turbo stuff with random dudes and pretty much heard "Oh man, they included the worst pack in title ever.  Too bad they didn't go with Bonk which was great" naming the only two games on the platform they've ever heard of aside from Rondo of Blood.  They might even throw in the fact that it's not even really 16 bit (and hopefully inform me that it's got TWO 8 bit processors!).  ...but I digress.

Perhaps an episode on China Warrior, but is there enough to say on the subject or would it be too brief like Ballistix?  Maybe an episode on the TV Sports games...?  Though I think it's a pretty good game, maybe an episode on Order of the Griffon could be funny, who knows.
They couldn't include TV Sports Hockey though, because that game is good. Genuinely good.

esteban

China Warrior is a good game, the only thing that is unfair, IMHO, are some of the bosses. The stages are awesome fun. The bosses are inconsistent: some can be cheap...but you can spam others into submission.

China Warrior kicks your dirty arse. :)

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 05/13/2015, 10:37 PMYour favorite youtube reviewer returns with an OBEY episode!
you are angry video game nerd?  =D> =D> =D>

not bad not bad! I like some of your episodes.

ChrisBucci

It's very cool to see the TurboGrafx getting "love" (or coverage) anywhere.   

You know what's funny, though?   I got accused of ripping-off the Angry Nerd in MY very early Turbo Views episode showcasing "Darkwing Duck" (because I was mad at the game).     I am sorry but ... I was definitely angrier than AVGN!   And I beat the damn game for the video as well!   Ha ha!   ;)

Chris Bucci

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 05/14/2015, 11:18 AM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/14/2015, 09:41 AM

I hear you :)

I have no desire to play Falcon, but it would be a boring review. There isn't much to say: you either like combat sim or you don't.

Yo Bro', that game is terrible!  That's a contender!  If he did Jp games, I'd say Legion immediately springs to mind.  Bravoman & Impossamole are way too good to be worst games ever.  They both have some big flaws, but, I still enjoy both a lot.  I feel like Drop Off is horrendous, but, I'm not a huge puzzler.  It has it's moments, but he'd probably hate It Came From the Desert.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: spida1a on 05/15/2015, 01:03 AMIt's very cool to see the TurboGrafx getting "love" (or coverage) anywhere.   

You know what's funny, though?   I got accused of ripping-off the Angry Nerd in MY very early Turbo Views episode showcasing "Darkwing Duck" (because I was mad at the game).     I am sorry but ... I was definitely angrier than AVGN!   And I beat the damn game for the video as well!   Ha ha!   ;)

Chris Bucci
Dude your video TOTALLY rips off AVGN for sure! Remember when he got smashed with the falling weight from above when just standing there? HAHAHA that was funny. But then you went and ripped that off and it was not funny at all. Only AVGN is funny. Everyone else is just a rip off.  It doesn't matter when you did it or when AVGN did it, AVGN did it first because he's AVGN.  I don't know how you managed time travel in order to rip off the AVGN video but you clearly did.  :)

o.pwuaioc

Time traveling? Shit, next come the Terminators. spida1a, you've doomed us all!

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2015, 01:27 AM
Quote from: spida1a on 05/15/2015, 01:03 AMIt's very cool to see the TurboGrafx getting "love" (or coverage) anywhere.   

Chris Bucci
Dude your video TOTALLY rips off AVGN for sure! Remember when he got smashed with the falling weight from above when just standing there? HAHAHA that was funny. But then you went and ripped that off and it was not funny at all. Only AVGN is funny. Everyone else is just a rip off.  It doesn't matter when you did it or when AVGN did it, AVGN did it first because he's AVGN.  I don't know how you managed time travel in order to rip off the AVGN video but you clearly did.  :)
Bucci's video review is, literally, a billion times better than AVGN.

But, Bucci clearly ripped off AVGN.

INDISPUTABLE.

ChrisBucci

Psycho Punch

All this falcon and gunboat talk made me take another look at those games. Honestly, Falcon is actually pretty well done limitations of the turbografx aside. I feel that Spectrum Holobyte really did an honest port (ie tried to make it playable and resemble the PC version that is miles better) unlike Gunboat which has a load of bugs and inconsistencies and felt like they just wanted the game out of the door ASAP to move on to another project. Its not bad at all honestly, I played it until Day 5, 30 kills in the campaign, it just gets too repetitive after a while.

Of course most of the people here wouldnt have fun with it even if it was a 1 to 1 port of falcon 4.0 for the PC with a power console like controller to play it, it is a niche genre inside a limited niche console.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 04:52 PMIt seemed like a very short Nerd video, and really lacked the passion and effort previous AVGN videos have shown. He didn't even bother to get anywhere in the game, and its not a particularly difficult game to beat. I feel like he's kind of sick of his own character, and is just phoning it in to keep the relevancy of his channel up. He gets a ton of views on his "James & Mike play" videos, which are easier to make. I doubt those videos would survive on their own... they just aren't that interesting. Gotta keep that youtube revenue stream coming.
Not gonna argue with that. His top year was 2009.
Gaming since 1985

Medic_wheat

esteban

I LEARNED: trainman666 is a fool.

CrackTiger

I LEARNED: Jesse Cruz, Shane VH and (seemingly) most retro gaming facebook commenters are fools. The non-foolish who choose to wade in and confuse the herd with common sense only make the rest look all the more foolish.

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 05/14/2015, 10:08 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 05/13/2015, 10:37 PMYour favorite youtube reviewer returns with an OBEY episode!
you are angry video game nerd?  =D> =D> =D>

not bad not bad! I like some of your episodes.
Yeah, it's me! Did you like my Toxic Avenger episode?

IMG
IMG

CAPSLOCK

Chris Bucci
=D> The Turbo Views review was much better than James Rolfes satire.

johnnykonami

As a fan of Namco overall, I am OK with Bravoman.  I don't think it's the best game they've ever made, but I wouldn't turn down a copy for my collection one day.  I also enjoyed seeing him in Namco X Capcom on the PS2 some time back alongside Wonder Momo:
Impossamole is a disappointment.  I am very much interested in the famous lineage behind the game, having been a huge Commodore 64 nut in my youth.  Monty on the Run and Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Impossamole's prequels, are both well loved platformers that both featured the whole "rooms with funny names" gimmick.  It lives on better through games like VVVVVV nowadays.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2015, 01:27 AM

Chris Bucci
IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.