RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Setting up a PC-FXGA

Started by elmer, 05/26/2015, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

Looking around at the old threads here, it looks like this whole process used to be documented ...
QuoteThe installation process is documented on Sabre's blog here: http://sabre470.wordpress.com/pc-fxga/
... but  that site doesn't exist anymore.

Does anyone have a copy/printout of that page that they could share, or know where to find it?

My PC-FXGA arrived, and after lots of messing around with the Japanese version of Win95, I've got it running and playing the latest Zeroigar CD and Team Innocent.  :D

I'd like to know if I'm missing anything, whether people ever got it running on Win98, and if there are any particular tricks that are needed to get the CD emulation working.

SamIAm

For what it's worth, I searched in Japanese, and it I could not find any accounts of people getting it to work with Windows 98. I found people asking about it and saying they were going to try it, but no success stories.

Granted, the vast majority of the info out there is about the PC-98 version anyway. Apparently, the PC-98 also not compatible with Windows 98, unlike Windows 95.

You've looked at this, right?
http://www.fenix.ne.jp/~fez/soft/fxga/win95.html

SamIAm

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 05/26/2015, 09:43 PMFor what it's worth, I searched in Japanese, and it I could not find any accounts of people getting it to work with Windows 98. I found people asking about it and saying they were going to try it, but no success stories.

Granted, the vast majority of the info out there is about the PC-98 version anyway. Apparently, the PC-98 also not compatible with Windows 98, unlike Windows 95.

You've looked at this, right?
http://www.fenix.ne.jp/~fez/soft/fxga/win95.html
Haha ... it funny you should answer the question ... I've just been reading a bunch of your posts in the old  "Anyone care to comment in-depth on the PC-FX hardware design?" thread (https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10536.0).  :wink:

Thanks for searching out those pages, I certainly hadn't seen the 2nd one.  :)

Perhaps I should be more specific ... I don't actually want to run the PC-FXGA within the Win98 GUI ... I suspect that that's never going to work.

Microsoft made a bunch of changes between Win95 and Win98 that screwed up it's ability to run old DOS drivers while within the GUI ... and since the PC-FX drivers are all DOS level, I don't hold out much hope (nor do I have much interest).

I've seen Fez's page before, but it's a pretty messy workaround to get the PC-FX to work in the Win95 GUI using SCSI drivers ... which I think was because the PC-98 was using a SCSI CDROM.

These days, the DOS machine that the PC-FXGA goes into is so slow that it's always going to be a secondary computer that can be dedicated to the PC-FXGA, while any real development work is done on a separate modern Win7 multi-core system.

The multitasking Windows GUI isn't really necessary, and the CD drive is going to be ATAPI, and not SCSI.

My goal right now is to try to get the PC-FXGA working in Win98's DOS 7.10 boot mode without using the Win98 GUI, and then update files over the network.

Since my earlier post, I've got the PC-FXGA playing CD games in DOS 7.10, so that's a good start.

Now it's back to Win95 to install the GMAKER and GMAKER PLUS files.

I was just hoping that someone had already documented doing something like this to save me some time.

elmer

Quote from: filler on 05/27/2015, 01:13 AMThis might help. https://web.archive.org/web/20080409112152/http://sabre470.wordpress.com/pc-fxga/
Thanks for the link, I had no idea that the web archive also stored wordpress blogs .... that's so cool!  :D

[EDIT]
Cool, but a bit of a disappointment.

It's a very nice English version of a Japanese web page that I'd already struggled through to get the PC-FXGA playing a CD game.

If sabre470 ever got further on from there, then it's lost in time.  :(

I've got GMAKER and GMAKER PLUS installed now ... so hopefully it won't be too bad to get the CD emulation actually working.

Arkhan Asylum

I don't think you're missing much, and will likely be underwhelmed/annoyed by the cables/nonsense very quickly, lol.

Much like how I felt about the MSX+Develo setup for PCE.

Its cute and fun for a little bit, but then you realize you can just do everything on your PC, burn a CD, and test it on the machine!

How much did you end up paying for yours?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 01:39 PMI don't think you're missing much, and will likely be underwhelmed/annoyed by the cables/nonsense very quickly, lol.
Haha ... I have 5 computers and a NAS on my desk ... a 6th for the PC-FXGA isn't much to add.

I just need to get it running smoothly so that I can put the Voodoo2 SLI cards back in it.

QuoteMuch like how I felt about the MSX+Develo setup for PCE.
Well, if you ever get tired of the PCE Develo box ... I might find a home for it.

QuoteIts cute and fun for a little bit, but then you realize you can just do everything on your PC, burn a CD, and test it on the machine!
Yep, 99% of everything will be done in Mednafen.

But when you do want to test on hardware ... it's nice (and a bit less wasteful) not to have to burn that CD, and just squirt it down to the PC-FXGA over a gigabit network connection.

Being able to attach a debugger to find out why something doesn't work on real hardware is useful, too.

We recent had our first Zeroigar crash on real hardware ... because I overlooked an unaligned memory access that Mednafen didn't complain about.

Also, I'm the kind of guy that would like to have a chance to play with the 3D chip ... and there's no other way to do that.

QuoteHow much did you end up paying for yours?
About $110+shipping.

There have been a couple of PC-FXGA DOS/V ISA cards on Yahoo Japan recently. There was one without a box that went for something like $40.

BTW ... I'll eventually release some patches that switch the most important PC-FXGA utilities fully into English.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, it's fun to have it all hooked up.  It's a shame the 3D part was never put into the actual system, as that would've made a huge difference.

From what I recall, the DOS FXGA is cheaper .   The PC98 one goes for more, probably because it's cooler.

I probably won't get tired of the develo box, but it sort of doesn't serve as great of a purpose because of flash HuCards and stuff now.

I've been looking/thinking about getting another PC98 setup to mess around with the FXGA nonsense again.   I'm kind of too balls-deep into MSX computering for that at the moment, though.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 03:35 PMFrom what I recall, the DOS FXGA is cheaper .  The PC98 one goes for more, probably because it's cooler.
Hahaha ... I think not!

QuoteI've been looking/thinking about getting another PC98 setup to mess around with the FXGA nonsense again.  I'm kind of too balls-deep into MSX computering for that at the moment, though.
Unless you're desperate to play with a PC98, surely it'd be cheaper just to get a DOS/V card and a cheap Pentium3 ISA PC, and sell on the PC98 PC-FXGA to some idiot on eBay?

BTW ... You got me curious enough about the MSX to buy one to see what the fuss is about.

It's a bit smaller than I remember them, though ... and I've still not found any MSX software worth a damn!  :wink:

OCMSX.jpg

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: elmer on 06/03/2015, 04:27 PMUnless you're desperate to play with a PC98
Yeah, DOS stuff is cheaper and easier to get going today, but PC98 has the booby games, and a certain "yay" factor to it.

From what I do remember though, you could get the DOS card for usually 50-75$ less than the PC98 one, assuming you were digging around on Japanese sites.

If you were looking at stuff already purchased by the white devil, they will charge idiotic prices for it all.

QuoteBTW ... You got me curious enough about the MSX to buy one to see what the fuss is about.

It's a bit smaller than I remember them, though ... and I've still not found any MSX software worth a damn!  :wink:
Which one did you buy?  Depends what model you get in terms of how large the unit is.  I have a particular fondness for the Toshiba models.   

There's tons of good MSX software.  :)  Lots of nice RPGs for MSX2, lots of fun actiony games.   Quirky MSX1 games.   

I wish it shared a processor type with the PCE so I could develop games at the same time.

Ah well.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 05:50 PMYeah, DOS stuff is cheaper and easier to get going today, but PC98 has the booby games, and a certain "yay" factor to it.
Yeah, sorry ... 800MHz Pentium3, Geforce 4, Voodoo2 SLI, gigabit ethernet and compatibility with the best DOS/Win95/Win98 games really works better for me.

I wouldn't want to actually compile on or try to transfer files to an old-and-slow 16MHz 80386 PC98 machine! Were there many faster ones?

QuoteWhich one did you buy?  Depends what model you get in terms of how large the unit is.  I have a particular fondness for the Toshiba models.
That was a picture of it in my last post!  :wink:

Here's another with a PC-FX controller for size comparison.

http://caro.su/msx/ocm_de0.htm

OCMSX-SIZE.jpg

NecroPhile

Quote from: elmer on 06/03/2015, 06:36 PMWere there many faster ones?
I was curious, did some googlerins, and found that the last model released was a Celeron 433.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 07:06 PMI was curious, did some googlerins, and found that the last model released was a Celeron 433.
Yeah, I saw that on Wikipedia.

Released 8 years after all the other machines, all by itself. Sounds like something that would be a really expensive collector's machine these days.

I don't know enough about the PC98 software library to know if there's anything spectacular on it.

I do know that there are a bunch of really great DOS/WIN95/WIN98 games that you can play on an affordable old IBM PC.

Not personally seeing much reason for anyone to hang on to a PC-FXGA PC98 at this point ... but what-the-heck do I know?

Arkhan Asylum

Oh, I didn't see the picture.   I see you got a terrorist onechip instead of a Sony/Toshiba/Sanyo/Panasonic!   I only buy the real deal MSX stuff.  It's literally setup next to me as if it were a current machine.   :)

The PC 98 has *very* fucking awesome games.  Great RPGs, booby sims... all kinds of stuff.   

Don't get me wrong, I love DOS stuff too.   the late 80s/early 90s DOS RPG library is about the best thing ever.  I still play a lot of that stuff on DOS Box now.

As for PC98:
It just keeps going like that.   You essentially get the Japanese gaming experience with respect to action games... instead of the "we tried to mimic it, but suck at the games/just watched a VHS tape of the game, so we really ballsed up making it" versions on USA home computers.

You mostly get the PC98 PCFX stuff if you're semi-retarded like me and enjoy setting up Japanese machines that are as old as you, so you can pretend you didn't miss the boat.   When I got it, I already had the stuff to attach it to, and it was cheaper, so I was like YEAH! .  In hindsight, I should've maybe got the DOS one.

I was working on getting one anyways, but this store called Rising Stuff turned into Falling Junk because the one dude there was a total moron, and he fell through on that.

I dumped the actual 98 hardware in favor of just tinkering around in emulators with the games, because I wanted to focus more on MSX.   One PC98 turned into enough money to buy 2 MSXes and a ton of games.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 08:36 PMOh, I didn't see the picture.   I see you got a terrorist onechip instead of a Sony/Toshiba/Sanyo/Panasonic!   I only buy the real deal MSX stuff.  It's literally setup next to me as if it were a current machine.   :)
Yeah ... sorry, I wasn't willing to pay the kind of money that people are asking for the Japanese systems just to tinker with an MSX ... I don't have overly fond memories of the MSX1 when it was available.

Since the OneChipMSX was actually an "official" MSX product ... I can just about say (with an almost straight face) that I have "real" MSX ... but it only cost $80 and it includes the stuff that it would cost $100s to buy for an old 80s machine.

And ... reprogrammable hardware is just so damned amazingly tech-geek cool!  :wink:

QuoteThe PC 98 has *very* fucking awesome games.  Great RPGs, booby sims... all kinds of stuff.   

It just keeps going like that.   You essentially get the Japanese gaming experience with respect to action games... instead of the "we tried to mimic it, but suck at the games/just watched a VHS tape of the game, so we really ballsed up making it" versions on USA home computers.
Errrrrrr ... ???  :-s

Sorry, I just still don't get it ... it must be a personal thing (like most people's love for a particular system).

The shooter weren't bad ... but even ignoring the frame rate (hopefully just YouTube) and the lacklustre design ... I'd prefer to play Alpha Mission from 1985, or Alpha Mission II from 1991 (both on my list of potential-ports to the PCE  :)).

In 1996, when both of those PC98 shooters were released (Rude Breaker & Flame Zapper Kotsujin), I was playing Descent II on a 3Dfx Voodoo card ... no contest.

Even if you take the aged PC98 hardware into account ... I don't think that they can hold a candle to PCE Sapphire.

QuoteI dumped the actual 98 hardware in favor of just tinkering around in emulators with the games, because I wanted to focus more on MSX.   One PC98 turned into enough money to buy 2 MSXes and a ton of games.
Yeah ... an actual PC98 machine just goes for crazy dollars here in the USA ... an emulator sounds like a much better option.

If I wanted to fling that amount of cash around, I'd look at getting an X68000 ... but there are already way too many things to play with.

SamIAm

It's been said, and I want to believe it's true, that Japanese PC games from the late 80s/early 90s that have a high language barrier are one of the last unexplored frontiers of golden-age Japanese gaming.

Action games tend not to do very well for technical reasons, but the tradeoff is that menu driven games can be high color and high resolution. Some of the hand-drawn pixel art on Japanese PCs from that era is really good.

I would love to find a well written, well drawn, and ideally well scored digital comic book or RPG hybrid from that era to translate. The trouble is that there's so much to wade through that's essentially just smut.

Still, since a lot of those Japanese PCs were based on an x86 CPU, it should theoretically be a little easier to find someone who is comfortable with digging through the code. Maybe someday.

Arkhan Asylum

Oh, I was playing Descent and stuff at that time too, but there's something to be said about the distinctly Japanese style games of the late 80s/early 90s.    My friend actually puked playing Descent at my house.   I still make fun of him for it.

And yeah, the frame rate looks tardy on YouTube for these games, but is not as bad when playing on the real machine.   The same goes for MSX games that have choppy scrolling on YouTube.   It is a bit choppy in real life, but is completely playable and not as jarring in person.

The point/click adventure games are also a bit more fun, for my tastes, on all of the JP machines.   I was never a fan of Zak McCracken and stuff.   There were a few (Loom, Fate of Atlantis, Return to Zork... 7th Guest?) that kept my interest....  but, I'll take anime/robots/boobies/demons anyday, over that stuff!

It's definitely one of those things where it will mostly be lost on you if you're not into distinctly Japanese games.  ... just like the PC-FX, basically.

Where'd you get that OneChip for 80$?  People sell those for 400$ and people pay the price.... lol.

I spent about 150$ on my HX-34, but then another like 120$ to ship it.   But, I shipped it with about 10 other things, so it all balanced out there.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 06/04/2015, 09:36 AMIt's been said, and I want to believe it's true, that Japanese PC games from the late 80s/early 90s that have a high language barrier are one of the last unexplored frontiers of golden-age Japanese gaming.
You intrigue me ... I'll have to take a look at some point.  :)

QuoteI would love to find a well written, well drawn, and ideally well scored digital comic book or RPG hybrid from that era to translate. The trouble is that there's so much to wade through that's essentially just smut.
The first 2 games in Arkhan's links didn't do much for me content-wise ... but they did show that the machine should be capable of some really nice stuff that I might like ... except that I can't read Japanese.

Quote from: guest on 06/04/2015, 01:14 PMIt's definitely one of those things where it will mostly be lost on you if you're not into distinctly Japanese games.  ... just like the PC-FX, basically.
I'm sure that there are games that I'd probably like ... but I have no skill at languages, so I'm out-of-luck.  :(

QuoteWhere'd you get that OneChip for 80$?  People sell those for 400$ and people pay the price.... lol.
When ESE released the OneChipMSX (using an Altera Cyclone 1 FPGA), they also released the "source code" for programming the FGPA.

In the years since, people have both bug-fixed and upgraded the original OneChipMSX, and ported the code to work on other, newer, Altera FPGA chips.

So ... I don't have a real OneChipMSX, I have a Terasic DE0 (http://de0.terasic.com).

It's a cheap board designed for use in university courses. The DE0 and DE1, which can both be programmed as OneChipMSX machines, come up frequently and cheaply on eBay, particularly at the end of a semester.

You can't plug an MSX cart in, although there is a circuit design available if you really want that capability ... but really, why would you want to?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: elmer on 06/04/2015, 08:14 PMThe first 2 games in Arkhan's links didn't do much for me content-wise ... but they did show that the machine should be capable of some really nice stuff that I might like ... except that I can't read Japanese.
Yeah.  The PC-98, and even the 88 really, are a vast open frontier of games we can't read good.  The action games are nothing stellar compared to anything you'd find anywhere else, easier.  I play them just to see what was going on, and maybe to see if I find any real stand-out games.

Enix had a lot of adventure games.  Zarth, JESUS!!!!..
I liked this game too:
Though, I played it when I couldn't read jack diddly dick so I am not really sure what was going on other than shooting stuff.
You may not find a lot of action games that you will feel are really must-haves compared to things you can play elsewhere now.   It's the digital comic stuff that you really miss out on.   But, if you can't read it, and aren't at least prepared to get out the dictionary and read through it like you're in first grade... you'll likely be waiting forever for most of this stuff to ever be translated.  That is the realization I had one day, and finally said fuck this, time to learn me some squigglies.

You would honestly put less effort into learning how to read at a passable level than anyone would sitting and translating PC98 games and patching them for the white devil.

QuoteYou can't plug an MSX cart in, although there is a circuit design available if you really want that capability ... but really, why would you want to?
To play my RPGs that have save files on them, lol.   If you're only playing Konami action games/etc., this isn't a big deal.

I have Hydlide save files, and Ultima:Exodus!

I guess with your Onechip, you also miss out on being able to use SCC carts, and FM?  and flashcarts, NoWinds, and all of that stuff.

I have the Toshiba music cart, too.   You plug a real keyboard in and play music.   It's neat.

SamIAm

Hey Arkhan...

I might like to get this because I am a crazy person:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n144870509

I'm thinking it might end a little on the cheap side because everything there is incomplete.

Would you be interested in buying the PC-FXGA board off me for cheap if I win it?

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/04/2015, 08:54 PMYou would honestly put less effort into learning how to read at a passable level than anyone would sitting and translating PC98 games and patching them for the white devil.
Hahaha ... thank you for the links, and once again ... nicely done, but basically not my taste in games.  :wink:

I didn't see anything there that I'd personally choose to spend my time playing ... but that's just my own preferences.

Too many other things to do than play a game that I can't understand and will therefore miss 95% of of the point.

QuoteYou can't plug an MSX cart in, although there is a circuit design available if you really want that capability ... but really, why would you want to?
To play my RPGs that have save files on them, lol.   If you're only playing Konami action games/etc., this isn't a big deal.

I have Hydlide save files, and Ultima:Exodus!

I guess with your Onechip, you also miss out on being able to use SCC carts, and FM?  and flashcarts, NoWinds, and all of that stuff.

I have the Toshiba music cart, too.   You plug a real keyboard in and play music.   It's neat.
All of the common ones are already built into the hardware ... no need for most external carts, and one heck of a lot cheaper, too.

MSX-MUSIC
ESE-SCC: 1024K + SCC-I
ESE-RAM: 1024K + ASCII8
ESE-RAM: 1024K + ASCII16
MegaRAM

So you can run pretty much any MSX cartridge software.

That's on top of having 4MB of regular RAM, and it can run the Z80 at 10MHz.

If you want to wire it up (the circuit is available), then you can add MIDI ports, and so run that keyboard, or a Roland Sound Canvas.

As for getting files off a PC and onto the MSX ... just copy them to the SDCard, the MSX sees it as a huge drive!

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 06/04/2015, 09:52 PMWould you be interested in buying the PC-FXGA board off me for cheap if I win it?
That's a good option, Arkhan ... you've already got all the missing parts with your PC-FXGA PC98 ... I doubt that you'll ever get a better deal.

Who knows ... perhaps it'll motivate you to help out with a translation!  :wink:

I really do think that that's the only way that you're ever going to get any more respect for the PC-FX in the Western hemisphere ... and I'm sure that the folks here would appreciate a few more translated games.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SamIAm on 06/04/2015, 09:52 PMHey Arkhan...

I might like to get this because I am a crazy person:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n144870509

I'm thinking it might end a little on the cheap side because everything there is incomplete.

Would you be interested in buying the PC-FXGA board off me for cheap if I win it?
Listen, I was already going to bid on that.  It's in my watch list, lol.

How about if I win it, you can deal with the stack of fuckin' PC-FXs that I was going to tell the seller to keep, lol

SamIAm

PMed.

Although beware, it sounds like elmer is trying to hunt down enough of these to tile his roof.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 06/05/2015, 04:33 AMAlthough beware, it sounds like elmer is trying to hunt down enough of these to tile his roof.
It's a drug ... I've got to get them all ... every single one in the world!

I'll lock them all away and charge people just to look at old black-and-white pictures of them ... wahahahaha!

OK ... perhaps I really don't need another one ... but that green box ... it's just so ... perfect ... ... how can I ... ... resist?  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

:) 

Believe me, doing a PC-FX game has been an idea of mine for a bit now.   Once these other dumbass retro projects I've started are done, I've been considering it. 

I was going to just use a CD-RW for repeated testing, but maybe I will sit and DOS it up, and make an even bigger mess of my desk.   There's an MSX, PCE, upscaler, and all kinds of bullshit sitting here.  I think I need another one.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2015, 02:00 AMListen, I was already going to bid on that.  It's in my watch list, lol.

How about if I win it, you can deal with the stack of fuckin' PC-FXs that I was going to tell the seller to keep, lol
Good luck on the auction, guys! Less than a day to go, and the price is still reasonable.

But I'm not sure that I like the idea of Arkhan trying to steal away "my  preciousssssssss"!  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

lol.   We can be the only two coherent PCFX developers.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2015, 12:28 AMlol.   We can be the only two coherent PCFX developers.
Truth.

Anyway, I'll get my brother to help create live-action and old-skill frame animation for

BLODIA PC-FX

when you are both ready.

It will have a "Quest Mode", of course...an ARPG-lite + BLODIA = Deeluxxee.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2015, 12:28 AMlol.   We can be the only two coherent PCFX developers.
Looks like you guys won the auction, congratulations!

Quote from: esteban on 06/07/2015, 10:33 AMTruth.

Anyway, I'll get my brother to help create live-action and old-skill frame animation for

BLODIA PC-FX

when you are both ready.
Blodia? ... Nah!  =;

We need Gomola Speed PC-FX!  [-o<

Arkhan Asylum

I have many ideas for a PC-FX game

they are all similar to this:

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2015, 03:08 PMI have many ideas for a PC-FX game

Why do I keep getting the feeling that you have a lot of "ideas" running around inside your head that would get you arrested if they ever came out?  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: elmer on 06/07/2015, 03:26 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/07/2015, 03:08 PMI have many ideas for a PC-FX game

Why do I keep getting the feeling that you have a lot of "ideas" running around inside your head that would get you arrested if they ever came out?  :wink:
because that's probably true.

;) lol.

esteban

Quote from: elmer on 06/07/2015, 01:07 PM
Looks like you guys won the auction, congratulations!

Quote from: esteban on 06/07/2015, 10:33 AMTruth.

BLODIA PC-FX

when you are both ready.
Blodia? ... Nah!  =;

We need Gomola Speed PC-FX!  [-o<
Gomola Speed FX is even better. 

IT ALREADY HAS some ARPG elements, so incorporating a QUEST MODE with interactive FMV sequences  wouldn't be such a stretch.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

If there aren't titties, I'm barely interested.

How about Boobola Speed.

The thing can be a bunch of boobs instead of a snake thing.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/08/2015, 01:07 PMIf there aren't titties, I'm barely interested.

How about Boobola Speed.

The thing can be a bunch of boobs instead of a snake thing.
Haha ... you can do your Hentai game ... I'll see about doing something where you keep both hands on the FX-PAD!  :wink:

BTW ... the PC-FXGA DOS drivers are now fully in English, so you won't need to hunt up a Japanese version of DOS/Windows to run them.  :)

You'll still need Japanese Win95/Win98 if you want to run the SDK's graphics tools, but I might have a go at localizing those, too, if I get bored.

Those are easier to run in a virtual machine on your main development PC, anyway.

Arkhan Asylum

That's useful.   I only ever dicked around with the PC-9800 stuff.   I hope its similar.  This was also about 5 years ago, maybe more.

Ok, it was 8 years ago.  So, I am sure it will be interesting re-remembering stuff.

I'm not going to mess with it until I finish these other projects though.   I'd rather not ADD myself into getting nothing done.

I know Mednafen did some stuff and had the GMAKER tools all sorted and working for us or something, but that was awhile ago too.   The PCFX is such a niche thing that nobody but about 3 of us got excited for it.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 06/08/2015, 02:50 PMThat's useful.   I only ever dicked around with the PC-9800 stuff.   I hope its similar.  This was also about 5 years ago, maybe more.
You'll need a real Sound Blaster 16 card (an ISA one, and not a PCI one) in order to hear any CD audio from the emulated CD. A cheap Vibra16 should be OK, but it's not that expensive to get something nicer like an AWE64.

You'll also want a decent network card. The gigabit Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop PCI card is cheap and rock-solid, with good DOS/Win98 drivers ... but don't get the "Server" version ... and don't get the newer GT version.

Arkhan Asylum

Oh, I still have an ISA machine sitting on my floor.   So, I am all set.  It's some clunker tardass Gateway PC that someone threw out that I said "nope, this is mine", and took home.

sabre470

PM or email (sabre470atyahoo.co.uk) me, if you need help to set your GA, it's been a while since I've done mine but I'm sure I can dust off my memory ;)
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
https://cdromrom.wordpress.com

elmer

Quote from: sabre470 on 08/12/2015, 06:13 PMPM or email (sabre470atyahoo.co.uk) me, if you need help to set your GA, it's been a while since I've done mine but I'm sure I can dust off my memory ;)
Thanks, I've got the basic PC-FXGA working fine ... it wasn't as tough as I'd feared.

I still haven't tried making an emulated CD yet ... did you ever figure out that process?

sabre470

I've not looked into making cd images, not sure there is a program for that. I know you can create EX files. I believe though not entirely sure that you can send program to a PC-FX via the SCSI interface, I've not tried it though. Which dev kit are you using? GMAKER or GMAKER PLUS? I'll have  look at the programming guide see if I can find anything and let you know.
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

elmer

Quote from: sabre470 on 08/13/2015, 03:42 PMI've not looked into making cd images, not sure there is a program for that. I know you can create EX files. I believe though not entirely sure that you can send program to a PC-FX via the SCSI interface, I've not tried it though. Which dev kit are you using? GMAKER or GMAKER PLUS? I'll have  look at the programming guide see if I can find anything and let you know.
I guess that making CD images is mostly for developer-types, and there aren't many of those around!

The tools are definitely there, FXGASYS2.TXT explains the process but, as-usual, google-translate is making such a mess of it that I can barely understand what it's saying.

I've installed the 2 drivers for the emulation (audio and cdrom), but I haven't actually fed them an image yet ... perhaps I should just try feeding them the Zeroigar files, and then see just what happens.

sabre470

Drivers? There aren't drivers per se to drive the board. Everything runs in DOS mode using the exe you get on the floppy disk unless my memory is going blank :) you can either feed it cd games or EX files. There's a lot of explore and I've just scratched the surface, keep me posted on any findings, please. :)
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

elmer

Quote from: sabre470 on 08/13/2015, 05:04 PMDrivers? There aren't drivers per se to drive the board. Everything runs in DOS mode using the exe you get on the floppy disk unless my memory is going blank :) you can either feed it cd games or EX files. There's a lot of explore and I've just scratched the surface, keep me posted on any findings, please. :)
The basic PC-FXGA comes with "fxgav.exe" on the floppy. That just lets you boot PC-FX games that are on your PC's CDROM drive.

The next step is "GMAKER" with the compiler and tools.

With that you have to install the DOS drivers PCFXPIO.SYS and TGFX.SYS.

I believe that they allow a program that you write to access files directly on your PC (through PCFXPIO.SYS), or to access a CD in your PCs CDROM drive (TGFX.SYS).

The final step is "GMAKER PLUS" which gives you NXSBPCM.SYS and an upgraded TGFX.SYS, that allows you to create PC-FX CD images on your hard drive and have your program read them just as if they were a real CD.

So ... I've got all the drivers loaded, but I haven't actually created a CD image to run.

Well, actually, all my programming has been in Mednafen at this point, and the PC-FXGA has just been a testbed for running burned CD-Rs.  :-k

sabre470

Nice, you went much further than I did :) what have you got cooking?
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

sabre470

I've got a copy of GMAKER on PC-98 and DOS/V one of the boxes has the manual I think. I'll check if there are any references to the above. Still trying to track GMAKER PLUS originals...
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

elmer

sabre470

Quote from: elmer on 08/13/2015, 05:59 PM
Quote from: sabre470 on 08/13/2015, 05:28 PMNice, you went much further than I did :) what have you got cooking?
Not too much ...

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18435.msg394979#msg394979

And you probably already saw this ...  :wink:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19536.0
He He :)

Thank you very much for the Zeroigar translation and well done, I will definitely try it.

How did you overlay text on the cut-scenes BTW?
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic