LaserDisc Video Capture - Best Options?

Started by xcrement5x, 06/25/2015, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

So, I have a handful of LaserDisc movies that are rather nice versions and haven't been converted to DVD that I would like to capture using a higher end laptop (i7/16GB RAM).  Has anyone done something like this before and if so do they have any recommendations and/or processes.

Most of the movies are older and do not have a fancy audio track, just stereo so I'm not sure if that changes much.  Looking to not spend a ton of money on the hardware if possible. 

It seems like s-video is normally touted as a better choice for capture normally, but from what I read LD is natively stored as composite.  So, maybe I would be better served just getting the composite and doing the filtering later on a software side and encoding it? 

I'd love to hear from folks if anyone has opinions or has done something like this.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CGQuarterly

If you have a standalone DVD recorder then you can just use that.  If not, then you just need a capture card or USB capture device that has composite video input.

BigusSchmuck

Probably want to stick to USB 3.0 if you can. USB 2.0 capture cards are notoriously unreliable at least when I used them 3-4 years ago.
Some good info here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370400-USB-3-0-capture-cards-for-analoge-and-digital-signals-%28composite-HDMI%29

CGQuarterly

CrackTiger

I plan on rerecording the Super Darius superplay laserdisc I have, now that I have both an LD player with s-video output (I am aware of how it may not make much difference) and a framemeister/game capture LD combo.

Last time I recorded to dvd video from composite using a hauppauge card. Looked identical to the laserdisc playing on a TV.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2015, 04:31 PMSo, I have a handful of LaserDisc movies that are rather nice versions and haven't been converted to DVD that I would like to capture using a higher end laptop (i7/16GB RAM).  Has anyone done something like this before and if so do they have any recommendations and/or processes.

Most of the movies are older and do not have a fancy audio track, just stereo so I'm not sure if that changes much.  Looking to not spend a ton of money on the hardware if possible. 

It seems like s-video is normally touted as a better choice for capture normally, but from what I read LD is natively stored as composite.  So, maybe I would be better served just getting the composite and doing the filtering later on a software side and encoding it? 

I'd love to hear from folks if anyone has opinions or has done something like this.
I've done it both using a USB 2.0 based capture card and a PCI capture card on much older hardware than you have. You do get a bit of noise here and there from recording it, but it's lightyears better than from VHS. Assuming your Laserdisc player just outputs component you will get decent results, one that outputs svideo may be even better.

The big thing with Laserdiscs is the quality of the player is way more of a factor in how good the video output is than with other formats.
--DragonmasterDan

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/25/2015, 08:24 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/25/2015, 04:31 PMSo, I have a handful of LaserDisc movies that are rather nice versions and haven't been converted to DVD that I would like to capture using a higher end laptop (i7/16GB RAM).  Has anyone done something like this before and if so do they have any recommendations and/or processes.

I've done it both using a USB 2.0 based capture card and a PCI capture card on much older hardware than you have. You do get a bit of noise here and there from recording it, but it's lightyears better than from VHS. Assuming your Laserdisc player just outputs component you will get decent results, one that outputs svideo may be even better.

The big thing with Laserdiscs is the quality of the player is way more of a factor in how good the video output is than with other formats.
This +1.

ClodBusted

I would say even if the video signal is stored as a composite (not to be confused with component video) signal, I'd output and capture it via S-Video if possible. Similar to what people did to digitize their VHS tapes back in the day, playback on good quality S-VHS recorders and let the machine dissect the source composite signal into S-Video. They won't make a visual miracle out of VHS tapes, but better to let the playback device do that work right from the source, than the capture device. Should help minimize dot crawl and colour bleed.

xcrement5x

I've got a number of LD players, all Pioneer though: CLD-A100 (LaserActive), LD-717, CLD-D504, and another dual playone.  I'm guessing the CLD-D504 is probably the best since it is the latest released. 

I've heard a lot of folks say that the s-video on a LD player can actually be inferior to the composite in many cases and is only as good as the comb filter that's being used on the player. 

Please correct if I'm wrong, but if LD is natively stored as composite, I would think that would be the most original source to work from.  Anything you're getting from S-video would already have gone through the comb filter (which has quality varying by player) from the source composite.  I'm not sure if you'd be relying on the capture device to filter everything or I'd then need some extra hardware in between the LD composite source and the capture card to get a better result though.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

roflmao

I have used a DVD recorder to capture some of my laserdiscs and they have turned out pretty good. My laserdisc player has s-video out, but as previously alluded to, the digital comb filter in my DVD recorder and TV is better than the one in my Laserdisc player. The colors are more vibrant when using composite out.

Once the disc has been recorded, I use Handbrake to convert it to an mp4.

I've posted a couple of them here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!6kEHhYSb!xZZheev-wfPM09C0ZRuTwQ

xcrement5x

Thanks for the info?  What kind of DVD recorder did you use? 

After doing research it looks like I could base capture the composite into my PC and then use some apps to act as a comb filter as well.

SignOfZeta

I can't recommend the DVD recorder option enough. Of course it depends on the specific unit, but I can't see any over the counter capture card doing the sort of magic my DVD recorder does. These things (the good ones) were designed to record VHS, and VHS is really similar to LD so it's a great match.

Once the video is played back and captured, you're stuck dealing with what's in the file. With a good DVD recorder you don't even need to waste time with a computer. It's already very well calibrated to do exactly what you want. Just get it right the easy way, as its recording.

As for the comp vs Y/C thing, it depends on what you have but generally the composite will look best. Also, most of these recorders only have composite iinputs anyway so you don't have a choice. I have a CLD99 (best comb filter of any non-boutique U.S. player) and it still looks better going to strait to composite. Something happened with comb filter/deinterlacer chips after SD died that would have been very appreciated during the actual life of SD. Back in the 90s people would spend thousands on signal conditioning doodads that didn't work half as well as a $129 VHS/DVD combo deck.
IMG

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2015, 03:07 PMThanks for the info?  What kind of DVD recorder did you use? 
This is the one I have.  I got it from Amazon a few years ago, but it looks like they aren't for sale anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder/dp/B0038JECKY

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2015, 10:27 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/08/2015, 03:07 PMThanks for the info?  What kind of DVD recorder did you use? 
This is the one I have.  I got it from Amazon a few years ago, but it looks like they aren't for sale anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder/dp/B0038JECKY
Wow, those are not cheap are they  : O

I may need to start saving my pennies for that.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2015, 10:53 AMWow, those are not cheap are they  : O

I may need to start saving my pennies for that.
Yeah, they seemed to have jumped in price. I'm pretty sure when I got it, it was under $100. 0.o

ClodBusted

It might be way more affordable to get one used in auctions or so. On Amazon, when some items go out of production and there's a single marketplace seller left with them, they drive the price up for reasons unknown to me.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2015, 04:41 AMIt might be way more affordable to get one used in auctions or so. On Amazon, when some items go out of production and there's a single marketplace seller left with them, they drive the price up for reasons unknown to me.
Yep. Keep an eye on your local CL as well.

You could also keep an eye on Best Buy.  It's currently out of stock, but they list it at a much more reasonable amount: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-dr430-dvd-player-recorder/1308074847.p?id=mp1308074847

xcrement5x

So patience was the key here.  I was keeping an eye out at the thrift for these kinds of units and have mixed luck until last night when this bad boy showed up:

IMG

It's a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V and my initial tests with it show it will work quite nicely for what you recommended, I am going to need to spend a bit of time figuring out how it fully works though.  I tested it last night a bit with a couple VHS tapes though and it looks quite nice.  I also tested external input with a game system and it was playing fine.  Time to get some DVD+RW discs and start messing around!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/26/2015, 11:33 AMSo patience was the key here.  I was keeping an eye out at the thrift for these kinds of units and have mixed luck until last night when this bad boy showed up:

IMG

It's a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V and my initial tests with it show it will work quite nicely for what you recommended, I am going to need to spend a bit of time figuring out how it fully works though.  I tested it last night a bit with a couple VHS tapes though and it looks quite nice.  I also tested external input with a game system and it was playing fine.  Time to get some DVD+RW discs and start messing around!
Did you get a remote with it?
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

No remote, but from what I can tell the original remotes doesn't looks like it really has any special functions on it.  I can probably get away with a universal remote or a similar Panasonic.  If worse comes to worse I can probably find an official replacement since the unit seems relatively widespread.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 08/28/2015, 10:13 AMNo remote, but from what I can tell the original remotes doesn't looks like it really has any special functions on it.
That seems...impossible, even for a Panasonic. Is there a moving panel somewhere? Because I don't even see "Play" on that thing. I don't see how you're going to name chapters or adjust recording quality.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/28/2015, 06:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/28/2015, 10:13 AMNo remote, but from what I can tell the original remotes doesn't looks like it really has any special functions on it.
That seems...impossible, even for a Panasonic. Is there a moving panel somewhere? Because I don't even see "Play" on that thing. I don't see how you're going to name chapters or adjust recording quality.
Lol yes there is a moving panael.  On the right side underneath the DVD that panel drops open with a lot of buttons and extra stuff in there like the USB and SD slot.  I can get into a lot of the menus, navigating is just a bit of a pain.  May just pick up an official remote though since you can find them for about $15.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2015, 11:14 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/28/2015, 06:07 PM
Lol yes there is a moving panael.  On the right side underneath the DVD that panel drops open with a lot of buttons and extra stuff in there like the USB and SD slot.  I can get into a lot of the menus, navigating is just a bit of a pain.  May just pick up an official remote though since you can find them for about $15.
A worthy investment.
--DragonmasterDan