Blazing Lazers - the attract mode player is terrible

Started by Gentlegamer, 06/26/2015, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentlegamer

Anyone find it hilarious how in the "attract/demo mode" for Blazing Lazers the player dies in less than five seconds in each stage shown?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/26/2015, 06:52 PMAnyone find it hilarious how in the "attract/demo mode" for Blazing Lazers the player dies in less than five seconds in each stage shown?
Hahhahahhaha. 

It's to show a variety of stages quickly?

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

The player in the Side Arms demo lasts a bit longer, but dies in a very avoidable way.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

It was a subtle ego-boost, to extremely poor players, to see a demo with horrible strategy.

o.pwuaioc

Yeah, I'd probably guess it's a combination of what esteban said (both things) in addition to showing what's harmful, maybe?

Pokun

It always annoyed me as a kid when the attract mode player in games was so bad and died so early, and often stupidly like he had a death wish.

CGQuarterly

Dude, watch the attract mode on Keith Courage.  It literally looks like the person had never played the game before.

wilykat

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2015, 02:59 PMDude, watch the attract mode on Keith Courage.  It literally looks like the person had never played the game before.
Well, why bother with proper gameplay if the game is going to be included with every TG-16 for free?

CGQuarterly

Quote from: wilykat on 06/27/2015, 03:35 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2015, 02:59 PMDude, watch the attract mode on Keith Courage.  It literally looks like the person had never played the game before.
Well, why bother with proper gameplay if the game is going to be included with every TG-16 for free?
Well, in my opinion the attract mode should give you an idea of what it's like to play the game, and maybe even teach you a tip or two.

esteban

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2015, 03:42 PM
Quote from: wilykat on 06/27/2015, 03:35 PM
Well, in my opinion the attract mode should give you an idea of what it's like to play the game, and maybe even teach you a tip or two.
Some attract modes reveal tips, but I always thought that poor AI in an attract mode was intentional, since it didn't want to spoil too much of the game.

I am a very anti-spoilers person, that's why I liked when attract modes did not show all the stages in a game. Some games only show the first few levels. Also, that's why I liked attract modes that  only briefly showed a stage...you get a glimpse, but it really is just a tease.

If you think about it, the origin of the attract mode is to lure quarters (uhh, I mean "players") to specific games at an arcade.

Anyway, there's no point to attract modes in a console game, but I love that they exist. Well...I suppose attract mode could have been used by retail stores to promote sales of particular games. That makes sense.

ClodBusted

Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2015, 03:52 PMAnyway, there's no point to attract modes in a console game, but I love that they exist. Well...I suppose attract mode could have been used by retail stores to promote sales of particular games. That makes sense.
Yes, this is what most department stores in Berlin had in the 90s, lots of TVs connected to consoles with games looping in attract / "push start button" demo mode. You had to be lucky get the opportunity to play a game actually by yourself instead of judging it from the demo screen.

We had no real videogame arcades here, since they fell under the same laws and restrictions as slot machine halls, thus prohibiting minors even from accessing such places.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2015, 04:41 PMWe had no real videogame arcades here, since they fell under the same laws and restrictions as slot machine halls, thus prohibiting minors even from accessing such places.
You were robbed of the joy of arcades!
IMG

VenomMacbeth

Are there any games wherein the attract mode only shows stages you've played through?  I think Override might do it, but it may just show you all the stages except for the last couple...maybe...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/27/2015, 07:07 PMAre there any games wherein the attract mode only shows stages you've played through?  I think Override might do it, but it may just show you all the stages except for the last couple...maybe...
Yes, I think there are. Of course, I can't think of any titles right now, but I feel certain that I have observed this behavior (only show demo for stages played) in the past.

ClodBusted

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/28/2015, 03:59 AM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/27/2015, 05:05 PMYou were robbed of the joy of arcades!
We certainly were.
I did not know about the arcade situation over there. :(

Cruel.

turboswimbz

I always thought attract modes, were just there to hide Easter eggs and unlimited lives codes . . .
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Pokun

I didn't know Germany was that bad.

Although we could enjoy arcade machines in Sweden, real game centers were limited to the biggest cities. Now arcades are almost extinct here. :(