Kuma Soldier, Hi-Ten Bomberman, FX-Fighter and more unreleased PCFX???

Started by TurboGrafx Retrogaming, 07/31/2015, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboGrafx Retrogaming

Hello PC-FX Gamers out there!

I'm curious about finding out more on the unreleased treasures that were demoed prior to the PC-FX launch. We know that there was no such Lords of Thunder FX game as the images were pulled stills from the LoT commercial. However, the other games that Aaron highlights in the section below doesn't mention where these demo discs currently live (if they do), or if there is a leak of the footage or "game" software anywhere...I realize they are extremely rare and probably only a couple developers who worked on the PC-FX back then have access to it on some lost hard drive; just would be fascinating to see/play on an actual PC-FX. Thought I'd ask the forums...

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_facts___rumors.html

Here is the only known video footage I could find (Maybe I should contact the users who uploaded) :-k

KumaSoldier:
FX Fighter:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1927r4_fx-fighter-for-pc-fx-from-hudson-caravan-94-another-version-of-battle-heat-from-caravanforever_videogames
Cyber Fighter:
and finally...the most unique, Hi-Ten Bomberman (unknown if on a PC-FX but I can dream)
Maybe I should just buy Sapphire, Dracula X, and Zeroigar instead  :mrgreen:

Sorry for the long-winded post!
Thanks
Check out my random, retro, turbo-inspired, video game eye candy at:
https://instagram.com/turbografxretrogaming

esteban

Sadly, they are probably mock-up demos...so, we don't even know if they are anything but animation approximating what an actual, playable game would be like. :(

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 07/31/2015, 01:21 PMSadly, they are probably mock-up demos...so, we don't even know if they are anything but animation approximating what an actual, playable game would be like. :(
The fighting games all look like they were done using Hudson's early Battle Heat "video-switching" engine/tech and seeing if they could generate enough interest to do another game.

Kuma Soldier looks slightly more interesting, at least, to me ... it includes the 3D fighter model that they later recycled in the "Super Star Soldier 3D" pictures.

They've done a little bit of pre-rendered 3D video to demo a LaserDisc-style level ... which isn't difficult to do, but then there's the 2D shooter part, which I'd definitely love to see!

Here's another video of some Japanese team interviewing NEC in 1994 ...
You can see that they got to actually play all those fighting games (although I've witnessed journalists quite happily fake that for the camera before).

What I loved seeing was the development/prototype PC-FX that they were being shown this stuff on.

Wouldn't it be nice if SamIAm could be persuaded to upload a subtitled version of that video some day, for those of us that don't speak Japanese!  :wink:

16bitgium

Thank you very much for that video! Street fighter and FX fighter look in the same vain of battle heat. It's a shame they never got released but I don't think they would have changed the outcome of the PC-FX succes. Cyber fighter looks horribly slow I can understand why that got canned :).

The only bright light here is Kuma Soldier which looks actually playable. I wonder if the reused some of the graphics for this game for the gamecube version of star soldier because they have that same pre rendered look. Which looks totally out of place in the NGC/PS2 generation