10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

(8/29/2015 - 9/04/2015) Game of the Week: Akumajo Dracula X - Chi no Rondo

Started by SamIAm, 08/29/2015, 02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
August 29 - September 4: Akumajo Dracula X - Chi no Rondo
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IMG
(chosen by o.pwuaioc)

It almost makes no sense to introduce a game that needs no introduction, yet here it is anyway. Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo was released in 1993 and is the predecessor to Symphony of the Night.

This game is mostly standard Castlevania fare. You play as a whip-wielding Richter or magic-wielding Maria and traverse fairly linear stages to reach Dracula's castle. However, a few things make it unique. For one, there are multiple paths to take depending on which route in a level you go. It also pioneered the "item crash," which allows for charging up a sub-weapon for extra damage.

The game is gorgeous with large sprites (check out the Behemoth!) and a great soundtrack. It's fairly difficult, but not overwhelmingly so. Veterans of Castlevania series will find themselves comfortably at home with the mechanics.

There was a Super Nintendo version of the game that was noticeably inferior, and a PSP remake was released, but I have not played it, since it is in 2.5D, and we all know that is far uglier than 2D.

While the game is in Japanese, it does not really affect gameplay. Still, however, there is a Romhacking patch which apparently uses the PSP version to dub over the original.

---------------------------------------------------

GOTW Schedule:
1. 8/22/2015 - 8/28/2015: Override (lukester)
2. 8/29/2015 - 9/4/2015: Rondo of Blood (o.pwuaioc)
3. 9/5/2015 - 9/11/2015: Street Fighter 2 (Nec.Game.head)
4. 9/12/2015 - 9/18/2015: Bloody Wolf (Gentlegamer)
5. 9/19/2015 - 9/25/2015: Kabuki Itoryodan (Sadler)
6. 9/26/2015 - 10/2/2015: R-Type (crazydean)
7. 10/3/2015 - 10/9/2015: Fray CD: Xak Gaiden (Nulltard)
8. 10/10/2015 - 10/16/2015: Wizardry 3&4 (BigusSchmuck)
9. 10/17/2015 - 10/23/2015: Lords of Thunder (SamIAm)
10. 10/24/2015 - 10/30/2015: TV Sports Hockey (gredler)
11. 10/31/2015 - 11/6/2015: Blazing Lazers (escarioth)
12. 11/7/2015 - 11/13/2015: Genpei Toumaden (VenomMacbeth)
13. 11/14/2015 - 11/20/2015: Hyper Wars (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
14. 11/21/2015 - 11/27/2015: Drop Off (turboswimbz)
15. 11/28/2015 - 12/4/2015: World Court Tennis (grolt)
16. 12/5/2015 - 12/11/2015: Atlantean (jtucci331)

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).

SamIAm

Many thanks to o.pwuaioc and lukester for writing the blurbs for their respective GOTW! It makes my job easier and it results in better blurbs.

I'll only add that I know a lot of you have played Rondo of Blood just about to death. We've all done that with some of our favorite games. Well, now is a good time to revisit the game and take the path you rarely take. It's also the perfect chance to reflect on little things that you love in the game, and share those things to get more people excited about it on a deeper level.

In short, no excuses! Play!

------------

In other news, there is plenty of room (unlimited room, really) for new submissions. Don't be shy.

I fixed a date problem with crazydean's submission, and I also did a little switcheroo with jtucci31's submission since he wanted to change it.

wildfruit

Looks like I'll have to bring the wii out of hiatus for this on Monday morning.

grolt

I'd love to be able to play this on the Turbo hardware but with the English patch.  I see that there are BIN/CUEs of this patched game available, but I haven't burned a disc like that since I was a teenager with little disposable income in the Dreamcast days.  Is there some kind of method or tutorial for burning TG-CD games?  Naturally, I buy the physical copies of every game, but for patched ones like this and the amazing-looking Ys IV I'd sure love to be able to play those without emulation.  Sorry if this is off-limits to talk about here or if there are already threads addressing this - quick searches have proved fruitless.
I'm a notorious strange man.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

grolt

Gentlegamer

Quote from: grolt on 08/29/2015, 10:35 AMI'd love to be able to play this on the Turbo hardware but with the English patch.  I see that there are BIN/CUEs of this patched game available, but I haven't burned a disc like that since I was a teenager with little disposable income in the Dreamcast days.  Is there some kind of method or tutorial for burning TG-CD games?  Naturally, I buy the physical copies of every game, but for patched ones like this and the amazing-looking Ys IV I'd sure love to be able to play those without emulation.  Sorry if this is off-limits to talk about here or if there are already threads addressing this - quick searches have proved fruitless.
Use ImgBurn, burn at slowest available speed.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

PukeSter

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/29/2015, 02:45 AMLooks like I'll have to bring the wii out of hiatus for this on Monday morning.
That's what I'm playing it on too. :)

It's fun replaying this game, finding all the secrets like before.

There's so much attention to detail it's astounding.

I never noticed before that when Death changes his cloak to brown, he spits before he flies at you.

This, New Adventure Island, Bonk 1 and 2, Parasol Stars, Ninja Spirit, and Legendary Axe I and II are the A list platformers for the system.

o.pwuaioc

Who's else is playing this? I hope I made an all-right choice. This GotW gives me a good chance to play through all the way on real hardware.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2015, 10:00 PMWho's else is playing this? I hope I made an all-right choice. This GotW gives me a good chance to play through all the way on real hardware.
I will be playing it once I beat Override (I have the damn game in a box somewhere).

Or, maybe I'll just play Dracula X now.

pulstar

I'll be playing this week. Good excuse to play through again. :D
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Gentlegamer

I'll have to use this week to revisit my stalled save game. I'm at the last stage, but it's tough.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

PukeSter

Got the 100% with Richter. However, I used Maria for Stage 5' since it was very tough.

It's the perfect Castlevania game.

Gentlegamer

IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/30/2015, 06:43 PMYou have to use only Richter or you're a filthy casul.
Did that a few years ago, so whatever.

I'll give it another go later.

jtucci31

Started replaying through this again. Only this time using only Richter. Hopefully I can 100%, but just beating it is fine with me too. I started playing earlier tonight and I had the TV on so loud that my neighbor heard as he walked by in my dorm. He knocked on my door and said "Hey, is that Castlevania?". I then got to show him the super awesome Super CD version of a Castlevania game, as he was familiar with the NES one and Castlevania IV. He enjoyed what he played, and I may have made a new friend. Oh the wonders of the PC Engine, lol :)

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what else to say about this game that won't involve me mushing over it. So I'll just say this: A few summers ago I was able to buy the soundtrack at some Japanese store in the mall. They had a bunch of game OST's and I saw Castlevania and had to buy it. Immediately after that I had to go to work so all throughout work, I listened to that soundtrack and delivered pizzas. It was a great day of work for me. However the case to the game was pretty flimsy so I just kept it at my house. Every once in awhile though, when listening to baseball games gets boring, I'll bring it along to work and jam to the soundtrack when I deliver pizzas. I've been meaning to get some more, like the Ys series, for work. But Castlevania does the trick just fine. So hearing this soundtrack again while playing it is absolutely fantastic. One of many things to go ga-ga over.

Glad someone chose this for GotW. This needed another play-through from me!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2015, 01:47 AMStarted replaying through this again. Only this time using only Richter. Hopefully I can 100%, but just beating it is fine with me too. I started playing earlier tonight and I had the TV on so loud that my neighbor heard as he walked by in my dorm. He knocked on my door and said "Hey, is that Castlevania?". I then got to show him the super awesome Super CD version of a Castlevania game, as he was familiar with the NES one and Castlevania IV. He enjoyed what he played, and I may have made a new friend. Oh the wonders of the PC Engine, lol :)
That's pretty awesome! I have a friend coming over Friday. First time he learned I had a Duo I had burned a copy of this game, my first burned game for it, because this was the one game he really wanted to play first. Unfortunately, it was the game that proved my Duo couldn't handle burned CDs without the pots being adjusted (and I still haven't gotten around to that!), so now he's coming over so he can experience the real disc.

Rondo of Blood: bringing people closer together.

escarioth

first time i played... it blew my mind totally...i hated the snes version so much
in comparaison to super castlevania IV back then !!!

its been a blast of happiness ever since :)

game didnt last 2 days to unlock at 100%.  :mrgreen:
i want more  :shock:
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

SamIAm

I made it from 0% to 78% in the last 24 hours. There's no denying that this is a hell of a game, and one of the PCE's crown jewels.

pulstar

Just finished a Richter run through. The soundtrack is awesome. I've always considered it good, but it's just way better than I remember. I need to play this a little more frequently I think. I'll go for Maria run through next.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

crazydean

Really enjoying this game. The controls were pretty frustrating at first, especially those damn stairs. But, once I got used to it, everything went smoothly. I really doubt this game will get finished this week, but it's worth a shot.

780racer

I have been trying to get a english version working on mine but only works up to about 4% then either no sound and then crashes later. I may just have to call it quits and burn a JP version.

seieienbu

Finished a run through all the main level endings.  I'm going to go through the extra paths tomorrow.

There's not a lot to be said about Dracula X that hasn't already been said.  My favorite things about the game are the extra touches everywhere.  Enemies that you see only once, background objects that are only used in one location, and such a varied look to the levels really show what the extra storage space on a CD are good for.  Yes, CD audio is obviously cool, but when you suddenly don't have to worry about ever running out of space for visual assets you can have room for a ton of interesting looking objects, rooms, enemies, etc.  On a cartridge based game you just didn't have space for all the one-off enemies:  the plant monster in the first level, the cross in chapel, the one dude who's moving all those rolling boulders from the chains to the ramps, all of the bosses seen looming in the background of levels, etc.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 08/30/2015, 05:08 PMGot the 100% with Richter. However, I used Maria for Stage 5' since it was very tough.
Yeah I'm currently having some trouble with the Stage 5 "Why you no cussin'?" boss. Richter can just be so slow and it's hard to dodge those sickles quick enough

Mercutio

I just did a re-run using only Richter myself. The last Games Done Quick had an awesome speedrun of it... they went into detail about how the boss of 5 is unpredictable and has no discernible tells. I knew he was tough, but figured there was some cheap way of dispatching him... I guess not!

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 11:42 AM
Quote from: PukeSter on 08/30/2015, 05:08 PMGot the 100% with Richter. However, I used Maria for Stage 5' since it was very tough.
Yeah I'm currently having some trouble with the Stage 5 "Why you no cussin'?" boss. Richter can just be so slow and it's hard to dodge those sickles quick enough
Hehe sorry Tucci, I meant the alternate Stage 5. The one you can only get after beating the game.

It's called 5'. There's two paths but no boss. Either fight two sword knights at once, or do some hellish platforming.

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:32 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 11:42 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/30/2015, 05:08 PMGot the 100% with Richter. However, I used Maria for Stage 5' since it was very tough.
Hehe sorry Tucci, I meant the alternate Stage 5. The one you can only get after beating the game.

It's called 5'. There's two paths but no boss. Either fight two sword knights at once, or do some hellish platforming.
Ah butts. Now I feel lame for not being able to beat it yet. I'll get there, there's still some time left in the week for me to beat it. I'll get there, I still enjoy playing even when I'm doing poorly.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Nulltard on 09/02/2015, 05:31 PMI still can't get past the minotaur.  How is that for lame? :lol:
The minotaur would be easy were it not for the rocks he throws at you.

SamIAm

Advice for Minotaur: Hit him with the very tip of your whip, and be very aggressive.

I've presently unlocked all stages and rescued everyone, but I still have to beat the final stage. Hopefully that will happen within the next day or two.

Bardoly

I played through and beat this game over the last two days.  I tried to do a Richter-only run, but a couple of the stages were quite brutal, so I wimped out and let Maria take 'em down.  After finally getting to Dracula, I did go ahead and beat him with both characters.  Now I just need to go back and 100% this game.

SamIAm

jtucci31

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

technozombie

I 100%'ed this game around Christmas of last year. I never figured out how to do Maria's move demonstrated in the special video though. I didn't have too much trouble with the Minotaur but the Boss rush part took me quite a while.

Gredler

grolt

I was able to give this a go last night thanks to Lost Monkey sending me over a copy of the patched game.  It actually played well on my system, much better than the burns I've been doing for Ys IV, which leads me to believe either my media is bad (likely) or I am doing something wrong in the burning process (less likely).

As for the game, I've always found the 2D Castlevanias to be clunky (limited attack directions, having to "engage" with the stairs before you can slowly walk up them) and this one continues that trend, but the presentation is just so beautiful it's really easy to overlook the archaic NES-era gameplay.  They have an excellent Save/Menu system that makes it easy to play the game in chunks and work away at your progress.  I'm not very far, only 24%, but I've enjoyed what I've played so far.  The way the cut scenes and the presentation works in seamlessly with the gameplay is beautiful and ahead of its time.  Shame Nintendo's strong arm policy towards third-party developers robbed us from getting a legit release of this game in NA.

Damon Plus

I don't have the Turbo original. However, I managed to play it and understand why so many people were disappointed by Dracula X. The name is very appropiate, as they rollaly f***** up the game! The original version was one of the best castlevanias in the entire series.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: grolt on 09/05/2015, 02:33 PMAs for the game, I've always found the 2D Castlevanias to be clunky (limited attack directions, having to "engage" with the stairs before you can slowly walk up them) and this one continues that trend, but the presentation is just so beautiful it's really easy to overlook the archaic NES-era gameplay.
The only complaint I really have concerning "archaic NES-era gameplay" is actually also a fault with the PC Engine: pressing up and attack for the sub-weapon. Unfortunately, the PCE launched with only two button controllers, so that's what we were stuck with, but I think it would have been much better if it had a three button controller and that third button in Dracula X was the sub-weapon.

Gentlegamer

Pressing up and attack for sub-weapon lets you spam whip while also using the sub-weapon.
IMG

johnnykonami

I like pressing up and attack for the subweapon too.  I've been playing since Castlevania 1 so it feels pretty natural to me!

munchiaz

I was playing with Ricter and tried to do an item crash and accidently reset my pc duo r.....so I picked Maria and bodied the game

seieienbu

100% but a couple of days late.  Oh well, at least I could finish it while it was still relevant at least.  Dracula X is always satisfying to play and this time was no different.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

grolt

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/06/2015, 09:21 PMPressing up and attack for sub-weapon lets you spam whip while also using the sub-weapon.
That's cool but my problem is that whenever I am doing some tough plat forming or jumping I tend to accidentally hit up and attack and will often waste the sub-weapon unintentionally.

esteban

You guys just need a bit more practice. I am a total spazz with games when I get stressed out and I never had a problem with controls in Dracula X.

SumerNivek

Never have played this "what I assume" is the one of the best games in the series.  I have the PSP remake, but yeah, the 2.5d is not what I was looking for.  I think there is a way to unlock the original version on the PSP, but I lost interested trying to play it on the small screen.  Maybe one day after getting my Turbo CD fixed, finding a Super CD-ROM card, and getting a copy of the game, I can hopefully finally play it.

PukeSter

Quote from: SumerNivek on 09/07/2015, 06:28 PMNever have played this "what I assume" is the one of the best games in the series.  I have the PSP remake, but yeah, the 2.5d is not what I was looking for.  I think there is a way to unlock the original version on the PSP, but I lost interested trying to play it on the small screen.  Maybe one day after getting my Turbo CD fixed, finding a Super CD-ROM card, and getting a copy of the game, I can hopefully finally play it.
If you have a Wii or even Wii U, the game costs only $9 on the Wii Virtual Console.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of emulation, there is a "PC Port" here on this very forum. Credits to who made this.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/pc_port_project_-_dracula_x.html

SumerNivek

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2015, 08:53 PM
Quote from: SumerNivek on 09/07/2015, 06:28 PMNever have played this "what I assume" is the one of the best games in the series.  I have the PSP remake, but yeah, the 2.5d is not what I was looking for.  I think there is a way to unlock the original version on the PSP, but I lost interested trying to play it on the small screen.  Maybe one day after getting my Turbo CD fixed, finding a Super CD-ROM card, and getting a copy of the game, I can hopefully finally play it.
If you have a Wii or even Wii U, the game costs only $9 on the Wii Virtual Console.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of emulation, there is a "PC Port" here on this very forum. Credits to who made this.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/pc_port_project_-_dracula_x.html
Thanks for the suggestions!  I do have a Wii U, but I may have to check out the "PC Port."  Thanks for the link!

Gentlegamer

It's Halloween, and time for me to revisit Rondo of Blood!

For most of this year I've had a weird schedule that made it hard for me to game, but now it's time for me to revisit my stalled game of Rondo and try to finish the last stage.

I'm using Rondo to kick off my tradition of playing Halloween themed games this time of year, focused on the Castlevania and Ghosts 'n Goblins series.
IMG