Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread

Started by SamIAm, 10/22/2015, 06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/01/2015, 04:47 AMChapters 1, 2, and the prologue are finished and proofread.

Chapter 3 is at about 10%.

Total completion is about 25%, although nothing is in final-draft form.

From now to the end of Chapter 7, things are going to be heavy. I'll try to finish Chapter 7 before January is out, but no guarantees.

I do think this is turning out pretty well, though. I really like the way this game is written and put together. It's never boring to work on.
Thx for the update! It's really fun to follow along with this project. Thanks again for working on this!

elmer

The nasty debugger tricks that I needed to use to get the font-hack working before are no longer needed, and both Xanadu 1 and Xanadu 2 are now being properly patched on the CD.

Here's the first dialog from Xanadu 2.

It mainly shows that it's nice to get a lot of text on a single screen, but it also shows that because of the patterned background in the dialog box, it's a lot harder to read than Xanadu 1.

I think that I'm probably going to have to risk the wrath of "purists" and add a drop-shadow to the font.

Hopefully that won't offend anyone.

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

pixeljunkie

[hyperventilating]

So exciting. I know I would not be offended by a drop shadow on that type.  =D>

SamIAm

Oh man, it looks soooo much better when the lines fit in the text boxes.

Great work!

NecroPhile

There's nothing wrong with adding a drop shadow, though that text looks okay to me as is.  I'm just happy for the translation.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

If adding a drop shadow increases text readability, for goodness sake go with the drop shadow. Purists should play the game in Japanese, because a translation is inherently impure.

Also, from what I've read of SamIAm's philosophy of translation, purists may not be happy, anyway, since it sounds like he prefers good writing to transliteration.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2015, 06:50 PMAlso, from what I've read of SamIAm's philosophy of translation, purists may not be happy, anyway, since it sounds like he prefers good writing to transliteration.
And that's precisely why I'm working with him ... I like to read the text that he writes.  :wink:

It goes back to the recent "Wanting to learn Japanese?" thread.

It takes years of hard work to get his kind of proficiency in Japanese, and a completely different skill altogether in actually being able to make that translation fun to read.

We all benefited from those skills with Zeroigar, and now I'm looking forward to seeing the Xanadu games translated with the same flair.  :)

roflmao

technozombie

Keep up the good work, it is really enjoyable to read about the project and follow along.

SamIAm

Aw, shucks. Thanks elmer. :mrgreen:

We make a pretty good team. I'll do my best.

Now back to work!!  :lol:

(I'm almost 50% through Chapter 3)  :wink:

SamIAm

Chapter 3 is done, though proofreading remains.

SamIAm

Chapter 3 proofreading is done.

---------------------

This is a great game to be working on for many reasons, not the least of which is its easy chapter-based structure.

When I did Princess Crown on the Saturn (another complete script waiting to be hacked in), the spider-web structure of the game's progression made the text dumps difficult to deal with. Script files would typically contain text from one specific area only, e.g. a town, and they would usually contain all of the text ever used in that area. It would be normal to see sentences used in the very beginning of the game not far away from sentences used in the very end of the game, just because they happened in the same location. There was some division, but it wasn't much, and the order of the scripts had almost nothing in common with the order of the game.

Bearing in mind that Princess Crown takes 20-30 hours to beat, it was really hard to recall the contexts of a lot of sentences as I was translating. I had played Princess Crown more than once before translating it, but there were a lot of minor lines that I either couldn't remember at all or couldn't remember the details of the staging and context for. When I finally had the chance to play-test the translation, there were dozens of places where I discovered little goofs based on context misunderstanding and had to go back to make adjustments.

Xanadu I is broken down into 12 chapters, and none of the chapters take place in the same location or have any kind of overlap with each other. The result is that the text dumps are very easily isolated on a per-chapter basis. Together with the fact that it only takes a two-to-three hours to play one chapter, this makes it incredibly easy for me to follow the contexts of the stuff I am working on.

For example, last week, I spent one day playing all of Chapter 3, and the next several days translating it. Even though the lines in the scripts are not exactly in the same order you encounter them as you actually play, it was nonetheless very easy to remember what was happening in each conversation I encountered while translating. The quantity of things I can't translate confidently due to forgetting the context is down to almost nothing.

The time I'll need to spend editing should be drastically decreased because of this, which is good news for all of us.

When it comes to other RPG script dumps, I'm not really sure what the most efficient way to approach them might be. Having a recorded "Let's Play" on hand could make it easy to search out each line in the dump and translate in-order of the game. However, preparing, organizing and searching the videos themselves could be such a chore that it would mostly negate any other benefit.

I don't know, but I suppose I'd like to try the "Let's Play" approach with the next game I translate. I also really wonder how "pro" game localization outfits deal with this kind of thing.

---------------

On to Chapter 4! I played it yesterday, and I'm ready to go on it today!

SamIAm

Chapter 4 is at 40%.

Progress is swift not because the amount of text is small, but because I've been sinking in a lot of hours. If you're curious, take a look at this:

/xanadu1_00189800_014.txt

Calculating by filesize, that is about 1.5% of the total script.

My process is to translate somewhere around that amount every day for five or six days in a row, then proofread it all for another one or two days, then move on to the next chapter.

Vimtoman

Thanks for sharing that.
it's great to view something like this to get an idea of how much work you guys do.

seieienbu

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/10/2015, 06:04 AMI'm hard at work!
Sounds really good!  It's nice to hear that the script organization allows for (relatively speaking) easy translation.  Thanks!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SamIAm

Chapter 4 is at 100%. Now I just have to proofread it.

Chapters 5, 6 and 7 are going to be "the hump", with 5 and 7 being especially large. Once I get those three done, it'll all be downhill.

Unfortunately, my real-life job is about to get really busy until the end of the month, so I don't anticipate being able to finish Chapter 5 until the first week of January. My overall goal, however, is still to have Chapter 7 done by the end of January and to finish everything by the end of February.

----------------

Elmer sent me a test build that let me see a bit of my translation working in-game. It was very eye opening.

The more I do this kind of thing, the more I understand why Working Designs took the approach they did and sprinkled in lots of jokes. It's kind of an obvious move, really. As the translator, you desperately want the script to sound nice, have a good flow, and maybe even be a little memorable, but there's a limitation even in the original writing that makes this difficult. Every line is structured like bite-sized, easily digested finger-food so that it can fit nicely in a text box and connect well with the other text boxes. It makes sense and all - anything else would be a lot harder to follow. But it does have a big impact on the rhythm and the momentum of how scenes play out.

Sometimes you look at a succession of lines you've just translated and think to yourself: This is basically working, but does it fly? Does it sing? Or is it just a string of bite-sized lines that go "thud, thud, thud" and then it's over?

And the thing is, maybe the original Japanese goes "thud, thud, thud", too. After all, these are just silly little sprites standing around saying stuff like "Here's the key to the abandoned mine. Be careful!". There's not a lot of Shakespearean depth going on in these lines. To an extent, you're kind of stuck, and this is when a little voice reminds you that if you just salt the lines with a little sarcasm or exaggeration or some other kind of joke, it will make it a bit more fun to read and memorable.

Often, too, you can't help but think "Well, why not?". For example, if there's an earthquake in the game, and every other damn NPC in a town is just saying some variation of "What a scary earthquake that was!", then where's the harm in re-writing one guy's line so that he jokes about the mayor being a lush? And if you're Working Designs, is it really such a big step to go from doing that to making a crack about Euro-Disneyland or whatever? The temptation is definitely there.

...But you do run the risk of alienating people who don't think your jokes are funny. It also is a misrepresentation of the original. In my opinion, people who think that a translation should use the exact same grammar and vocabulary as the original without exception are missing the point. However, there definitely comes a point you have to say "Is this The Legend of Xanadu in English, or is this SamIAm's original story that's heavily based on The Legend of Xanadu?". That's the kind of barrier I don't want to breach.

What I ultimately hope is that even if my translation isn't "snappy" at every turn like the script to a good Disney movie, it will still have an overall tone of simplistic charm, with just a little of its own personality. That's one thing I do think the Japanese original has, and is something that's really enjoyable in old games in general.

That's why I'm not planning on adding jokes or otherwise heavily spicing up my translation. I am taking liberties where necessary to make sure everyone sounds like they're speaking real English, and I'm also trying to mix in a nice variety of English idioms in appropriate places. Where the original does something well, I do whatever it takes to make sure the English is doing the same thing equally well. Beyond that, though, aside from a little nip-and-tuck here and there to make everything fit nicely into text boxes, I'm not really planning on changing anything. I hope it works.

When I'm in a later stage of editing, I'm going to be dealing with challenges like "Does this king really sound enough like a king?" and tweaking things to make sure each important character has his or her own "voice". That's a topic for another day, I guess. Anyway, I am going to try hard to make this good. Bear with me while I think out loud. It helps me organize my thoughts.

NightWolve

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/13/2015, 11:15 PMThe more I do this kind of thing, the more I understand why Working Designs took the approach they did and sprinkled in lots of jokes. It's kind of an obvious move, really. As the translator, you desperately want the script to sound nice, have a good flow, and maybe even be a little memorable, but there's a limitation even in the original writing that makes this difficult.

To an extent, you're kind of stuck, and this is when a little voice reminds you that if you just salt the lines with a little sarcasm or exaggeration or some other kind of joke, it will make it a bit more fun to read and memorable.

And if you're Working Designs, is it really such a big step to go from doing that to making a crack about Euro-Disneyland or whatever? The temptation is definitely there.
:)

CrackTiger

I don't think that translations should strive for being the closest a different language can be to identical. It should be balanced so that it feels as natural to the target language as the original was, assuming the source material was solid itself. But I don't think that something like Magic Knight Rayearth should have a guy going into detail about how much he enjoys the sensation of "pooping" his pants or jokes about condoms. Too often, the WD games with the most out of place references also have inconsistent dialogue which betrays the established personalities of the characters. In a fantasy game that isn't overtly wacky, a non-jokey serious character randomly delivering a wacky line as though a completely different person is speaking, using humor they shouldn't even understand and referencing specific things from our real world, totally breaks the game and disconnects you from who you thought they were. If Han Solo in the Force Awakens sees Leia for the first time in years and has the appropriate reaction, but then makes a joke about the song "Friday", then acts normal for 20 minutes until, in the middle of an action scene, exclaims "this woulda beeen WAY easier if I had mah Heelies!®", fans would be pissed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jtucci31

Thanks for that write-up Sam, that was a whole new perspective I hadn't even thought of in relation to this project. I never thought of dialogue like this in terms of " rhythm" but looking back you make complete sense. You and elmer are obviously spending lots of time in this project, but it's also nice to know the care that's going into it. I'm still anxiously awaiting this and checking these threads nonstop.

seieienbu

I'm of the opinion that dialogue should make sense regardless of when it was written.  Ideally, it shouldn't be full of pop culture references that date the thing and make it difficult to understand the "jokes."  I recently played through Popful Mail with my girlfriend who is a bit too young to have ever seen Dragnet (I only saw it as reruns on Nick at Night as a young kid) so I told her what the cops lines about "Just the facts, ma'am" were referring toward.  Jokes are fine but referential humor generally falls flat with me.  Lunar's reference to Bill Clinton makes little sense contextually and less sense when you play it today and see it merely as a relic of the age acting as a timestamp.  I feel that timeless humor works much better than something that only works due to current trends.

I'd hope that toilet humor is left out as well.

SignOfZeta

If I had to translate that much text and it was that boring and utilitarian, sure, I'd put jokes in there. Japanese people speak differently than us, write differently, etc. Their language in general is...maybe not limiting exactly, but it's extremely normal for people to use what are, by American standards, a lot of really uninspired vocabulary, too-the-point sentence structure, etc. Like a cop on the witness stand, he just reads exactly what his captain told him to say and there's no point in pumping him for anything else. Very boring. 

For example, when you kill a boss in a Japanese video game. What does he say...in virtually every single fucking game? Something like なんで。。。ばかよ!!! in nearly every JRPG I've cleared in the original language. I think Dracula says it too. Bosses, to a man, never seem to see their end coming, and always have a hard time believing it when it does. You'd get sick of writing that over and over again in English because in the English speaking world it's highly encouraged to use as much variety in your speech as possible.

The problem with Working Desgins was that their "humor" was for shit. An unfunny joke is less funny than just not having a joke in the first place. Jokes about TV shows and American presidents should be ruled out on subject matter alone when the setting is not a Leno monologue or your asshole uncle that thinks he's hilarious at Thanksgiving dinner.
IMG

SamIAm

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/15/2015, 04:53 PMIf I had to translate that much text and it was that boring and utilitarian, sure, I'd put jokes in there. Japanese people speak differently than us, write differently, etc. Their language in general is...maybe not limiting exactly, but it's extremely normal for people to use what are, by American standards, a lot of really uninspired vocabulary, too-the-point sentence structure, etc. Like a cop on the witness stand, he just reads exactly what his captain told him to say and there's no point in pumping him for anything else. Very boring.
There's a lot we could pick apart there, but I'll just say that the Xanadus don't suffer very badly at all compared to other RPGs of the time in terms of that kind of thing. The main cast and the important side-characters do a lot of interesting stuff together.

Old-school RPG dialogue tends to be short due to space limitations and expository due to the need to fit into the game structure. You can't really have text boxes popping up in the middle of a dungeon so that your two characters can have some witty back and forth about whether they'd give a guy a foot massage. If you've got a town full of people, you need to have the mayor or whoever tell the player where the next dungeon is and why he should go there, and you need to have all the other people who the player doesn't have to talk to say things that aren't particularly important. Any other kind of development needs to be shoehorned in carefully and discretely, or you risk ruining the pacing and turning your so-called game into a drawn-out melodramatic slideshow. Frankly, I think this is a trap that modern JRPGs have fallen into. Limitations have a funny way of making things cooler.

One thing Japanese does have that English doesn't which helps enliven short little RPG lines quite a lot is dialects and modes of speech that are easy to represent in written form. Without actually adding any whole extra words, it's easy to see if a character is a kooky old man, an air-headed teenage girl, a swashbuckling pirate, a "friend of Dorothy", a hardened boss, a polite servant, and more. In Japanese, it's all a matter of tweaking a few syllables.

In English, if you try to phonetically represent different styles of speaking, you quickly start toeing the line of annoying the reader. Chrono Cross's auto-dialect system was very ambitious, but it also gave us lines like "What'z zis? Non apologiez for bumping into moi? Ooh la lah, don't you know any mannerz?" To quote the blog where I found a screenshot of that line:

To repeat myself, dialect is hard to write properly. It is definitely not to be treated like some kind of textual garnish that you add by shoving your script into the Oi-Mate-O-Matic. Otherwise, you wind up with a big pile of what Chrono Cross is serving: Characters that are hard to relate to because their shitty "French" accents (or shitty Australian accents, or inexplicable dialogue quirks, or whatever) ping against your forehead like tiny pebbles.

QuoteFor example, when you kill a boss in a Japanese video game. What does he say...in virtually every single fucking game? Something like なんで。。。ばかよ!!! in nearly every JRPG I've cleared in the original language. I think Dracula says it too. Bosses, to a man, never seem to see their end coming, and always have a hard time believing it when it does. You'd get sick of writing that over and over again in English because in the English speaking world it's highly encouraged to use as much variety in your speech as possible.
If terms of being an overly-used set phrase for that kind of occasion, the English equivalent of ばかな would have to be "Noooooo!!!!" By itself, it's mostly just an expletive.

It's definitely a thing in Japanese writing for the bad guy to have a death monologue featuring "For someone as strong as me to have lost to a puny little weakling like you...it doesn't make any sense!"

None of those in Xanadu I so far!

And yeah, keeping the language varied is just par for the course when you're doing translation into English. I frequently do text searches on my whole translation just to make sure I'm not over-using certain words and phrases.

QuoteThe problem with Working Desgins was that their "humor" was for shit. An unfunny joke is less funny than just not having a joke in the first place. Jokes about TV shows and American presidents should be ruled out on subject matter alone when the setting is not a Leno monologue or your asshole uncle that thinks he's hilarious at Thanksgiving dinner.
OK, but people might think my humor is shit, too. They might prefer to keep the tone of the original, utilitarian lines about the weather and all. Again, I do find a charming simplicity in these old RPGs. "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" spells adventure for me. Adding a little dry sarcasm or whatever would tarnish the innocence of it.

My final thoughts on adding humor to the Xanadus is that I just might do it on occasion, but it would have to be things so slight and subtle that nobody would be able to guess that it wasn't in the original script.

SamIAm

Chapter 4 proofreading is done.

I had some unexpected free time and managed to get the first ~15% of Chapter 5 done. It would be great to get it finished off in December, but no bets on that one.

When this chapter is more like 50% finished, I'll be roughly halfway through the entire game. Of course, that's just making up the first draft, but that is one great big heavy step.

SamIAm

Chapter 5 is 50% done, and therefore the first draft of the entire game is 50% done.

Whenever it is that I do cross the finish line, I'm going to have to treat myself to something nice.

esteban

I am crying. The progress has been wonderful.

:) :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

in99flames

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2015, 12:40 PMN-Gage, eh? You can Xanadu while you side-taco-talk! I find it interesting Falcom/whomever decided the platform had enough potential for a title in the series. How is it?
Wow. Im late at seeing this. Ha. Well honestly...its still sealed. I havent popped it in yet. Ill post when i actually play it. From what ive read its apparently one of the best on n-gage. And yes...i will taco talk! Haha well ots not active as a phone. Honestly its an impressive device when you think of the time frame it was released. My version is the first...and taco one. Not the QD(2nd version).
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2015, 04:42 PMI am crying. The progress has been wonderful.
Well, here's a little bit more to get the "tears" flowing again!  :wink:

23601708220_f057673fa0_o.png

The Weapon Shops (Buy/Sell) are now working.  :D

They were the last major un-extracted parts of the main game in Xanadu 1.

Falcom put them together a bit differently from the rest of the main game, and it required some messing around to locate the scripts, and to deal with the item display code, which is unique to those sections.

From my POV, the major code hacking in Xanadu 1 is nearly complete (barring any bugs).

There's still the Boss sections and anything that's in the Cinematic sections to deal with ... but hopefully those are going to be minor ... we'll see.

Then there's some text that is pre-baked into tiles/sprites (like the Main Menu options) that will need to be replaced ... but that can wait for a while until I've looked at Xanadu 2 again.

There's still the actual translations to complete, and then a lot of testing/refinement ... but it's all looking good.  :dance:

johnnykonami

The progress you've made on this is amazing!  We're lucky to have you working so hard on it to the benefit of nearly everyone, and I think I speak for everybody when I say thanks for that!  Can't wait.

seieienbu

esteban

NightWolve

SamIAm

The end of December was super busy for me at work, and New Year's involved visiting in-laws and getting sick (not that those two necessarily had anything to do with each other).

Anyway, I'm back on the case now. Elmer got me a whole bunch of weapon-shop and menu-related stuff to work on for both games, so I paused my progress on Chapter 5 of Xanadu I to get all of that done. While there is going to be some length adjustment to do down the line, we are at least good to go for testing purposes.

I almost got a little choked up working on the Xanadu II menu stuff. I've been waiting to do that for SO long.  [-o<

Back to work on Xanadu I!

esteban

God damn, the language barrier is crumbling, brick by brick.

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 01/03/2016, 10:21 AMGod damn, the language barrier is crumbling, brick by brick.
Piece-by-piece!  :wink:

Hopefully, everyone here can see by now that it's going to get finished this time around ... it's just a matter of giving us the time to polish it all up to where we're satisfied that we've done the best job that we can do.

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/03/2016, 03:27 AMAnyway, I'm back on the case now. Elmer got me a whole bunch of weapon-shop and menu-related stuff to work on for both games, so I paused my progress on Chapter 5 of Xanadu I to get all of that done. While there is going to be some length adjustment to do down the line, we are at least good to go for testing purposes.
Thanks!  :)

It's been really great to get to work on those "missing" pieces and make sure that they're going in smoothly.

The Xanadu 1 script files have gone in with no trouble ... and I'll blog about the Xanadu 2 technical niggles in the other thread.  :-k

Here are some more pretty pictures ... in particular, take notice of what the "bold & outlined" text is looking like now.

I'm not really loving how the overlap between the characters is looking ... but I can't eliminate it without switching from the current bi-width font to a proper variable-width font.

That's going to have to wait until sometime later (if there's enough memory for the extra code).

IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SamIAm

I prefer the slimmer font, too, but we really ought to see how it looks running on real hardware through composite video.

That shouldn't be far off!

jtucci31

I agree too. The fatter font makes it look shadow-ey, I like slim letters. But whatever pans out works for me! I love seeing news in this thread, big or small!

elmer

I prefer the slimmer font, too.

In fact, I've changed the default in Xanadu 1 from the bold-and-outlined font to the normal (slim) font.

Remember ... it's just an option that you can change in the game's Pause Menu.

I suspect that Falcom didn't really love it either, since they completely removed that bold-and-outlined effect in Xanadu 2.

There's some temptation to just remove the option in Xanadu 1 ... but it feels a little bit like "cheating".

I don't really see it as my job to apply "fixes" (a.k.a. my personal preferences) to Falcom's game.

The only exception to that is going to be trying to implement a drop-shadow on the font in Xanadu 2 ... and that's because in-my-experience it is really important to have good contrast between the font and the background when displaying a single-pixel-width line on a CRT TV at 256-wide resolution.

SamIAm

Chapter 5 is now completely translated and proofread.

It's the biggest chapter I've done so far and the second biggest in the game. Only Chapter 7 is larger, and only by another 7% or so.

On to Chapter 6! That one's a little smaller. Actually, I think it's the third biggest in the game.  :dance:

Xanadu I is huge, you guys.

deubeul

TailChao

Quote from: elmer on 01/06/2016, 11:58 AMThe only exception to that is going to be trying to implement a drop-shadow on the font in Xanadu 2 ... and that's because in-my-experience it is really important to have good contrast between the font and the background when displaying a single-pixel-width line on a CRT TV at 256-wide resolution.
At least the resolution is 256 pixels wide and not 320. Also the typeface isn't RED :)
NTSC artifacing is great until it isn't.

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 01/07/2016, 03:31 PMAt least the resolution is 256 pixels wide and not 320. Also the typeface isn't RED :)
NTSC artifacing is great until it isn't.
Hahaha! The joys of "safe colors" and "border zones" and the different bandwidths for luma vs chroma that nobody has to bother about anymore!  :wink:

Yep, I always go for 2-pixel-wide stems on fonts at 320-resolution ... but we can get away with 1-pixel wide stems here in the Xanadu games (and most other PCE games).

I used an editor to mock-up a couple of variations to see what they'd look like ...

Default ...

IMG

With drop-shadow ...

IMG

With drop-shadow & old-style "i" and "l" ...

IMG

I definitely prefer the drop-shadow, and I also prefer the old-style "i" & "l" if we're going to leave the font-width as it is.

If I can switch to a variable-width font later on, then I'll probably want to go back to the sans-serif "i" & "l".

What do other people think?

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/06/2016, 11:53 PMXanadu I is huge, you guys.
Hahaha ... I can tell ... I keep on having to increase the amount of memory that I'm allocating for all the extra English text in the script chunks!  :lol:

Great job!  :D

Dicer

seieienbu

I like the old style 'i' and 'l' more.  Feet on the letters just make it more pleasant to read.

SkyeWelse

Just checking it to see the progress and it really looks like it is coming along nicely! Looking forward to finally being able to understand and enjoy these titles. :) I'm a huge Xanadu series fan.

Btw, if you do happen to do a dub for the games, I'd be interested in auditioning for a part, though I am afraid I don't know the characters well enough yet. I did Lefance in the Ys IV dub.

-Thomas

johnnykonami

Drop shadows definitely, I like either version of the letters but I'm leaning more towards the sans-serif ones.  Definitely looking really great no matter what you go with.

SamIAm

I finished preview-playing Chapter 6 today and got about 5% of the translation done. I'd like to have it at 100% and proofread within ten days.

Also, I tested a Xanadu I build on real hardware through composite video on a 29 inch HD-CRT. In short, both the fat and skinny fonts look fine, and shouldn't need any drop-shadow. There's a small chance the skinny font would be hard to read on tiny/cheapo/ancient SD-CRTs, but the low composite video signal quality itself should not cause any readability problems.

NecroPhile

Quote from: elmer on 01/07/2016, 07:23 PMWhat do other people think?
The drop shadow would be my preference, but really they all look good and are easy to read.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/08/2016, 05:55 AMI finished preview-playing Chapter 6 today and got about 5% of the translation done. I'd like to have it at 100% and proofread within ten days.
Excellent!  :D

QuoteAlso, I tested a Xanadu I build on real hardware through composite video on a 29 inch HD-CRT. In short, both the fat and skinny fonts look fine, and shouldn't need any drop-shadow. There's a small chance the skinny font would be hard to read on tiny/cheapo/ancient SD-CRTs, but the low composite video signal quality itself should not cause any readability problems.
I agree, Xanadu 1 definitely doesn't need the drop-shadows ... the text is already on a dark and non-patterned background, so the contrast is already perfect. You wouldn't even be able to see a drop-shadow against those backgrounds.

It's only Xanadu 2 that needs (IMHO) a drop-shadow, which is because the text is displayed on top of those blue or brown textured patterns. The drop-shadow helps to visually pull the text off that backdrop (on a high-resolution display) and gives the lousy NTSC composite signal time to cleanly display the 1-pixel text stem (on a lower-resolution TV display).

We used 1-pixel text (in the 5x12 speech font) in Zeroigar, and it's the standard width for the PCE's System Card font.

AFAIK it just normally gets displayed on a single-color backdrop, or with a drop-shadow if it's on top of a "busy" backdrop.

I'm sure that people here can happily point out plenty examples that contradict that statement, but I'd still personally like to see that drop-shadow in Xanadu 2.  :wink: