@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbob Xpress: Bringing affordable "gamer's" games to the community! Nearly Gone

Started by BlueBMW, 10/29/2015, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanBeavkov

tldr - It's complicated.

I've been thinking about the issue of reproductions and the community and here is my 2 cents.

Reproductions will happen, I think that fact there is only 1 person/group doing Turbo reproductions (is this correct, I have not seen another) is surprising considering how easy it is to press CDs.

I did a google search for "SNES Reproductions" and i got 6 different sites selling repros in the first 7 links. Which are selling the likes of Zelda ROM hacks, F-Zero 2, Star Fox 2, and English translations of Bahamut Lagoon, Final Fantasy 4, 5, & 6, Ys, DragonBall Z, Tenchi Muyou RPG, and many many others.

So to me it looks like if you translate a SNES game a reproduction WILL be made.

I'm not sure but I think this means the odds of legal reprisal are probably low, especially to the translators. Now I'm not saying it is not a valid concern, it is, I just think the odds are low.

So I guess it comes down to how much will it bother you that someone else might take your work and make money from it? This is a tough question and one each person has to answer for themselves.

Now how does this apply to the Turbo community? I mean you can just burn a CDR, right? (I'm not going to talk about chip games since the everdrive is an option there.) Well as shown by some threads on this site that is still too high a bar for some. I have made my fair share of coasters myself.

So someone who wants to play a game that is talked about being great but it is expensive decides to burn a CDR. They find an iso and get some burning software, burn the disc with the default settings, try it, and it does not work. So they find someplace to ask questions, here, some other forum, facebook, wherever, and they are told, "Well you should use software X and brand Y of CDR. Oh, and you need to set your burn settings to Z." They try again it still does not work.

They ask more questions, maybe read a guide. Eventually they get a good burn, it works but not well. It skips, does not always load or has extra long load times. At this point they have spent 2 weeks burned a dozen CDRs and still have not played the game, and now might have to pay to get the laser adjusted to read CDRs better. This means they will be without their system for a while and can't play any of the other games they have either.

At this point spending some $$$ on a pressed bootleg starts looking mighty good since the system plays pressed discs just fine. So when you say to just burn a disc and don't buy bootlegs, what people are comparing is:

A lot at time end effort to get a good burn and possibly sending their system to get the laser to get re-calibrated.
  vs
Dropping some $$$ on a bootleg that will be shipped to them in a couple of days.

Yes there are the shelf collectors and flippers out there but I don't think it is productive to spend to much time or energy worrying about them. If no one did anything that could be flipped then nothing would be done. Then I think the community would slowly shrink and die which would be a much greater tragedy.

Wow, that got to be a lot longer than I expected. If you read the whole thing congratulations you get 1 internet cookie* and think you for reading. :-)

*Not a real cookie.

shawnji

I wonder how difficult it is to add a screen at boot-up that says something like, "This is a non-profit fan-translation.  If you have paid more than the cost of shipping and materials for this product, you have been ripped off.  Please support the official release."  I can recall Tomato having his own little intro screen on a Super Famicom detective game he translated, so it seems doable.  I just don't know how much work it would entail to make it happen and whether or not repro makers are savvy enough to remove them;
 making them pointless.

I'd almost be tempted to have a really boring NPC say something about it if the former would be wasted effort.

CrackTiger

Quote from: shawnji on 11/17/2015, 12:43 PMI wonder how difficult it is to add a screen at boot-up that says something like, "This is a non-profit fan-translation.  If you have paid more than the cost of shipping and materials for this product, you have been ripped off.  Please support the official release."  I can recall Tomato having his own little intro screen on a Super Famicom detective game he translated, so it seems doable.  I just don't know how much work it would entail to make it happen and whether or not repro makers are savvy enough to remove them;
 making them pointless.

I'd almost be tempted to have a really boring NPC say something about it if the former would be wasted effort.
This has been discussed at great length here and dev and translation team members and the rest of the normies are evenly divided.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

technozombie

My shipment arrived. Thanks Bernie and all those involved. Looking forward to the next round.

elderbroom

My shipment arrived today .. north of the border.  Thanks again Bernie, and everyone else helping with this effort. This was really the only scenario in which I would acquire these repros.  Looking forward to the next round.

i63.tinypic.com/24ch1y1.jpg
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

Bernie

Samuray

Quote from: Bernie on 11/17/2015, 04:14 PMAlmost out of Dracula X, MM3, and Shadowgate. 
That reminds me: Should I already pay for the Shadowgate you put aside for me while we wait for the Dungeon Explorer II batch? I know you send out the invoices and don't want people to send money, but we can do it anytime if you like. Or we wait.

Bernie

Quote from: Samuray on 11/17/2015, 04:24 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 11/17/2015, 04:14 PMAlmost out of Dracula X, MM3, and Shadowgate. 
That reminds me: Should I already pay for the Shadowgate you put aside for me while we wait for the Dungeon Explorer II batch? I know you send out the invoices and don't want people to send money, but we can do it anytime if you like. Or we wait.
No, I have it set aside for you.

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bernie

Keith Courage

There is going to be a dungeon explorer II batch as well?

Bernie

Quote from: Keith Courage on 11/17/2015, 05:02 PM
Yes.  We should have the following titles in hand by next week sometime.

Dungeon Explorer II
Bonk III
Godzilla
Dynastic Hero
Dracula X Japanese

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Bernie on 11/17/2015, 05:04 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 11/17/2015, 05:02 PM
Yes.  We should have the following titles in hand by next week sometime.

Dungeon Explorer II
Bonk III
Godzilla
Dynastic Hero
Dracula X Japanese
nice, let me know when the next batch comes in. i would be interested! if anyone is making cases or can provide a link to where i can purchase cases, let me know.

elderbroom

Not sure his uid on this forum. But Jodi Whetham is making cases and manuals for these games.  You can find him commenting in the main Facebook Group "Turbob XPress".  Quality looks great, and price is solid.  Mind you he is in Canada .. so will be more costly shipping to the US for some of you.
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

retro junkie

Dungeon Explorer II? Now you've got my attention. Bonk 3 and Dynastic Hero,... now I am drooling over the next batch.  :dance:

Back of my mind is hoping for some Rayxanber.

ginoscope

Quote from: elderbroom on 11/17/2015, 07:17 PMNot sure his uid on this forum. But Jodi Whetham is making cases and manuals for these games.  You can find him commenting in the main Facebook Group "Turbob XPress".  Quality looks great, and price is solid.  Mind you he is in Canada .. so will be more costly shipping to the US for some of you.
His name is Brraap on this forum.  I just got my cases from him and they are really high quality.  He posted earlier in this thread.

CatPix

johnnykonami

CatPix

Groover

Quote from: Bernie on 11/17/2015, 05:04 PMYes.  We should have the following titles in hand by next week sometime.

Dungeon Explorer II
Bonk III
Godzilla
Dynastic Hero
Dracula X Japanese
=D> That is exciting news. Thanks again.
IMG

Jason_dicarlo85

kosko99

Conzilla

How does one get on the list? I understand iam new here and that other users will be ahead of me.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Conzilla on 11/18/2015, 11:12 AMHow does one get on the list? I understand iam new here and that other users will be ahead of me.
Read the first couple of posts?

geise

GoldenWheels

Quote from: Bernie on 11/17/2015, 05:04 PMYes.  We should have the following titles in hand by next week sometime.

Dungeon Explorer II
Bonk III
Godzilla
Dynastic Hero
Dracula X Japanese
=D>

Very nice to get a chance to own these affordably. Bonk 3 especially, for me.

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

CatPix

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: elderbroom on 11/17/2015, 07:17 PMNot sure his uid on this forum. But Jodi Whetham is making cases and manuals for these games.  You can find him commenting in the main Facebook Group "Turbob XPress".  Quality looks great, and price is solid.  Mind you he is in Canada .. so will be more costly shipping to the US for some of you.
Quote from: ginoscope on 11/17/2015, 08:05 PM
His name is Brraap on this forum.  I just got my cases from him and they are really high quality.  He posted earlier in this thread.
awesome! thanks guys i'll have to send him a message. i dont mind that he is in canada, as long as he can get these cases for me, that'll be great!

IvanBeavkov

Ok, so I made some more inserts. I hope you guys like them.

Go here to download high quality versions.
https://goo.gl/photos/Mc69TSw2EJpXvBq58

Dungeon Explorer II
IMG

Bonk 3
IMG

Godzilla
IMG

Bernie

johnnykonami

BlueBMW

On the back of that Godzilla insert... it says it can use the Turbo Booster +?  How would that be possible hehe
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CrackTiger

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/19/2015, 03:11 PMOn the back of that Godzilla insert... it says it can use the Turbo Booster +?  How would that be possible hehe
I hope that blurb was taken from the official version. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Supercom32

Holy $hit just got mine!. Awesome media quality!. All of my PCE cd-rom systems appreciate it. I don't longer have to play that shady CD-r disc that the units lasers seem to hate and struggle with, many thanks!

@Bernie, please let us know when the new batch of games are in. Looking forward to get Bonk III, Godzilla and Dynasty Hero.

IMG

ToyMachine78

Got mines today too. Hearing drac x in English rocks! It fired right up and picked up my existing save.

I think my tgcd actually reads/ loads these faster than the official games lol

Dicer

Got my discs today, now to whip up some purty cases for em, thanks again :)

LostFlunky

Mathius

*Post moved to PC Engine sales forum

TR0N

Got the dracula-x and beyond shadowgate yesterday thanks berine !
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Psycho Punch

Quote from: TR0N on 11/20/2015, 02:11 AMGot the dracula-x and beyond shadowgate yesterday thanks berine !
Anyone who ignores the almighty "Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra" deserves derision [-(
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

gheebee

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 11/20/2015, 02:16 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 11/20/2015, 02:11 AMGot the dracula-x and beyond shadowgate yesterday thanks berine !
Anyone who ignores the almighty "Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra" deserves derision [-(
Never got into the series so i couldn't be bother to  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

grendelrt

Platinumfungi

I'm not on the forums much these days, but I just saw this thread and wanted to say a big PROPS to you guys for doing such a service for the community! It's awesome to see such good will. Great work!

Sent you a PM, Bernie :)
IMG

nopepper

Just received mine yesterday.

Thanks again, especially for not limiting this to the cool kids and letting us noobs/peons also be part of this great offer.

ginoscope

Just got my games and they look great in the cases Brraap made.  Thanks again to everyone involved and looking forward to the next batch. 

I did go ahead and decide to try out MM3 so I need to make space on the duo for this game.

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2015, 03:13 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/19/2015, 03:11 PMOn the back of that Godzilla insert... it says it can use the Turbo Booster +?  How would that be possible hehe
I hope that blurb was taken from the official version. :P
Ha, I put in all of the devices that have save memory. I just didn't think to remove the booster+ for a CD game insert. I will leave it though it makes it feel more 'authentic'.

Bernie, got my discs today. I can't wait to dig into them.

shawnji

Got mine in today as well!

/20151120_181738.jpg

Thanks again, guys!  I can't wait for the next batch!

Marto_Jo-ing

Thanks Bernie and Team, I received my games today. Thanks so much! The quality is excellent.You guys kick ass! Cheers!!!
 (This is going to be a Awsome weekend of gaming!!!)