WTB: Turbo Duo (US console) with recaps, laser repair and Scart

Started by goldenpp72, 11/04/2015, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenpp72

Hello, I am trying to dive back into buying some games for my Turbo but I still do not have the means to play US released CDs despite having some, I don't really need a region switch but would be open to it if that was needed, but I am looking for a US system to keep the US theme of my setup going, and have been told the laser and capacitors tend to fail over time, and that if I want to use a Scart cable that I won't be able to without an amp and such.

Also this might not be relevant but, I have a genesis model 2 Scart cable as a spare so, if the connector was that I wouldn't even need to buy one of those, but otherwise i'm down with anything really. I would be open to buying one of these either outright or, working with you on buying one from ebay and sending it to you for service if we can agree on a price. I have cash on hand to deal with it, but I have always been told to use this forum in order to find the best modders for the job as I guess a lot of the work on eBay and elsewhere is a hack job.

Anyone who can help me with this would be greatly appreciated as it's by far the most challenging system for me to add to my setup, and also what is preventing me from wiring up everything once and for all :(

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

goldenpp72

Yep I know, and I am considering that option if needed, but if possible a standard US duo would be my preference since of the systems I own none of them are imported yet, you could call it a theme :P

MNKyDeth

I know the model 1 Genesis port is wired different than what anyone here would use for RGB modding the Duo's. If the model 2 uses the 9pin mini din then I think no one here RGB mods the Duo's with that pin configuration either.

goldenpp72

If i can't use my model 2 genesis scart cable that's not an issue at all really, I just figured if it was possible, why not. I'm definitely open to doing whatever to get it going though.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/04/2015, 10:47 PMYep I know, and I am considering that option if needed, but if possible a standard US duo would be my preference since of the systems I own none of them are imported yet, you could call it a theme :P
They're ALL imported.

This thread is funny, IMO. He specifically wants a US Duo which probably costs an extra $150 and gives you literally nothing but an English language memory manager (all five words of it) yet would like to have a Genesis style DIN hacked into it so he doesn't have to splurge on another $10 cable. That's pretty thifty!
IMG

goldenpp72

You seem to have a problem, wanting a US themed system to fit in with the other 30 US themed systems I have is not unusual. As for the cable thing, it's not a relevant request but a mere note in the event it was just as practical. I paid over 700 dollars just for the wiring and upscaler I use for my setup (and am waiting for another modder to finish his scart switches that I need 2 of, costing 160 a piece) so thrifty isn't a word i'd use for my habit. I'm fine to pay whatever a fair going rate is for the system and work needed to be done, looking through older post i've seen people sell work and hardware here for less then my upper limit that's for sure. I paid around 200 dollars for the parts and labor to mod my top loader NES system (*gasp*, it was a US released system too) where as I only paid 30 bucks to mod a Nintendo 64, i'm well aware of the various cost and differences in parts/effort needed for these systems. The US Duo being a more rare console is an obvious hurdle yes, but I made that clear from the start that it was my hope, so if anyone here is able to do the work they can hit me up and everyone (but you) is happy I guess?

And yes, I am willing to shell out the extra money for a US system, why is that a problem for you? As I said, every single console and item I own is a native US themed console or item with nothing that was designed with the aesthetics of another region, you have people who obsess over wanting a piece of cardboard box or clear shrink wrap around a box, and the biggest bone you can pick is wanting a US Duo? Amazing.

CrackTiger

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/06/2015, 08:15 PMYou seem to have a problem, wanting a US themed system to fit in with the other 30 US themed systems I have is not unusual.
Having 30 US themed systems is not usual.

Unfortunately, the TurboDuo, like the NES and N64 is only available in North American. You may need to commission a new plaque for US themed game room.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

goldenpp72

Owning or knowing what a Turbografx is would be considered unusual at this point wouldn't you say? Anyone who has an interest in this system probably doesn't classify under the normal spectrum of current day interest, it's a hobby that everyone interprets in their own way.

I find the userbase of this forum can be difficult at times because it's a mix of enthusiast who want to share in their enthusiasm with a group of others combined with some unusually angry people who spew hate over any little thing that doesn't conform to their exact way of handling things. Anyone who is on this forum is already in a niche range of people, it would just be nice if everyone could be happy that others also want to partake in playing these games even if the context differs from person to person. Right now my only way to play Turbo games is a US duo hooked up using an RF switch with no capabilities to play the disc based titles, so I'm limited both in terms of the games I can play, but also horrible visual quality as well. If I can find someone who can do the work for me I'll have an awesome means to play these games through a really cool setup, that's all.

technozombie

Message turbokon or keith courage they both are excellent modders. Primarily the people here are about playing games. Requiring a certain name on system a when a playable one can be had cheaper doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like paying big bucks for a US sonic for master system when the only difference is a barcode sticker. Now, I'm not judging or picking sides, just explaining the rationale.

goldenpp72

Well of course I understand that side, I'm a big gamer and that means I like exploring a bunch of avenues to play games. I am a collector too which I know is in itself a bad word around here, but I collect with the intent to play and also allow others to play as well. My area is setup with the best resources I could muster in order to hook up and enable use of the consoles for actual play rather than just a room filled with bookshelves and sealed games no one can touch you know?

Just unlike some, the turbografx is not the only system to which my interest is in, it's one of many systems I am working on so that I can just browse a library of games and say, that one to whatever is on the shelf when the mood strikes. I missed out on it as a kid and the games I have played seemed very fun, so I'd like to expand my options while staying within my parameters set for all the rest.

Regardless, I see no reason for people to get so upset over someone who operates differently then them. Personally, i'm not big into people who only collect sealed games because as I am, I really enjoy playing them and sharing with others the stuff they might have wanted to try, but I don't go jump down a persons throat for collecting sealed, it's their money and time to use as they want, and if I was able to lead them the right way I would. Just common courtesy versus being a jerk.

Unfortunately I am not rich enough to buy every good game on the planet, denying imported games was one of the cost control methods I employed when I began buying older games because I knew i'd never have the finances or space to represent every system I wanted fairly, so at times the US version of something cost more, but ultimately will result in me spending a lot less. Obviously I wish I didn't have an OCD about that, but some things aren't easily helped :p I do appreciate the names though, one person has been messaging me with info but i'll keep them in mind too if they can help.

mickcris

I have a system that I was planning on recapping, rgb modding and then selling.  I have not started and not sure when Ill have time to do it, but maybe within the next couple of weeks (assuming it works and all it needs is a recap).  If you can wait that long, I can do this one for you.

IMG

I recently moved and am just about settled in now so will have some time to start working on this stuff again.

NecroPhile

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/06/2015, 09:37 PMI find the userbase of this forum can be difficult at times because it's a mix of enthusiast who want to share in their enthusiasm with a group of others combined with some unusually angry people who spew hate over any little thing that doesn't conform to their exact way of handling things.
Go back and read zeta's post again.  Pointing out the incongruity of insisting on a TurboDuo and wanting to get it cheap (less than ebay, anyway) while wanting to save a few bucks by recycling a cable is hardly hateful.

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/06/2015, 09:37 PMRight now my only way to play Turbo games is a US duo hooked up using an RF switch with no capabilities to play the disc based titles, so I'm limited both in terms of the games I can play, but also horrible visual quality as well.
So you have a Duo..... it's somehow hooked up via RF.......... and it doesn't play discs?!?  There are several peeps here that can remove whatever RF mod is installed, restore the oe composite, repair the cd drive, and/or add rgb, component, or s-video mods.

Or did you mean that you have a TurboGrafx but got too caught up in your hurt feelings and name calling to post coherently?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

Do you have a US RF unit? I'd like to see pictures of that!
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/06/2015, 10:34 PMRegardless, I see no reason for people to get so upset over someone who operates differently then them. Personally, i'm not big into people who only collect sealed games because as I am, I really enjoy playing them and sharing with others the stuff they might have wanted to try, but I don't go jump down a persons throat for collecting sealed, it's their money and time to use as they want, and if IUnfortunately I am not rich enough to buy every good game on the planet, denying imported games was one of the cost control methods I employed when I began buying older games because I knew i'd never have the finances or space to represent every system I wanted fairly, so at times the US version of something cost more, but ultimately will result in me spending a lot less. Obviously I wish I didn't have an OCD about that, but some things aren't easily helped :p I do appreciate the names though, one person has been messaging me with info but i'll keep them in mind too if they can help.
You are overthinking the shit out of something that is suposed to just be fun toys for fun toy time. Your "cost control" regimes aren't nearly as effective as just buying stuff that's fun. Denying "imports" as a way to save money in the realm of Turbo doesn't work. The US stuff is idiotically overpriced. Some games are literally hundreds of dollars more expensive than the JP version. As we discussed, the Turbo Duo system is an excellent example of this. Dynastic Hero and Magical Chase are other good examples. Fuck, just between the system and the two games I mentioned, the "US premium" is at least...someone help me here, $700 at least? You could own half the PCE library for $700.

As "spewing hate". Jesus, the overly tolerant revolt me. It's not like I formed a death metal band called "Collectardacide" and named my first album "GoldenPP72's Head on a Pike". It's just that you and your dumb collecting logic are used to being tollerated by most people you interact with, probably because they are too bored to respond at this point. In the unlikely event that you actually stay on this forum/collecting Turbo for a year or two, the dumb shit you say won't effect me any more than the dumb shit I say to you. I'll be completely numb from a year of your insufferable "alphabetized sock drawer" collecting philosophies and and you won't be anywhere near as big of a pussy.

Let's grow like this. Together.
IMG

DildoKKKobold

Hi goldenpp772, and welcome to the PCEngineFX forums!

To be interested in purchasing anything other than the prescribed PC Engine Duo with a region mod, you must answer the following questions correctly. It should be noted that some of these questions do not actually have correct answers, and you will get flamed regardless of answer.

1. When did you learn about the Turbografx? Any date after 2000 makes you a fraudulent non-fan.

2. Do you have Genuine InterestTM in the Turbografx-16?

3. Why do you want a Turbo Duo over a PC Engine Duo?

4. Are you fine with being told, repeatedly,  to buy the Japanese version, despite not being able to read the language?

5. What is your current post count? Be sure to post about those CD games you can't actually play yet, before being allowed access to buy a Turbo Duo.

6. Do you denounce collecting in all forms? Do you promise to go card only, and leave the cases, manuals,  cardboard for more established members of the forum? Only 10 year members are allowed to like cardboard boxes. Everyone else is just a fake fan.

7. Do you promise to run raffles to reward the same community that has treated you like dirt? Understand, most prominent members ran raffles back prior to 2010, thus allowing them a lifetime pass to treat every new member like dirt.

8. Do you denounce eBay, despite no one on these forums actually having TG16 games for sale?

Note that correctly answering these questions does not entitle one to actually getting a Turbo Duo. In reality, none of the participants in this thread actually even have a Turbo Duo to sell, making this line of questioning a total waste of time.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NecroPhile

blueraven

ToyMachine78

Obtaining a Turbo Duo isn't hard, nor is finding the folks here that can perform the requested mods.

Your obstacle is going to be finding someone willing to sacrifice a Turbo Duo by giving it a custom American flag paint job, just to satisfy your need for another "US Themed" console.

Good luck.

SignOfZeta

Man, there is some genuinely great shit in there. If you'd leave out two or three your logic would be flawless, but since you are a noob lover you'll probably not even know which ones.

Quote from: guest on 11/10/2015, 02:35 PMHi goldenpp772, and welcome to the PCEngineFX forums!

To be interested in purchasing anything other than the prescribed PC Engine Duo with a region mod, you must answer the following questions correctly. It should be noted that some of these questions do not actually have correct answers, and you will get flamed regardless of answer.

1. When did you learn about the Turbografx? Any date after 2000 makes you a fraudulent non-fan.

2. Do you have Genuine InterestTM in the Turbografx-16?

3. Why do you want a Turbo Duo over a PC Engine Duo?

4. Are you fine with being told, repeatedly,  to buy the Japanese version, despite not being able to read the language?

5. What is your current post count? Be sure to post about those CD games you can't actually play yet, before being allowed access to buy a Turbo Duo.

6. Do you denounce collecting in all forms? Do you promise to go card only, and leave the cases, manuals,  cardboard for more established members of the forum? Only 10 year members are allowed to like cardboard boxes. Everyone else is just a fake fan.

7. Do you promise to run raffles to reward the same community that has treated you like dirt? Understand, most prominent members ran raffles back prior to 2010, thus allowing them a lifetime pass to treat every new member like dirt.

8. Do you denounce eBay, despite no one on these forums actually having TG16 games for sale?

Note that correctly answering these questions does not entitle one to actually getting a Turbo Duo. In reality, none of the participants in this thread actually even have a Turbo Duo to sell, making this line of questioning a total waste of time.
IMG

CatPix

Somehow I start to understand why some peopel warned me about being thick skinned to get on the forum...  :mrgreen:

BigusSchmuck

It sounds to me like you are jumping over dollars to save pennies. Just get a refurbished modded Black PCE Duo or Duo-R and be done with it. There really isn't a reason why to have a U.S system nowadays other than to say you have one....

ginoscope

Quote from: CatPix on 11/11/2015, 11:09 AMSomehow I start to understand why some peopel warned me about being thick skinned to get on the forum...  :mrgreen:
Haa haa I was thinking the same thing but I am having a blast reading all the responses.

Bernie

Ehh, you guys that stick around will grow to love this place.

mickcris

He bought the one that I posted pics of on the last page.  Its on its way to him now.  You guys can probably lay off him a bit now. :)

CatPix

Quote from: Bernie on 11/11/2015, 04:22 PMEhh, you guys that stick around will grow to love this place.
I jsut don't get why everyone raged at this guy. He want something. He was pointed that there were cheaper options, he refused them. Fine.
As for the cable... If I was courageous enough, I'll mod ALL my system to have a female SCART socket on the back so I'll need only one standard cable to hook them up on my TV instead of havign to keep a cable for each system.

NecroPhile

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: CatPix on 11/11/2015, 05:56 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 11/11/2015, 04:22 PMEhh, you guys that stick around will grow to love this place.
I jsut don't get why everyone raged at this guy. He want something. He was pointed that there were cheaper options, he refused them. Fine.
As I attempted to point out in my humorish response, there is this pervasive idea in the forum that you must go with the cheapest option unless you have "Genuine InterestTM." (A phrase, I should note, is equal parts retarded and arrogant.) This amounts to people saying "Just get a PC Engine Duo with a modchip" or "Just get the Japanese version" repeatedly. 

The idea is, they want the "fly-by-night"  or insta-collectors to stay away from their hobby. While only slight bit of patience will net you any NES or SNES game,  it requires far more patience to get a TG16 collection at a reasonable price. Some of the newer collectors, who buy every game at whatever price it is on eBay, are validating the high BINs that sellers are charging.  This, in turn, drives the prices up further and further, and leaves less available for those who have been TG16 fans for longer. Additionally, these insta-collectors tend to sell their games within a short time frame of acquiring them, thus contributing to the cycle of rising prices.

An additional insult is that people join the forums specifically looking to score "deals." Deals that, in the mind of the forum, should be reserved only for those who will stick around and contribute. Granted, there are rarely deals here at all. Looking at the front page of B/S/T, the majority are WTB. No one has anything left to sell.

The problem with this mentality is two-fold. First, being a Turbografx fan for longer than others doesn't entitle one to lower prices. The market is what it is. It contains these insta-collectors, which, like them or not, they are a market force. No one deserves 50% off of eBay, simply because they had a Turbografx for many years. Second, being a dick to every newcomer that violates forum etiquette does not keep prices down, nor does it stop the insta-collectors from collecting. It simply gives this place the deserved reputation it has.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CatPix

I get what you mean ^^ thanks for the explanation. I understand it better, even if I'm still not sure it's appropriate.
I suppose one gotta learn to deal with that specific mindset.

Bernie

Quote from: CatPix on 11/11/2015, 06:45 PMI get what you mean ^^ thanks for the explanation. I understand it better, even if I'm still not sure it's appropriate.
I suppose one gotta learn to deal with that specific mindset.
ehh...  his explanation kinda veers off course somewhat.  Just stick around, and you will fit right in...if you choose to.

NecroPhile

Ignore DerpKobold.  He has hates this forum and most of its members, but he won't leave for greener pastures out of fear of losing his prime axe grinding area.

His 'genuine interest' argument is genuine horseshit.  Everyone gets told to opt for PCE versions, as they're the most logical choice; case in point - I was steered away from a Turbob PAC when I got the LA relatively recently.  It's just advice, not the equivalent of being told to go fuck yourself.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/12/2015, 11:22 AMIgnore DerpKobold.  He has hates this forum and most of its members, but he won't leave for greener pastures out of fear of losing his prime axe grinding area.

His 'genuine interest' argument is genuine horseshit.  Everyone gets told to opt for PCE versions, as they're the most logical choice; case in point - I was steered away from a Turbob PAC when I got the LA relatively recently.  It's just advice, not the equivalent of being told to go fuck yourself.
Especially in the case of someone like the OP, who is not rich and looking to ultimately save more overall in the end. Even if they only want the titles released over here, sticking to Turbo versions even when the PCE version is more or less identical or there is no language barrier will cost them an extra $10,000+.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Some people hate Japanese text so much they can't even handle having "スパマリオ" on the title screen of a game that is %100 identical in every other way.
IMG

technozombie

Prices aside, I personally think its cooler to have imported stuff.  It's much more interesting to show friends superior Japanese box art  or instruction manuals.

goldenpp72

While this topic was thrown way off my original intent, I would like to note that I have received a system with all the desired modifications and at what i'd call a reasonable price, so despite a few frustrating hurdles it does seem like some of the people here are able to give very good results if you wade through more challenging users. A few people did message me and in the end I went with the one that had the best condition system for the price range, but everyone who messaged me seemed like they had a lot of talent so I appreciate all the advice and time a few spent helping me with this. Special thanks for mickcris as he was the one who ultimately finished the work I needed as referenced earlier in the topic, really nicely done!

I spent a lot of time trying Rondo for the first time along with playing some Galaga, I look forward to being able to finally try out the CD titles as well as being able to play though an upscaler and not be forced to use RF/Composite for video. Hopefully I can have many years of time out of this system as i'm sure it will take a long time to try everything :)

ToyMachine78

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/12/2015, 03:47 PMSome people hate Japanese text so much they can't even handle having "スパマリオ" on the title screen of a game that is %100 identical in every other way.
What bugs me is that a lot of these games have English menus and commands, but Japanese text dialogue. Why is that!!?? Why not create text in both languages and give a language option? That irritates the hell out of me. It makes no sense from either regions perspective. I understand the story, but fumble through the game mechanics, or I can play the game but have no clue what the hell is going on.

CatPix

It has been investigated by game translators, and the most likely reason is that Japan, like most country in the world, have English classes. So Japanese, even in the 80's, knew to read some English words.
English words were used simply because of space.
English words can be written using 26 characters. If you only use menus options, chances are you can use only one simple font and all in uppercase, so you really need only 26 characters.

On the other hand, while Japanese English classes teach them lors of word lists and grammar rules, they are very poor at teaching them how to actually construct and understand english sentences. (a point that is very proven by the broken translations of so many games on the NES era) So a game written in english would be unreadable to them.
On the other hand, Japanese kanjis and hiraganas (to my understanding, they are two different writing systems) convey so much nuances that what would be a generic phrasing in English, with the change of only two kanjis in a sentance, tells you about the sex, rank, role of the character talking... and this, even if you don't actually SEE the character on screen; Japanese dialog are much richer and convey more information than English. It's one reason why so many Japanese games included text - What for us feels like sone generic sentences between the good and the bad actually carry much more for them.

So in short, English is used to save space, but Japanese is used to better convey the story.

SignOfZeta

Japanese use English for emphasis, because it's "cool" and because English (mostly) loan words are destroying their language. The PC Engine wasn't really sold outside of Japan so every cent spent on an English script would have been wasted. Then there are memory constraints, which were a real and constant presence in game development back then. Who would want to pay $8 more for a game because it was made using a high capacity chip so it could contain a translation nobody needs? It may make "no sense" to some people but it would have made a lot less sense to a lot more people to have a language switch. It would have shocked most PCE developers back in the day to learn than anyone non-Japanese is playing any of these games.
IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/19/2015, 02:18 AMWhile this topic was thrown way off my original intent, I would like to note that I have received a system with all the desired modifications and at what i'd call a reasonable price, so despite a few frustrating hurdles it does seem like some of the people here are able to give very good results if you wade through more challenging users. A few people did message me and in the end I went with the one that had the best condition system for the price range, but everyone who messaged me seemed like they had a lot of talent so I appreciate all the advice and time a few spent helping me with this. Special thanks for mickcris as he was the one who ultimately finished the work I needed as referenced earlier in the topic, really nicely done!
Congrats, glad you were able to get the system you wanted. Ignore the haters.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

A much more appropriate congratulations would be for going against his previously expressed intentions and trying at least one import game. Hopefully it'll be motivating enough to try more.

Groover

I can understand the want of the all black US TurboDuo. I love mine and I wanted it for years before I got mine. I did a couple years later grab a Duo-R. I love it. it does also have a region mod and RGB. RGB being the big reason I wanted it. Also because I think it is also very good looking as well. I have an all US  console collection but I'm also having a Japan console thing going on. For some it is introducing something new to something old and familiar but still being new to me. You can get a US TurboDuo just expect to pay more. You might want that money to buy the games. That is where the real money is spent.
IMG

ginoscope

Slightly off topic but do most of you guys own more than one console?  I have a pc engine duo and a Turbo express but still feel like having possibly a briefcase setup to play on my CRT since my DUO is RGB only.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/20/2015, 09:47 AM
Quote from: goldenpp72 on 11/19/2015, 02:18 AMWhile this topic was thrown way off my original intent, I would like to note that I have received a system with all the desired modifications and at what i'd call a reasonable price, so despite a few frustrating hurdles it does seem like some of the people here are able to give very good results if you wade through more challenging users. A few people did message me and in the end I went with the one that had the best condition system for the price range, but everyone who messaged me seemed like they had a lot of talent so I appreciate all the advice and time a few spent helping me with this. Special thanks for mickcris as he was the one who ultimately finished the work I needed as referenced earlier in the topic, really nicely done!
Congrats, glad you were able to get the system you wanted. Ignore the haters.
Listen to his advice. That kind of wisdom is what made DarkKobold the unrepentant asshole with zero self awareness that we know today. It doesn't come easy.
IMG

CrackTiger

QuoteI really don't quite understand how we got to where we are from "I only do US, thanks".
It was "I only buy US hardware and software, because I can't afford to waste money on pricey imports."

Advice was: if the cheapest option is your goal, then the near or actually identical PCE hardware and software will save you thousands of dollars.