10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Controllers, Favorites?

Started by MNKyDeth, 11/19/2015, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNKyDeth

What are your favorite PCE TG16 controllers?

I been thinking of picking up some 6 button Avenue controllers but am not sure.... Are they mostly for fighting games?

The normal controllers I like for the simplicity and such but as I expand my library especially with the TED once I get it in the mail what games really use all 6 buttons? Mostly just the fighting games? Are there other games that get use out of the 6 buttons?

CatPix

So far my favorite PC-Engine pad is the standard Coregrafx1 two buttons pads.

Retroblog - Coregrafx #2.jpg

I have an Avenue 6 pad, but it feels a bit too bulky and I don't know of any game using it aside from SFII.
I will try to get an Avenue 3 pad too but again, I don't know if so many games make use of it.

tbone3969

Quote from: CatPix on 11/19/2015, 11:13 AMSo far my favorite PC-Engine pad is the standard Coregrafx1 two buttons pads.

Retroblog - Coregrafx #2.jpg

I have an Avenue 6 pad, but it feels a bit too bulky and I don't know of any game using it aside from SFII.
I will try to get an Avenue 3 pad too but again, I don't know if so many games make use of it.
Where's the cord?

Edit:  What the?  The picture changed and now the cord is there.  Am I losing my mind?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NecroPhile

Heh, I saw the other pic too.  What's its story?

My favorite pads are the wireless ones, though they don't feel all that different than a normal corded controller.  The Ave 3 pad is nice as well, feeling much like a regular pad, and I don't much care for either the FX or Ave 6 pads due to their d-pads.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

I really do like the standard two button TurboGrafx/TurboDuo pad.

If we go into the realm of imports the AvenuePad 3 is nice.
I also like the Hori Commander Fighting PC as far as six button pads go.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

The 2-button turbo switched Turbo/PCE pad is my favorite controller in general. My favorite styled model is the DuoPad, which is why I used it for the Mysterious Song manual.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Corredor X

The standard ones, got used to its d-pad and I find the ones of Avenue Pad 3/6 a little loose. I like the Hori Commander (not the Figthing Commander, the 2 button one) too; bought a cheap not-working one sometime ago to adapt it for the Master System and do a pause mod, but I ended just fixing the thing - it was just a broken pin on the plug - and put it on PCE use.

gheebee

I've only ever used the standard controllers and the Hori 6 Button Fighting Commander and I greatly prefer the standard controller for anything that doesn't use 6 buttons. The Hori is usable but doesn't have as good of a feel as the standard imo.

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

munchiaz

got a shuttle pad recently, and it just feels so nice in my hands. I need to clean it up though as the contacts don't register everytime i press a button

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

CatPix

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2015, 11:19 AMHeh, I saw the other pic too.  What's its story?
No idea. I picked it from Google, and saw it had been modded, and I replaced it. I didn't wanted to suggest I used some kind of cordless stuff.
So I have no idea of what was going on with :D

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: CatPix on 11/19/2015, 02:43 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/19/2015, 11:19 AMHeh, I saw the other pic too.  What's its story?
No idea. I picked it from Google, and saw it had been modded, and I replaced it. I didn't wanted to suggest I used some kind of cordless stuff.
So I have no idea of what was going on with :D
It appears to be Hudson Joycard Sansui NES pad with a Zonk overlay. It might even be converted to work on TurboGrafx or PC Engine (I have a few standard NES pads that are converted).
--DragonmasterDan

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/19/2015, 11:40 AMI really do like the standard two button TurboGrafx/TurboDuo pad.

If we go into the realm of imports the AvenuePad 3 is nice.
I also like the Hori Commander Fighting PC as far as six button pads go.
Ave3 is my go-to controller.  Love it!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/19/2015, 02:47 PMIt appears to be Hudson Joycard Sansui NES pad with a Zonk overlay. It might even be converted to work on TurboGrafx or PC Engine (I have a few standard NES pads that are converted).
Not the beeyotch.  Cat's original pic was what looked like a standard PCE pad with its cable removed and something (usb port?) installed in its place.

< edit >

'Twas from some weird universal controller adapter thingy project: http://ultimate.arcade.pagesperso-orange.fr/multi-video-games-system-two.htm

ToyMachine78

Does a TG16 controller exist that has the sturdy feel of an NES pad? I hate how the turbob controller feels like an empty hollow shell. I like how the nes pad feels heavier and sturdier.

SignOfZeta

I use the Core Grafx pad. I have a bunch of them.
IMG

MattJ

I have used the TG16 controller, PCE-Duo and Duo-R, and Ave 3 controllers. Of them, the TG16 feels best to me. The D-Pad seems a little sturdier and less 'twitchy' than the PCE ones, though I do love the look of my off-white PCE controller since it matches my Duo-R. The Ave3 is interesting, but I do not have any fighting games so the three-buttons have not really come of use, yet. I would like to check out the Shuttle, Ave6 and RX controllers someday.

I have thought about opening up my white PCE controller and seeing if I could fit the insides of a spare TG16 controller inside, so I'll have one where the D-Pad isn't a problem. That's a project for another day though when I have a little more free time!

hoobs88

hoobs88

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/19/2015, 02:47 PMIt appears to be Hudson Joycard Sansui NES pad with a Zonk overlay. It might even be converted to work on TurboGrafx or PC Engine (I have a few standard NES pads that are converted).
Good eye! It was a Hudson Joycard Sansui NES pad that was converted to a PC Engine/Turbo Duo pad. I then customized the label so it would look more Turbo-riffic.

poponon

love my ascii joystick  . needs a cleaning on the inside tho .  got it for 5$ in a misspelled auction :)

csgx1

The cordless pad is my favorite mainly because it's the newest and the least worn d-pad out of my controller selection.  Both my Ave 6 and Ave 3 d-pads feel slightly stiffer and not as responsive, probably due to wear.

I like the Hori fighting commander for 6 button compatible games but I still prefer the overall feel of the standard NEC 2 button controller.

wilykat

Ave 3 as well.  Very close to regular controller but just slightly wider and the 3rd button can help in some games.

Groover

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2015, 03:14 PMDoes a TG16 controller exist that has the sturdy feel of an NES pad? I hate how the turbob controller feels like an empty hollow shell. I like how the nes pad feels heavier and sturdier.
I don't know I enjoy the feel of the turbo controller. To me it is like a premium NES controller. I like the sides being curved and not rigid. Also the D pad and button action is good. the cable is coming out the center and not the side or off set on the top. I do think that there is a bit of muscle memory for me. I have used this controller first when I was very young as a kid. So holding one now I have a memory of it.

I want to get a 3 button controller. I think that might be a nice option. Of the 6 button controllers I am not a fan of the Duo RX controller. My thumb is swimming in the d-pad on that one.
IMG

schweaty

Micomsoft XE-1 Pro for shooters.  Hori Commander (not fighting commander... 2 different controllers) for everything else.

WoodyXP

Hori Fighting Stick PC is my controller of choice for all games.  If I feel like using  a pad I go with the Hori Fighting Commander or RX Pad.
"I bathe in AES carts."

Bloufo

Quote from: csgx1 on 11/21/2015, 04:01 PMThe cordless pad is my favorite...
I'll go for this as well. Solid controller build.
As someone once said "they're great controllers if you can OBEY and not flop around like a monkey hopped up on amphetamines".  :P
In any case, I'm thinking of using an extension controller cord with the IR receiver unit so as to better position the line of sight sensor for better reception signal.

greedostick

Quote from: WoodyXP on 11/22/2015, 12:38 PMHori Fighting Stick PC is my controller of choice for all games.  If I feel like using  a pad I go with the Hori Fighting Commander or RX Pad.
This.

The Hori fighting commander is great.

6 buttons, and had a SNES style D-Pad, and SNES style " A B " buttons.
IMG

Alt-Nintega

My favorite is the TurboTap because you can hook up 5 controllers at once.
IMG

GohanX

My personal favorite for most games is a regular TG16 pad. The Ave 3 would win out but the buttons don't feel quite as nice to me, I'm not sure if it's just my pad (it was used, probably worn) or if they are all like that, but the buttons seem to rub a little, like the hole is a hair too small. I've entertained the though of trying to sand or drill it a hair larger, but I haven't had the stones to try it out yet. Other than the button thing, the third button comes in handy in so many games it's ridiculous. Dracula X, Super Star Soldier, After Burner 2, Shinobi all make great use of the third button without technically being 3 button games.

I like the Ave 6 more than most people, but I rarely use it for anything but 6 button games since I just prefer the other pads for 2 button games. If it were the only pad I had it would be fine though.

I shouldn't technically include this, but the BEST controller I have for the thing? A Saturn pad. I built a converter box a while back using a Cthulhu board that converts the Saturn pad into damn near everything, including the PC Engine. 9 times out of 10 though I'm too lazy to drag the converter box out and just use a regular PCE pad.

NecroPhile

My favorite controller is the pachinko controller.... said nobody ever.  :mrgreen:

MNKyDeth

Well, I thought about buying a bunch of the ACD fighting games. So maybe a worthwhile investment for two 6 button AVE pads and just keep my two button controllers as they do a fine job.

I was considering the 3 button pads because I guess the extra button can be used as shortcut's in some of the games? But in the end I don't really need that, unless I see a cheap one someplace I prolly won't jump on it.

The wireless pads intrigue me a lot. I am curious as to how long the batteries last in them. Alkaline or rechargeables. And can you sit comfy on the couch at least 6feet away maybe further without any issues.

NecroPhile

My couch is six or seven feet away from the TV and I don't bother with rechargeables, as regular batteries last a good six months anyway.

csgx1

I use rechargeable batteries in my cordless and it last for months.  Not sure exactly how long since I usually rotate batteries before it dies.

I've used the cordless pad across the room (10+feet) before without any problems.  It only works in the line of sight like all IR controllers/remotes.  So the controller sensor always needs to be pointed towards the receiver.  Sometimes my hands drift out of line during intense gaming and the controller loses response.

Alt-Nintega

^ the loss of response when not in line of sight could be a very big issue. Being required to sit still the entire time and pointing controller directly to receiver is too strict.

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 11/26/2015, 12:03 PM^ the loss of response when not in line of sight could be a very big issue. Being required to sit still the entire time and pointing controller directly to receiver is too strict.
Thats exactly why I got rid of mine.  Very nice, built really well...but I cant sit still like that.  I get too relaxed, or I shift, or something.  If playing an RPG, its fine...but any kind of action, shooter, platformer....that small mishap leads to untimely death.

kiketonto

Pokun

I'm using my Hori Fighting Commander PC the most, for 2-button or 6-button games alike. I prefer cross-shaped d-pads of Hori controllers, although the original controllers have pretty good d-pads too.

Next I'm thinking of getting a 3 button controller, but I'm not sure which is best.

Vimtoman

Just bought a faulty Duo which comes with a couple of Hudson Battle pads.
Are they any good?

jelloslug

Avenue 3 pad with a turbo cord on it.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG