PCEFX Re-education

Started by PukeSter, 12/06/2015, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PukeSter

IMG

Everyone has their opinions, but the post on the bottom is straight up wrong :-k

Sorry EmperorIng. But when you play stuff like Valis and Auleria and ignore most of the HuCard library, of course you'll believe such things.

SignOfZeta

That's weird, but IMO all versions of Ninja Gaiden are fucking garbage compared to the arcade. I only feel this way because that's what I spent my time playing. To me FC conversions of games like this, Strider, or Rygar were just weird bastard POS with teeny weeny low colored sprites and the addition of shops...last refuge of a doomed port. The Lynx ver of NG destroyed all other ports, IMO.

But most people actually played the shitty NES versions first and because of their experience I've come to see that, as fucked and cheap and weird as a NES port of Strider is, these sorts of ports are often actually pretty good in their own right, they are just completely different games and have to be understood as such to be appreciated.

I've never played the PCE Ninja Gaiden. I always assumed it would be shitty like the FC version. So what is the concensous here?
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/06/2015, 01:04 PMThat's weird, but IMO all versions of Ninja Gaiden are fucking garbage compared to the arcade. I only feel this way because that's what I spent my time playing.
:lol: :lol:

Zeta, you're not much better lol.

Consensus is that the PCE version is worse, and that not many people even on this forum like it that much.

Reasons are

-lower difficulty
-choppy scrolling like Ys III, though that's only in half the levels
-music is almost completely different (still good though, by one of the Soldier Blade composers)
-backgrounds are changed, like the golden pyramid looks more like a construction site

Sadler

Bernie

I enjoyed the PCE version...although the scrolling gets on my nerves sometimes.

CrackTiger

The "FC" version is full of flaws, but everyone likes it for exactly what it is, like most "classics". The problem is that many people blinded by nostalgia, fanboysism or youtube education, reverse engineer every aspect of these classic as though they are perfect games and being different means being bad. I don't like the PCE version of Ninja Gaiden, but not because it's trash and the original is genius.

That second post in OP's pic is the kind of idiot that they're trying to make others out to be.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Raizen1984

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/06/2015, 01:04 PMThat's weird, but IMO all versions of Ninja Gaiden are fucking garbage compared to the arcade. I only feel this way because that's what I spent my time playing. To me FC conversions of games like this, Strider, or Rygar were just weird bastard POS with teeny weeny low colored sprites and the addition of shops...last refuge of a doomed port. The Lynx ver of NG destroyed all other ports, IMO.

But most people actually played the shitty NES versions first and because of their experience I've come to see that, as fucked and cheap and weird as a NES port of Strider is, these sorts of ports are often actually pretty good in their own right, they are just completely different games and have to be understood as such to be appreciated.

I've never played the PCE Ninja Gaiden. I always assumed it would be shitty like the FC version. So what is the concensous here?
I think I asked you this before and you ignored me.  I want an explanation as to why NES Ninja Gaiden is "garbage", and the arcade version is so great.  Because it's easily the other way around for me.

Is it just because it's "not" the arcade game?  Because it wasn't intended to be.

EmperorIng

lol

Quote from: PukeSter on 12/06/2015, 11:01 AMBut when you play stuff like Auleria
swing and a miss on that one. There's someone out there that will really dig the game, but it's not me.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Raizen1984 on 12/06/2015, 10:25 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/06/2015, 01:04 PMThat's weird, but IMO all versions of Ninja Gaiden are fucking garbage compared to the arcade. I only feel this way because that's what I spent my time playing. To me FC conversions of games like this, Strider, or Rygar were just weird bastard POS with teeny weeny low colored sprites and the addition of shops...last refuge of a doomed port. The Lynx ver of NG destroyed all other ports, IMO.

I think I asked you this before and you ignored me.  I want an explanation as to why NES Ninja Gaiden is "garbage", and the arcade version is so great.  Because it's easily the other way around for me.

Is it just because it's "not" the arcade game?  Because it wasn't intended to be.
As I explained in that post, it was my perspective, but I eventually came to understand fucked up low color flicker fest FC ports as often being really good at their own thing, even if they border on false advertising.

The arcade version barely even resembles the FC version except for that they are both side view and have ninja in them. For a kid who wanted to play Ninja Gaiden at home, this thing was a pathetic disappointment. The controls are completely different and the graphics are total shit by comparison. This is also the case with Rygar, Strider, those Turtles games, Double Dragon, Renegade, Rampage, Ikari Warriors, etc etc. NES ports suck. What else is new? Why would someone mentioning this be controversial in any way? The only good ones are the early stuff like Donkey Kong 3, those were rather good.
IMG

PCEngineHell

I like the original for what it is. For a Nes game from its time period, its one of the best games released in 89. That year in general was pretty magical for the Nes. Ninja Gaiden, Marble Madness, Duck Tales, Adventure Island, Cobra Triangle, Thundercade, Fester's Quest, Air Fortress, RoboCop Dragon Warrior, Rolling Thunder, Gyruss, Willow, Godzilla, Mega Man 2, Wizards and Warriors II, Nobunaga's Ambition, Shadowgate, Track and Field 2, Strider, and many more. Many fond memories for sure...

The PCE port was ok. They did some things wrong with it, but nothing that completely broke the game. I'd be willing to buy it again at a cheaper price, but the current going rate for it is not worth it anymore for me. Given the choice of playing the preferred, and superior version for under 20 bucks, or playing the inferior version for $50+, I'm going to go with the Nes/Famicom one.

Arcade wise, I used to own the jamma board of the game and played it a lot. I liked it, but I dont consider it to be the best Ninja Gaiden game. It's more or less a typical beat'em up with some "Gymkata" thrown in for good measure.

As an arcade game, its pretty cool. But when its put up against other late 80's ninja themed arcade games like Ninja Spirit, Ninja Warriors, Strider, Shadow Dancer, or Shinobi, it doesn't hold up well. That in some ways makes the Nes/FC version all that more special, since it is easily one of the best ninja themed video games ever released, especially on the older consoles. It had a solid story, solid action, cool bosses, good graphics (especially for a Nes game), excellent soundtrack, and it was tough enough to keep you coming back over the years instead of just blowing through it.

I mean like literally, any time I have had a Nes, I have had to have a copy of Ninja Gaiden. I cant imagine owning a Nes or FC without it or Ninja Gaiden 2. Its just as important to me as Metroid, Punch Out, Double Dragon, or Contra.

blueraven

I played the Nintendo version a lot when I was younger, so when I got my PCE Duo in 2005 one of the first Hu-Cards that I got was Ninja Gaiden. I never played the arcade version because there wasn't an arcade in the area that had the board when I was younger.

I guess comparatively the colors are brighter, which I like, but I don't remember the soundtrack well enough from the NES game to really have an opinion. The sword definitely lags more, and I'm sure they've done side-by-sides in the screen comparison thread so we can see the difference. The secondary weapons are weaker than in the NES version, as they have a narrower target area, or disintegrate after the 1st enemy.

...So I guess its as shitty PCE port as Ninja Warriors, which I also love playing, and have had for just as long.

One advantage: It's pretty badass busting out the HU card when your friends want to play "Nintendo".

NecroPhile

Who's EmporerIng and why should I give a fuck about his opinions regarding Ninja Gaiden, the PCE, or this forum and its members?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bartre

on the subject of NES strider - that game is bomb.
just gets a bad rap because people are expecting the Genny/arcade title.

like zeta said, it has to be appreciated on its own, otherwise it's all fucked.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/07/2015, 11:07 AMWho's EmporerIng and why should I give a fuck about his opinions regarding Ninja Gaiden, the PCE, or this forum and its members?
Can we have a general "someone said something stupid on another forum/youtube channel and it bothered me so much that I had to burden everyone else here with it, too" thread?

Psycho Punch

Yeah many FC games carry only the title in similarity, but considering the platform they're in and their own merits, they're usually pretty good. I always thought Ninja Gaiden arcade was pretty meh, an arcade accurate port in this case would be less fun IMO.

At the end this stuff is pretty much subjective, I don't consider it a classic not because the game is shit but because I haven't played it enough to have that strong of an opinion about it. And I suspect most people are just parroting dumb youtube retrogamer videos so that's why it is held up as a "classic".
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp