The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

It has happened...

Started by Bernie, 12/06/2015, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

780racer

Figures he drives a SI too.

#CarGuysKnow

Bleh.

johnnykonami

I mean, preferably these would all land in the hands of those who would appreciate them, and share them with others who would likewise enjoy them for the experience of playing the games.  But it's probably inevitable that a few will find their way into the free market.  After all, it's not as if Tobias hasn't also sold copies exactly like the ones distributed here, right?  What I would hate to see is these bootlegs climb in value and in turn make the originals skyrocket even further out of reach.  Really, it would be the knowledge that people were assigning so much worth to non-original games that would really bother me.  That recent auction of the Tobias Drac X went for $700 dollars is an example.. some poor schmuck thought he found his holy grail when we had people getting the English and Japanese bootlegs for $5 apiece here thanks to Bernie and co.

Ebay needs tags like Steam has.  #bootleg #copy #low-value... etc.  Maybe that would help inform the public on what they're bidding on.   I'm thinking a lot of newcomers might not be able to distinguish the real thing.  I like that the PCE Works discs are clearly marked (except for Sapphire, sadly) but they shouldn't retain any value whatsoever beyond the purpose of letting people play the games that were too expensive to acquire in the first place!  If they get just as valuable one day the purpose of having created them in the first place is totally defeated.

For most of us, this allows us to play Beyond Shadowgate or Dungeon Explorer 2 or take your pick without shelling out $200 bucks to do so.  If the above happens, future peeps will be shelling out $200 bucks just for the cheap bootie.  That just blows.

synbiosfan

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/11/2015, 03:40 PMI mean, preferably these would all land in the hands of those who would appreciate them, and share them with others who would likewise enjoy them for the experience of playing the games.  But it's probably inevitable that a few will find their way into the free market.  After all, it's not as if Tobias hasn't also sold copies exactly like the ones distributed here, right?  What I would hate to see is these bootlegs climb in value and in turn make the originals skyrocket even further out of reach.  Really, it would be the knowledge that people were assigning so much worth to non-original games that would really bother me.  That recent auction of the Tobias Drac X went for $700 dollars is an example.. some poor schmuck thought he found his holy grail when we had people getting the English and Japanese bootlegs for $5 apiece here thanks to Bernie and co.

Ebay needs tags like Steam has.  #bootleg #copy #low-value... etc.  Maybe that would help inform the public on what they're bidding on.   I'm thinking a lot of newcomers might not be able to distinguish the real thing.  I like that the PCE Works discs are clearly marked (except for Sapphire, sadly) but they shouldn't retain any value whatsoever beyond the purpose of letting people play the games that were too expensive to acquire in the first place!  If they get just as valuable one day the purpose of having created them in the first place is totally defeated.

For most of us, this allows us to play Beyond Shadowgate or Dungeon Explorer 2 or take your pick without shelling out $200 bucks to do so.  If the above happens, future peeps will be shelling out $200 bucks just for the cheap bootie.  That just blows.
If you're spending hundreds of dollars without doing any research, bad things will happen.

Tagging things might help but ignorance is a mighty foe.

mickcris

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/11/2015, 03:40 PMThat recent auction of the Tobias Drac X went for $700 dollars is an example.. some poor schmuck thought he found his holy grail when we had people getting the English and Japanese bootlegs for $5 apiece here thanks to Bernie and co.

Ebay needs tags like Steam has.  #bootleg #copy #low-value... etc.  Maybe that would help inform the public on what they're bidding on.
Damn, that auction didn't even include the energy drink.  Probably would have went for over $1k if it did! :)

I dont think you are allowed to be selling bootlegs and such on ebay, but they dont really seem to enforce it consistently.

sirhcman

You guys.. some dude on this site admitted to shill bidding that PCE Works Rondo up to the $700 price and didn't pay

Quote from: neopolss on 10/05/2015, 10:55 PMOh, and the rondo x was bid up by yours truly.  And whos gonna pay for it? NOT THIS GUY! 

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2015, 06:07 PMYou guys.. some dude on this site admitted to shill bidding that PCE Works Rondo up to the $700 price and didn't pay

Quote from: neopolss on 10/05/2015, 10:55 PMOh, and the rondo x was bid up by yours truly.  And whos gonna pay for it? NOT THIS GUY! 
Hey Siracha, glad to see you back!

Punch and Sirhc, finally, some rationality in this thread.

Bernie

I dont see why some of you are sympathizing with that dickhead. 

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2015, 06:08 PMHey Siracha, glad to see you back!
I never left!

Quote from: Bernie on 12/11/2015, 06:39 PMI dont see why some of you are sympathizing with that dickhead. 
I agree Bernie the guy didn't even wait awhile to flip them, at least you can weed him out for any future offerings!

Sparky

Quote from: Bernie on 12/11/2015, 06:39 PMI dont see why some of you are sympathizing with that dickhead. 

Ya Bernie, some should just stay over there.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2015, 06:07 PMYou guys.. some dude on this site admitted to shill bidding that PCE Works Rondo up to the $700 price and didn't pay

The problem with this is ebay will still have it marked as a "sold" auction in the search, regardless of if anyone actually paid or not. So due to that, the perception that the thing is fetching some high dollar amount will still exist to any random joe who does not know better when they do the searches. To the random joe this is still going to be some kind of valid proof in their eyes that it goes for a lot, making them think it may be worth the high amount the next one gets listed for. The only ones who will know better will be some forum members.

The best way to combat the ebay auctions is to not bid at all. The more they sit there with no bids or go for minimal amounts, the better off everyone will be. Any other type of market manipulation will simply cause more harm then good. More sellers will check to see "sold" listings, and list their stuff at matching high prices, and eventually people who don't know any better will bite and spend said dollars because they think that's how it should be priced.

johnnykonami

Ah, I missed that post I guess.  I'm glad to hear someone didn't buy it for that much, actually!

Koop

I said it in the FB group and I'll say it here- fuck this guy. He's the type of shit that ruins things for everyone.

in99flames

Agreed Koop!

My 2 copies are happily sitting on my shelf. If i ever were to get rid of the system(which i never see happening) i think it would be fair to raffle it off here in the forums where it started.
 I was just so happy to be able to plau these games and not have to take out a second mortgage to do so....them some fucktard strolls in and pulls this shit...BAN THEM. i think Bernie was quite clear in his post about this. There is no excuse for that seller.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Samuray

Oh wow.  :cry:

Just read through all of this after learning about this incident in the Turbob thread, and I'm pretty floored. Yeah, it was bound to happen, I suppose, but it still sucks.

Especially from my perspective. I'm really, really grateful I was able to get to games, "Dungeon Explorer II' and "Beyond Shadowgate", in spite of my low post count. I appreciate that very much and am totally happy with the games, but I'm also worried that "people" like that could ruin it for everybody in the long run.

Well, hopefully not. This was/ is a great thing for sure, and shows some real community spirit.

T2KFreeker

So, someone intentionally bid the Dracula X bootleg up to $700.00 with no intention of buying it, thinking this would help? Wow, what a stupid idea. Now the gamer is being seen as being worth $700.00 to the evilbay resellers and the collectards. Thanks for making the game that much more inaccessible for real fans. Here comes the flood. It's crap like this that helps to make things get so stupidly priced. Need an example? Check the Atari jaguar auctions. It's proof that artificial price inflation exists.
END OF LINE.

SignOfZeta

I don't think anyone needs proof of that.
IMG

T2KFreeker

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/04/2016, 03:09 PMI don't think anyone needs proof of that.
I know, but was just saying so...LOL
END OF LINE.

Jason_dicarlo85

Jason_dicarlo85

I guess it has fucking happened yet again ...

MotherGunner

Quote from: Jason_dicarlo85 on 01/19/2016, 04:53 PMhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/321981729765?_mwBanner=1

What the FUCK
Ha, at least we know what the top of his head looks like.  With that ugly hairline, you can track him down via FB or here right?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Jason_dicarlo85

Don't remove that warranty sticker!!

seieienbu

I'm way more interested in the warranty sticker than anything else about this auction.  Seriously, that shit makes no sense...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

johnnykonami

Reported it as a bootleg, least I can do!  These people can't be allowed to sell bootlegs for this kind of money.

NecroPhile

Dafuq is up with that sticker?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Jason_dicarlo85

Its because it's the limited edition reproduction

BigusSchmuck

You can almost make out the guy's face on picture # 3. Pretty dumb.

Bernie

Im honestly too tired to even give a shit anymore.  If some dumbass buys it, thats on them.  Ive got an entire fucking stack of those.  I may be doing things different next time.  If I dont know you, or ya just joined to get them with no participation, I will ignore your PMs.

synbiosfan

Quote from: Bernie on 01/19/2016, 07:13 PMIm honestly too tired to even give a shit anymore.  If some dumbass buys it, thats on them.  Ive got an entire fucking stack of those.  I may be doing things different next time.  If I dont know you, or ya just joined to get them with no participation, I will ignore your PMs.

I think that's fair. There are more than enough threads to find something to comment on.

Thanks again for taking the time to make these available, Bernie.

Mathius

I know you're irritated, Bernie, and I agree with you but let's give new members the opportunity to prove themselves. It would be work but we could place a disc in reserve when a new member requests one and set a time limit to give them a chance to mingle and contribute. When that limit has been reached the member would send a PM to receive an eval (posts made, attitude). Just a thought. Might be too much to handle.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 01/19/2016, 09:53 PMI know you're irritated, Bernie, and I agree with you but let's give new members the opportunity to prove themselves. It would be work but we could place a disc in reserve when a new member requests one and set a time limit to give them a chance to mingle and contribute. When that limit has been reached the member would send a PM to receive an eval (posts made, attitude). Just a thought. Might be too much to handle.
You're too nice.

I'm harsher: new folks have to put in a year here (probationary period). New folks have to be involved in real conversations/projects/etc.

They can wait.

They will earn it. :)

Also: being a member has real perks.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Jason_dicarlo85

Quote from: esteban on 01/20/2016, 08:14 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 01/19/2016, 09:53 PMI know you're irritated, Bernie, and I agree with you but let's give new members the opportunity to prove themselves. It would be work but we could place a disc in reserve when a new member requests one and set a time limit to give them a chance to mingle and contribute. When that limit has been reached the member would send a PM to receive an eval (posts made, attitude). Just a thought. Might be too much to handle.
You're too nice.

I'm harsher: new folks have to put in a year here (probationary period). New folks have to be involved in real conversations/projects/etc.

They can wait.

They will earn it. :)

Also: being a member has real perks.
I guess I cant argue with you there even when I fall into that category... Not when that eBay shit is going on... On the Facebook group people were messaging him and his reply was... I bought this from pce works website because the case and manual was cool and I wanted it for my own legit copy and I was just selling the disc I got...

geise

Quote from: Bernie on 01/19/2016, 07:13 PMIm honestly too tired to even give a shit anymore.  If some dumbass buys it, thats on them.  Ive got an entire fucking stack of those.  I may be doing things different next time.  If I dont know you, or ya just joined to get them with no participation, I will ignore your PMs.
Sounds like a good way to go at this point.  This is what happens when we play nice.  Now everyone will go back to normal and call us all elitist.  Fuck em'.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: johnnykonami on 01/19/2016, 05:16 PMReported it as a bootleg, least I can do!  These people can't be allowed to sell bootlegs for this kind of money.
Looks like that actually worked.

deubeul

Quote from: Jason_dicarlo85 on 01/21/2016, 12:05 PMOn the Facebook group people were messaging him and his reply was... I bought this from pce works website because the case and manual was cool and I wanted it for my own legit copy and I was just selling the disc I got...
Even from a collectard point of view, that's totally stupid.

ActionJackson

I joined this month.  I had no idea these discs were here.  I only stumbled across the forum because I was googling for a place to buy a Duo.  Yeah I am one of those guys who decided to save up some cash for a pce after seeing YouTube videos.  I grew up seeing the Turno in stores but my dad was into Nintendo and that's all we had in that generation.   Really sucks people are taking advantage of this community but I assure you not all new members are pieces of shit and out to leech and gouge. 

Honestly the best thing you could do to remedy this situation is sell them for a penny on eBay and totally devalue them on that marketplace.  If another auction pops up then post the same discs for a dollar and you have effectively neutralized the bastard.

Mathius

Quote from: ActionJackson on 01/22/2016, 11:01 PMI joined this month.  I had no idea these discs were here.  I only stumbled across the forum because I was googling for a place to buy a Duo.  Yeah I am one of those guys who decided to save up some cash for a pce after seeing YouTube videos.  I grew up seeing the Turno in stores but my dad was into Nintendo and that's all we had in that generation.   Really sucks people are taking advantage of this community but I assure you not all new members are pieces of shit and out to leech and gouge. 

Honestly the best thing you could do to remedy this situation is sell them for a penny on eBay and totally devalue them on that marketplace.  If another auction pops up then post the same discs for a dollar and you have effectively neutralized the bastard.
Until a reseller buys them all up to flip. Seems there's always a flipside to a good idea regarding retro game poachers.

ActionJackson

Well the goal is just to poison the well.  You could set up a couple of auctions every day for a week and have different members of the forums use buyitnow as soon as it goes live.  Mix it up on seller and buyer accounts and make a stack of completed auctions indicating that the discs are worthless.  The discs don't even need to exchange hands.  It's a deterrent more than a solution but would definitely discourage people from thinking they are gonna make a quick buck.

Jason_dicarlo85

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-Super-CD-Godzilla-PCE-Works-Version-complete-w-poster-duo-/131703769698?nav=SEARCH

:x is this what Tobias package deal looks like??
(EDIT... THIS WAS PURCHASED FROM PCE WORKS IN 2014 .. Didn't come from here)

ClodBusted

Reported as bootleg for the fun of reporting.

blueraven

Yes, but that's the PCE Works version that you could buy from Tobias, I think. Right?

Kind of pre-Turbob Express.

Anyway Bernie, I hear you on the frustration and not caring anymore, but don't let that detract from the fact that you provided a really amazing service and opportunity for a lot of people who would have normally not had the chance to play these games.

I can see why you feel kind of burned out after that whole ordeal, so thanks again, man! :mrgreen: *fistbump*

IvanBeavkov

Bernie, don't let the fools get you down. I am very appreciative of all the work you have put into this. At least for me most of these games I would never have bought the official version of due to their cost. Also considering how many of these you sold remarkably few have come up for resale.

So in my opinion try to focus on the good, the people that appreciate what you have done. There will always be small number of people who will take advantage of a situation. Putting up really complex barriers is just more effort for you and inconveniences the good people, just like copy protection.

I would recommend to just write off the few jerks as a "Cost of doing business" and remember the good far, far outweighs the bad.

780racer

I also would like to thank you as much as I can for helping me get these great repros to play on my duo at home. I would never have been able to have had these awesome pressed discs if you and everyone else who helped had not done so. I am extremely grateful and disappointed to hear someone is trying to make money off of the good nature from yourself and this community.

I hope that if there is ever a time I could help out with anything here, that I would get the privilege to help.

Thanks Bernie!