List of PCE/TG game differences?

Started by jasonbar, 12/07/2015, 03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonbar

Is there a resource detailing how (if at all) the Japanese versions of US titles differ?
Thanks,
Jason

CrackTiger

There is at least one thread somewhere.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

MNKyDeth

I know one diff right off that bat. US games are generally in English. JP games are generally in Japanese.

Ok, aside from that. I know we have a toned down version of Splatterhouse here in the US compared to the JP version but I don't know the full details. :D

jasonbar

I ask because I was going through some ROMs on my Turbo EverDrive this weekend, & the handful that I sampled in the beginning of the alphabet appeared to have identical US & JP versions, including the language. These games weren't very text-heavy, but the supposed JP ROMs had English menus.

Thanks,
-Jason

SignOfZeta

That's the way video games are.
IMG

CrackTiger

Many seemingly identical games have different enemy placement, stage order, cut it added content, etc.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Pokun

You could do a byte by byte comparison of the ROM images to see if they are truly identical or not. I guess the US version will have the region protection code unlike the JP version though.

wilykat

Region protection aside, some games may only differs at title screen (Japanese vs English) such as Blazing Lazer.