RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Sticky a thread for translations?

Started by MNKyDeth, 12/27/2015, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNKyDeth

I have been enjoying my NEC hardware so much lately that it finally popped into my head that I constantly am digging and searching for any translations that are available on this console.

Is there any way we could get a master list of all translated games and links to the respective web pages stickied for something like this?

I was thinking a format like:

Game - Y's IV: The Dawn Of Y's
Website - https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/ys4/
Translators - Nightwolve + list all names of all people involved to show credit where credit is due. The hackers, the translators, any artwork people and voice actors etc.
Donation links - To support those and encourage them to maybe do more later on.

I just think it would save someone like me a lot of time. It would also allow me to notice more of the people behind the scenes. It would also allow someone like me easy access to the patches and contribution links.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

Also, I posted in this forum as this seems to be the section I go to most often to look for said translations or random google searches.

NecroPhile

Sounds good to me.  If you want the job, change the thread title to something like "master list of translation patches" (something like Paul's homebrew masterlist thread) and I'll sticky it for ya.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

dshadoff

You may want to start with all the translations listed at www.romhacking.net ; that's probably 80-90% of what exists.

-Dave

Bernie

Quote from: dshadoff on 12/28/2015, 02:47 PMYou may want to start with all the translations listed at www.romhacking.net ; that's probably 80-90% of what exists.

-Dave
Yep.  I was thinking the same thing.  Has all credits listed as well so its easy to reference.

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2015, 10:30 AMSounds good to me.  If you want the job, change the thread title to something like "master list of translation patches" (something like Paul's homebrew masterlist thread) and I'll sticky it for ya.
I don't have much time during the week. But during the weekends when I have more I will try to get something together.

MNKyDeth

Ok, so I been working on getting a list together but before I get to far into it. I want to make sure everyone likes the layout for each game. Especially those that are doing the work.

Here are the options, and if you don't like any of them please let me know so I can get this as clean and organized as possible.

Example one - Individual listing of people in the respective role.

Game : Marchen Maze
Translators : Shubibiman (English), Pinky (French)
Programmer : MooZ
Script Editing/Revision : Dave Shadoff
Released by : MooZ, Shubibiman
Donation Link : Unknown

Example Two - Everyone grouped together

Game : Necromancer
People Involved : Eien Ni Hen, Psyklax, Pikachumanson, MrRichard999
Released By : Pikachumanson
Unfinished : Active, Abandoned or Inactive <- Would specify if applicable or ? if unknown
Donation Link : Unknown

There sometimes are websites like for Nightwolve and Y's 4 and sometimes there are no website available except to the romhacking site. If there is an official site would the preference be to the official site or to the romhacking site?
I think a lot of this comes down to preference so I would like some input before I do a ton of work and people would have preferred the info in a different manner.

Vimtoman

esteban

I think I prefer the first format...you might want to include a generic "notes" for any info that doesn't fit into existing categories. For example, some translations have translated manuals available...or an abbreviated "guide" with essential info.

It seems lots of folks like to print revised manuals/boxes/inserts/labels for translations...maybe that should be noted too, making disclaimers about whether it (print media) was part of the original translation project or created after-the-fact.

It would be nice to have "one place" (one entry) that collects all of this info...but without becoming ridiculously messy and complicated.

I'd be happy to take this thread and create an html version (once all the work has been completed, of course).

Obviously, we need to hear from more people.

WHAT IS THE MOST USEFUL/INTERESTING info to include?

Use case #1: I am a PCE newb, but a fan of Ys. I just want to play Ys.

Use case #2: I am a total newb in regard to the translation "scene".

Use case #3: I am a total newb in regard to game X.

Use case #4: I want to create a physical version of translation.

Should we simply mirror romhacking.orgcomnet? Or do something a bit more ambitious?

There is nothing wrong with keeping it basic, now, and then soliciting for extra info to add, later.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

I don't mind some custom plugging PCEFX style for fan translation projects, but yeah, gonna be tough to motivate yourself/justify doing it when romhacking.net can just be filtered for PCE games to already provide said list.

TurboXray

Necromancer won't get released until they get a capable hacker. They were stuck and I went a head and took a look at the compression scheme for them and discovered it was huffman based. They never did anything with that info, though.

NecroPhile

I prefer example one, and I suggest separating games into three categories: complete/released translations, works in progress, and abandoned projects.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Trenton_net

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2016, 01:20 PMI prefer example one, and I suggest separating games into three categories: complete/released translations, works in progress, and abandoned projects.
I agree. Nothing more annoying than having a project listed with no idea about it's completeness. No point in trying something if only the main menu is translated. (^_^);