Can Pcenginefx beat all licensed TurboGrafx-16 games in 2016/2017? (115/135)

Started by Bardoly, 12/31/2015, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2016, 09:44 AMNot a great run, but good enough:

IMG
I'm updating the first posts at the moment, but I'm not sure which game this screenshot is for.   :-k :-k :-k

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

Took down Dungeon Explorer 2 this morning. Started playing Sunday and finished it today. Same thing, I have a video of it.

http://www.twitch.tv/mnkydeth/v/36228252
or
Hopefully these count. :)

Oh... BTW, ratfunk, I know you are out there and most likely who you are. Thanks for watching on twitch.tv while I played DE2 today. It was a blast and hope you visit again.

NecroPhile

tpoeckh

blueraven

Crap. I just beat the Addams Family a few weeks ago.....

I will re-play the game and bet it AGAIN for this thread.

caw

ginoscope

Just beat Valis II for the first time.  One of those games I always wanted to play but never got around to it.

[IMGIMGIMG
ValisII-Clear-20160123-115240.webp
https://postimg.cc/image/9v9tsokw9/

roflmao

I'm at the final boss in Dragon Slayer so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post a pic of the ending. :D

csgx1

Aero Blasters.  Used the yellow ship and 4 continues, so 4cc.  :)

IMG

roflmao

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

MattJ

Went through Neutopia last week when I was stuck in the house due to the snow storm. I use a modded PCE Duo-R with a Scart to RGB adapter.
IMG

The RGB adapter has started to act up though. I first thought it was the laser, since I noticed the screen acting up whenever there was a non-action, cinema, moment while playing Ys I&II. Now I've noticed it on HuCards though. It doesn't happen when I use the original composite cable. You can see it here how it warps the text page in the funny "Take me now" screen:
IMG

I should have some free time this weekend. I'll try to go through Bomberman if no one else is working on it.
- Matt J.

seieienbu

MattJ

Sorry Seieienbu!
Neutopia II is apparently still available. Take a jab at it if you have it!  :)
I would love to play the game someday, but it is currently not in my collection.

- Matt J

ginoscope

Haa haa same here I was on Dungeon 5 of Neutopia but was side tracked playing other stuff.

csgx1

seieienbu

I had just finished dungeon 3 the night I read you'd finished it.  I'd intended to try to get through it this weekend; I guess I'll get started on Neutopia 2 now.  We'll see if I get beaten to the punch.

csgx1

NecroPhile

MattJ

NecroPhile,
Congrats on beating the game!
How difficult would you say Magical Chase is compared to many of the other popular shooters on the TurboGrafx? For a game that garners so much attention due to its rarity and value, I know little about its play mechanics. I know Chris gave it a high score on Turbo Views, so with a copy up for auction now (currently sitting at $2,454 with a little over a day to go), I'm curious to hear other opinions about the game.
If it were a more common shooter, like Blazing Lasers, R-Type, Galaga, Super Star Soldier, or Gate of Thunder, do you think it would be considered one of the better shooters on the system?

- Matt J.

ginoscope

Quote from: MattJ on 02/08/2016, 10:57 AMNecroPhile,
Congrats on beating the game!
How difficult would you say Magical Chase is compared to many of the other popular shooters on the TurboGrafx? For a game that garners so much attention due to its rarity and value, I know little about its play mechanics. I know Chris gave it a high score on Turbo Views, so with a copy up for auction now (currently sitting at $2,454 with a little over a day to go), I'm curious to hear other opinions about the game.
If it were a more common shooter, like Blazing Lasers, R-Type, Galaga, Super Star Soldier, or Gate of Thunder, do you think it would be considered one of the better shooters on the system?

- Matt J.
Matt,

Why not get a turbo everdrive and play the game yourself?  It is definitely not the best shooter on the system but it is a pretty decent game.

MattJ

I've thought about getting an Everdrive. I love getting the original games, but I'm not a purist and if I ever pick up another NES, SNES, or Genesis will probably use Everdrives with them. I can see myself getting one for my PCE in the next year to play MC. That's a game that, financially, I know is just always going to be out of my reach. I would get one now, but my gaming time is severely restricted by my useless assignments I have to do for graduate school.   ](*,)

NecroPhile

Overall I'd say it's an above average shewty but not the best around.  It looks great, sounds good, is cute as all get out, and offers a nice variety of weapons and enemies, but it feels kinda sloppy with a too big hit box, slow speed (even on 'feather' broom), and clunky star maiden controls.

johnnykonami

I always get a little sad when a good game gets this super rare status.  Thank goodness for the TED and emulation.  At least people can play it still!  It's not so bad when it's a kind of crappy game (i.e. Action 52) so you don't feel too much of an urge to own it.  As for the game itself, it's probably not in my top 10 shooter list, but it is definitely a really nice looking, colorful game.  The graphics are definitely one of it's strong points, and it's certainly worth a little bit of your time, just not $2000 of your money.

MattJ

Quote from: johnnykonami on 02/08/2016, 01:58 PMI always get a little sad when a good game gets this super rare status.
This too saddens me, and probably saddens most of us here, johnnykonami. I hate thinking back on some of the fun games I remember renting and playing as a kid: Panic Restaurant comes to men, and seeing how expensive they have become due to a mix of rarity and demand. That's just the way the market goes, I suppose, but it is one of the reasons I quite collecting for (and sold off) my Nintendo collection.

Please excuse me, for I am new to the forum and guessing that Magical Chase and game prices have probably been discussed here to death, but I am at least glad that the 'Holy Grail' of NTSC TurboGrafx games is, at the very least, considered a quality game.
Compare that to Stadium Events - it's super rare, goes for an outlandish amount of money, and, as anyone who's played World Class Track Meet can tell you, is not a great game.

johnnykonami

Quote from: MattJ on 02/08/2016, 03:14 PMThis too saddens me, and probably saddens most of us here, johnnykonami. I hate thinking back on some of the fun games I remember renting and playing as a kid: Panic Restaurant comes to men, and seeing how expensive they have become due to a mix of rarity and demand. That's just the way the market goes, I suppose, but it is one of the reasons I quite collecting for (and sold off) my Nintendo collection.

Please excuse me, for I am new to the forum and guessing that Magical Chase and game prices have probably been discussed here to death, but I am at least glad that the 'Holy Grail' of NTSC TurboGrafx games is, at the very least, considered a quality game.
Compare that to Stadium Events - it's super rare, goes for an outlandish amount of money, and, as anyone who's played World Class Track Meet can tell you, is not a great game.
I have a collection of maybe like 10 handpicked NES games, just stuff I loved.  The Guardian Legend, Super Spy Hunter, Goonies II, a few others.  I could probably buy about 30 more games and be totally happy with my NES library.  Lots of great games, but lately I've been more interested in highly curated libraries rather than complete ones.  Takes up less space and it's just what I want to play anyhow!  I only discovered Panic Restaurant through emulation, but it is a really cool game.  Another victim of collectardism, I guess.  I think I played World Class Track Meet once as a kid, I knew someone who had the powerpad... no way I would pay a bunch of money for that one.  In general, I'm not a huge fan of these types of games.  I know my alias here is johnnykonami, but Track n' field is one of my least favorite Konami games.  I did have some fun with Mach Breakers though.  And I guess Summer Games on the C64.

toaks

esteban

Quote from: toaks on 02/08/2016, 05:52 PMDarn I was on the last dungeon of Neutopia! Oh well.
YOU MUST DEFEAT NATAS.

Oh, wait.

Wrong game. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

blueraven

#-o

Got through the Addams Family last night, and the power went out.

:evil:

Attempt #3 tonight or tomorrow.

MattJ

You can knock it up to 50 now! I finally finished through Bomberman this evening. (The version on the Gate of Thunder SuperCD)

The pictures are not the best, my aging camera is not very good at taking screen shots.
- Matt J.

IMG
IMG
IMG

MattJ

Quote from: blueraven on 02/09/2016, 02:25 PM#-o

Got through the Addams Family last night, and the power went out.

:evil:

Attempt #3 tonight or tomorrow.
I've been playing that game some recently. As a platformer, I really want to like it.... but the aggravating deaths and losing your power ups once you die make it a very irritating game.  :x

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

MattJ

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 02/12/2016, 07:12 PMThree day weekend: Imma try to beat Cratermaze.
Snow/ice is in the forecast here for Monday. So I may get a three day weekend too. (My library's not supposed to be closed for President's Day) I'm going to try to get through a game (if the power doesn't go out).

Enjoy your extra day and good luck with Cratermaze!

780racer

csgx1

780racer

Ok. who the hell made Raiden for the TG16. It has waaay more enemies than the actual game on the arcade does by double, and my arcade has the difficult on hard instead of Normal (Default).

Why TG port gotta be so rude.....

grolt

I'm a notorious strange man.

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

NecroPhile

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NYGiantFan

Guys I'm a newbie and just got my Turbo a few weeks ago.  Beat Splatterhouse the other night and noticed no one has claimed Victory Run.  I hope to knock it out this weekend.

esteban

Quote from: NYGiantFan on 02/19/2016, 08:19 AMGuys I'm a newbie and just got my Turbo a few weeks ago.  Beat Splatterhouse the other night and noticed no one has claimed Victory Run.  I hope to knock it out this weekend.
It is a challenging game :)

You need a strategy for the entire race (parts) based on your driving preferences.

And...sometimes the terrain is hard to see at night (obstacles in road), so I play in a darkened room.

NecroPhile

Quote from: TR0N on 02/19/2016, 03:08 AMThat take allot of trail and error for you to complete !?
Definitely.  The play time limit is an hour (I beat it in about 45 minutes), but meeting that meant replaying each level after learning the quickest way to the exit and restarting each level whenever I missed a jump, which happens all the time due to the crap controls.

NYGiantFan

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2016, 08:30 AM
Quote from: NYGiantFan on 02/19/2016, 08:19 AMGuys I'm a newbie and just got my Turbo a few weeks ago.  Beat Splatterhouse the other night and noticed no one has claimed Victory Run.  I hope to knock it out this weekend.
It is a challenging game :)

You need a strategy for the entire race (parts) based on your driving preferences.

And...sometimes the terrain is hard to see at night (obstacles in road), so I play in a darkened room.
Man your not kidding hate when night time sets in.  I've been getting my butt kicked already.  I've been playing with the different parts strategies.  Made it about half way through the map/checkpoints last night.

esteban

^ Basically, if you know you wear out certain parts a lot, especially on paved surfaces, just make sure you have am enough in stock.

It's one of those things that you figure out as you make it further and further into the game...

Also, it goes without saying that you should try to build up as much "buffer" time as possible, since it is cumulative and acing the earlier tracks will buy some forgiveness on the later tracks.

csgx1