10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The lifeline of a TurboGrafx gamer

Started by VestCunt, 01/23/2016, 11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

1989 Looks cool!
1990 I wish I had some friends.
1991 These accessories are freaking expensive.
1992 A cheap 16-bit console!
1993 Finally, good games
1994 Clearance!
1995 That's it?
1996 Playstation sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1997 N64 sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1998 Ebay!
1999 Friends on the internets! Thank you Netscape Navigator!
2000 Imports are expensive.
2001 ...girls... alcohol...
2002 A new Turbo game!
2003 PCEngineFX Forums!
2004 It is no longer possible to press TG-CD's :(
2005 Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboExpress? Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboDuo?
2006 When did I become a "retro gamer"?
2007 Advent of Buy It Now. Imports are cheap, domestics are expensive. I own Sapphire! He lied to us!
2008 RIP TZD. This shit is getting expensive. Surely, prices will top off.
2009 Insanity! Pressed CD's!
2010 Who are all of these fucking noobs?
2011 Who are all of these fucking Youtube idiots?
2012 Concede hopes of U.S. set.
2013 Forum trolling eclipses game time
2014 Rise of the repros
2015 Ceases to be gamer, retro gamer, and collector, just internet asshole.
2016 ?
Topic Adjourned.

HailingTheThings

You're adorable. I bet you look just like Cleopatra.

*sighs*
IMG

Psycho Punch

2016 I still wish I had some friends.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ccovell

2016 - Noobs: "I'm so retro, I've got a Turbografx!  It's an Android emulation box."

Bernie

Quote from: ccovell on 01/24/2016, 08:36 AM2016 - Noobs: "I'm so retro, I've got a Turbografx!  It's an Android emulation box."
HA!  THIS!!!!

Jason_dicarlo85

Lol this made me laugh... Although I am one of the people who didn't get a turbo till later in life... I had sega master system and the genesis...

Gentlegamer

1997: Discovers Magic Engine. Cool, I can play TurboGrafx-16 on my PC. Pirates activation key for full features.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

incrediblehark

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/23/2016, 11:39 PM2011 Who are all of these fucking Youtube idiots?
Pretty much nailed it for me.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 01/24/2016, 12:10 PM1997: Discovers Magic Engine. Cool, I can play TurboGrafx-16 on my PC. Pirates activation key for full features.
I bought Magic Engine twice.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ginoscope

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/24/2016, 02:26 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 01/24/2016, 12:10 PM1997: Discovers Magic Engine. Cool, I can play TurboGrafx-16 on my PC. Pirates activation key for full features.
Magic engine was amazing and my first successful burn on Dracula X then.  Then wii in 2006 brought turbo back.

Now full circle to 1990-1994 with real hardware and software.

spawnshop

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/23/2016, 11:39 PM2006 When did I become a "retro gamer"?
This is how I feel most of the time....  I play some of the new games, but there's nothing like the charm of the classics.

Sparky

Vest!!!!! great post glad to see you back on posting... Wait for it..... Hugs

esteban

BEST POST FROM VEST IN A DECADE.

:)

Not really...he had some scathing posts that were so funny I forgave him for being utterly MIA for years and years.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/24/2016, 02:26 PM
Ha! At first I simply used my brother's (legit) key.

But after a short period, I gladly sent a few rubles to France.

----------------------

Anyway...for me...if it wasn't for MagicEngine/emulators in 1998/1999, I would not have gotten back into video games, specifically TG-16, until... ????!??

I was going to grad school in CA and didn't have any consoles. Eventually, I would end up buying my "west coast hardware" even though I already had consoles in storage (parent's basement!) on east coast.

This is the point where my hardware collectard fetish really blossomed.

But MagicEngine was the catalyst.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Very accurate!  However, mine is a bit changed in the center-

2007 Advent of Buy It Now. Imports are cheap, domestics are expensive. I own Sapphire! He lied to us!
2008 Bills... Time to sell everything!
2009 Oh fuck.  This is boring without obey.
2010 At least I have them all emulated....
2011 Trades for a Turbografx at a gamer meetup!
2012  It all starts again!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GohanX

Man, talking about hitting the nail on the head...

NecroPhile

Heh, too funny.  My timeline is similar, though I was buying stuff from TZD shortly after they set up shop and like Punch I'm still looking for friends to play Bomberman, Bonk 3, Sapphire, etc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

wiseau

I'll post my timeline, no bully
1998: Bonk on the gameboy's pretty fun!
2009: Man, they made more of Bonk on this obscure console i've never heard of, i'm sold!
2010-2015: Trying out random shit in magic engine
2016: Alright time to bite the bullet i've got a console and a few chips and CDs, and i'll get an everdrive for the su- Wait, the CD unit is HOW much? Fuck that.
2017: Broke down and sold off my US turbo to buy a modded PC engine Duo r; most US games are surprisingly cheaper than i was led to believe, at least if you're willing to wait it out anyways.

seieienbu

Quote from: wiseau on 08/20/2017, 01:50 AM2017: Broke down and sold off my US turbo to buy a modded PC engine Duo r; most US games are surprisingly cheaper than i was led to believe, at least if you're willing to wait it out anyways.
How expensive were you told the games were?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

wiseau

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/21/2017, 02:11 AM
Quote from: wiseau on 08/20/2017, 01:50 AM2017: Broke down and sold off my US turbo to buy a modded PC engine Duo r; most US games are surprisingly cheaper than i was led to believe, at least if you're willing to wait it out anyways.
How expensive were you told the games were?
An recent example would be someone on a different forum saying a Vasteel with a map for, around 120 bucks was a good deal, then a day later another one shows up for ~90.

Or seeing Ys 1&2 and 3 actually sell for almost 200 bucks on a forum, when someone was selling the exact same thing for ~120 on ebay.

xcrement5x

Quote from: bob on 08/19/2017, 06:50 PM2017: where did VestCunt go?
I think I offended him permanently with my D&D ribbing. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

We need more VestCunt noob audits.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

VestCunt has stated in the past that he has learned all he needs to know about Turbo/PCE and owns everything he wants that he is willing to buy. He checks in now and then and will comment when something new comes up, but feels that most of the topics discussed have already been discussed to death in the past.

When Henshin Engine starts arriving in mailboxes, we'll likely hear from him next.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

I miss his posts. From what you said though BT I feel the same way. I am sure a lot of other old forum members and first time adopters of the turbo/pce are in the same mindset as well.

esteban

2004-2005 - I start realizing that prices are too high for me. Like, Sylphia was $60 or more... Hellfire... some other shootemups....

2017 - I realize that I should have purchased those games.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: geise on 08/26/2017, 03:15 PMI miss his posts. From what you said though BT I feel the same way. I am sure a lot of other old forum members and first time adopters of the turbo/pce are in the same mindset as well.
some of them have also grown tired of what things have become with the dumbassed facebook groups, flippant bullshit, and lame ass profiteering. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/23/2016, 11:39 PM2011 Who are all of these fucking Youtube idiots?
that was 2007 for me.  During the time I uploaded Lunar Silver Star story complete for the Sega Saturn and being accused of faking a release "that never existed" as Vic Ireland said that Lunar Silver Star Story complete only exists for the Playstation..  Plus a few youtubers had a meltdown on there..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Digi.k on 08/27/2017, 06:30 PM
that was 2007 for me.  During the time I uploaded Lunar Silver Star story complete for the Sega Saturn and being accused of faking a release "that never existed" as Vic Ireland said that Lunar Silver Star Story complete only exists for the Playstation..  Plus a few youtubers had a meltdown on there..
lol.  motherfuckers be dum
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NightWolve

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/23/2016, 11:39 PM1989 Looks cool!
1990 I wish I had some friends.
1991 These accessories are freaking expensive.
1992 A cheap 16-bit console!
1993 Finally, good games
1994 Clearance!
1995 That's it?
1996 Playstation sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1997 N64 sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1998 Ebay!
1999 Friends on the internets! Thank you Netscape Navigator!
2000 Imports are expensive.
2001 ...girls... alcohol...
2002 A new Turbo game!
2003 PCEngineFX Forums!
2004 It is no longer possible to press TG-CD's :(
2005 Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboExpress? Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboDuo?
2008 RIP TZD. This shit is getting expensive. Surely, prices will top off.
2009 Insanity! Pressed CD's!
2010 Who are all of these fucking noobs?
2011 Who are all of these fucking Youtube idiots?
2013 Forum trolling eclipses game time
2014 Rise of the repros
2015 Ceases to be gamer, retro gamer, and collector, just internet asshole.
2016 ?
Hm, you're a very astute observer.  :lol:

Something about the last ~3 cut deep into my soul... :/

Arkhan Asylum

the repro stupidity has definitely opened the floodgates for the dumb.

Mostly due to Facebook amplifying people's attention starved narcisisissiisisisissisism.

Sidenote: does anyone else have issues trying to type narcissism 

I just start hitting keys and going FUCK IT. 

blueraven

Vestcoat for the win, again.

Cutting through like a scalpel.

Also please bring back your Avatar.

Great to have you back.

SignOfZeta

I still feel like a noob because my first system was a Duo (ie: I'm not on the first couple years of this timeline.)
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/20/2017, 05:26 PMI still feel like a noob because my first system was a Duo (ie: I'm not on the first couple years of this timeline.)
The way I see it, the only way to be a noob is if you got into Turbografx because of either the Wii or videos on youtube
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

HuMan

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/20/2017, 06:04 PMThe way I see it, the only way to be a noob is if you got into Turbografx because of either the Wii or videos on youtube
It all started on eBay for me, very long time ago now. First was a TG16, but then I saw the light and went to PCE.

turboswimbz

Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 02:20 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 10/20/2017, 06:04 PMThe way I see it, the only way to be a noob is if you got into Turbografx because of either the Wii or videos on youtube
It all started on eBay for me, very long time ago now. First was a TG16, but then I saw the light and went to PCE.
Ehhh I was labeled a noob despite having a system in 91.  I spent years trying to get more games, but it was not something I could do until I was an actual adult... (haha i remember the days when I was one of the youngest active persons on the forums) and then I was able to start just in time for prices to skyrocket... thus there were a good couple of years of where the frustration on this list starts, I didn't immediately get...I now get it, and wish I didn't. on the upside emulation has also taken off so I can play without throwing out too much cash. . .     
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

HuMan

What I did was get a PCE Duo, an Everdrive and a pack of CD-Rs. I do have a few real PCE HuCards and CDs, but these days it makes no sense to spend hundreds/thousands when there's a good real hardware alternative.

PukeSter

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/21/2017, 09:28 AM
Ehhh I was labeled a noob despite having a system in 91.  I spent years trying to get more games, but it was not something I could do until I was an actual adult... (haha i remember the days when I was one of the youngest active persons on the forums) and then I was able to start just in time for prices to skyrocket... thus there were a good couple of years of where the frustration on this list starts, I didn't immediately get...I now get it, and wish I didn't. on the upside emulation has also taken off so I can play without throwing out too much cash. . .     
Youngest forum member here I think, I'm 19. I was 13 when I joined.

Got into the console via Bomberman on the PC. Then I got a Wii and a bunch of virtual console games.

Having to save up my money means a lot of PCE on the laptop. The Everdrive also serves me well.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 01:28 PMWhat I did was get a PCE Duo, an Everdrive and a pack of CD-Rs. I do have a few real PCE HuCards and CDs, but these days it makes no sense to spend hundreds/thousands when there's a good real hardware alternative.
Can we just put that in our sigs and leave it otherwise assumed at this point?
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/21/2017, 01:29 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/21/2017, 09:28 AM
Youngest forum member here I think, I'm 19. I was 13 when I joined.

Got into the console via Bomberman on the PC. Then I got a Wii and a bunch of virtual console games.

Having to save up my money means a lot of PCE on the laptop. The Everdrive also serves me well.
Interesting. I was 19 when I got my Duo. It's wild to imagine buying a Duo that's already older than the person buying it.
IMG

HuMan

Apparently I'm a few months older than the Turbo Duo. When did the black PCE Duo launch?

turboswimbz

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/21/2017, 01:29 PMYoungest forum member here I think, I'm 19. I was 13 when I joined.
Hence why I said one of the youngest (24 at the time).  There were a couple other teenagers as members back around 2012ish .  PCE is good however you play.  and yeah it's strange to me too Zeta that a few of the systems I have are as old as I am. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

ghataa

Got the TG16 and Sega Genesis within days of each other in 1989. May have even been Labor Day weekend.

I really liked both but the TG16 won me over completely when I got the CD attachment on Christmas 1990. I have the pics somewhere. I still have the original massive box!  My favorite was Y's I and II of course!
1989: TG16
1990: Turbo CD
2000: Duo RX
Accessories: Turbo Booster, Turbo Stick

geise

Quote from: ghataa on 10/24/2017, 08:41 PMGot the TG16 and Sega Genesis within days of each other in 1989. May have even been Labor Day weekend.

I really liked both but the TG16 won me over completely when I got the CD attachment on Christmas 1990. I have the pics somewhere. I still have the original massive box!  My favorite was Ys I and II of course!
lol! Post pics of you with the box in the show you mugs thread or whatever it's called now.  BTW Welcome!

retro junkie

I had the Sega Genesis and the SNES. I had only read about the Turbo Grafx 16 in gaming magazines. There was no internet in those days. I went across the state line into Tennessee and purchased mine off the shelf at a Toys-R-Us. That is were I purchased most of my games that I still have today. My wife gave me the Turbo Express for Christmas that year. I ordered the CD attachment with a money order out of the back of a gaming magazine for $150. They were out so they sent me a replacement, it was a Turbo Duo. I was not disappointed.  :dance: It has been in the last bunch of years that I have acquired the PC Engine. The love continues.

ghataa

Never was able to afford the Turbo Express. I wanted it desperately but I was a poor graduate student. I was lucky enough to get a Turbo CD which was probably a better choice for me as I instantly fell in love with the system!
1989: TG16
1990: Turbo CD
2000: Duo RX
Accessories: Turbo Booster, Turbo Stick

kenomac78

2006! exactly? who even created the term retro gamer? I've always preferred the term vintage anyway.

ClodBusted

1999: Learned about the PCE in a videogame magazine.
2004: Read a book were the PCE was discussed.
2008: Started smoking cigarettes.
2010: Quit smoking.
2010: Food tastes so much better now.
2011: Saw the GameSack episode about the TurboGrafx-16.
2011: Bought a Wii
2012: Got Gradius II on Virtual Console.
2013: Got my Turbo Duo. First game: Bomberman 94.
2013: Oooh shit, sound fades. What's up with that?
2013: Joined PCEFX forums.
2013: Had the Duo's caps replaced by a friend.
2014: I'm pretty much done buying the games I really wanted.
2014: Got a Flashcard. Loaded Magical Chase onto it.
2014: Fuck, my Duo won't power up anymore.
2015: Time to get more TG-16 Virtual Console games before Nintendo closes down the Wii shop.
2015-2017: Spamming the PCEFX forums. Still going to do so.

Don't nail me down on the exact years, I'm not getting younger and wrote this from my memory without actually doing research.

EDIT: Dates corrected.

retro junkie

Not sure of the accuracy of this timeline. Lets just say it is "sort-of."
1989: Read about it in Game Magazine (Hunger started)
1990: The want & hunger continues without seeing one anywhere. Settles for a Sega Genesis.
1991: Still wanting one but gets sidetracked with a SNES.
1993: Finally finds one out of state Toys-R-Us clearance, purchased with Bonk! Gets Express the same year! Bomberman becomes family time.
1994: Gets a Turbo Duo- Gates of Thunder consumes time.
1995: Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder consumes time.
1996: Turbo Grafx shooters continues to dominate game time.
At this point everything becomes muddled with the CD era of gaming. I still had a loyalty to the Turbo but there was a lot of distractions.
December 14, 2014 I return to my senses, my mind clears, as I acquired a PC Engine. My passion is renewed. Games began to pour in at this point and my game time becomes once again flavored with this unusual console and its influence.
2017: Along with my 2DS xl the PC Engine/ Turbo Grafx 16 becomes one of several consoles of that era that I seem to be drawn to and never gets old. That era of gaming is my golden age. Those games are my addiction.

VestCunt

Hey y'all! Nice to see some familiar users posting.

I bought a house last year (actually two on one lot) and got a band going again, so I haven't done much video gaming. Last January I finally picked up a Wii and played some PCE and NeoGeo on the VC. Then I got distracted with Pool of Radiance on the NES again and almost beat that. That's about it.

Made the mistake of trying to buy a NES Classic before it was discontinued -- never again. It seems we've entered the era of not being able to buy stuff because of hyper consumerism (low wages also encourage flippers).

My main nerd activity continues to be D&D. It's easier to do with friends. Combining a hobby and socializing makes the frivolous hours easier to justify. Unlike the TG16, a lot of publishers and fans still support classic D&D, so there's always new material to discuss.

Unfortunately, D&D is mainstream now and collectors are doing what they did to vintage video games ten years ago. Fortunately, I had a twenty-five-year headstart on the posers.

Glad PCEFX endures. The encroachment of Facebook groups into the realm of old bulletin board forums like this is super depressing. There's no institutional memory on Facebook and nobody knows shit. Social media lends itself to photos and haul videos, so most posts are just people bragging about buying crap.

PCEFX is comparatively awesome.
Topic Adjourned.