10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

region hardware mod vs. hucard converter (pchension)

Started by spawnshop, 01/25/2016, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spawnshop

hey guys, i'm debating on either region modding my tg16, or buying a pchension hucard adapter.  does anyone have any advice or insight?  any pros or cons for either?

incrediblehark

I've never used one of these, but have tried others in the past. I prefer the region mod because its all contained internally. There are lots of guides online, its not as hard as it looks with all those pins to cut and wire. Of course you could go with a chopsado for the cheapest and solder free solution  :wink:

ginoscope

I had a similar decision recently and I decided to go the region mod route on my tg16.

It was cheaper and it looks nice without the big adapter sticking out of it.  Advantage of the adapter is you can use it on more than one system.

Ergot_Cholera

wilykat

Converter can run $100+ and it only works for Japanese games on USA console, Japanese console needs to be modded to run USA games.

Region switch can be had for less than $20 if you're capable of modding yourself.  OBEY mod is $16 and quite easy to use.

8p2t switch is fairly hard to find nowday.  Under $20, I can only find large and fugly rotary switch that won't fit inside any TG-16, PCE, CGFx, and Duo.  The smaller 8p2t switch that is not rotary starts at $25.

spawnshop

Hmmmm.....leaning towards the hardware mod now.
But I can use any sort of slide switch, right?
why 8p2t?

majors

Quote from: wilykat on 01/26/2016, 07:57 AMConverter can run $100+ and it only works for Japanese games on USA console, Japanese console needs to be modded to run USA games.
db-elec has a new version of converter that works on both TG and PCE for $80.

I opted to go PCE only now, since I've been picking up more PCE hardware (Shuttle, briefcase, PCE Duo and RX). Plus with a flash cart, I can always torture myself with Failcon and Gunbutt. I still have my old school Kisado for the few US carts I've yet to exchange for their Japanese counterpart(I have one Duo that is mod'd for converter carts and an Express).

OP -> If you have no obey, then going for a modded, repaired PCE Duo would be the way to go IMO.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

Unless you have a bunch of different systems that you want region free, I'd rather have a region mod for similar monies.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spawnshop

I only have one main TG16 System, but would like to use a JP3.0 CD System card to play CDs since the US one is rediculous $$.   Plus if i can region select, i can play everything.....i think.
Will probably end up modding my system.
Would like to do RGB too, but does that work for the CD, or only the main console?

ginoscope

Quote from: spawnshop on 01/26/2016, 09:54 AMI only have one main TG16 System, but would like to use a JP3.0 CD System card to play CDs since the US one is rediculous $$.   Plus if i can region select, i can play everything.....i think.
Would like to do RGB too, but does that work for the CD, or only the main console?
I have the same tg16 CD setup you have.  The rgb would be on the tg16 and not the dock.  Audio would have to come from the dock.

spawnshop

Quote from: ginoscope on 01/26/2016, 07:12 PM
Quote from: spawnshop on 01/26/2016, 09:54 AMI only have one main TG16 System, but would like to use a JP3.0 CD System card to play CDs since the US one is rediculous $$.   Plus if i can region select, i can play everything.....i think.
I have the same tg16 CD setup you have.  The rgb would be on the tg16 and not the dock.  Audio would have to come from the dock.
OK, so RGB is not possible for the CD games?
Only the AV from the dock i presume?

ginoscope

Not at all you will get rgb picture from the cd games but the cable will come from the tg16.  Audio you can connect to the back of the dock.

spawnshop

Quote from: ginoscope on 01/26/2016, 08:05 PMNot at all you will get rgb picture from the cd games but the cable will come from the tg16.  Audio you can connect to the back of the dock.
Oh, i get it.  Thanks.

VenomMacbeth

Did they ever fix the issue with the ED where it doesn't work on a region-modded console?  I sold my Turbo PC Henshin and my Express so I have no way of playing turbo games, but I'm torn between getting a region mod & re-acquiring a converter.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

toaks

The Turbo Everdrive v2 works fine on my region modded Pc-Engine Duo. Not sure about the v1 however.

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: wilykat on 01/26/2016, 07:57 AMConverter can run $100+ and it only works for Japanese games on USA console, Japanese console needs to be modded to run USA games.

Region switch can be had for less than $20 if you're capable of modding yourself.  OBEY mod is $16 and quite easy to use.

8p2t switch is fairly hard to find nowday.  Under $20, I can only find large and fugly rotary switch that won't fit inside any TG-16, PCE, CGFx, and Duo.  The smaller 8p2t switch that is not rotary starts at $25.
I have around 40 8P2T slide switches that fit perfectly in the space on the right side of a PCE or Core Grafx. I also have a few of the locking push switches, but they are only really suitable for the larger consoles.
Quote from: toaks on 01/27/2016, 02:02 AMThe Turbo Everdrive v2 works fine on my region modded Pc-Engine Duo. Not sure about the v1 however.
My Everdrive V1.2 works fine on my Core Grafx with 8P2T switch. Don't know about the  chip mod version though.

spawnshop

Quote from: ginoscope on 01/26/2016, 08:05 PMNot at all you will get rgb picture from the cd games but the cable will come from the tg16.  Audio you can connect to the back of the dock.
I've been waiting for months for the dbGrafxBooster‬ to be available, and now that it finally is, I'm not sure I want it anymore....LOL.   I like that it's not a hardware mod, but now that I know a hardware mod chip will let me play the CD games in RGB too, and the booster won't, it's definitely a major strike against it.

wilykat

The general consensus is that TED are fine with all region mod if the mod is wired correctly.  Passive mod using physical switch are fine. Electronic switch using ICs needs to have 5v wired directly off the voltage regulator and not somewhere else because the 5v rail may be sagging a bit and with TED, 5v rail may drop below the minimum level for the mod to work.

MNKyDeth

Quote from: wilykat on 01/27/2016, 06:30 PMThe general consensus is that TED are fine with all region mod if the mod is wired correctly.  Passive mod using physical switch are fine. Electronic switch using ICs needs to have 5v wired directly off the voltage regulator and not somewhere else because the 5v rail may be sagging a bit and with TED, 5v rail may drop below the minimum level for the mod to work.
I have not tested prior TED versions. But TED 2.4 seems to work without issue with Obey chip mod on several of my PC Engine Duo and Duo-R's. At least three each, while being wired to pin 38 Hucard pin for the 5v.

I have not tried any other versions of the console's besides these two and one console did need new 7805's for it to work properly. I think the issues were with TED 2.0 - 2.3 and I think any issues have been resolved with TED 2.4 but this is based on a small selection of consoles in my possession.

ginoscope

Quote from: spawnshop on 01/27/2016, 08:08 AM
I've been waiting for months for the dbGrafxBooster‬ to be available, and now that it finally is, I'm not sure I want it anymore....LOL.   I like that it's not a hardware mod, but now that I know a hardware mod chip will let me play the CD games in RGB too, and the booster won't, it's definitely a major strike against it.
Agreed the dbGrafxBooster‬  is a cool mod but the fact that I cannot use the CD is a major drawback.

Keith Courage

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 01/28/2016, 11:05 AM
Quote from: wilykat on 01/27/2016, 06:30 PMThe general consensus is that TED are fine with all region mod if the mod is wired correctly.  Passive mod using physical switch are fine. Electronic switch using ICs needs to have 5v wired directly off the voltage regulator and not somewhere else because the 5v rail may be sagging a bit and with TED, 5v rail may drop below the minimum level for the mod to work.
I have not tested prior TED versions. But TED 2.4 seems to work without issue with Obey chip mod on several of my PC Engine Duo and Duo-R's. At least three each, while being wired to pin 38 Hucard pin for the 5v.

I have not tried any other versions of the console's besides these two and one console did need new 7805's for it to work properly. I think the issues were with TED 2.0 - 2.3 and I think any issues have been resolved with TED 2.4 but this is based on a small selection of consoles in my possession.
This is good to know. I've come across a few people who have had issues with region mods and the V2.0 ever drive. Good to know I can tell them that V2.4 has no problems. I can say that V1 also works with no issues as long as the mod is done correctly. Short wiring, thin gauge wires, and 5V direct from 7805. Also, 8PDT switches cause no issues with US Turbo Grafx, PC Engine,  and DUO-R/RX systems.  However using 8PDT in Turbo DUO or PC Engine DUO system causes problems with the V1 everdrive.