10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

N00b Question

Started by Chakan, 09/04/2006, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakan

I'm interested in playing me some NEC games and was wondering what model you fine folks would recommend for me. I want something reliable that will play Turbo and PCE games with as few add-ons/mods as possible (especially if the converter is rare and/or expensive). Of course, I'm very interested in many CD-based games.

takashirose

I own a Turbo Duo.  It plays American HuCard games, Japanese HuCard games WITH a converter, which can be expensive, and all American and Japanese CD-Rom games unless it's an Arcade card game, which you need in order to play those and since it's a Japanese HuCard upgrade you would need the Converter.  The PC-Engine DUO plays only Japanese HuCard games(in order to play American games you need to modify it.  Converters alone won't work.), and all American and Japanese CD games unless you need to play the Arcade games , which needs the card.  I bought an American Turbo Duo because I found one new and because it is rarer and I like the Logo more.  Is this the information you want?
Let the old mix with the new.

Chakan

Quote from: "takashirose"Is this the information you want?

That summed it up fairly well, thanks. I've been reading up on this stuff a bit and wanted to make sure I had the correct information.

Are Turbo Duos very reliable? I've read about some sound problems and such, but saw the fix that D-lite posted. Is this a very common issue?

EDIT:  Also, this store seems to be the only place I could find a Turbo Duo system for sale (aside from Ebay). Is $250 a decent price? Anyone know of a better place to get one, or should I just watch for a good deal on Ebay?

SignOfZeta

If you buy a US system you'll just eventually end up looking for some way to get around the fact that it won't play JP HuCards. The US library is but a sliver in the great NEC scheme of things. The only titles that you'd really want US versions of would be the ones with a lot of text, and the number of text heavy HuCards is extremely small (only 3 or 4 I can think of). CDs are region free, so the killer RPGs that were released in English (Y's, Dragon Slayer, etc) will still be available to you regardless of the system's region. The only exceptions would be Neutopia, and Dungeon Explorer...and I really can't see missing those. They certainly aren't worth sacrificing Arcade Card compatability for.

All NEC consoles are reliable, but they are also all old so your milage may vary. The sound problem with original Duos is real, but its also vastly overstated.

Avoid adaptors/converters. They are a huge waste of money. They made sense back when systems were $200-600, and the converters were $15, but now they cost as much as an entire system making them totally pointless. They also make a pretty precarious set-up with the HuCard sticking way the hell out of the front of the machine just asking for someone to step on it and snap it off. Stupid looking as well.

I think the best thing going is to get a PC Engine Duo R, or RX. The only things it won't play right out of the box are US HuCards, and honestly how many of those are "must haves"? Pretty much none. US releases are almost always more rare and expensive than JP ones, and they all have crapier boxes.

I suppose everyone is different, but it seems almost certain that you'd be more interested in Japanese Arcade Card games (the use of which on US systems is a huge pain) than you would be in US HuCards.

A JP system needs a mod, in addition to a converter, in order to play US games. A US system just needs a converter to play JP games. The mod the PCE will need though is ridiculously simple.

For the record, I've been collecting Turbo/PCE stuff since about 1992, and I have both US, and JP systems so I'm not just being one of those tools that is recomending a specific avenue just because he wasted a ton of money on it.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Chakan"EDIT:  Also, this store seems to be the only place I could find a Turbo Duo system for sale (aside from Ebay). Is $250 a decent price? Anyone know of a better place to get one, or should I just watch for a good deal on Ebay?

I think that's a pretty crap deal used, no games, $250. I think that might actually be the worst deal on a Turbo I've ever seen. I bought a Turbo Duo new back in 1992. It was $300, it wasn't used, and it came with 5 games. I can't imagine a used, game-less one should cost that much then, now, or ever.

eBay is loaded with PC Engine/Turbo stuff. That's pretty much the way to go. That, and buying it directly from people like the ones on this or other forums.
IMG

CrackTiger

I recommended buying a PC Engine Duo R or RX(not just a regular PCE Duo). They're cheap and reliable and play everything.

If you'd like to also play U.S. HuCards, then just buy a cheap Turbografx-16 system.

These two systems are the cheapest and safest way to go.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

The route CrackTiger recommends is also the route I always recommend to newcomers as well.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Chakan

Okay, so there's two differing opinions there. From the little bit of research I've done, I see very few US HuCard games that I'd have to get. I've only played a little bit of Neutopia and think I could always get through it either way. I don't remember if Nectaris/MMadness was very text heavy...

The majority of the games I'm looking forward to enjoying again or for the first time are CD-based, so there's no worry about Ys, Exile, etc.

Beyond that, I'd assume I'm perfectly fine. I've played through a number of Japanese Saturn games, so even though my Japanese is weak, I can deal with it.

So... I'm leaning towards a PC Engine Duo-R or RX, I guess. Anyone know of a reliable place in the US selling them, or will I be more-than-likely looking at the nasty EMS shipping price ($50-70 for a $140 priced item?!?)?

Just to cover another possibility, how do you guys feel about the modded systems offered at Multimods? I do love Space Harrier, so it'd be a bummer to not be able to pick it up for a fifth platform... but, yeah, I've got the game for about five consoles. I think I'm good. :D

Keranu

There really isn't much text in Military Madness/Nectaris, so you should be able to play the Japanese version just fine.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Chakan"Okay, so there's two differing opinions there. From the little bit of research I've done, I see very few US HuCard games that I'd have to get. I've only played a little bit of Neutopia and think I could always get through it either way. I don't remember if Nectaris/MMadness was very text heavy...

The majority of the games I'm looking forward to enjoying again or for the first time are CD-based, so there's no worry about Ys, Exile, etc.

Beyond that, I'd assume I'm perfectly fine. I've played through a number of Japanese Saturn games, so even though my Japanese is weak, I can deal with it.

So... I'm leaning towards a PC Engine Duo-R or RX, I guess. Anyone know of a reliable place in the US selling them, or will I be more-than-likely looking at the nasty EMS shipping price ($50-70 for a $140 priced item?!?)?

Just to cover another possibility, how do you guys feel about the modded systems offered at Multimods? I do love Space Harrier, so it'd be a bummer to not be able to pick it up for a fifth platform... but, yeah, I've got the game for about five consoles. I think I'm good. :D

Not only is Military Madness/Nectaris totally playable in japanese, so is the CD sequal Neo Nectaris which just happens to include the first game on the same disc(for not much more than the price of the U.S. HuCard)!

If you look on eBay, it's probably cheaper overall to buy an R/RX from a japanese seller and you'd have enough selection to pick out a decent one.

I had my RX fully modded through Multimods and I couldn't live without it now. Seriously, when the lens died in it, I stopped playing several games I was working on because I didn't want to continue them until I had S-Video back.

The other bonus of buying there is that the system will be thoroughly tested.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Chakan

Ok, and finally, just to verify something I read online: a Duo-R or RX has all of the features of the various game cards built in, so I won't need this or that system card, correct? Aside from the Arcade card, that is.

takashirose

That is correct except that the Duo R/RX lacks earphone plugs like the Duo.  I personally like the design of the black Duo more.  It's bad ass, but that is just my taste.

I bought for $500 recently a sealed Turbo duo system with game bundle, instructions, magazine, and coupons!  The games were the main reason I bought it for $500.  Some people sell used ones on ebay for crazy prices, and since I didno't have a Duo and the only one I am looking for was a close to new one.  What bettter close to new one than a sealed one.  Because there in short supply where I got it, I am afraid that it is not a good idea to post it on the forums.  It's not on their website or anything like that.  I had to e-mail them.  I wasn't expecting them to have it.  I hope you get what YOU want.  :)

Keranu

Good deal takashirose, assuming the games you got were the same ones included with the Duo pack in. It kind of sucks since that original pack in was $200 less than what you payed for :( , but still a good deal for today's standards.
IMG

TR0N

Duo-R+Reigon Mod+S-sideo&RBG mod=Pure magic there ya go.

You could get a regular Turbo Duo or a PCE Duo and hope it won't have the sound issue but that's a gamble in it self.

It's your choice realy, pick what ever you think is best for your needs.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

Quote from: "Chakan"Ok, and finally, just to verify something I read online: a Duo-R or RX has all of the features of the various game cards built in, so I won't need this or that system card, correct? Aside from the Arcade card, that is.
Yeah a Duo-R and RX all ready has the 3.0 Super System card bulit in.

So your set that way btw.. the arcade card is sold seperately.
IMG

Vanquish

what  is that sound issue?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Vanquish"what  is that sound issue?

The capacitors in the sound circuit crap out leaving you with huge sound issues. Changes made to the R/RX fixed this.

Honestly though I have a US Duo with a *ton* of hours on it. Probably 1000+, and never had this problem. Either have other Turbo Duo owners I know.

Buy a Duo R/RX, not because of the sound problem, but because its vastly cooler looking.
IMG

takashirose

My Turbo Duo was the same package from 1992/1993.  Mine was manufactured on January 1993.  It works perfectly for me.  The only thing that happens now and again is that the music for my Lords of Thunder game dies out.  The sound effects work.  The music starts playing after a short while or after resetting the system.  It only happens with that game.  All the other cd-games and hu-cards work perfectly.  Maybe the Lords of Thunder music is too good for it.  ha ha.

Seldane

Fades out, eh? Definitely sounds like a capacitor problem. Using equipment with faulty capacitors can (will, eventally) result in more damage.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

takashirose

It happens once in a while with ONLY Lords of Thunder.  It's not a problem.

takashirose

I mean it is a problem, but I am not worried about it because it only happens with that game.

Keranu

Strange that it only happens when you play Lords. You know, a person I talked to once said that he thought his Duo was suffering the sound problem too because aftering booting up Lords in it from it being packed away for so long, he said it started to fade out or something. I could be wrong, but I recall him saying that other CD games didn't do it either. I would have to check with him about this, strange.

EDIT: It just occured to me, maybe the CD tracks in Lords of Thunder are so hardcore that it needs extra capacitor juice just for itself? :D
IMG

takashirose

Really?  I know the music is awesome, but do you think it needed more capacitor juice?  They should make a direct sequel to Lords of Thunder and keep it as a 2-d shooter.  The music should be in a similar style, but with beautiful vocals.  Imagine if the music of Lords of Thunder had vocals to match the music, it would would be extreme art.

CrackTiger

Quote from: "takashirose"Really?  I know the music is awesome, but do you think it needed more capacitor juice?  They should make a direct sequel to Lords of Thunder and keep it as a 2-d shooter.  The music should be in a similar style, but with beautiful vocals.  Imagine if the music of Lords of Thunder had vocals to match the music, it would would be extreme art.

I'm still waiting for 720p 2D handrawn games. Guilty Gear looks cool, but I want something more like Lords or a questy Castlevania with nicely shaded graphics.

takashirose

I want a Lords of Thunder direct sequel with neo-classicl melodic metal with beautiful vocals and graphics(No,3-D isn't better all the time, you know.  2-D) to match.  :)

TurboXray

What about it being in 2.5D? ala the first contra game for PS2 (not that crappy 3D sequel). Ultimate GnG is 2.5D too and plays/looks great.

GUTS

That second Contra game was awesome and had that crazy Contra feel, Shattered Soldier was so bland and boring.

takashirose

Shattered soldier was a 2-d game with 3-D graphics.  A 2.5D games is like the game Nights for the Saturn.  2.5D gives you the illusion of a 3D game, but never really "roams".

Chakan

Like Strider 2 or Psychic Killer Taroumaru. I loves me some 2.5D.

TurboXray

Takashirose: Were I come from, 2.5D means a 2D play style game in a 3D environment or partial 3D/2D environment. 2.5D is the average of a 2D game in a 3D environment - (2D+3D)/2=2.5D :D  :D  :D

GUTS: One very good reason (among others) why the second Contra game on PS2 is utter crap - there's a little talking DOG as one of the main villians! For Contra storyline - that is just the stupidest thing I've seen. The game hit an low point at that moment for me. Little talking dogs don't belong in Contra. Period.

Plus, the game had poor production design. I can't believe it was done by the same team. Good thing I only spent $15 on it :D

Chakan

I went with a Duo-R. I would normally prefer a system in better condition, but until my PCE library is bigger, this cheaper deal seems preferable. :)

Keranu

Pretty decent deal you got, Chakan. Good decision to buy a loose system first since you're game library isn't very big.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Bonknuts"One very good reason (among others) why the second Contra game on PS2 is utter crap - there's a little talking DOG as one of the main villians! For Contra storyline - that is just the stupidest thing I've seen. The game hit an low point at that moment for me. Little talking dogs don't belong in Contra. Period.

I guess that you've never played Contra Hard Corps.   :lol:

One of the main characters is "Brad Fang" a sun glasses wearing wolf-human hybrid who specializes in close range, hand-to-hand combat and looks like "Poochie" from The Simpsons.

Seriously.

And this is the quality Contra made by Treasure.

GUTS

Contra Hard Corps smashes the shit out of every other contra game ever made.  Super C is great too, but it's no Hard Corps.  That was back when Treasure actually made good games instead of shit like Gunstar Super Heroes and Stretch Panic.

Chakan

Excuse me, it's Contra: HardASS Corps.

Still love it, though. :)

Chakan

Just a followup before my Duo-R arrives. The seller reminded me that there's a slight difference in Japan and US's voltage. I've done a tiny bit of research and most people seem to disregard this and play their Duo's as is. This seems to lead to a little extra heat, but I haven't read anything concerning major issues.

What do you guys think? Is getting a small converter worthwhile? Will incorrect voltage eventually damage my incoming Duo-R? I know it's possible, but how probable is it?

Does anyone know of a North American power adapter that works with the Duo-R and supplies it with it's exact required voltage?

So far I have the following coming in along with my Duo-R.
Duo Tap
Tennokoe Bank memory card
Ys I & II

The Tap was practically required because I love Bomberman and my fiance adores Street Fighter II. Nabbed the Bank for what seemed like a decent price ($8). I figured I'd just be as prepared as possible. Ys... well, I shouldn't have to make an excuse for it.

Anyone know of a good place to score a couple of Duo pads for a good price? I don't mind used pads, as long as they function properly.

esteban

Quote from: "Chakan"So far I have the following coming in along with my Duo-R.
Duo Tap
Tennokoe Bank memory card
Ys I & II

The Tap was practically required because I love Bomberman and my fiance adores Street Fighter II. Nabbed the Bank for what seemed like a decent price ($8). I figured I'd just be as prepared as possible. Ys... well, I shouldn't have to make an excuse for it.

Anyone know of a good place to score a couple of Duo pads for a good price? I don't mind used pads, as long as they function properly.
$8 is a good price for the Tennokoe Bank.

tzd.com might not be the cheapest source for pads, but you can get TG-16 pads that have been modified to work with a DUO. All of the components are brand new.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Chakan

Yeah, I'm looking at either waiting for a week or two on an eBay bundle, or ordering a second one from TZD. Of course, I am waiting on word about an Exile & Avenue 6 deal.  :twisted:

As far as the power supply question goes, will getting the following power adapter be a safer bet?

COBY CA-44 UNIVERSAL POWER A/C ADAPTER-1000MA

AlexKidd

Quote from: "takashirose"My Turbo Duo was the same package from 1992/1993.  Mine was manufactured on January 1993.  It works perfectly for me.  The only thing that happens now and again is that the music for my Lords of Thunder game dies out.  The sound effects work.  The music starts playing after a short while or after resetting the system.  It only happens with that game.  All the other cd-games and hu-cards work perfectly.  Maybe the Lords of Thunder music is too good for it.  ha ha.

I've had almost this same problem, only the game was Gate of Thunder. It only happened maybe twice and only with that game. The sound effects were there but no music. It scared the crap out of me the first time because of all the things i've heard about duo's with sound issues.

However, it's never happened with any other games and hasn't happened with Gate of Thunder in quite awhile. Mine is an American Turbo Duo too by the way.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Chakan"Just a followup before my Duo-R arrives. The seller reminded me that there's a slight difference in Japan and US's voltage. I've done a tiny bit of research and most people seem to disregard this and play their Duo's as is. This seems to lead to a little extra heat, but I haven't read anything concerning major issues.

What do you guys think? Is getting a small converter worthwhile? Will incorrect voltage eventually damage my incoming Duo-R? I know it's possible, but how probable is it?

Does anyone know of a North American power adapter that works with the Duo-R and supplies it with it's exact required voltage?

The power in your average household varies almost as the difference between US, and JP voltages. Japan is 100VAC, and the US is supossed to be 110-115 VAC. If you ever bother to take a meter and measure voltages around the US though you'll find that number is all over the place.

If anything would suffer it would probably be the power supply, and not the Duo itself.

The only system I've seen actually have issues with this was a friend's Japanese PS1. He had to open the door, tape the door button down, and set a fan blowing on it or all sorts of wierd crap would happen with the graphics. The PS1 is probably the most legendarily crappy system build quality-wise though, and this was a day one machine so maybe even that could have been a fluke.

$700 to play Toshinden and Ridge Racer...my word....

Some systems like the Saturn actually have the same power supply in both US, and JP systems. They are either extra durable, or maybe auto switching.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it as long as the PS you are getting is in fact the original, and not some random crap someone threw in. But if you do want the perfect Duo R PS for North America, its Radio Shack's 273-1771. Its 9V 1500mA and non-adujustabe so you can't set it incorrectly. Its kind of pricey, like $27 or something I think, but is absoluetly perfect for Duo Rs. It has the folding prongs, and its even white!
IMG

Chakan

I guess I'll just monitor the temp here and there when I get my Duo this week. Thanks for the reply, Zeta.

All of you guys have been really helpful. Wether you like it or not, I'd say you got a new permanent member here.  8)

TR0N

Quote from: "Chakan"I went with a Duo-R. I would normally prefer a system in better condition, but until my PCE library is bigger, this cheaper deal seems preferable. :)
Congrats i've used dream_stars_japan befor as well... that's how i got my duo-r boxed.

Still if you ever want more out of your, Duo-r such as region mod and s-video etc send it to D-lite.
IMG

Chakan

Got my Duo-R today. Great packing from seller. Quite pleased with it. :D

Excuse me while I go play some games. ^^

Keranu

You're very excused.  8)
IMG