RGB/Component Mod Dropping Color

Started by Scarletspeedstr, 02/25/2016, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarletspeedstr

I really had hoped my first post wasn't in this section.  I purchased a pre-modded Duo-RX that came region free and also with a scart and component cable.  I had no issues playing the first day, but then today after playing for 30min. I lost all reds in the video.  A reset of the console solved the issue for about 5min., but then I lost the red again.  Now, I can't play anything for more than 5-10min. without losing color.  I'd rather not have to send the system back to Japan if there are a few things I can try on my own.

SignOfZeta

You bought a modded system from Japan?
IMG

mickcris

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/25/2016, 10:33 PMYou bought a modded system from Japan?
Probably from duojindance.

Most likely the mod has a loose wire.

Keith Courage

Quote from: mickcris on 02/25/2016, 10:38 PMProbably from duojindance.

I agree, it's probably the wire that attaches to the hu6260 chip. I've seen many rgb/component mods where there is hardly any solder on those wires holding them on or they are slightly bridged to another pin. If you have a friend who is good at soldering tiny pins then it can be fixed.

Scarletspeedstr

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/25/2016, 10:49 PM
Quote from: mickcris on 02/25/2016, 10:38 PMProbably from duojindance.

I agree, it's probably the wire that attaches to the hu6260 chip. I've seen many rgb/component mods where there is hardly any solder on those wires holding them on or they are slightly bridged to another pin. If you have a friend who is good at soldering tiny pins then it can be fixed.
I can probably handle that myself, I just needed an idea of what/where to look.  I've done mods on a lot of other systems but decided to take the lazy approach with this, and well, now I'm paying for that.  Thanks for the feedback.

mickcris

It may be difficult to fix as duojindance likes to cover his work in epoxy.

Scarletspeedstr

Quote from: mickcris on 02/25/2016, 11:04 PMIt may be difficult to fix as duojindance likes to cover his work in epoxy.
Sounds like a fun weekend.  I'll open it up tomorrow and see what I've got.  I just can't have nice things.

SignOfZeta

Oh man, it would suck if he epoxied that. Hope to God it fell off on the other end.
IMG

thesteve

if it works for a min, its not a loose wire
i know on the duojindance RGB amps the input caps are installed backwards, due to the 6260 outputs having a 4V offset, but the amp inputs are only 2V offset
bad cap would do it in the amp

780racer

Quote from: thesteve on 02/26/2016, 01:25 AMif it works for a min, its not a loose wire
i know on the duojindance RGB amps the input caps are installed backwards, due to the 6260 outputs having a 4V offset, but the amp inputs are only 2V offset
bad cap would do it in the amp
I trust this man's opinion. I would suggest checking the Cap in the amp.

Scarletspeedstr

Great feedback, much appreciated.  I will check this weekend.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard and good luck with the fixin'.  Le Steve knows his shit inside and out, so listen to him and don't hesitate to send it his way if you need to toss in the towel.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

L-Digital

You can remove his epoxy with a hairdryer and patience

Scarletspeedstr

So before things got crazy, I decided to test it out on some different displays.  In short, no color drop on either of my LCDs.  The two Sony Wega CRTs?  Both exhibiting the color drop after some playing time.  My Omega gets some considerable time on the Sony and this doesn't happen.  I suppose not all amps are created equally.

mickcris

Quote from: Scarletspeedstr on 02/27/2016, 06:34 PMSo before things got crazy, I decided to test it out on some different displays.  In short, no color drop on either of my LCDs.  The two Sony Wega CRTs?  Both exhibiting the color drop after some playing time.  My Omega gets some considerable time on the Sony and this doesn't happen.  I suppose not all amps are created equally.
I assume you are connecting the console with the component cables to all the displays you tested it on?  Have you tested RGB with the scart cable?

Scarletspeedstr

Quote from: mickcris on 02/27/2016, 07:42 PM
Quote from: Scarletspeedstr on 02/27/2016, 06:34 PMSo before things got crazy, I decided to test it out on some different displays.  In short, no color drop on either of my LCDs.  The two Sony Wega CRTs?  Both exhibiting the color drop after some playing time.  My Omega gets some considerable time on the Sony and this doesn't happen.  I suppose not all amps are created equally.
I assume you are connecting the console with the component cables to all the displays you tested it on?  Have you tested RGB with the scart cable?
Correct, component output on all monitors.  I have no way of testing scart, despite having the cable for it.

Scarletspeedstr

Will probably see how difficult it will be to try a different amp, didn't get around to opening it up today.

thesteve

before you try another amp check the resistance to ground on the TV inputs (it might surprise you)
if all are 75ohms to ground they are correct, but if the problem ones are much higher it could explain what happened

Scarletspeedstr

Good idea.  The CRTs each checked out ok.  What's more odd, I played for 90min. last night and didn't experience the color drop once.  I can't consistently replicate the issue, but living with it's randomness while gaming is annoying.

Bernie

Stuff like this makes me just wanna stick with the OE composite out.  I have had a couple that were component modded from turbokon, and they looked fantastic however.

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

mickcris

Quote from: Bernie on 03/02/2016, 01:32 PMStuff like this makes me just wanna stick with the OE composite out.  I have had a couple that were component modded from turbokon, and they looked fantastic however.

I would not take this one person's issue as something that is widespread.  There have been some other people that have had issues with duojindance's systems though.  All the extra handling having it shipped from Japan might be part of the reason sometimes people have problems with them.

Scarletspeedstr

Quote from: mickcris on 03/02/2016, 06:05 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 03/02/2016, 01:32 PMStuff like this makes me just wanna stick with the OE composite out.  I have had a couple that were component modded from turbokon, and they looked fantastic however.

I would not take this one person's issue as something that is widespread.  There have been some other people that have had issues with duojindance's systems though.  All the extra handling having it shipped from Japan might be part of the reason sometimes people have problems with them.
I'd be the first to agree with that.  I have plenty of other systems and modded consoles that are without issue.  This particular one is just going to need someone more experienced than I to clean it up.  I have to think this is not the norm.

Scarletspeedstr

Finally got around to opening this up.  On the 6260, pins 47, 49, 51, 53, and 55 are tapped.  I noticed on thesteve's site there is an earlier pin tapped for synch.  That's not the case on my setup, I'm uncertain if 53 or 55 are to serve that purpose.

At this stage I'm considering ordering a much nicer looking board from thesteve's site, and attempting a clean install.

mickcris

Quote from: Scarletspeedstr on 03/03/2016, 07:29 PMFinally got around to opening this up.  On the 6260, pins 47, 49, 51, 53, and 55 are tapped.  I noticed on thesteve's site there is an earlier pin tapped for synch.  That's not the case on my setup, I'm uncertain if 53 or 55 are to serve that purpose.

At this stage I'm considering ordering a much nicer looking board from thesteve's site, and attempting a clean install.
here is the pinout if you are curious:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=schematics:hu6260_netlist
they are 5v and ground

Scarletspeedstr

Great, thanks for the pinout mickcris.  Going to attempt install of the new amp tonite.  For clarity, the amp has a spot for 5v on both the input (RGB) and output (component), it does require both correct?

*Update*
New amp is in.  I was worried at first because everything was blue/green, but some pot tweaks and all is well.  Thanks to all who commented and provided tips and guidance.

thesteve

well congrats on pinning it down