OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Best Turbo shooter under $50?

Started by jbeedham, 06/07/2016, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbeedham

I need a new game to play. 😃 What do you think the best shooter is for under $50? I'm talking Ebay prices unless you are selling. 😉
Turbo Duo serial#33005824A

wiseau

I hear Deep Blue is a great game.

SignOfZeta

Super Star Soldier or any game in the Soldier series you don't already have. Aeroblasters.

I don't know, is anything on eBay less than $50?
IMG

Otaking

What shooters do you already own? can you play PC engine games? because that would change everything.
 :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Gredler

Le Lazers Con Blazing? I am not aware of current prices, is that over 50$ now?

wiseau

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/07/2016, 05:38 PMSuper Star Soldier or any game in the Soldier series you don't already have. Aeroblasters.

Oh sure, plenty of games are at or less than 50 cic... just not too many shooters.

Galaga '90

HailingTheThings

IMG

NecroPhile

Definitely Galaga '90.

Blazing Lazers, Psychosis, and R-Type are also pretty good and should fly under the limit.  If you're willing (and able) to do PCE games as well, you should be able to find Air Zonk, Super Air Zonk, Dead Moon, Parodius, and Star Parodier for under $50.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

Can you play CDs? L-dis is decent and can be had on the cheap. I think I paid $12 shipped

exodus

I like hellfire S, aero blasters, soldier blade, psychic storm... I think all those are under 50.

geise

All good ones so far.  Even Deep Blue.  Just don't pay $50 for it.  I would go for Blazing Lazers first.  Complete in case could be $25 if you are patient.

Gypsy

Quote from: exodus on 06/07/2016, 07:28 PMI like hellfire S, aero blasters, soldier blade, psychic storm... I think all those are under 50.
If only.

The rest pretty much are, even on Ebay.

Super Star Soldier and Final Soldier are still excellent buys if you don't have them OP.

CrackTiger

Aeroblasters
PC Denjin
Download

Star Parodia
Gradius II
Gate of Thunder PCE
Download 2
Macross 2036
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2016, 08:00 PMAeroblasters
PC Denjin
Download

Star Parodia
Gradius II
Gate of Thunder PCE
Download 2
Macross 2036
Pretty much nailed it.  I'd still add Blazing Lazers and R-Type.

Psycho Punch

Blazing Lazers is a given even if you have a US PCE.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

jtucci31

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/07/2016, 05:38 PMSuper Star Soldier or any game in the Soldier series you don't already have. Aeroblasters.

Sadly I doubt any of those are under $50 anymore

wiseau

Almost forgot Sidearms, pretty great shooter that you can get for 15 if you have some patience, 25 if not.

csgx1

Most of the good ones were already mentioned. 

Cyber Core and Avenger PCE CD are two shooters that I like and should be under $50.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: csgx1 on 06/07/2016, 08:46 PMMost of the good ones were already mentioned. 

Cyber Core and Avenger PCE CD are two shooters that I like and should be under $50.
Super Darius too, pretty good price for a good shooter.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

deubeul

I was going to say Override but damn, just had a lok on Ebay...   :shock:

Chou Aniki, Image Fight, Salamander, Zero Wing, Rabio Lepus, Atomic Robo-Kid, Ordyne, Gradius, Kyūkyoku Tiger...

CrackTiger

Anyone considering Sidearms should get Sidearms Special.

BlaZing LaZers is being gouged because of collectards, but is still under $50. Both regions of Aeroblasters is as well and so is PCE Super Star Soldier.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

780racer

Blazing lazers is by far my favorite Hue card shooter. IDK, it was my first, and my favorite.

CD games is close, but I think Lords has it for me.

Tons of others that could compete, most were mentioned.

martinine

Blazing Lazers is one of my most cherished Turbo games. If you don't have it, I would definitely look there first.  It's been going from absurdly low to absurdly high lately. It doesn't make any sense.

If you want a solid import eBay store, search seller hit-Japan 

I ordered some games from them last week, and they are already here. Amazing speed. I've gotten stuff slower from states near me in NC.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

neopolss

I love blazing lasers.  Great game, hopefully still affordable.  Spriggan?  At one point it used to be decent priced as well.

CrackTiger

hit japan is hit or miss, generally overpriced and if he doesn't like an offer you make he might ban you.

jbeedham

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2016, 06:02 PMCan you play CDs? L-dis is decent and can be had on the cheap. I think I paid $12 shipped
Yes I can play CD's. I have a TurboDuo.
Turbo Duo serial#33005824A

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2016, 11:39 PMhit japan is hit or miss, generally overpriced and if he doesn't like an offer you make he might ban you.
Yeah, HJ used to be super cheap, now they know about the retro gaming boom and they're not going to let every retro game be sucked out of Japan without someone paying well for it.

Some of those prices...$2400 for Char's Gamecube? His $1400 PCE LTs seem fair by comparison. I guess that's the long term goal of most gougers, lie about what it's worth until they believe it, then cut a "deal" that in itself was the main gouge all along.
IMG

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: martinine on 06/07/2016, 10:31 PMBlazing Lazers is one of my most cherished Turbo games. If you don't have it, I would definitely look there first.  It's been going from absurdly low to absurdly high lately. It doesn't make any sense.
Dude Blazing Lazers is the best SHMUP hands down on any system ever made. Tons of action going on, multitude of upgrades at your disposal, and not punishingly difficult or unfair, ie like many later one-hit death bullet hells. If you're powered up enough, you can take a couple hits before your ship is destroyed when your lazer reverts back to standard weapon, watch out, because one more hit will likely kill you. Pay attention to which powerups you collect. My favorite is the III beams.

I'm lucky I picked it up last fall just before it really started to climb. If you enjoy shooters, you owe yourself to pick this one up! =D>
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

rxmage

Not my favorite, but it has a following.  Space Harrier can be found for less then $50 CIC.

geise

Quote from: wiseau on 06/07/2016, 08:32 PMAlmost forgot Sidearms, pretty great shooter that you can get for 15 if you have some patience, 25 if not.
Yeah, that is a good one.  I still rock that game every now and then.  I still have yet to play Sidearms Special on CD.

Regarding Spriggan, it is my favorite shooter on the system.  Surprisingly it can still be had between $50 and $75.  If you gives no shits about spine cards you can get it for $50.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: csgx1 on 06/07/2016, 08:46 PMMost of the good ones were already mentioned. 

I really like Avenger as well. Good tunes, nice gameplay, cool bosses, not brain-numbingly hard. It can still be had pretty affordably.

MNKyDeth

Why not spring for an everdrive? Sure it's more than $50 but then you get every single hucard based game for the system and are able to play it on real hardware as well. No need for a region modded system either if you go this route.

Cdrom based games you can burn so essentially every game is free beyond the cost of the CD-r's and everdrive. The cheapest way to experience all the games on this system using real hardware.

SignOfZeta

The cheapest is not always the most fun.
IMG

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2016, 10:17 PMAnyone considering Sidearms should get Sidearms Special.
I don't think Sidearms Special is appreciably superior to the HuCard version in any way.

While it still has the base excellence of Sidearms, it suffers from having a lame, low-energy soundtrack (compared to the excellent chiptunes of the HuCard) and an extra mode that is honestly not worth bothering with - it's just inferior to the arcade design. That and slight load times between bosses and levels vs the more seamless HuCard (though this is really minor).

I think the statement ought to be reversed: if you don't have Sidearms, just stick with the HuCard! Cheaper, and a better game!

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/08/2016, 03:58 AMDude Blazing Lazers is the best SHMUP hands down on any system ever made. Tons of action going on, multitude of upgrades at your disposal, and not punishingly difficult or unfair, ie like many later one-hit death bullet hells.
The tons of action is more so on God mode or Mania; anything below that is more akin "hold fire and coast," especially with lasers covering the entire screen  :D

And most bullet hells aren't that unfair. In fact some don't even kill you in one hit.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/08/2016, 12:18 PMThe cheapest is not always the most fun.
If we are going by TurboGrafx prices, expensive is usually not fun either.

CrackTiger

I don't think Sidearms is appreciably superior to the CD version in any way.

While it still has the base excellence of Sidearms, it suffers from having a lame, subpar chip-sound soundtrack (complete with infamous NEC "drumming") and is missing all of the sampled sound effects. The music is still superior to the arcade, but that's not saying much. Sidestepping the split second load times between bosses and levels isn't really a perceivable difference if you have a properly functioning CD system, as they take no longer than changing CD music tracks.

I think the statement ought to be reversed: even if you have Sidearms, get Sidearms Special! It's cheaper than the HuCard version (<half the price!), worth buying just as a music CD, a better game, plus a second game and a poster!

Psycho Punch

There is a poster???

I must buy it then.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/08/2016, 08:21 PMThere is a poster???

I must buy it then.
It's small. Monster Lair has one two.

4-6 panels of a CD booklet...

IIRC.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

drewbrim

Another vote here for Aero Blasters.  Just mind the ceilings and floors on the 3rd stage 😃

CrackTiger

Record of Lodoss War is worth buying just for the poster.

Quote from: drewbrim on 06/09/2016, 12:16 AMAnother vote here for Aero Blasters.  Just mind the ceilings and floors on the 3rd stage :wink:
fixed

tpivette

Blazing Lazers... best entry shooter I played back in 89... although, I've been out of the game too long to know if it's under $50 these days. Man I hope it is
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

wiseau

From what i can gather if you just want the card it's almost exactly 50 bucks online, otherwise you're sol.
Scratch that, i was full of shit. still, a complete copy is over 50.

technozombie

Reading through this thread I wanted to recommend Gate of Thunder, then I looked it up on Ebay. Damn.

P.S. GoT is possibly the best shooter ever made. IMO of course.

CrackTiger

Quote from: technozombie on 06/11/2016, 11:07 PMReading through this thread I wanted to recommend Gate of Thunder, then I looked it up on Ebay. Damn.

P.S. GoT is possibly the best shooter ever made. IMO of course.
Most of the recent eBay sales for the Turbo version have been $60 - $70. Still not bad for 4 great games.

technozombie

I picked up the PCE version at Retropalooza Houston and I cant get enough. It's worth it.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: wiseau on 06/11/2016, 09:55 PMFrom what i can gather if you just want the card it's almost exactly 50 bucks online, otherwise you're sol.
Scratch that, i was full of shit. still, a complete copy is over 50.
Get it for under $50 while you still can. If Kanye West has his say in the matter and names a song after it on his upcoming album, it will be $100 overnight... [-X

Quick question regarding Blazing Lazers/Gunhed: Since there's no difficulty selection on Blazing Lazers by default, is what you are playing in the US release equivalent to common dog or hard human? :-k

StarDust4Ever

I just picked up a Soldier Blade off eBay. More of everything great I loved about Blazing Lazers. It was not under $50 though... :p