@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Recommend me some good games for two player simultaneous action...

Started by StarDust4Ever, 06/08/2016, 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarDust4Ever

My friend is coming over this weekend, and it will be my first time seeing him since recently buying a Turbo Tab and spare controller.

I have a fully loaded Everdrive with No_Intro set of all known US and Japanese ROMs. Obviously the four excellent Bomberman games (including the '93 special battle edition) are a given. I am specifically looking for simultaneous multiplayer titles, not turn based, and preferably not sports games unless the gameplay is really really freaking good (like NBA Jam Genesis good). Hucard only as I don't have a CD system.

Last time we took turns with Blazing Lazers. He kept getting his ass kicked (wasting a few of my lives and at least one continue in the process) as I progressed through the stages. I finally made it to the stage six boss before it was time for him to leave. I later made it to stage seven after he left. But at the time, I only had one controller and no Turbo Tap so we didn't have a lot of options.
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Phase

wildfruit

Quote from: Phase on 06/08/2016, 03:37 AMParasol Stars
+ 1. Absolutely you will have a good time with this. If you don't, find new friend.

StarDust4Ever

I actually own Parasol Stars too. Thanks for the suggestions...  :D

wiseau

Otaking

We used to play multiplayer Moto Roader I and II a lot back in the day, I haven't played either in a long time so I don't know if they've aged badly.

Others I played back in the day:
Detana TwinBee
Don Doko Don
Dragon Saber
Salamander
Street Fighter II

I had great fun playing 2 player PC Genjin 3 quite recently, I'd definitely recommend that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

schweaty

StarDust4Ever

So Bonk 3 have a two player mode? Gotta check that one out thanks!

CrackTiger

Aeroblasters
Gradius
Salamander
Detana Twinbee
Don Doko Don
Parasol Stars
Cadash
BeBall
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

poponon

esteban

Andre Panza Kickboxing (just kidding!)

Don't waste your time with that.

BACK IN TOPIC:
Only a small group of misfits will dig it, but if the folks you are playing with are demented (like my brothers and I):

Double Dungeons

(again, folks either like it or hate it...no middle ground, in my experience).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Warbucks

NecroPhile

Bonk 3, Battle Lode Runner, Parasol Stars, Double Dungeons, Strip Fighter 2 (good for a laugh), 1943, and Cadash.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

I hear TV Sports Hockey and Hit the Ice are excellent two player experiences :D

TR0N

Monster Lair
Gina Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
Busters Bros
Dragon Saber
Double Dragon II The Revenge
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Otaking

Quote from: Otaking on 06/08/2016, 05:53 AMI had great fun playing 2 player PC Genjin 3 quite recently, I'd definitely recommend that.
Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/08/2016, 05:59 AMSo Bonk 3 have a two player mode? Gotta check that one out thanks!
Yeah I think it plays really well in 2 player, I find some platform games don't. Generally it's thought of as inferior compared to the first two games, but I really like the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

SignOfZeta

Of course I recommend Bomberman 93 and 94 more than anything, but also I'm going to throw out a weird one nobody mentions; Formation Soccer On J-League, a HuCARD from 1994.

Yeah, it's sports, but it's genuinly fun. The control is great and since its soccer it's easy to understand for anyone. This goes a long way for someone like me who has never played an NFL type game with any level of understanding whatsoever.
IMG

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: guest on 06/08/2016, 09:34 AMBonk 3, Battle Lode Runner, Parasol Stars, Double Dungeons, Strip Fighter 2 (good for a laugh), 1943, and Cadash.
For the record, I've actually played Strip Fighter a bit. Sadly the nudey girls don't show up if you're playing anything less than standard difficulty.

I own Super Street Fighter II CE and I can play it with my Cthulhu stick in 6-button mode, but in general fighting games generally suck on a standard turbo pad. But yeah, my friend and I would be playing with the same handicap sooo...

TheClash603

Moto Roader and Cadash are the games my friends most easily get into.

You can play co-op Yo Bro where one person uses the controller and the other sings the Beach Boys.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/08/2016, 09:15 PMYou can play co-op Yo Bro where one person uses the controller and the other sings the Beach Boys.
Depending on one's singing abilities, this might not be co-op.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

StarDust4Ever

Okay I got the Hucards laid out for tomorrow. All three Bomberns, Parasol Stars, and Bonk III (Everdrive). Any last minute suggestions, post here. Take care and good night.

drewbrim

Dungeon Explorer needs to be in your rotation tomorrow.  Truly cooperative and my favorite soundtrack of any HuCard.  Once you gain the ability to play discs then Mystic Formula should be high on your co-op priority of games to track down.....or burn.

StarDust4Ever

Yeah RPGs are hard to get into casually. Also tried out Salamander and others but my friend is horrible at SHMUPs. Unless player two can just jump in at any time. I'll need to investigate Salamander later for myself... :wink:

TurboXray

Sapphire. If you don't have this, and the setup for this, then you're not even ready yet for friends to come over.

drewbrim

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/11/2016, 01:09 AMYeah RPGs are hard to get into casually. Also tried out Salamander and others but my friend is horrible at SHMUPs. Unless player two can just jump in at any time. I'll need to investigate Salamander later for myself... :wink:
Nota traditional RPG....more like gauntlet with a story/purpose.  I wouldn't consider it as casual as a shooter or platformer, but it's casual enough for a multiple hour session.

spenoza

Splash Lake is also 2PS, if I recall. Rather fun, but also rather dangerous.

Gredler

bob

Final Match Tennis on PCE may be the best 16-Bit version of pong ever.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: TurboXray on 06/11/2016, 11:18 AMSapphire. If you don't have this, and the setup for this, then you're not even ready yet for friends to come over.
I thought I stated in my OP that I do not have a CD drive. [-(

Regardless, my friend came over and first we watched Dead Pool on BluRay. Awesome movie btw. Then we played Bomberman '93 Special (multiplayer only) for an hour or so, and Bonk III after that. Great matches overall though I think we both had more self kills than proper victories. In hindsight I should have suggested Parasol Stars as our second game since Bonk III got tiring going into the second stage. There are a lot of vertical areas which can be a pain to back track if one player falls down off screen. We did reach the Stage 2 boss before squandering our remaining lives. Overall not perfect multiplayer and probably better experience played solo. I own Bonk and Bonk II CIC but haven't really played Bonk III much on my Everdrive. After that ordeal my friend decided he had enough of Turbografx so we played a few online Mario Kart 8 wifi matches and a bit of Mario 3D World on my Wii-U before it was time for him to leave. Thank you all for the suggestions though. Next time he comes over we'll definitely be revisiting the Bomberman series games, and I'll try to sneak in a bit of Parasol Stars.  :P

I wish my fiance enjoyed games half as much as I do, then I'd at least get to experience local multiplayer more often... :-({|=

Quote from: Gredler on 06/11/2016, 07:54 PMHave I suggested Hit the Ice and TV Sports Hockey?
Quote from: gynt on 06/11/2016, 08:28 PMFinal Match Tennis on PCE may be the best 16-Bit version of pong ever.
I may give the sports titles a try sometime. I'll need to see how they play first in single player though. My friend wanted to play NFL Blitz again but alas my translucent smokey N64 is dismantled in preparation for an upcoming LED mod.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/08/2016, 04:55 PMOf course I recommend Bomberman 93 and 94 more than anything, but also I'm going to throw out a weird one nobody mentions; Formation Soccer On J-League, a HuCARD from 1994.

Yeah, it's sports, but it's genuinly fun. The control is great and since its soccer it's easy to understand for anyone. This goes a long way for someone like me who has never played an NFL type game with any level of understanding whatsoever.
Soccer games are loads of fun if done arcade style. Spent a lot of time with International Superstar Soccer on the SNES, and with Winning Eleven/PES PS1 onwards. Of course, if you don't have any interest whatsoever in the sport it might not be so fun.

I still need to try that game. Hopefully it will be as good as konami's game.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 06/12/2016, 01:31 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/08/2016, 04:55 PMOf course I recommend Bomberman 93 and 94 more than anything, but also I'm going to throw out a weird one nobody mentions; Formation Soccer On J-League, a HuCARD from 1994.

Soccer games are loads of fun if done arcade style. Spent a lot of time with International Superstar Soccer on the SNES, and with Winning Eleven/PES PS1 onwards. Of course, if you don't have any interest whatsoever in the sport it might not be so fun.

I still need to try that game. Hopefully it will be as good as konami's game.
I may be the biggest sports gamer on this forum, as sports games seem to constantly get shit on, but I quite enjoy many of them.  Hit The Ice is a game my friends and I had a ton of fun with too.

wiseau

Speaking of arcadey co-op sports games is there anything that's similar to tecmo bowl? Or is it all just all John Madden Football?

CrackTiger

Quote from: wiseau on 06/12/2016, 11:17 PMSpeaking of arcadey co-op sports games is there anything that's similar to tecmo bowl? Or is it all just all John Madden Football?
It's just Madden and TV Sports Football.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!