OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Horrible retro gaming stores

Started by Arbitern1, 06/26/2016, 03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbitern1

I live in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee. Nearest drive to a store that sells anything older than 360/PS3 is 45 minutes away from me. This store constantly has every single product priced over Ebay BIN prices. Is this a common thing for retro stores to do? I just love driving 45 minutes to see a bunch of neckbeard kids who reek playing magic. I stop in every 1-2 months, and have for the last few years. Never once have I  found a somewhat competitive deal. The entire staff consists of a bunch of stoner college kids that smoke vape pens all day.

Anyone else have terrible experiences with their local gaming stores? If this topic already has a thread feel free to merge it.

esteban

Quote from: Arbitern1 on 06/26/2016, 03:02 AMAnyone else have terrible experiences with their local gaming stores? If this topic already has a thread feel free to merge it.
Yes, sadly.

It is a sad time for many traditional brick-n-mortar stores: they have to pay rent/staff paychecks so prices tend to skew high. Plus, keeping inventory is an issue that has always plagued businesses (how do you keep a steady supply of popular titles in stock? what do you do with 90% of the stuff that just sits on the shelf?)

Then, even if a store sold stuff at a fair price, flippers come by and throw it back on eBay at inflated price tag.

The only way for a retro store to really thrive is to pray for Divine Assistance Now (DAN).

Apparently, DAN can be procured by tithing 10% of net sales.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Yeah, in many cases if you don't massively overcharge there's no way to keep product in stock. In this insane age of $35 Contra and $2000 Magical Chase it's even worse than usual.
IMG

CrackTiger

There is a local store run by a couple creeps who operated out of flea markets for years. For at least a decade now, they have had the same filthy worn FFV cart with the price of $110(?). The last time I checked the store for fun, I asked yet again and the price was still firm.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Medic_wheat

Retro game store over charging fun

IMG

IMG

IMG

Hard to see price but they are each around $140 for these AES games

IMG

Yes AES game are typically expensive but you cam get magician lord, nam 1975, super spy and riders for $260 as a set CIB. Saw a e bay seller for multiple sets for this price a few months ago.

Medic_wheat

However these few games looked interesting and I didn't feel compiled to look on eBay to see if it is cheaper else where.

IMG

IMG

IMG

Maybe I'll pick these up next month

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2016, 11:49 AMRetro game store over charging fun
I don't really see any of those Saturn prices to be out of line. Battle Monsters might be a little high but it's not obscene

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/26/2016, 12:59 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2016, 11:49 AMRetro game store over charging fun
I don't really see any of those Saturn prices to be out of line. Battle Monsters might be a little high but it's not obscene
The second set of pictures are prices I was ok with. Crypt Killer honestly not sure on current eBay prices.

SignOfZeta

Are those AES carts shrinkwraped? Did they come that way? I don't remember. I don't think they did though.
IMG

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2016, 01:31 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/26/2016, 12:59 PM
The second set of pictures are prices I was ok with. Crypt Killer honestly not sure on current eBay prices.
It's rarely even available on ebay. I would consider that a decent price

TheClash603

The fact they had that Sega Saturn stuff is impressive to me.  There is a local game shop by me with a few sports games in cracked cases, I seldom see Saturn in the wild.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/26/2016, 01:42 PMAre those AES carts shrinkwraped? Did they come that way? I don't remember. I don't think they did though.
No these are not shrink wrapped hard to tel with my cruddy pictures and angles but the cases are actually warped badly and don not close. Granted I couldn't answer if new AES games where shrink wrapped. I want to say no as a conversation of this short picked up a few years ago as soon members wanted to get their AES games VGA graded and the topic of sealed AES game will never happen due to the games not being shrink wrapped.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/26/2016, 02:38 PMThe fact they had that Sega Saturn stuff is impressive to me.  There is a local game shop by me with a few sports games in cracked cases, I seldom see Saturn in the wild.
That's one good thing about this store. In general their sega stuff more so 32X Saturn and Sega CD stuff never moves. I honestly think I am the only person in San Antonio who buys it. That blazing dragon has been on their shelf for nearly a year and a half.

I keep waiting to see if they will drop prices at all but no. If it doesn't move they don't care. The store is a Texas franchise and they can afford to sit on stock with it not moving. I typically wait for buy two get one free sales and such when buying from them.

Granted at times I snap things up when available if it's a game I have a hard time finding at a decent price. Off the top of my head list of sega games picked up at this store over the past two years:

Layer Section  CIB
Darius (Saturn) CIB
Saturn bomber-man Missing back cover to case half off sale
Star Wars arcade (32x) CIB
Three dirty dwarfs  CIB
Bomberman online missing front book half off sale
Illbleed (no case) half off sale
Bangai-O (dream cast) missing front cover half off sale
Street fighter alpha 3 (Dreamcast). CIB.

Granted for anythjng sega not CIB I wait for them to do a no disk art no case half off sale (if only they did that for loose cartridge games).

The ones that are CIB for the most part where all $24 or less.

SignOfZeta

You live in fucking San Antonio?

Jesus.
IMG

Medic_wheat

seieienbu

San Antonio, you say?  What store is it?  And have you ever been to Propoganda Palace?  On the one hand that place has a crazy good selection of stuff.  On the other hand it has crazy awful prices by and large.  If you've never been I'd recommend you check it out some time.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

crazydean

Honestly, I don't see how these stores even keep the doors open. Trade-in value is typically terrible and their prices are usually the same or more than ebay.

bob

what these stores also fail to realize is that you cant ask ebay prices in a small, concentrated area.
ebay reaches, at the least, the whole country.  the idiots that open these stores dont understand they are essentially catering to a small group of what, 25 people that live close enough to check out what they have.  maybe a passing visitor or two that are probably just going to walk in and face palm at the prices.

we have a store near me and every time i ask about TG16, they always say..."nah, when that stuff comes in it goes right to ebay, we cant sell it here".

the other problem is they get caught up in just the title of the game.   if a mint complete copy of a game sells for $50 on ebay, they will ask at least that much for a loose, tattered label, cart.

most of them are drug addicts anyway.

TheClash603

Quote from: crazydean on 06/27/2016, 08:53 AMHonestly, I don't see how these stores even keep the doors open. Trade-in value is typically terrible and their prices are usually the same or more than ebay.
I think game stores business model is a little different than we have discussed.  I think a game store is more of a giant billboard, advertising for trade ins.  These stores get a few big hits each month, which may go in the store, but are likely promptly flipped on ebay.  I spoke to a guy who runs a store near me and he bragged about getting 4 Earthbound copies for next to nothing this year.

The actual in store sales are mostly lower priced games they pay less than a dollar for and flip at $5 each, where shipping becomes prohibitive for an online sale.  Used console sales are also big, as mark up is fairly large.  Finally, the more casual retro gamer who walks in and pays $30 for Mario 3, because they just don't know better and have an itch to play the game after 20 years.

The average person on this forum likely isn't the target audience for most of these stores sadly, we are more niche than who they service.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2016, 07:29 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/26/2016, 06:37 PMYou live in fucking San Antonio?

Jesus.
yes
I'm from H-Town.

I hear there's some "retro gaming" stores around but I have no interest in visiting them.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/26/2016, 10:42 PMSan Antonio, you say?  What store is it?  And have you ever been to Propoganda Palace?  On the one hand that place has a crazy good selection of stuff.  On the other hand it has crazy awful prices by and large.  If you've never been I'd recommend you check it out some time.
Store I was in was "Game Over". They now have three locations in SA.

Shutters with a side of projectile vomite. PP you say?  Why yes I have been there. Never have I been in a store that was so:

1). Employees (owners/BBF) who were up their own ass

2) DIRTY

3) cramped space.

4) refuses to price a single item

They either pick a random number from the top of their own head or look at eBay the moment you ask

5) did I mention they are up their own ass?   

Seriously they have great stock. Which never moves as they ask INSAINE prices or refuse to sell certain items unless you buy in complete sets.

Example. Mega Man 1-6 CIB NES. They refuse to sell unless you buy all of them for I belive $5,000. And the boxes are not even in great shape mind you.

I swear I have more fun pretending I am a newbie gamer unaware of pricing then any other store. I comment on a game and instantly I am provided the owners opinin, recomendation, and told typically it's probably priced outside my budget.

Medic_wheat

Found some old pictures of PP when I first visited maybe two years ago.

IMG

IMG

Very few examples of stuff they had priced. In fact I did go back there a few months ago.  These two games were still there prices on their had not changed but they said they would have it re check the current going rate.

IMG

IMG

IMG

You can no longer look through their Saturn and sega CD stuff they placed so many display cases to bare you from approaching you have to almost walk side ways to view that corner of the store. Claimed people were stealing which I cal BS. If a store the size of an apartment bedroom can get stuff stolen with two employees at both ends the. You have bigger issues.

Gypsy

Quote from: gynt on 06/27/2016, 09:35 AMthe other problem is they get caught up in just the title of the game.   if a mint complete copy of a game sells for $50 on ebay, they will ask at least that much for a loose, tattered label, cart.
This is a very real problem, not just with these stores but idiots on Ebay/Amazon too.

So many of these stores just come and go near me. I feel no sympathy for them if they can't figure out how to make it work. The one exception was a pretty awesome store that opened several years ago and was purposefully pricing things well/under Ebay. I bought there quite a bit before a regional chain bought the place out, turned it into an "outlet store" (ie putting our garbage stock here to rot) and then just shut the place down within a few months.

There is one store a couple towns over that has lots of $10-15 games priced at $60-70 in store. They were pretty reasonable for the first few years after they opened too, but it's just a cesspool there now. I don't think I've set foot in there in over 4 years. The last time I was in there and I mentioned some of the really overpriced games I got some spiel about how their average sale is under $10 as if that matters at all and I was just completely done with them at that point. I'd wonder how they stay in business, but I know it's due to idiotic college kids.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/27/2016, 09:57 AMI think game stores business model is a little different than we have discussed.  I think a game store is more of a giant billboard, advertising for trade ins.  These stores get a few big hits each month, which may go in the store, but are likely promptly flipped on ebay.  I spoke to a guy who runs a store near me and he bragged about getting 4 Earthbound copies for next to nothing this year.

The actual in store sales are mostly lower priced games they pay less than a dollar for and flip at $5 each, where shipping becomes prohibitive for an online sale.  Used console sales are also big, as mark up is fairly large.  Finally, the more casual retro gamer who walks in and pays $30 for Mario 3, because they just don't know better and have an itch to play the game after 20 years.

The average person on this forum likely isn't the target audience for most of these stores sadly, we are more niche than who they service.
This seems pretty spot on. The trade-in part really rings true. Most of these stores size people up when making a trade-in buy offer, I've seen it many times before.

Consoles are big money for them like you say. A place here does 25% off used games for a system the day you buy a used console. That really helps push games out the door.

The nostalgia thing is so so real as well. I've seen people snap buy an NES with Mario/Duck Hunt and a Zapper for $90-100 + tax and not flinch.

Medic_wheat

IMG

Both side now have a display case with the end shelf also having a display shelf makes a opening about 5 feet in with to walk through with stacks of NES and SNES covering one display shelf on top baring you from viewing their boxed NES, SNES and N64 stuff.

IMG

Price?  $250 a few months ago. They have part 2 but that's a $600 game.

Medic_wheat

IMG

Best price in town.

Keep in mind these were all taken two years ago. Since then they removed any game that might of had a price on it and now purely go off the top of their head.

So yeah. I have been to the possibly infamous Propaganda Palace.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 11:14 AMPics
$100 for Lunar is this real life?

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 11:14 AMVery few examples of stuff they had priced. In fact I did go back there a few months ago.  These two games were still there prices on their had not changed but they said they would have it re check the current going rate.
Yeah what a complete crock of shit.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 11:17 AMPrice?  $250 a few months ago. They have part 2 but that's a $600 game.
ROFL.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/27/2016, 11:17 AM
Quote from: gynt on 06/27/2016, 09:35 AMthe other problem is they get caught up in just the title of the game.   if a mint complete copy of a game sells for $50 on ebay, they will ask at least that much for a loose, tattered label, cart.
This is a very real problem, not just with these stores but idiots on Ebay/Amazon too.

So many of these stores just come and go near me. I feel no sympathy for them if they can't figure out how to make it work. The one exception was a pretty awesome store that opened several years ago and was purposefully pricing things well/under Ebay. I bought there quite a bit before a regional chain bought the place out, turned it into an "outlet store" (ie putting our garbage stock here to rot) and then just shut the place down within a few months.

There is one store a couple towns over that has lots of $10-15 games priced at $60-70 in store. They were pretty reasonable for the first few years after they opened too, but it's just a cesspool there now. I don't think I've set foot in there in over 4 years. The last time I was in there and I mentioned some of the really overpriced games I got some spiel about how their average sale is under $10 as if that matters at all and I was just completely done with them at that point. I'd wonder how they stay in business, but I know it's due to idiotic college kids.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 06/27/2016, 09:57 AMI think game stores business model is a little different than we have discussed.  I think a game store is more of a giant billboard, advertising for trade ins.  These stores get a few big hits each month, which may go in the store, but are likely promptly flipped on ebay.  I spoke to a guy who runs a store near me and he bragged about getting 4 Earthbound copies for next to nothing this year.

This seems pretty spot on. The trade-in part really rings true. Most of these stores size people up when making a trade-in buy offer, I've seen it many times before.

Consoles are big money for them like you say. A place here does 25% off used games for a system the day you buy a used console. That really helps push games out the door.

The nostalgia thing is so so real as well. I've seen people snap buy an NES with Mario/Duck Hunt and a Zapper for $90-100 + tax and not flinch.
This is true. Granted now the more franchised based retro game stores from what I have seen almost 100% push emulation systems like the Retron 5 and only casually push a original system.

They usually lead in with "well you can get the NES which we sell for $120 with a seven day warrenty which we will either swap out the item or if we do not have it provide you trade in creadit or for $250 you can get the Retron 5 which plays almost Eveyting we sell here. "

"No it doesn't play N64 but we have some systems for sale. How about this black one for $150 comes with all the hook ups and one controllor (usually 3rd party)" and you can buy the extra ram for $50 new (third party) or original for $65 which some game require to play (only three in the entire library but what ever)."

So that will be $250 for the Retron $150 for the N64 with ram $50. Plus tax. Carry the two.

Oh wait did you want a game?

We have N64 Zelda gold cart loose for $75 and I'd recommend Mario Bros 3 for the NES loose that's $34.

Never try and push any sega lol

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 11:26 AMThis is true. Granted now the more franchised based retro game stores from what I have seen almost 100% push emulation systems like the Retron 5 and only casually push a original system.

They usually lead in with "well you can get the NES which we sell for $120 with a seven day warrenty which we will either swap out the item or if we do not have it provide you trade in creadit or for $250 you can get the Retron 5 which plays almost Eveyting we sell here. "

"No it doesn't play N64 but we have some systems for sale. How about this black one for $150 comes with all the hook ups and one controllor (usually 3rd party)" and you can buy the extra ram for $50 new (third party) or original for $65 which some game require to play (only three in the entire library but what ever)."

So that will be $250 for the Retron $150 for the N64 with ram $50. Plus tax. Carry the two.

Oh wait did you want a game?

We have N64 Zelda gold cart loose for $75 and I'd recommend Mario Bros 3 for the NES loose that's $34.

Never try and push any sega lol
The stores by me are downright honest in comparison to this. Though the one I haven't been to in years may be about on par with this crap now, if they've adjusted for inflation.  :dance:

SignOfZeta

Something that needs to be said is that many stores operate on a model often found in comic book stores and pawn shops and all sorts of other places. That is, those high prices don't really mean all that much since most if not all people getting those games are paying at least partially with trade.

If you had some guy bring in 100 Mario Duck Hunts in and wanted to trade it for Dracula X...that would kind suck, wouldn't it? Therefore instead of charging $70 for DX charge $300. That way at least the guy will have to give you 1000 copies of NBA Live 2001 for PS2.

It doesn't just suck to shop at these places, it also sucks to work there. People are scamming you constantly from my experience, and when I was in this game there weren't any pirate games yet. It must be a total shit storm now.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Trades are a thing. A few months ago I traded in some doubles and what not towards Jetson's on the NES.

A few weeks ago I asked one of the managers who can do trade I say Game Over what the trade in creadit would be for the Starfox Weekend Carpitotion cart (just checking as I have thought about off loading It).

He says "let me do some research and types into his computer.  A moment later. "Yeah I'd say around $6-8 bucks as we would only be able to sell it for say $40-60. Does it have the box?

I looked at him for a moment in disbelief. Then I respond. "Oh no it's not the same as the starfox game it's the weekend volition cart. Maybe you got them mixed up".

Them the manager shoots back with. "What's the difference?" 

I didn't feel like explaining and left it with well hey how about this you get a competition cart and I'll give you $40 for it loose same if you get the donkey kong condition cart as well.

I wonder if he ever realized what I was talking about.

crazydean

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 04:05 PM"Yeah I'd say around $6-8 bucks as we would only be able to sell it for say $40-60.
That's one helluva profit margin.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 06/27/2016, 04:13 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 04:05 PM"Yeah I'd say around $6-8 bucks as we would only be able to sell it for say $40-60.
Yeah, which is why whenever you see a video game store employee driving down the road it's usually a Roller or a S Class. They only dress like slobs to fool people.

But seriously, this store in particular clearly sucks ass. Most stores aim to buy at half of what they sell it for. Even then it's not something they open discuss with people very often.
IMG

seieienbu

I live in Dallas or near enough.  In early 2015, there were 5 retro gaming stores in about a 3 mile radius north of town.  One of them, a Play 'n Trade, had a copy of Albert Odyssey in a beat up case that wanted $150 for it.  They'd had it for years, too.  Every so often I'd go hit up the used game stores to see if there was anything I wanted.  At that particular store I would always ask about the game, point out that it had been there for years, offer $60 for it.  The highest asking price on ebay was always around $130 at the time, and it was rare so they had to charge more.  The owner would scoff at my offer of $60.  The last time there he said "This is a business.  We're here to make money."  I countered with "How much money has that game made you in the last 3 years?"

That store is now gone as are 3 others.  I hear that the one that's left, an FX Game Exchange, seems to remain open more due to the weekly Smash Bros tournaments than actual game sales. 

There's a Game Over up here now and I like the store more than I like FX, Play N Trade, CGX, or whatever the old one was.  However, it's still generally too expensive to buy games at any brick and mortar store unless you like Sega games.  If you still want some Genesis stuff?  Prices are pretty good still.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/27/2016, 03:24 PMSomething that needs to be said is that many stores operate on a model often found in comic book stores and pawn shops and all sorts of other places. That is, those high prices don't really mean all that much since most if not all people getting those games are paying at least partially with trade.

If you had some guy bring in 100 Mario Duck Hunts in and wanted to trade it for Dracula X...that would kind suck, wouldn't it? Therefore instead of charging $70 for DX charge $300. That way at least the guy will have to give you 1000 copies of NBA Live 2001 for PS2.

It doesn't just suck to shop at these places, it also sucks to work there. People are scamming you constantly from my experience, and when I was in this game there weren't any pirate games yet. It must be a total shit storm now.
Fair points.

The really smart stores just don't even take in the NBA Live 2001s of the gaming world. That will piss some people off though, to be sure. The main store I go to (I prefer to buy offline as long as the price is close to what I'm looking to pay and not inflated) is like this. That store was actually losing money the first two years or so, but is very successful now.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/27/2016, 04:45 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 06/27/2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah, which is why whenever you see a video game store employee driving down the road it's usually a Roller or a S Class. They only dress like slobs to fool people.

But seriously, this store in particular clearly sucks ass. Most stores aim to buy at half of what they sell it for. Even then it's not something they open discuss with people very often.
Yeah it's a pretty extreme example. There is one place in my area that gives 10% for their cash price, but everywhere else is typically more reasonable than that. The best one is around 40-45% cash on what I'd call "good" items/stuff that can actually move locally.

Half is really around the best these places can do imo, they have lots of overhead and have to push quite a bit out the door to profit. It's a convenience that these stores offer anyway, most of the people on here aren't going to be the type to trade-in games to a store anyway. I know I'd never trade in anything worth much, but cheap doubles tend to be worthwhile. Easier to not deal with selling online for cheaper games. If say a game is $10 shipped on Ebay and it's going to be sold for $10-12 at the local store I'm good with getting $5.50-6 in credit for it instead of grinding out $6 or so actual money off Ebay. This goes back to the comic book shop comment actually. That was pretty spot on.

Edit: @seieienbu: The sad thing is, instead of taking a reasonable offer on it and getting some money out of stock that has been there for years, most of these stores would rather just have it sit forever and go out of business. Seen it a few times locally and then a bank handled the assets last time and sold everything for a song. There are a couple stores in my area that are a bit willing to haggle. Nothing too crazy but I've got some games for the prices I wanted that way.

Psycho Punch

A retro game store is a dumb ass concept and any store of its' kind is destined to fail in the first 3 years. There actually ARE some ideas that can make them viable but I'm not sharing it :P, if they can't figure it out by themselves and decide just to sell overpriced old stock forever they know shit about retro gaming and deserve to die.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 06:02 PMA retro game store is a dumb ass concept and any store of its' kind is destined to fail in the first 3 years. There actually ARE some ideas that can make them viable but I'm not sharing it :P, if they can't figure it out by themselves and decide just to sell overpriced old stock forever they know shit about retro gaming and deserve to die.
Yeah I'm not sure how viable retro only is either. Almost all of the stores here do sealed product as well, with some of them doing sealed tcgs/ccgs in addition to that.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 04:05 PMTrades are a thing. A few months ago I traded in some doubles and what not towards Jetson's on the NES.

A few weeks ago I asked one of the managers who can do trade I say Game Over what the trade in creadit would be for the Starfox Weekend Carpitotion cart (just checking as I have thought about off loading It).

He says "let me do some research and types into his computer.  A moment later. "Yeah I'd say around $6-8 bucks as we would only be able to sell it for say $40-60. Does it have the box?

I looked at him for a moment in disbelief. Then I respond. "Oh no it's not the same as the starfox game it's the weekend volition cart. Maybe you got them mixed up".

Them the manager shoots back with. "What's the difference?" 

I didn't feel like explaining and left it with well hey how about this you get a competition cart and I'll give you $40 for it loose same if you get the donkey kong condition cart as well.

I wonder if he ever realized what I was talking about. 
I'm having a hard time myself...  :P  Stupid phones...

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 06:02 PMA retro game store is a dumb ass concept and any store of its' kind is destined to fail in the first 3 years. There actually ARE some ideas that can make them viable but I'm not sharing it :P, if they can't figure it out by themselves and decide just to sell overpriced old stock forever they know shit about retro gaming and deserve to die.
There is a local store with a super enthusiastic owner who fronts it as a repair place...

Basically, kids (parents) will bring in any system in need of repair and he will usually fix it for a reasonable cost...  That seems to be his bread and butter, as it keeps people coming back.

He also makes a point of opening and cleaning every cartridge and system he takes in.

The store is full of games - some are really overpriced, but most are not... he is no fool, he considers it his collection, and he enjoys being at work everyday. 

I feel bad when I go there, because he seldom has anything I am looking for, but I have no problems recommending him to others.

jtucci31

My local store just got some Mega CD games and acted like they'd never seen them before in their lives.

Time Gal-$65
Lunar-$95

Pretty sure those are a bit high.

They also have a TV above the retro games that runs clips of YouTube personalities and shit like the unnecessary podcast, completionist, etc. It's bad

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 07:04 PMMy local store just got some Mega CD games and acted like they'd never seen them before in their lives.

Time Gal-$65

They also have a TV above the retro games that runs clips of YouTube personalities and shit like the unnecessary podcast, completionist, etc. It's bad
That price for time gal is outrageous it's a fairly common game that shouldn't be expensive at all.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

[/quote]
I'm having a hard time myself...  :P  Stupid phones...[/quote]
It's all good

90% phone 8% my spelling 2% my fat fingering the keyboard.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 07:04 PMMy local store just got some Mega CD games and acted like they'd never seen them before in their lives.

Time Gal-$65
Lunar-$95

Cancer: The Store
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

jtucci31

I didn't know the prices off the top of my head but when I checked ebay just now and hearing you guys, I'm glad I'm not the crazy one. I should go back and offer $15 for both games because those games will sit behind glass for a long time. That is, unless the right kind of idiot comes along.

Really sucks because if Time Gal were way cheaper I would have snatched it up

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 08:47 PMI didn't know the prices off the top of my head but when I checked ebay just now and hearing you guys, I'm glad I'm not the crazy one. I should go back and offer $15 for both games because those games will sit behind glass for a long time. That is, unless the right kind of idiot comes along.

Really sucks because if Time Gal were way cheaper I would have snatched it up
I could have sworn Time Gal was $45 CIB just two years ago. Maybe one year ago.

jtucci31

Mega CD? Or are you talking about Sega CD?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 09:14 PMMega CD? Or are you talking about Sega CD?
Probably from the UK. there hey called the Genesis the mega drive, mega cd, although I think the 32X was just that.

Unless it was called the mega 32X

CGQuarterly

Have you *played* Time Gal?  That game blows.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2016, 10:57 PMHave you *played* Time Gal?  That game blows.
I tend to enjoy those animated quick time games.

Time gal being some what unresponsive at times is still enjoyable.

jtucci31

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2016, 10:57 PMHave you *played* Time Gal?  That game blows.
Specifically that port or in general? Always looked kind of cool to me.

johnnykonami

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/27/2016, 11:17 PM
I tend to enjoy those animated quick time games.

Time gal being some what unresponsive at times is still enjoyable.
I also kinda like Time Gal, which all comes from a place of having grown up in awe of Dragon's Lair.