RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Looking to sell my Camp California. Any idea on value?

Started by iretrogamer, 06/27/2016, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iretrogamer

Hey guys,

I'm looking to part ways with my Camp California for the TurboDuo. I'm not a completionist by any means and I recently realized that the value / rarity of this title has really jumped up in recent years (along with general Turbo value).

I was wondering if any of you could help me in determining a value. It recently sold for a whopping $650 with 23 people bidding on eBay. WOW. Still, I'm uncertain if that is on the high end or even low end of the spectrum.

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/dQwxS

I'm strongly considering listing this on Ebay. I'm not a price gouger, but in all honestly, my Dad passed away back in 2007, and this is part of what he left behind. He and I collected games in the 90s hardcore.

I am open to a really fair trade offer, as I'm still an active collector (still many Turbo games I'm missing that I'd love to own).

Anyways guys, I appreciate any feedback you can give me on determining a value. Thank you.

esteban

Just list it on eBay and provide us a link so we can eagerly watch it blossom to $$$.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

syphic

Probably shill bidding. I paid $150 for mine last year at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Minty shape.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

iretrogamer

Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2016, 07:01 PMJust list it on eBay and provide us a link so we can eagerly watch it blossom to $$$.
Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122028925974

If you guys know anyone who might be interested, please PM / let them know!

Thanks guys.

exodus

I bought this for two bucks back in the day. it has no manual though, so I can't rake in the dough!

bob

ugh, a reserve.
I never bid on auctions with a reserve.  I always assume the reserve is like $10 less than an absurd Buy it Now.  Or I just think sellers are seeing where it goes without having to commit to the sale.  Either way, reserves stink.
The 600+ auction had to be a shill or a joke or a conspiracy.  that is just stupid.
I paid too much for mine at $150 about a year ago.  Yeah, I can admit when I do bad.  lol

iretrogamer

Quote from: gynt on 06/27/2016, 09:48 PMugh, a reserve.
I never bid on auctions with a reserve.  I always assume the reserve is like $10 less than an absurd Buy it Now.  Or I just think sellers are seeing where it goes without having to commit to the sale.  Either way, reserves stink.
The 600+ auction had to be a shill or a joke or a conspiracy.  that is just stupid.
I paid too much for mine at $150 about a year ago.  Yeah, I can admit when I do bad.  lol
Well reserves are also there to protect the seller from letting something go for too little. The reserve I set is several hundred below the Buy It Now price. I definitely want to be fair, which is why I asked for feedback here.

bob

Quote from: iretrogamer on 06/27/2016, 10:12 PM
Well reserves are also there to protect the seller from letting something go for too little. The reserve I set is several hundred below the Buy It Now price. I definitely want to be fair, which is why I asked for feedback here.
Oh, I understand.  but if you don't want to let it go for too little, why not just start it where you are comfortable selling for?  It's not you per se, I just question the point of reserves.  I know some people think starting it low will entice bidders, but the reserve is a red flag that I think most people won't bother with.  I hate waiting for auctions to end as it is.  so being the high bidder and not getting the item is a time waster.

iretrogamer

Quote from: gynt on 06/27/2016, 10:20 PM
Quote from: iretrogamer on 06/27/2016, 10:12 PM
Oh, I understand.  but if you don't want to let it go for too little, why not just start it where you are comfortable selling for?  It's not you per se, I just question the point of reserves.  I know some people think starting it low will entice bidders, but the reserve is a red flag that I think most people won't bother with.  I hate waiting for auctions to end as it is.  so being the high bidder and not getting the item is a time waster.
That's a good point. Well we'll see what happens. If I end the auction prematurely I'm out 10 bucks (cost of putting on a reserve). I think I'll just see what happens.

bob

wow, they charge $10 for a reserve?  I guess ebay is in the appraisal business now.

LostFlunky

I sold mine in 2012 for $65. It was mint...  I thought I was gouging because I bought it from Mindrec about 10 years earlier for $50...

exodus

well, if they ever played it, I'm sure they felt appropriately gouged.

esteban

Quote from: iretrogamer on 06/27/2016, 09:26 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2016, 07:01 PMJust list it on eBay and provide us a link so we can eagerly watch it blossom to $$$.

Thanks guys.
Thank you.

I am eagerly watching the auction.

UPDATE: I don't see the limited edition bonus soundtrack  for Camp California (this is an essential item for maximizing $$$)...

IMG

A "Beach Boys"-branded papier-mâché surfboard containing: Camp California game + soundtrack = Mega$$$
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

iretrogamer

Quote from: esteban on 06/28/2016, 06:47 AM
Quote from: iretrogamer on 06/27/2016, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys.
Thank you.

I am eagerly watching the auction.

UPDATE: I don't see the limited edition bonus soundtrack  for Camp California (this is an essential item for maximizing $$$)...

IMG

A "Beach Boys"-branded papier-mâché surfboard containing: Camp California game + soundtrack = Mega$$$
Haha I wish I owned it. I never did, but remember seeing it advertised on back of the manual. Big Beach Boys fan here. Would have been a great companion piece.

NecroPhile

$650 is definitely not a normal price for this one.  There's been others sold in the last year, mostly ending in the $200-250 range, and I don't see it tripling in value in the last month.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

sirhcman

Gentlegamer

Post it on ebay with an opening bid of $0.99, no reserve, at the end you will magically have the value.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

iretrogamer

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/28/2016, 10:54 AMPost it on ebay with an opening bid of $0.99, no reserve, at the end you will magically have the value.
Should I end the one I have up? Is it better to do it this way?

iretrogamer

OK so I want to encourage more people to bid, so I've set the reserve price down to $50. Once someone bid $50 or more, there will be no more reserve.

Appreciate the feedback from others.

CrackTiger

Whether you are comfortable with a minimum of $50, $100 or $200, you are much better off with that as a reserve-free minimum bid. Reserves turn off too many bidders who would have been happy to bid what the secret minimum actually was.

If the game has sentimental value, then I would hang onto it. Games with sentimental value that you've had for decades are priceless and irreplaceable.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

It's true. The true idiots will happily bid beyond the reserve. They are buying $650 Camp Californias, they clearly care nothing of value whatsoever, the opposite in fact.
IMG

BigusSchmuck

TheClash603

Auctions are funny because all you need is two guys who REALLY want a game for it to get bid up to a well beyond historical price.  Typically what happens is the market then is flooded with copies after the new high price was hit, as people want to cash in on their game that has become rarez.  However, once the competitive bidder is out of the game and the market gets flooded, the final prices revert back to the historical average or somewhat below.  I have seen this happen countless times.

HailingTheThings

IMG

crazydean

Thanks for your contribution to this thread, HailingTheThings.

Anyway, reserves seem to always be set way too high. I don't even bother bidding on an item with a reserve.

iretrogamer

Quote from: crazydean on 06/28/2016, 06:10 PMThanks for your contribution to this thread, HailingTheThings.

Anyway, reserves seem to always be set way too high. I don't even bother bidding on an item with a reserve.
Well the reserve is gone now. Thanks again everyone for the great and friendly input.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: crazydean on 06/28/2016, 06:10 PMThanks for your contribution to this thread, HailingTheThings.

Sarcasm at its best.
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ToyMachine78

I'll give you 9.99. That's what a "best of" Beach Boys CD is worth.

iretrogamer

This one is ending today! Celebrate America's birthday with Camp California! :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122028925974

CrackTiger

Looks like you'll get a decent price for it, so an auction was likely the best way to go.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

drewbrim

geise

LOL.  People spending money on bad games.  I tried this game back in the day and never wanted to touch it ever again.  This copy will be back on ebay in no time.

xcrement5x

Crazy monies!  I guess I'll write this one off then for me at this point and stick to CDR. 

Btw, iretrogamer I've seen your posts on Sega16 (assuming you're the same guy) and you do a bang up job on the vids.  I loved the one of the guy with the epic DC collection and that crazy kiosk/display he rescued from a flea market and restored.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

iretrogamer

Quote from: guest on 07/07/2016, 01:45 PMCrazy monies!  I guess I'll write this one off then for me at this point and stick to CDR. 

Btw, iretrogamer I've seen your posts on Sega16 (assuming you're the same guy) and you do a bang up job on the vids.  I loved the one of the guy with the epic DC collection and that crazy kiosk/display he rescued from a flea market and restored.
Thanks man!

Bernie

I was never into that game, but congrats on the sale.  :)