The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

Nintendo NES mini coming!

Started by Digi.k, 07/14/2016, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gredler

I agree with the idea that this will be their typical Nintendo quality hardware. When was the last time you saw a farmed out Nintendo hardware of shitty quality?  What indication have they given other than not announcing a Japan version and release?

I have been wondering, are retro games in a boom in Japan like they obviously are here and in the EU? Maybe Nintendo is recognizing a untapped market here and is putting out their feeeeelers with this thing like the miitomo app did for mobile games.

I'm surprised no on has mentioned this, but I imagine this will sell more than the wii u, and I wonder what implications all of this has on the NX... maybe this IS the NX?! Gasp.

Also, imagine if Nintendo bought the Hudson and konami up rights then made a turbo version of this with the entire library on it. Wet dream material there lol

Gentlegamer

At least I'll have a compatible NES controller to play Shovel Knight on Wii U.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

BigusSchmuck

My thoughts...
If it is indeed emulation, I would think it would be cheaper just to get a Raspberry PI, load a bunch of roms on a sd card and be done with it. It's cool that Nintendo is releasing the mini themselves, however if it turns out garbage like those Sega all in ones ugh...

esadajr

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/15/2016, 12:17 PMMy thoughts...
If it is indeed emulation, I would think it would be cheaper just to get a Raspberry PI, load a bunch of roms on a sd card and be done with it. It's cool that Nintendo is releasing the mini themselves, however if it turns out garbage like those Sega all in ones ugh...
Well, you would have to get the Pi, the (nice) case for it and the controller and set the thing from scratch. The so called $35 computer always costs more than $35.
Gaming since 1985

SignOfZeta

Why does everything have to be about cost? Maybe some people don't want to fuck with all that shit. Maybe they want quality and a warentee and a nice frontend. A NES pad without having to solder anything. Maybe they want a case.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esadajr on 07/15/2016, 01:06 PM
Well, you would have to get the Pi, the (nice) case for it and the controller and set the thing from scratch. The so called $35 computer always costs more than $35.
I bought a bundle that came with the pi, a.c. adapter, WiFi dongle, HDMI cable, case, and sd card for $70 I think. Plus I bought a snes usb controller, and a handheld wireles qwerty keyboard.

To get the whole pi setup will be as much, possibly more than this nes box, but at least it emulates everything up to n64.   And it's extremely portable.

And the setup isn't that bad either. 45mins top.The RetroPi UI is pretty nice too.

SignOfZeta

If this thing is indeed Wii-based then it too runs everything up to N64. It's expandability, legit or by hackery, could be huge.
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 02:16 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 07/15/2016, 01:06 PM
I bought a bundle that came with the pi, a.c. adapter, WiFi dongle, HDMI cable, case, and sd card for $70 I think. Plus I bought a snes usb controller, and a handheld wireles qwerty keyboard.

To get the whole pi setup will be as much, possibly more than this nes box, but at least it emulates everything up to n64.   And it's extremely portable.

And the setup isn't that bad either. 45mins top.The RetroPi UI is pretty nice too.
Danm I really need to build one of those and put it on my hdtv :/

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 02:16 PMbut at least it emulates everything up to n64.
No way that thing emulates a Saturn :)

SignOfZeta

Kotaku has apparently talked to Nintendo and confirmed that there is no expansion planned or even possible. We'll see about the last part but it looks like this game list is meant to last you, which it probably will. That explains why all Marios and Zeldas are on it.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 02:53 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 02:16 PMbut at least it emulates everything up to n64.
No way that thing emulates a Saturn :)
You've never heard of SaturPi? It's awesome!

Medic_wheat

I don't think they made me want the system

TR0N

Quote from: Gredler on 07/15/2016, 03:01 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 07/15/2016, 02:45 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 12:06 AMContra should be included before Super C.

What's missing and included makes it look like they plan to re-release it each year with a different set of 3rd party games mixed in.
I'm puzzled by that as well no contra but super c instead,why not both !? Then again contra never came to the virtual console either.I wonder what konami problem is for licensing that game out.
I am ignorant about this but I assume they had a budget and had to secure licenses, and for some reason I think the cost of super C vs "contra" lol.

Fucking konami, that's who I blame.
It's probably is the cost and konami wants more money so nintendo ops for super c instead.So yeah f#ck konami ! It doesn't matter to me much since i have contra for the famicom all ready.Still not good,any one that's wants to play contra a legit way i know the nes version has become pricey.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/15/2016, 05:16 PM
Not even our shit tier VHS deck that ate 1 out of 3 cassettes had an image quality this bad lol.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2016, 11:42 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/15/2016, 05:16 PM
Not even our shit tier VHS deck that ate 1 out of 3 cassettes had an image quality this bad lol.
Das.

Güd.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/15/2016, 03:58 PMKotaku has apparently talked to Nintendo and confirmed that there is no expansion planned or even possible. We'll see about the last part but it looks like this game list is meant to last you, which it probably will. That explains why all Marios and Zeldas are on it.
Ben Heck is cracking his knuckles right now.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Medic_wheat

NES-Mini-IGN1.webp
NES-Mini-IGN2.webp
NES-Mini-IGN3.webp

Medic_wheat

Seeing those pictures the only nitpic I am thinking of (apart from not accepting physical media like a DS sized cart) is the controllers.

The cored length and light weight of the system seems like wireless controllers would have been best.

Or maybe I just wish new NES wireless controllers existed first party that I could in turn use with the NES USB wireless reciver

Digi.k

I pre ordered.  They gone live now in the UK

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/21/2016, 04:45 PMSeeing those pictures the only nitpic I am thinking of (apart from not accepting physical media like a DS sized cart) is the controllers.

The cored length and light weight of the system seems like wireless controllers would have been best.

Or maybe I just wish new NES wireless controllers existed first party that I could in turn use with the NES USB wireless reciver
Speak for yourself. Cordless means waiting for batteries to charge. It means pairing. Being wired means they just work, and if I want to use them on another system I just plug it in.  Also, Wii compatibility is...quite possibly worth more than anything else in this set.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 07:28 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/21/2016, 04:45 PMSeeing those pictures the only nitpic I am thinking of (apart from not accepting physical media like a DS sized cart) is the controllers.

Speak for yourself. Cordless means waiting for batteries to charge. It means pairing. Being wired means they just work, and if I want to use them on another system I just plug it in.  Also, Wii compatibility is...quite possibly worth more than anything else in this set.
I actually brought that up (using the controllor for the Wii and WiiU one page one. But I agree with that versatility. So for you. It's at most a $10 pitches for the stand alone controllor provided you do not have a need or desire to buy the system itself.

Digi.k

folks are complaining about the length of the controller cable but I think it is alright.

1+ meters ??
IMG

SignOfZeta

I once thought "hand me the remote" was the laziest sentence possible but "the cord on my video game controller is too short" is...maybe not lazier, but it is more pathetic. Sit on the floor like when you were a kid. Not only is it a more authentic experience but you could probably use the stretch. I mean...look at you. You're only afraid of sitting down there because you're not excited about how hard it would be to stand up again and flop your fat ass onto the couch. That reluctance is proof that this is the very sort of exercise you need.

I guess mainstream gamers have probably been wireless so long that this is going to be a huge thing to complain about. They've probably designed their TV space in such a way that using short controller cords is as "impossible" as finding room for a CRT. (Finding room for a 8 foot HDTV however is seldom a problem.)  Since I still play old games all the time I don't even notice.

Come to think of it, some of you dicks are RetroGaming on screens so bright and so huge that it's probably super uncomfortable if not medically unadvisable to sit less than 10 feet away. Luckily options for extending HDMI and USB power are inumerable so really this is only a problem for the really helpless.
IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 08:40 PMI once thought "hand me the remote" was the laziest sentence possible but "the cord on my video game controller is too short" is...maybe not lazier, but it is more pathetic. Sit on the floor like when you were a kid.
Will-Smith-NES.webp

Medic_wheat

I'll be sure to stretch before I retro game Zeta. I wouldn't want to pull a muscle.

IMG

However, considering the NES controllor I have currently has CRAZY length between my temporary set up and the spare couch up stairs I think I am good.

Gredler

My only issue with cords on my controllers is my dogs. they have no idea what they're doing, and often will cross the cord path and all hell breaks loose.

And about sitting on the floor, fuck that. I am playing games to relax, not to pretend I'm limber and in shape anymore, I'm getting to old for that shit.

SignOfZeta

If you genuinly are too out of shape to sit on a floor then maybe you should take my joke advice for real. Sitting on the floor is not supposed to be a test of strength but...maybe it should be?
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 08:40 PMI once thought "hand me the remote" was the laziest sentence possible but "the cord on my video game controller is too short" is...maybe not lazier, but it is more pathetic. Sit on the floor like when you were a kid. Not only is it a more authentic experience but you could probably use the stretch. I mean...look at you. You're only afraid of sitting down there because you're not excited about how hard it would be to stand up again and flop your fat ass onto the couch. That reluctance is proof that this is the very sort of exercise you need.

I guess mainstream gamers have probably been wireless so long that this is going to be a huge thing to complain about. They've probably designed their TV space in such a way that using short controller cords is as "impossible" as finding room for a CRT. (Finding room for a 8 foot HDTV however is seldom a problem.)  Since I still play old games all the time I don't even notice.

Come to think of it, some of you dicks are RetroGaming on screens so bright and so huge that it's probably super uncomfortable if not medically unadvisable to sit less than 10 feet away. Luckily options for extending HDMI and USB power are inumerable so really this is only a problem for the really helpless.
Fuck you, guy. Things have changed. The people buying this likely have 46" TV's or larger. Sure, back in the day when NES was new, most TV's were under 30", but now, it's a whole new ballgame. Many families buying this, plan on hooking it up to a screen larger than 50". This means that said family will be sitting more than 2 meters from the tele. Get over yourself, modern families aren't the same as 1990's Japan.

TR0N

Nintendo just released a promo for it.
Long as it doesn't end up like the neo-geo x or the firecore genesis i'm sold.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Quote from: crazydean on 07/21/2016, 09:56 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 08:40 PMI once thought "hand me the remote" was the laziest sentence possible but "the cord on my video game controller is too short" is...maybe not lazier, but it is more pathetic. Sit on the floor like when you were a kid. Not only is it a more authentic experience but you could probably use the stretch. I mean...look at you. You're only afraid of sitting down there because you're not excited about how hard it would be to stand up again and flop your fat ass onto the couch. That reluctance is proof that this is the very sort of exercise you need.

Fuck you, guy. Things have changed. The people buying this likely have 46" TV's or larger. Sure, back in the day when NES was new, most TV's were under 30", but now, it's a whole new ballgame. Many families buying this, plan on hooking it up to a screen larger than 50". This means that said family will be sitting more than 2 meters from the tele. Get over yourself, modern families aren't the same as 1990's Japan.
I say—and I mean this on the truest sense of humanitarianism—fuck the families of today.

They can plug the miniNES into the television in the kitchen pantry (or even the television in their sneaker closet, if they are really desperate).

They will survive, trust me.

:)

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 09:52 PMIf you genuinly are too out of shape to sit on a floor then maybe you should take my joke advice for real. Sitting on the floor is not supposed to be a test of strength but...maybe it should be?
Hahah thanks for your advice wise one :P

My issue with sitting on the floor is a matter of comfort, not ability, as my knees/ankles and most other joints are pretty much gone/shredded to bits. I am not obese or incredibly fit, but I am not going to sit on the ground to relax and play videogames, esp not for a lengthy session of any sort, and not in my game playing area that has a concrete floor.

Good on you for wanting to be miserable all the time, that's very admirable I guess, I'll stick to my recliner or couch when I am enjoying a relaxing session of game playing :)

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 07/21/2016, 09:56 PM

THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY PLAYING NES FOR?

God, what a bunch of *pussies* the word has become. Sitting on the floor is "miserable".

Since people only like to respond to the parts where I...apparently...totally expose their most embarrassing issues by accident, let me state again that a USB power supply and a long-ass HDMI cable are not hard to find. If you're on deaths fucking door and you can't get up you can just bring the system closer to you. I just hope your decrepit ass isn't operating a motor vehicle or any power tools.

The dog thing might be insurmountable though. Dogs didn't exist in the 80s so there is no accommodation for them in the new NES thing either. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

In no way am I defending the decision to use a PS1 length controller cable l, it was dumb, obviously, but the criticism is just depressing. Have some sense of perspective for fucks sake. The reason I can't adjust to the needs of whining pussies is because as soon as you placate them they just become even more weak and needy to the point where now pulling cartridges in and out of your machine is too much work so you have to get flash cards. Even the 7 year old version of yourself would rag on you for that.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gredler on 07/21/2016, 10:25 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2016, 09:52 PMIf you genuinly are too out of shape to sit on a floor then maybe you should take my joke advice for real. Sitting on the floor is not supposed to be a test of strength but...maybe it should be?
Hahah thanks for your advice wise one :P

My issue with sitting on the floor is a matter of comfort, not ability, as my knees/ankles and most other joints are pretty much gone/shredded to bits. I am not obese or incredibly fit, but I am not going to sit on the ground to relax and play videogames, esp not for a lengthy session of any sort, and not in my game playing area that has a concrete floor.

Good on you for wanting to be miserable all the time, that's very admirable I guess, I'll stick to my recliner or couch when I am enjoying a relaxing session of game playing :)
This is a similar boat I find myself in as well.

Can I sit on the floor?  Sure. To a degree.

Do I need proper lumbar support?

More then I need to sit on the floor.

Why?  Having sever lumbar issues as a result my work in my twenties and early thirties has turned my back, hips, and knees into basicly mush.  Maybe Zeta doesn't have a spine that has curved due to intense physical abuse and can sit on the floor on his head. However, for me I need lumbar support and choose to use the furniture and available tools to make gaming more comfortable.

This means I would most likely utilize a cable extension is some sort of I were to utilize the mini NES at some point. Provided my initial concerns and controllor cable length are correct I. That they would not reach from my tv to the couch.

Could I put the system in the floor and have cables and what not lengthened to accommodate?  Sure. If I didn't have a 1 1/2 year old who enjoys grabbing anythjng with in reach that is t bolted to the ground or outside his reach and walk through out the house with it in hand. Granted I greatly enjoy just chasing him around the house as he giggles smiling all the time trying to run and hide from me with what ever controllor, game, book etc he managed to grab and hold to.

Ok off topic.

Zeta just calm down with the gross generalizations all the time. You have such a pessimistic view of things all the time. It's great to have an opinion, however, must you always go and use such tackless ways of articulating your views.

Gredler

danm zeta all this health advice, I hope you're taking your blood pressure medicine.

80% of the systems I play have corded controllers, I was just stating that the only issue I have with the cord is when the dogs get rowdy - and yes I've been dealing with that issue since I was a wee lad playing NES sitting on the ground, the dogs still manage to fuck shit up every once in a while.

No need to bust a artery because I simply say fuck sitting on the ground, do you honestly play sitting on the ground? Your suggestion of bringing the system closer is what I typically do, maybe try that out it works good. Sitting on the ground is for chumps and children, and furnitureless hobos.

bob

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/21/2016, 09:13 PMI'll be sure to stretch before I retro game Zeta. I wouldn't want to pull a muscle.

IMG

However, considering the NES controllor I have currently has CRAZY length between my temporary set up and the spare couch up stairs I think I am good.
AAHHHHH FUCK YOU!!   I have wanted to find that damn Joycard Sansui at a reasonable price for years now.  Had one as a kid and it's the absolute BEST NES controller ever made.  Hands down.

NecroPhile

What kind of whining pussy complains about wireless controller pairing as if it's some arduous task or about it always being discharged?  If you're too lazy or too stupid to plug it in, I hope you're not operating a motor vehicle or any power tools.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

I understand not wanting to deal with a cord that is too short, but that's what extensions are for. Short corded controllers are perfect for every situation and don't stick you with 12' of superfluous cable when you don't need it. I used wireless pads a lot in the late 90's for RPGs, but I always prefer a hardwired controller, just as I'd rather have my internet devices hardwired when possible.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: gynt on 07/22/2016, 09:02 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/21/2016, 09:13 PMI'll be sure to stretch before I retro game Zeta. I wouldn't want to pull a muscle.

IMG

AAHHHHH FUCK YOU!!   I have wanted to find that damn Joycard Sansui at a reasonable price for years now.  Had one as a kid and it's the absolute BEST NES controller ever made.  Hands down.
Got it for the turbo function head phone jack and that its larger with rounded corners for my man hands.

I swear the pointy smaller first party NES controllers hurt my hands these days. I actually have. Second one. However, it's used for other adults due to above reasons.

bob

the turbo functions are faster than the NES Max too.
world records for days in Track n Field with the joycard

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/22/2016, 11:59 AM

IMG

Got it for the turbo function head phone jack and that its larger with rounded corners for my man hands.

I swear the pointy smaller first party NES controllers hurt my hands these days. I actually have. Second one. However, it's used for other adults due to above reasons.
You got Palmolive hands or something? Lol

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2016, 12:35 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/22/2016, 11:59 AM

IMG

You got Palmolive hands or something? Lol
If say more neandothal

esteban

Only a Neanderthal would spell it "Cro-Magnon"...

Otaking

This is better than the official one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Otaking on 08/03/2016, 11:32 PMThis is better than the official one
Duh! Didn't I mention the NES Pi cases above?

johnnykonami

The tiny carts for that are awesome, and doubly so for the fact that they launch the game they say.

Digi.k

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-the-nes-classic-edition-audience-different-display-modes-and-more/

"What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too."

"Yes, there will be permanent save points and instant temporary saves to be able to resume and that's for every single of the 30 games, so we don't have to worry if we don't have a password, or restart right at the beginning..."

SignOfZeta

Maybe they'll have Super Gameboy style borders.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/08/2016, 12:05 AMMaybe they'll have Super Gameboy style borders.
And options to switch the color palettes!

:)

TheClash603

I am excited to see the pixel perfect mode, I wonder if they are going to really recreate the CRT feel or if it is bullshit.  I imagine 99% of the people playing won't care, so the cost benefit analysis of doing this well doesn't work in my favor.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/08/2016, 01:12 AMI am excited to see the pixel perfect mode, I wonder if they are going to really recreate the CRT feel or if it is bullshit.  I imagine 99% of the people playing won't care, so the cost benefit analysis of doing this well doesn't work in my favor.
Well, however flawed it may be, it will be better than no 4:3 option... :)

Don't you think it will simply be a "scan line" effect superimposed over a 4:3 mode (you might have options to choose thinner/thicker, sharper/blurrier, etc. and adjust transparency of effects)....