RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Admit it... You're playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Started by TheClash603, 07/29/2016, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to play D&D.  Now that I am 33, I finally have successfully gathered 4 other people for a weekly session.  I am the DM and have been having a blast playing.  Has anyone else ever played?

I just bought a box of pawns and some grid sheets so we can stop using our imagination and start playing more tactical battles.  Anyone have any tips for first time players?

NecroPhile

I've played through Order of the Griffon but never fondled the 38 sided die.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

IMG

Gredler

I'm in the same boat but lacking 4 friends who are down. I have one friend who also has never played and might want to, but he hardly has time go get a beer so locking him down to a D&D session would be like pulling teeth. The rest of my friends won't even play console games, let alone a table top unless it's poker, asshole, or blackjack.

I am also 33, and have yet to play DnD, halp

ToyMachine78

I haven't played table top d&d since the AD&D 2nd edition days. Be glad you don't have to explain THAC0 to people. Lol

I would like  to play again. I still have a lot of my old campaign box sets, books, and manuals.

The rule set of new edition is so streamlined, it would probably be a lot easier to pick up and play without having a vet around to teach you. AD&D was practically like learning how to play Warhammer 40K.

Sadly, I'm in the same boat as greddles. I have a neighbor who I have more in common with than anyone else I've ever met in the south. Ex-skater, loves video gaming, loves board games and other table top games, used to play d&d, likes punk and metal music, loves beer,  works in IT at the same company as me.... It's crazy. Unfortunately, he recently went through a divorce, and since he's been on his own has become addicted to pc gaming. He holes himself up in his office every waking moment. He is a major recluse now. 

But, I do know people who play over Skype. So maybe that could be an option. Seems like it would ruin the mood and experience to me though. 

Gentlegamer

Unless you're playing a version that came out pre-2000 you're not really playing D&D.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

I haven't really played since high school, (AD&D)...but I played the original D&D prior to that (I have the original Monster Manual & DM Guide tattooed in my brain...I read them so many times, cover to cover).

PERSONALLY, I was always drawn to the sorry telling/narrative/creativity/character relationships... so I never really allowed overly technical/intricate rule sets to interfere with the pacing/progression/development of a campaign.

MY ADVICE: See what folks are really into (the battle system/leveling up vs. the narrative/development of character/relationships) and plan accordingly.

Personally, if D&D were merely about rolling dice, then it would be a damn tragedy.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

To me, the key to a great campaign is having an outstanding DM. Pretty hard to find in my experience.

You really need someone that can craft and tell a story in such a way that it paints it in your mind. And someone that keeps the party on there feet, and knows how to work the party dynamics off each other for maximum entertainment.

crazydean

Never played. Although, it does sound fun, and I'd like to give it a go.

johnnykonami

I'd like to play some board games (including D&D) online sometimes with you folks if anyone is up for it.  I haven't bought into it yet, but there is tabletop simulator on Steam which looks promising.

spenoza

I read lots of role-playing books (because I'm a rules and settings wonk), but I haven't played in a while. It's as much about the group dynamic as the game. If you are all having fun, stick with what you're doing. Over at Shamus Young's Twenty Sided site one of his pals has been writing a series on GMing that might be worth your while. Here's the first post.

TR0N

Eh i never played D&D as a kid in the 80's i guess at the time i thought it was to complicated.Closest i got to playing D&D was the capcom arcade games.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ToyMachine78

Too complicated? What? Around here kids didn't play it cause it was satanic. Lol same reason they didn't listen to metal music

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/29/2016, 10:28 PMToo complicated? What? Around here kids didn't play it cause it was satanic. Lol same reason they didn't listen to metal music
My grandma, who is amazing, was also genuinely worried about me during Middle School (86-88) and she gave me a short book to read about the evil influences of D&D and music.

She saw the DIO and Iron Maiden Posters on the wall in my room (for some reason she wasn't concerned about the Sho Kusugi Enter the Ninja posters)....

She really thought the devil had me by the left one.

She didn't understand D&D at all...

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 07/29/2016, 10:28 PMToo complicated? What? Around here kids didn't play it cause it was satanic. Lol same reason they didn't listen to metal music
Yeah i remember that propaganda towards D&D.I really don't remember why i never got into D&D about the only,pen&paper rpg i did play was robotech and that was towards the late 80's.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

seieienbu

I played D&D or random other stuff a bunch during high school.  Since then I've made a few attempts to play and every attempt has worked eerily the same.  A friend wants to play, we make characters and then set a weekly day to play.  After a month we have to skip a week, then it becomes every other week.  After a month or two of alternating weeks the group has gotten smaller, and then we quit for a month, have one last session, then never play again.  Organizing around adult schedules is quite a pain. 

I enjoy the character creation and combat aspects of D&D much more than the talking to barkeeps and using funny accents.  My least favorite thing about D&D is, well, generally the social aspects of the game.  One guy I knew kept trying to make female characters that would use dumb psychological control mechanisms to force other people into doing his bidding.  Stuff like that was always a pain to deal with. 

This probably is no longer a thing but I hated playing with anyone who thinks that things like "kinder" are hilarious.  In high school I was annoyed by the guy who apparently thought the Weis and Hickman books were high art and that Tasslehof was the greatest character of all time.  I quit the game because I wasn't allowed to kill the character.  If a guy is constantly stealing from you then I would under no circumstances put up with his bullshit, chosen mystical holy party of prophesied heroes or otherwise.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

TheClash603

Me and my friends grabbed the 5th edition starter set and read through the rules together and have a pretty good idea what we are doing.  I am the DM, so I did some extra research myself, watched YouTube how to videos and read stuff online.

As none of us have ever played before, I am sure we are fucking a lot up, but we are having fun.  Each week we add something new to our game, things like the Monster Manual, playing grids, pawns, and some sweet looking new Celtic dice.

I knew I was going to enjoy the game when my scenario said "you are a group of Redbrand Ruffians, yell insults at the players until you begin your attack."  I prefaced my onslaught of words with John Cusack's famous Gross Point Blank quote of "it's not me."

BigusSchmuck

Its been some years since I played AD&D. Mostly was 2nd edition. Macross on the other hand.... Loads and loads of fun. Always thought Palladium was a better RPG system vs 2nd edition. Though I'm sure that has changed now with 5th edition...

esteban

spenoza

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/31/2016, 10:05 PMAlways thought Palladium was a better RPG system vs 2nd edition.
After years and years of systems discussions, I think that's the first time I've ever read or heard those words  ; )

I'm sure the system was elevated by the Macross material. I would love to play in a Macross themed game. There's a group on-line using Mekton-Z to do Macross stuff. They even try to keep the mech specs updated to the most recent stuff.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2016, 01:49 AMI also played:
Paranoia
Battle Tech
GURPS
I've played GURPS Auto Duel. It was pretty sweet. I always wanted to play Battle tech but never did.

See este, screw politics. RPGs and TG16 can unite the world!

Trμth!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/01/2016, 06:07 PM
Paranoia
Battle Tech
GURPS
I've played GURPS Auto Duel. It was pretty sweet. I always wanted to play Battle tech but never did.

Trμth!
Hell yeah!

I don't think Paranoia had any traction.. But it was fun to play and read.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2016, 06:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/01/2016, 06:07 PM
Paranoia
Battle Tech
GURPS

Trμth!
Hell yeah!

I don't think Paranoia had any traction.. But it was fun to play and read.
We just need to get the rest of the world on board. Maybe we should start a lobby lol.

See, we are the true one percenters!

TheClash603

We.had our first D&D fight, a guy showed up 45 minutes late and he was the ride of our chick cleric that plays.  The reason he showed up late was "the dessert menu took forever to come out."

If you are running over 30 minutes late before the dessert menu comes out, skip fucking dessert!

If we did not fear his shocking grasp, there may have been some physical altercations.

JoshTurboTrollX

Our group gets together once a month (ish) and we play Pathfinder.  For those that were used to D&D 3/3.5, Pathfinder is the perfect game system.

Otherwise, I do a one off session around the holidays in a game setting called "Dragon Storm".  It's a pretty much defunct world where you play a shapeshifting adventurer on the run from the evil Necromancers!  I pretend it's the pencil/paper version of the Super CD classic, Shapeshifter!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 08/01/2016, 05:35 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/31/2016, 10:05 PMAlways thought Palladium was a better RPG system vs 2nd edition.
After years and years of systems discussions, I think that's the first time I've ever read or heard those words  ; )

I'm sure the system was elevated by the Macross material. I would love to play in a Macross themed game. There's a group on-line using Mekton-Z to do Macross stuff. They even try to keep the mech specs updated to the most recent stuff.
It just makes more sense in the Macross world. Especially dog fighting. Seriously, a mecha that has a -10 ac and slower than crap should be easy to hit right? Just my opinion of course..

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2016, 06:10 PMI don't think Paranoia had any traction.. But it was fun to play and read.
"The Computer is your Friend!" ;-)

Being a unregistered mutant is punishable by death.
Belonging to a secret society is punishable by death.

You are an unregistered mutant and belong to secret society, and your colleagues at work don't know.

As a member of the Computer's TroubleShooter squad, your job is to hunt out unregistered mutants and members of secret societies ... Welcome to Paranoia!

My D&D set was sold off to younger players, as was Traveller, and RuneQuest (anyone remember that one?), but I kept Paranoia.

Never got to play it ... but after the traditional RPGs, it was an irreverent breath-of-fresh-air, and hilarious to read.  You'd need a brilliantly-crazy & funny SOB to be the DM in that game.  ;-)

ToyMachine78

I always wanted to play Shadow Run too, but never got the chance.

I know the game materials were harder to find in my area, and if I recall it was more expensive than TSR published games.

spenoza

Catalyst Labs has been pushing Shadow Run pretty hard at the last two or three Origins conventions, but I took their sample adventure and was not impressed. I'm sure a good GM could do much more with the material. I miss Cyberpunk 2020. Never got to actually play it, but the book had style.

johnnykonami

I'm getting kinda stoked for Mansions of Madness 2.0.  At first I was annoyed firstly due to price (~$100) and worried my older edition and expansions for it would be rendered worthless.  My girlfriend, and our two good board gaming friends all sat around and painted the character and monster figures one night.  Not something we normally do so those are special to me.

Luckily, the 1st edition and 1st edition expansions are compatible with the new version in that it comes with new investigators, monsters, and adventures, but you can use the 1st edition investigators, monsters, and floor tiles to supplement the second edition.  So not all bad.

The cool thing about this new version is that you can use your iPad (or Steam, Android, etc.) to run an app that takes the place of the keeper (dungeon master) and handles board set up, puzzles, randomization and all kinds of stuff that was annoying in 1st edition.  DM'ing is a labor of love, as said earlier in this thread I believe... and so it's a pain though for casual players.  This is cool for us especially, and nobody has to do the setup part for 30 minutes beforehand that really bogged the game down.  Anyway, this is the closest thing to DnD for my group right now.  I push for it because I like this kind of stuff, and I think this will sway the favor of the others too.

esteban

Quote from: elmer on 08/02/2016, 10:39 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/01/2016, 06:10 PMI don't think Paranoia had any traction.. But it was fun to play and read.
"The Computer is your Friend!" ;-)

Being a unregistered mutant is punishable by death.
Belonging to a secret society is punishable by death.

You are an unregistered mutant and belong to secret society, and your colleagues at work don't know.

As a member of the Computer's TroubleShooter squad, your job is to hunt out unregistered mutants and members of secret societies ... Welcome to Paranoia!

My D&D set was sold off to younger players, as was Traveller, and RuneQuest (anyone remember that one?), but I kept Paranoia.

Never got to play it ... but after the traditional RPGs, it was an irreverent breath-of-fresh-air, and hilarious to read.  You'd need a brilliantly-crazy & funny SOB to be the DM in that game.  ;-)
Ha!

I wrote a response yesterday and lost it, apparently.

Yes, to find something like Paranoia was precious, because it was easy to miss. Sometimes, the only reason certain items were in stock were completely due to the owners preferences (I am thinking books/music/movies)...

I only found Paranoia in one store...I think the owner was selling his own, unwanted stuff.

Then again, he bought LaserDiscs of anime and made VHS copies and sold them with homemade labels/packaging...

This is how he paid rent, I reckon, since I rarely saw any books being sold.

Anyway, somebody told me that Paranoia didn't die in the 80's, so I have been curious to see what happened to it (I don't have high hopes, but I am curious).

MUTANT!

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2016, 09:16 AMYes, to find something like Paranoia was precious, because it was easy to miss. Sometimes, the only reason certain items were in stock were completely due to the owners preferences (I am thinking books/music/movies)...
I love stores like that!

QuoteAnyway, somebody told me that Paranoia didn't die in the 80's, so I have been curious to see what happened to it (I don't have high hopes, but I am curious).
It got kickstarted for a new version a year or two back, but I don't know if that's been released, yet.

As Steve Jackson said ...

Quote from: WikipediaSteve Jackson described Paranoia as "the first sophisticated parody of the basic tropes of roleplaying. Paranoia didn't offer dungeons full of monsters with sillier names than those in D&D. It introduced something scarier... the futuristic tunnels of Alpha Complex, in which all the monsters were human and nobody ever got out. Paranoia held all of roleplaying, as it was then practiced, to a dark and twisted mirror. Then it threw cream pies."
I don't know of anything quite like it.

ToyMachine78

I just noticed that Sword Coast Legends and Neverwinger released on PS4 last month.

Has anyone played these? If so, what are your thoughts?

crazydean

So my friends are starting some 5e D&D and I was invited to join. It's next weekend. Can't wait!

Arkhan Asylum

I play Rifts, but I drop D&D into it, so

basically, I am playing Palladium Fantasy in Rifts, using D&D source material.

Get on my level, fuckups.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2016, 04:58 AMI play Rifts, but I drop D&D into it, so

Now add Macross.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/28/2016, 09:04 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/28/2016, 04:58 AMI play Rifts, but I drop D&D into it, so

Now add Macross.
and Ninja Turtles.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gredler

I just joined a work group entry level D&D game, we start next Wednesday. A week ago today we met up and picked characters and were given basic rules and understanding of the game. I am looking forward to trying it out, I've always wondered what it's like to play D&D pen and paper.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gredler on 09/28/2016, 02:10 PMI just joined a work group entry level D&D game, we start next Wednesday. A week ago today we met up and picked characters and were given basic rules and understanding of the game. I am looking forward to trying it out, I've always wondered what it's like to play D&D pen and paper.
Its usually nothing like TV shows it, and is mostly just people arguing about rules because none of them can read good.

and then someone gets everyone killed.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2016, 02:44 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 09/28/2016, 02:10 PMI just joined a work group entry level D&D game, we start next Wednesday. A week ago today we met up and picked characters and were given basic rules and understanding of the game. I am looking forward to trying it out, I've always wondered what it's like to play D&D pen and paper.
Its usually nothing like TV shows it, and is mostly just people arguing about rules because none of them can read good.

and then someone gets everyone killed.
I have been a very kind DM and there have been various townspeople that were able to revive dead people for favors, but the people I play with are awful despite my advice.  The fucking healer chick we play with won't stop hitting people with her hammer and getting herself killed, it is embarrassing.

Arkhan Asylum

My party just runs from room to room rolling dice going DO WE FIND ANYTHING.

Last time someone did that I said yes, you find a piece of paper that says "learn how to fucking play, and hand me a fucking coke. dick."

That got the message across.

Galder

Quote from: guest on 09/29/2016, 03:34 AMMy party just runs from room to room rolling dice going DO WE FIND ANYTHING.

Last time someone did that I said yes, you find a piece of paper that says "learn how to fucking play, and hand me a fucking coke. dick."

That got the message across.
Haha, this reminds me of Advanced Heroquest. The only difference there is that the game is so brutal that they eventually get the "message" from a ratman's killing blow. Lovely moments.

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2016, 04:58 AMI play Rifts, but I drop D&D into it, so

I first got introduced to tabletop RPGs with rifts when i was in middle school. I only played a handful of times, but i vividly remember amazing art in the books.

I then went on to play D&D in highschool. A friend of mine lived next door to a 40 something year old D&D nut. We would go to his house on weekends and play all night. It was usually myself,my twin brother, 2-3 friends, and the neighbors son. He moved about a year into are D&D sessions, and i tried playing with the guy who introduced me to rifts years ago. His campaign was horrid though. Him and his g/f were baby dragons, and it became a bunch of weeb bullshit. I haven't played since

crazydean

I did it! I played D&D 5e on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. Our party consisted of 4 people who have never played and the DM was DM'ing for the first time. She almost wiped us on the first encounter because we were supposed to have a bigger party, lol. Anyway, gonna play again on Friday.

TheClash603

Quote from: crazydean on 10/04/2016, 12:58 AMI did it! I played D&D 5e on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. Our party consisted of 4 people who have never played and the DM was DM'ing for the first time. She almost wiped us on the first encounter because we were supposed to have a bigger party, lol. Anyway, gonna play again on Friday.
Did you use that starter pack?

blueraven

I freaking miss the all-day-Sunday D&D sessions.

crazydean

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/04/2016, 02:51 AM
Quote from: crazydean on 10/04/2016, 12:58 AMI did it! I played D&D 5e on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. Our party consisted of 4 people who have never played and the DM was DM'ing for the first time. She almost wiped us on the first encounter because we were supposed to have a bigger party, lol. Anyway, gonna play again on Friday.
Did you use that starter pack?
Not sure about that. I'm gonna guess no.

roflmao

I recently spent the day running my 8 yr old son and wife through the starter adventure that came in the 4th edition red box. It was a hoot, everyone loved it and wish we all had more time to play more. Man I had forgotten how much time is involved in preparing a campaign!