RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Making some of my pce dev tools public

Started by TurboXray, 08/19/2016, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

Since I'm taking another Java level course, I figure I might as well get in some practice. I've never really worked with gui frameworks before (all my stuff was hand build internal gui code). Jframe seems decent and I've learned to write some interfacing code for it.

But here's my question; does it matter of the program is a JAR file or windows EXE file? I can wrap the JAR into an EXE launcher, but you'll still need to install Java SDK to run it.

Also, anyone familiar with Jframe, or another gui framework for Java that they recommend?

touko

Personaly, if it does the job i don't care . ;-)
It's already nice when someone post his public tools, exe or java it's really not that important .

Arkhan Asylum

all Java UI libraries are bad, so just pick whichever.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

When I was working in JAVA Swing was acceptable. These days it's probably considered decrepit.

Oh, thank you Google. Turns out JavaFX is the replacement.

Honestly, work in Swing or JavaFX. Swing is a foundation class and JavaFX and Swing are both included in JAVA at this point. Your tools should be functional and easy to use first, shiny and attractive second.

NightWolve

My general preference was to wrap a JAR file in an EXE rather than having to keep batch files handy to launch it.

TurboXray

OK, cool. Thank all for chiming in. I think I'll probably wrap it in an EXE. Can't hurt, and somehow looks more "complete" to me for some reason (probably my old legacy perspectives).

spenoza: JavaFX sounds familiar. I'll check that out.