RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Favorite controller per system

Started by crazydean, 11/18/2016, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

So, I'm getting my Christmas list together, but I'm having trouble coming up with stuff to ask for. I don't really need anything game related, but a good controller can be very nice.

Does anyone have a controller they prefer on a specific system other than the original that shipped? I'm looking for most anything between NES and PS2.

Bloufo

crazydean

I have heard good things about the Hori Pad but they go for like $70+ on eBay. If someone knows a place to get one for less, let me know.

Bloufo

Quote from: crazydean on 11/19/2016, 12:12 AMI have heard good things about the Hori Pad but they go for like $70+ on eBay. If someone knows a place to get one for less, let me know.
AFAIK, they've always been pricey.

Depending on your hand size :P, but for me, the one on the bottom was/is a really solid wireless option for the PS2.

IMG

ClodBusted

Usually I go for original controllers and had bad luck with 3rd party controllers for any console.
However, you can't go wrong with gamepad converters to play Virtual Console games using the source systems controllers, can you? Raphnet offers a lot of converters, plus he provides technical specs about his devices that other sellers and manufacturers don't (latency, button config settings, firmware upgrades, etc.):
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/
He's even got a PCB for making your own PCE/TG-16 to USB adaptor.

I've got a pair of Hori Pads from a time where they still were like $40 each.
Be aware that the 4 shoulder buttons are awkwardly placed and rather short. People with medium-to-large sized hands like me have trouble hitting them on the right "clicky" spot instead of the button's pivot. And since there are 4 buttons (L, Z - Z, R), often times you'll accidentally hit the wrong one when playing GoldenEye 007 and trying to manually aim and fire. The shoulder button pairs aren't sufficiently spaced apart and don't feel very different, unlike the DualShock or Xbox 360 Controller.
Also, some games that depend on the rather unusual control scheme of having the left hand on the left prong and the right hand on the center prong of the original N64 controller just don't work with the Hori.

Other than the shoulder buttons, the controller is fine. I'd give it a B+ with room for improvement. The best N64 controller so far is the original one, amped up with Micro's analog stick PCB/Potientometer mod + a GC style Chinese aftermarket joystick (ditch the shitty Chinese PCB and potentiometer for Micro's one).
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0
I've got 4 of these kits, and man, they're awesome. It's like blowing new life into the old crusty N64.

DragonmasterDan

Wii Classic Controller (Not to be confused with the classic controller pro that has handles)
--DragonmasterDan

Bloufo

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/19/2016, 07:41 AMWii Classic Controller (Not to be confused with the classic controller pro that has handles)
Yes! Really liked those as well.

And what a coincidence. lol It's exactly 10 years to the day that those first became available.

TBH, though, I mostly used this one,

IMG

Gypsy

The Saturn has a couple of decent third party pads that have turbo switches. They usually run $10 or less even on Ebay.

This one is one I've used lately.

IMG

When I want turbo switches for Genesis, I have to go third party as well of course.

That N64 controller looks slick!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/19/2016, 08:52 AMYes! Really liked those as well.

And what a coincidence. lol It's exactly 10 years to the day that those first became available.

TBH, though, I mostly used this one,

IMG
I recall the classic controller came out maybe a month or two after the system launch rather than being available on launch day.
--DragonmasterDan

Bloufo

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/19/2016, 10:39 AMI recall the classic controller came out maybe a month or two after the system launch rather than being available on launch day.
The Wii system was my very first eBay purchase. I got it imported a week or so after it's NA launch month (November '06). With it I bought Twilight Princess and the classic controller. So obviously that controller must have been released during launch month.

Edit: I hate to use Wikipedia as a reference, but they back me up.

I see an old review on c|net also has it as being available during that time.

Dicer

Atari 2600: Stock
Nes: Max
SMS: Stock
Genny: 6-button stock
Snes: Stock
PCE : Hori or Ave 6
Jag: Pro Controller
N64: Superpad
Neo-Geo: Pad w/clicky stick
Saturn: duh saturn 6-button holy mother fucking god this pad makes me cum edition
PSone: Stock or dual shock depending
Gamecube: Wavebird
Xbox: S controller fuck the duke
PS2: Stock
DC: Stock
Wii: Mote and chuck

LostFlunky

Quote from: Dicer on 11/19/2016, 02:35 PMSaturn: duh saturn 6-button holy mother fucking god this pad makes me cum edition
I think the Japanese style (2nd N/A style) Saturn controller is my absolute favourite...

ClodBusted

Quote from: Dicer on 11/19/2016, 02:35 PMN64: Superpad
Are you talking of this one?
IMG
I got this controller on Christmas 1997. The control stick is indestructible, as long as the potentiometer is playing nicely along and doesn't develop any deadzone calibration issues (maybe corrosion?). This is something to watch out for when buying a used Superpad 64. The stick is taller than usual, so it needs big hands to operate it. The flat surface around the stick and d-pad on the left handle has a rather sharp edge, which can end up feeling uncomfortable after a while - some sanding would help. All the buttons feel really good, which is where other manufacturers often fail. The Z-Button has to be operated with the left middle finger instead of the index finger.
I played a lot of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and extreme G using this controller.

I'd give this controller a B-. But since it is easy to find and affordable, there's no excuse for not having one of these.

QuotePSone: Stock or dual shock depending
I choose the stock controller for shooters, puzzle and fighting games, even on the PS2. It's such a lightweight controller, what a relief when comparing this to the heavy and bulky controllers we're used to today.
Plus, the D-pad on the PS2's Dualshock-2 feels not as good "thanks" to the pressure sensitive membranes inside, when Sony desperately tried to equip the whole Dualshock-2 with somewhat analog-functioning buttons. What games supported analog buttons anyway aside from Gran Turismo? I'd really like to hear about that.

NFG has an article about the different manufacturers for the offical early PS1 controllers:
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/404-Sony-Playstation-Pad-Two-Manufacturers
I think there had been even 3 manufacturers, since there exist controllers with either H, A or M embossed on the bottom near the product number.
EDIT: Another readworthy article about the PlayStation and Dualshock controllers:
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/452-Sony-Playstation-Pad

bartre

stock N64 controller.
I use it for everything.

esteban

Quote from: bartre on 11/20/2016, 06:08 AMstock N64 controller.
I use it for everything.
Seconded.

I modded N64 controllers for Mega Drive.

Purr-fek-shun.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

On snes I've always used a ASCII pad, I got one bitd and never looked back,
IMG

For nes I got rad turbo pads as a kid and o
Loved them until a few years back,
IMG

The rounded edges and slightly larger size were as much of a benefit as the turbo features.

I recentishly discovered these pads and they are definitely my favorite for nes, nice weight and adult proportions.
IMG

For sega I used stock on all systems (master syste I ended up using Genesis pad on once it was an option.)

Nes snes and n64 are the only systems I've switched to third party on controllers for, except for the aforementioned Logitech ps2 wireless controllers which are fantastic.

Gypsy

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/20/2016, 02:38 AM
Quote from: Dicer on 11/19/2016, 02:35 PMSaturn: duh saturn 6-button holy mother fucking god this pad makes me cum edition
I think the Japanese style (2nd N/A style) Saturn controller is my absolute favourite...
Definitely a great controller. The only reason I use the third party one is when I want some turbo button nonsense.

@Gredler: That SNES controller looks BOSS.

bob

gred: the joycard sansui is by FAR the best NES controller ever.

Bloufo

Quote from: Gredler on 11/20/2016, 09:59 AMOn snes I've always used a ASCII pad, I got one bitd and never looked back,
IMG
I use this myself,

IMG

For the Famicom and Twin Fami, I prefer this,

IMG

NecroPhile

Here's my go-to pads for the systems I own -

Turbobs: wireless pads (honorable mention to the pachinko controller for size, silliness, and looking awesome)
PC-FX: standard pad.... because I don't really have a choice
FEKA (LA): six button Genny pads
2600: six button Genny pads because they work and original pads have turdy reliability
PSP Go: DS3
PSTV: DS3, but I'd like to try a DS4
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

I prefer the clicky pads of Neo Geo cd fame rather than The NEO arcade sticks!

There.  I said it.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

NES: the original controller
SNES: The original controller
Sega Genesis: The original controller
PCE: Theyre all good shut up
N64: No
PSX: The original controller
Dreamcast: The original controller
Saturn: the NiGHTS controller
PS2: The original contr...

I just use fucking original stock controllers.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GaijinD

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/19/2016, 09:36 AMThis one is one I've used lately.

IMG
I do believe I actually had this controller back in the '90s, but it crapped out and I ended up replacing it with the 3D pad.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 11/22/2016, 05:02 PMN64: No
I love you Arkhan.

Quote from: GaijinD on 11/22/2016, 05:32 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 11/19/2016, 09:36 AMThis one is one I've used lately.

IMG
I do believe I actually had this controller back in the '90s, but it crapped out and I ended up replacing it with the 3D pad.
I still really need to get a 3D controller. I've had the worst damn luck with that thing, buying a few that all ended up not working and had to be returned.