OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Barbarian on PCE

Started by F.L, 12/18/2016, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F.L

hello
i'm new on the forum.
i'm a french coder and i like to remake old games
my favourite is barbarian, the famous 1987 game of palace software
in 2012,i have remake this game in basic for PC (with qb64)
in 2014, i have ported the game on megadrive/genesis (with bex)
to see my old remake, go to my website
and now my project is to port the game on PC engine  :dance:
why the PCE  ?
because i was seduced by the power of the console, and the simplicity of its language : Huc
Especially for this occasion, I learned the language C
and since one month, i try to tame the beast  :D

here is a screenshot :
IMG

the development is progressing well, the game is now 100% working :
update of 03/21/2017 :
here is the link of roms :

AtariST:
IMG

Amiga500:
IMG

Amstrad CPC:
IMG

Commodore 64:
IMG

ZX Spectrum:
IMG

IBM-PC:
IMG

AppleII
IMG

Thanks to TOUKO for the help

i hope you will enjoy my project
see ya
F.L

esteban

I never thought I would say this about Barbarian, but..."Yes!"

I know this game well. Of course, when I played it as a kid, I just jammed the joystick and mashed buttons.

Hopefully the PCE version will feature a glorious, extended soundtrack (with alternate, remixed soundtrack available).

I CAN DREAM.

:)

We support your efforts, comrade.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

touko

We expecting playing the classic babarian soundtrack with squirrel,and use my PCM driver for SFX .

elmer

Quote from: F.L on 12/18/2016, 02:19 PMhello
i'm new on the forum.
i'm a french coder and i like to remake old games
Excellent stuff, welcome to the world of PC Engine development!

Quote from: touko on 12/18/2016, 03:25 PMWe expecting playing the classic babarian soundtrack with squirrel,and use my PCM driver for SFX .
Are you guys using the new build of HuC?

Gredler

What a first post, excellent!!

Welcome, happy to have you here!

F.L

thank all   :D
update of the day : i have added the blood spots and the wizard's fire

touko

QuoteAre you guys using the new build of HuC?
Unfortunately no, F.L is new on PCE and C, and i don't want to add new difficulties.
This is why for his first project i suggested him to stay on the old release for simplicity.

elmer

Quote from: touko on 12/19/2016, 04:08 PM
QuoteAre you guys using the new build of HuC?
Unfortunately no, F.L is new on PCE and C, and i don't want to add new difficulties.
This is why for his first project i suggested him to stay on the old release for simplicity.
What difficulties???  :-k

I initially set up Catastrophy for DarkKobold and Gredler so that they could switch between the old compiler and the new compiler, and everything ran fine with both versions.

Then they started to use some of Uli's features in the new HuC (like ANSI prototypes and C++ comments), so now they're pretty-much-committed to the new compiler, with its speed improvements and smaller code size.

I can understand folks like The Old Rover being cautious about switching ... but for someone new to the platform, I only see benefits at this point.

WoodyXP

That's what I'm talking about.  I love me some Barbarian.
"I bathe in AES carts."

Dicer

OMG OMG OMG OMG, one of my faves from the C=64 now on my PCE!!!

Can't wait to give this a spin.

Bardoly

Welcome to Pcenginefx!

Cool news on this.

touko

QuoteWhat difficulties???  :-k
To integrate squirrel and my PCM driver .
I know well the old release, and it was easy and faster to integrate those 2 things without breaking anything .

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard and good luck with your game.  I had to google it, but it looks interesting, like a blend of pit fighter and mortal kombat but with swords and loin cloths.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

elmer

Quote from: touko on 12/20/2016, 05:20 AM
QuoteWhat difficulties???  :-k
To integrate squirrel and my PCM driver .
I know well the old release, and it was easy and faster to integrate those 2 things without breaking anything .
There's not much that I can do about your PCM driver, but that *should* just be a case of setting up the timer IRQ.

It would certainly be nice if Aetherbutt got around to officially releasing the new version of Squirrel, but I can always send you the same version that the Catastrophy guys are using (and that I sent to Aetherbutt).

touko

QuoteThere's not much that I can do about your PCM driver, but that *should* just be a case of setting up the timer IRQ.
Of course is not an impossible or too difficult problem, this is really because the time and also because i already know (i did it) how to integrate the 2 things with a custom huc quickly without any problems .
F.L started this project only 1/2 weeks ago,and i hope for future projects he will use the latest version .

QuoteIt would certainly be nice if Aetherbutt got around to officially releasing the new version of Squirrel, but I can always send you the same version that the Catastrophy guys are using (and that I sent to Aetherbutt).
Yes thanks, i'll can test if all is ok with this version .

elmer

Quote from: touko on 12/21/2016, 04:21 AM
QuoteThere's not much that I can do about your PCM driver, but that *should* just be a case of setting up the timer IRQ.
Of course is not an impossible or too difficult problem, this is really because the time and also because i already know (i did it) how to integrate the 2 things with a custom huc quickly without any problems .
F.L started this project only 1/2 weeks ago,and i hope for future projects he will use the latest version .
It looks like he's made great progress in such a short time!  :)

You shouldn't have any problem setting up your timer IRQ in the new HuC ... the changes in there aren't too significant.

You can override the timer IRQ and supply your own in exactly the same way as before, or you can edit the new macro in Squirrel's sound.inc

The idea is that Squirrel does not supply its own custom startup.asm for HuC anymore, because that means that it will break every time that HuC's startup.asm changes.

Instead, Squirrel (or any other sound driver) just defines some macros that get invoked inside startup.asm so that they can insert their own code into the initialization and IRQ handlers.

QuoteIt would certainly be nice if Aetherbutt got around to officially releasing the new version of Squirrel, but I can always send you the same version that the Catastrophy guys are using (and that I sent to Aetherbutt).
Yes thanks, i'll can test if all is ok with this version .
PM sent.

touko

QuoteIt looks like he's made great progress in such a short time!  :)
Yes the game is finished at 77%  :wink:
It was first developed for megadrive with BEX (a basic compiler), and ported directly to huc, this is why is in a so advanced state.

QuotePM sent.
Thanks  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

LOL,

this is awesome.   

and, sorry we haven't really gotten around to releasing any new thing for Squirrel.   It still needs completely tested and such before we do anything, and, we aren't exactly drowning in copious amounts of freetime with the whole "cold as fuck out" and "holy shit it's Christmas already?" crap on top of the other Aetherbytery.

Maybe after the new year.   Getting Inferno finished up sort of takes precedence over tweaking Squirrel since the new HuC is.. sort of in flux atm anyways, right?

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2016, 05:49 PMMaybe after the new year.   Getting Inferno finished up sort of takes precedence over tweaking Squirrel since the new HuC is.. sort of in flux atm anyways, right?
OK then, I'll keep on giving out the modified version of the Squirrel Player that I made until you get around to finishing things off to your satisfaction.

I don't want to give people any reasons to delay or discourage a chance to try the new HuC ... the changes that Uli made are really impressive, and I recommend that people give it a try.

At this point, my current version of Uli's HuC build is pretty-much-done from my POV, except for any bugs that people report.

So I don't really see it as being "in-flux".

I don't want to keep on making changes to it ... I'd rather work on the zero-page-stack version.

And with the new macro-based interface between Squirrel and the HuC startup.asm, any continued improvements in HuC shouldn't affect Squirrel at all ... I hope.

The next set of problems will crop up if/when the zero-page-stack version of HuC appears and your Squirrel interface code doesn't preserve the X register ... but that's going to be a problem-to-solve with the System Card Player, too.

SmokeMonster

Incredible work porting Barbarian to PCE, FL!  8)

F.L

thanks !
today a new update of the rom
what's new :
- the flying heads and their shadow :mrgreen:
- the score
for the next update : make moving the snake
see ya

JoshTurboTrollX

This is terrific news!  Barbarian on PCE!  Thanks for joining and keeping us up to speed on things F.L

:D
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Do you intend to find a new big-titted lady to do the cover art posing for this?

It seems like a good idea
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Great progress so far!

Will you be updating the graphics to suit the PC Engine as well? That would elevate the project beyond a simple port and really make a differece.

touko

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 12/26/2016, 11:42 PMDo you intend to find a new big-titted lady to do the cover art posing for this?

Arkhan if you can do a squirrelised barbarian theme, you're welcome !!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 12/27/2016, 06:15 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 12/26/2016, 11:42 PMDo you intend to find a new big-titted lady to do the cover art posing for this?

Arkhan if you can do a squirrelised barbarian theme, you're welcome !!
I could probably do that.   I don't think I will be adding arps though because no.

touko

No problems arkh,you could do a better adaptation than me or F.L .

F.L

yes, making a enhanced version of barbarian will be possible.
when the coding will be over, i will give the source and the ressources in the .zip of the rom
for the moment, i work on the CPC version of barbarian, but
i want to do the same think than i maked on megadrive/genesis:
port the 7 releases of barbarian : CPC, C64, AppleII, PC-dos, ATARIst, AMIGA500, ZX SPECTRUM
it may will take severals months
to give you an idea of my precedent work , here is a link of the differents releases :
http://barbarian.1987.free.fr/download/download.htm

Arkhan Asylum

You're going to release the sourcecode once you're done working on it?

F.L

yes, all my remakes are open source
but  for the moment, the source is not enough clean to be showed   :P

Arjak

This is neat! I had heard of Barbarian, but never played it until now. Keep up the good work! =D>
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Arjak on 01/01/2017, 06:04 PMThis is neat! I had heard of Barbarian, but never played it until now. Keep up the good work! =D>
It is a strange, sort of stupid, but fun game.

and the chick on the cover has amazing booblies, so that's good too.

Dicer

The movement is pretty decent for such a simple game, and the little touches really made it something special. I'm glad our little machine finally gets to experience it's awesomeness...

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, at the time, the game was impressively animated.

the second game was ... kinda dumb though.

still neat, but, ... dumb.

F.L

Thanks all
For the new year, i have updated the rom : now the game has new temporary sounds , from TOUKO
I hope the original sounds will be integrated next week
In the same time, i'm doing the C64 version of barbarian   8)
See you soon for the next update

Arkhan Asylum

I will try to grab some time to do the title music for this soon, at least.

F.L

thanks in advance!
here is the two themes of barbarian in .mid if you need :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rg5omvwk187suyj/AAA92ths21F5pH--xC3MsEn9a?dl=0
i can have the c64 theme in .sid format but i don't know if it can help you

blueraven

I barely remember this game from bitd, but awesome to see it being programmed! Well done all!

Arkhan Asylum

When do you need these by, you think? 

I will try to have at least one of them this week .   It depends on my free time after work, lol.

It shouldn't be too hard with the MIDI already existing. 

F.L

Arkhan Asylum

I will try to get to the title tonight.   feel free to annoy me via email to remind me.  Sometimes I get sidetracked with my own stuff and run out of time before I pass out.   

Vimtoman

Wolf from the UK TV versions of Gladiators is the chap on the front of the Box.

I actually bought this when it came out.

blueraven

There was this... computer lab in my elementary school.

It had mostly Apple IIe's and a few C64's. There were also a few IIgs's that were highly coveted by the students who were obsessed with the Oregon Trail, and other games that were popular at the time. I seem to remember a "Conan" game where you threw a dagger like a boomerang.

Barbarian was one of these games where people would flock to a computer and watch two people battle it out. Sometimes on rainy days, "recess" would be held in the library and that game along with the Game Boy version of Duck Tales and Megaman ruled our free time.

That's why this game stands out to me; it was the digital verison of "King Of The Mountain" in the computer lab, circa 1989-1990.

F.L

hello
here is some news
arkhan is working on the music of c64 version and is doing a good job  :dance:
the coding of the four old 8bits versions is soon finished. (cpc, c64, appleII, pc)
in a few days, i will give the links of finished roms
the 16bits versions of barbarian (amiga,atari) are already on work but there is some weeks of code again. i must remake all the sprites
see ya !

Arkhan Asylum

I will try to do the Battle Hymn in the next day or so.  They should be able to be dropped in and used with Squirrel pretty simply. 

esteban

spenoza

Gredler

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban