OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Barbarian on PCE

Started by F.L, 12/18/2016, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

I didn't say it was a bad thing. Just, y'know, pointing out the obvious  ; )

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2017, 01:51 PMJust, y'know, pointing out the obvious  ; )
THIS IS WHY YOUR POST COUNT IS SO HIGH

haaaaaaaa

>_>

lol

i just want to fit in
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Psycho Punch

Just 2565? LAME.

OP, never played Barbarian, seems to be a fun little 1x1 fighting game. Any plans to map stuff to the second button or redoing the graphics?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2017, 01:51 PMI didn't say it was a bad thing. Just, y'know, pointing out the obvious  ; )
Yeah, it's an estebanpost. :)

It's hard to argue with forum member #6. or 9.  He's like Tenacious D without the D when it comes to PCE.

Welcome back, Spenoza!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2017, 01:51 PMI didn't say it was a bad thing. Just, y'know, pointing out the obvious  ; )
:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Quote from: blueraven on 01/19/2017, 03:26 AMWelcome back, Spenoza!
Oh, I'm here all the time. I just lurk a lot. That's why my post count is so low. I mostly just soak it in.

So, I've never actually played Barbarian at all. Anyone familiar enough with this to explain to me the basic gameplay?

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2017, 09:18 AM
Oh, I'm here all the time. I just lurk a lot. That's why my post count is so low. I mostly just soak it in.

So, I've never actually played Barbarian at all. Anyone familiar enough with this to explain to me the basic gameplay?
hackhackhackhackhack CHUPP.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2017, 12:31 PM

hackhackhackhackhack CHUPP.
Hahaha ... exactly!  :lol:

I very-slow Street Fighter with swords, and impressive animation (for the time, and the low resolution).

Arkhan Asylum

It's International karate with swords.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

F.L

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2017, 01:55 AMOP, never played Barbarian, seems to be a fun little 1x1 fighting game. Any plans to map stuff to the second button or redoing the graphics ?
hello
no, i remake the games like the originals. the second button will be used to launch/stop the music theme

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2017, 09:18 AMSo, I've never actually played Barbarian at all. Anyone familiar enough with this to explain to me the basic gameplay ?
select button will change the mode. you have demo> solo > vs mode
select the vs mode to train
try all directions with pad, you will have all the moves and defense of the game
the same thing with I button used will make all the attack moves

news ot the game:
while i'm waiting for the music of c64 and cpc versions, i have done two others version of barbarian :
AppleII and PC version of 1988, named death sword in usa
those two versions were easy to make because they have a little number of color and their sound are... basic  :P
clic on the pictures to download the game :
IMG IMG
i hope you will enjoy with this two new rom for pce !
see ya
F.L

_Paul

Great work! Are we going to get the Spectrum version?

esteban

Quote from: F.L on 01/21/2017, 03:34 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/19/2017, 01:55 AMOP, never played Barbarian, seems to be a fun little 1x1 fighting game. Any plans to map stuff to the second button or redoing the graphics?
hello
no, i remake the games like the originals. the second button will be used to launch/stop the music theme
Comrade!

I implore you, you must, at the very least, allow users the *option* for Button II to make our hero grunt as he shrugs his shoulders.

Thank you.

F.L

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2017, 05:15 AMGreat work! Are we going to get the Spectrum version?
of course  :P
but it will be the last, after the 16bits versions (atari/amiga) because the spectrum version is the most difficult version to do

Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2017, 06:02 AMComrade!

I implore you, you must, at the very least, allow users the *option* for Button II to make our hero grunt as he shrugs his shoulders.

Thank you.
the game is open source, modify or ehance the code is possible for anybody who want it.

ZachSpears

Thanks for your work on this project. Very cool of you to do this and share it.  =D>

Arkhan Asylum

Just out of curiousity.  Are you building each version separately?

Part of the issue with Barbarian is the one tune is so friggin long, and has lots of data really.

The tempo is also weird, so it's just weird to line up in general.  So, optimizing it is kind of annoying as I didn't write the song.

If you're doing each song separately, this may not matter.   I can just provide each song as a separate file for each version you build. 

F.L

Yes, I build each version separately
Each version has its small details, differences, strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to redo these 7 original versions of barbrian on pce
I would integrate your two music that you are doing in the c64 and cpc versions.
I realize the work that this represents and I thank you for it.
Without your help, I could not finish these two versions and it would be a shame
Good luck for the rest of work !

Arkhan Asylum

Oh.  That makes it easier, and I will care less about making the long battle song optimized for space :).

I will try to get it to you this week.  I got food poisoning or something over this weekend and did not do much.

Arkhan Asylum

I lied.  I got a boost of energy from these crackers and finished it for you.  Sent the email, lol

F.L

QuoteI lied.  I got a boost of energy from these crackers and finished it for you.  Sent the email, lol
a very very big thanks to you and these crackers  :dance:
you have done a big work on those songs. it sounds very nice
i hope i will integrate them this week with the help of touko !

F.L

hello
arkhan has done a nice work for the music theme of barbarian  =D>
i hope integrate it this week, with the help of TOUKO.

for the moment, i have a problem with the function set_tile_data :

in the game i have a background (displayed with load_background )
this background has only 15 colors in one palette (created with incpal)
here is my problem :
i need to put some tiles on my background, but in a different palette
i do like this :
#incchr(logo,"GFX/decor/logo.pcx",26,4 )
#incpal(paletteLOGO,"GFX/decor/logo.pcx" )
set_bgpal( 2 , paletteLOGO );
set_tile_data(logo, 6, paletteLOGO );
load_tile(0x17f0);

and it doesn't works, it put tiles with my default background palette (0) !
i hope someone can help me !
 [-o<

Arkhan Asylum

I just woke up so this might be wrong/dumb/

I THINK you have to shift the palette reference when you use that function, by 4 bits, so it ends up setting the BAT up properly. 

I remember set_tile_data being a little strange.    We actually use a utility that generates the BAT and is loaded and setup with all of the palettes immediately, without using any of those functions.

touko

Hi F.L, you can test this :
#define PAL_TILE        #4

const char tile_pal_ref[6] = { PAL_TILE<<4,PAL_TILE<<4, PAL_TILE<<4,
                                           PAL_TILE<<4, PAL_TILE<<4, PAL_TILE<<4 };

main()
{
    set_tile_data(logo, 6, tile_pal_ref );
    load_tile(0x17f0);

}
BTW i like your new CPC version  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 01/30/2017, 10:36 AMArkhan: BTW i like your new CPC version  :wink:
I tried to hit the 80s eurosound while still retaining some PCE quality to it.   It turned out pretty fun I think.

touko

i'll say mission accomplished . 
By the way how i can disable some channels for sample/SFX playing ??
Because i saw the first version, and it uses all the voices .

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 01/30/2017, 02:17 PMi'll say mission accomplished . 
By the way how i can disable some channels for sample/SFX playing ??
Because i saw the first version, and it uses all the voices .
Is this going in with your sample driver?   We never formally released the version of the utility that does the MML sound effects subtracking.  But, if you're using samples, this won't really help. 

F.L

i dont know if it can help you TOUKO, but in the original games, you must choose between music or samples. i will do the same think for my remakes

whats is the name of the utility you mention  and where can i download it ?
thanks in advance

touko

QuoteIs this going in with your sample driver?   We never formally released the version of the utility that does the MML sound effects subtracking.  But, if you're using samples, this won't really help. 
Arf damn, it's not related to my driver but by sample playback, and i'll want to know if you can disable a voice temporarily for playing a sample,and re-enable it when the sample playback is finished .

Quotei dont know if it can help you TOUKO, but in the original games, you must choose between music or samples. i will do the same think for my remakes
Yes at least we have this solution . :)

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, using the internal Squirrel version that handles subtracks won't help as it doesn't support samples. 

You could make sound effects with it, though, and use those in the game in lieu of samples.

touko

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2017, 02:13 PMYeah, using the internal Squirrel version that handles subtracks won't help as it doesn't support samples. 

You could make sound effects with it, though, and use those in the game in lieu of samples.
Humm, a little bit embarrassing but not a big deal .

elmer

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2017, 02:13 PMYeah, using the internal Squirrel version that handles subtracks won't help as it doesn't support samples. 
I suspect that it just wasn't a concern for the System Card Player which was obviously written for use with the 64KB of RAM in the original CD interface, so you couldn't afford the memory to use samples-in-RAM, and had the ADPCM unit anyway.

I'd bet that the guy that wrote it had a sample-capable version available, it just wasn't needed for the System Card Player.

I'm confident that you guys have the skill to retrofit some sample support into the current player if you ever decide that you want to take the time/energy to do so.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah it isn't exactly high on the list of "stuff to do" right now.

F.L

hello
here is my first video of the game on the real hardware :
barbarian ATARI PcEngine
it's the AtariST version, for the moment the most finished of the 7 roms
i have just received this turboeverdrive, and while i'm waiting for the music, i'm debugging because
there is some little glitches on the real hardware that were not on mednafen !
see ya for the next update !
F.L

esteban

Comrade, that video looks and sounds quite nice and promising.

:)

touko

Hi, cool to see barbarian on a CRT  :D
For music the driver is ok, i switched it from vblank to timer interrupt due to tempo problems,but i have a little problem to include more than 1 music (bank overflow) ,but i tested quickly .
For now i provided to F.L an easy way for switching between samples and music,because muting some mml channels to play samples is not so easy .

F.L

hello
a second video of "deathsword" ( barbarian on AppleII and IBM-PC in the USA )
deathsword PcEngine
this is not the most beautifuls versions but i will port all the 7 versions of this game
 :P

esteban

Quote from: F.L on 02/13/2017, 04:05 PMhello
a second video of "deathsword" ( barbarian on AppleII and IBM-PC in the USA )
deathsword PcEngine
this is not the most beautifuls versions but i will port all the 7 versions of this game
 :P
The Apple II SFX are better than the IBM PC, IMHO, amirite?

OldMan

Congrats on the release.
I assume you got the tempo problem fixed? (Yeah, using only vsync can cause things to play slowly, since there's no tempo control there.)

Does this mean we can look forward to a smple/mml player some day? :)

F.L

thanks
yes, the problem is just fixed today !
it was a great moment when i have heard the new music in the game for the first time !  :dance:
thanks to touko for the code and andrew for the music !  =D&gt;
in a few days, i will give news for the finish of the remakes !

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: F.L on 02/16/2017, 04:48 PMthanks
yes, the problem is just fixed today !
its was a great moment when i have heard the arkhan's music in the game for the first time !  :dance:
thanks to touko for the code and arkhan for the music !  =D&gt;
in a few days, i will give news for the finish of the remakes !
Ah, I didn't hear back from Touko.   What was the overall issue?  Sometimes playing e-mail tag really sucks for solving issues that could probably be fixed relatively quickly in person!

-_-;

touko

Yes sorry, i was busy those days (with F.L's problems  :mrgreen:).
1st huc manage banks like shit,i had to play with the game's datas inclusion to make it working(and it works very well  :wink:)  ..
2nd we tried to include babarianC64 with the CPC version and like i said i my MP, we have some "label multiply defined" ,WAVE_TAB,Sawp,SAWP2,MODU_TAB,wiggle,MODU_IX,WAVE_BASE,TRACK_IX .

EDIT: It's fixed, but not tested if i can switch between the two music easily . :)

Arkhan Asylum

Oh, you can't just include them together.  Because they were created as two separate song files, they each contain the extra waves and vibrato table.   You can just put all that stuff once at the end, and include the song data.

You will likely run into this HuC/PCEAS problem where if a pattern hops banks, it drops off and dies.   I will fix that now and send a new version for you so the CPC song doesn't lose bass near the end of the tune.

It seems this problem only exists if PATTERNS skip banks.   If the actual channel data hops banks  (which patterns to play, etc.), it doesn't goober out.

To fix it, I basically just cheated and put dummy data where the break was occurring to push the pattern that was breaking into bank 2, so the pattern that breaks now is a big block of rests that mean nothing and are never actually used.

padding!

Check your PM.  I sent the updated MML file for you.

touko

QuoteOh, you can't just include them together.  Because they were created as two separate song files, they each contain the extra waves and vibrato table.   You can just put all that stuff once at the end, and include the song data.
I tried that too (the two mml in one, i read your readme  :mrgreen:), but i have the same errors .

QuoteTo fix it, I basically just cheated and put dummy data where the break was occurring to push the pattern that was breaking into bank 2, so the pattern that breaks now is a big block of rests that mean nothing and are never actually used.
I saw that, and the fact that it's better to include the songs(each song in a bank) at the first user's bank, AKA 4 and after the GFX datas and code .

QuoteCheck your PM.  I sent the updated MML file for you.
Thanks . :wink:

F.L

great news today for the game : the music theme is integrated !  :dance:
touko and andrew have done a big work to integrate the new great music =D&gt;
in the game, press II for switch between sfx/music
for the moment , only the atari version has the music. (donwload link on the thread)
in a few days (weeks?) i will integrate the music in the others version
see ya

Arkhan Asylum

man, I really enjoy decapitating people with a d-pad instead of a shitty C64 joystick.   

lol

OldMan

Quotegreat news today for the game : the music theme is integrated !
+1 !

ParanoiaDragon

Since you're doing so many different versions, it'd be awesome if you finished them all off with a fullblown remake taking advantage of the PCE CD's capabilities!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/20/2017, 02:46 AMSince you're doing so many different versions, it'd be awesome if you finished them all off with a fullblown remake taking advantage of the PCE CD's capabilities!
Yes!

Plus, they can rip sprites from Beyond Shadowgate for the characters.

Perfect.

F.L

why not  8)
but i want to finish the originals before ;)

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2017, 06:46 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/20/2017, 02:46 AMSince you're doing so many different versions, it'd be awesome if you finished them all off with a fullblown remake taking advantage of the PCE CD's capabilities!
Yes!

Plus, they can rip sprites from Beyond Shadowgate for the characters.

Perfect.
That's a pretty amazing idea!