Best music on a HuCard

Started by Joe Redifer, 10/02/2006, 08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Joe Redifer

Do any HuCard games detect to see if a CD-ROM unit is attached and if so take advantage of the ADPCM to rawk da hizzouse?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin
Quote from: CrackTigerMagical Chase: Stage 3
hehe..i would go for stage 2 :D

For me, Stage 3 is where the game hits its stride. Both visually and musically things kick up a notch and the gameplay follows suit with an Aeroblasters Stage 2 kind of high speed obstacle course without a shop break.

Like a lot of Ninja Spirit's music, Magical Chase's Stage 3 music wouldn't be as memorable if it weren't for everything accompanying it. When I think of Magical Chase, I first think of that level and song.


Quote from: KeranuI think I even managed to like a track or two from those games as well.

That's something, considering Night Creatures only has 3 tracks total.  :D
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Seldane

Great:
Ankoko densetsu
Neutopia II
(Did the same guy make the music for both of these games? I think I've read something like that. If so - that guy knows his stuff.)

Good:
Dragon Spirit
Detana!! Twin Bee (although the PCE version lacks a lot in the music department.)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

CrackTiger

Impossamole Title Turbografx-16-

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/impossamole_turbo_title.mp3


Impossamole Title Amiga-

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/impossamole_amiga_title.mp3


I used an Amiga music player to convert the title to wav format, but the free version only does mono.

The Turbografx version (recorded off of my Duo-RX) includes the full 5 minutes and 45 second song. The music in the game is actually pretty good(I haven't played it since it first came out), but it would've sounded better if they'd used a different sound effect during the title track(the SMS sounding one) or if it wasn't so rapidy.

The Amiga version has some real SFC/SNES'y sounding parts.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Quote from: Tatsujin
Quote from: CrackTigerMagical Chase: Stage 3
hehe..i would go for stage 2 :D

for me its stages 5 & 6.  I love the cute music on 5 just at the last bit when the song comes to the end before it loops..  stage 6 has awesome bass to it if you got good headphones or decent stereo system.   If you got the japanese Magical Chase theres an hidden sound option.. in there you'll find an unused track not featured anywhere in the game (I think its track 11).. well I can't seem to connect it to anything..

i was just listening to the impossamole title track its not bad.. reminds me of rob hubbard stuff on the c64.....

Odonadon

Quote from: Joe RediferI think that CrackTiger needs to make an MP3 or two contrasting and comparing the music from Impossamole's title screen on both the Turbo and the Amiga.  Why Black Tiger specifically?  Because he'll do it if he can.



Paranoia Dragon and I will go one step further by combining them and adding a dance beat:Enjoy (for those of you who haven't heard this yet)



OD

Joe Redifer

I agree that the Sega Master System instrument in Impossamole sounds really bad... worse than most Sega Master System games!  There were a few UK SMS games that had the rapid-fire note blasting like that, and they sounded just as bad.  Must be a UK thing.  This is why they are doomed to get all consoles last... it is a punishment for bizarre stuff like this!

Keranu

I personally prefer the Turbo's Impossamole theme over the AMIGA's; it's got a kick ass C64 sound to it. But yeah, PD and Odonadon's remix KICKS ASS!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Quote from: Joe RediferA lot of people are saying that "Ninja Spirit" has good music.  To these people I ask: "Where?"  My copy of Ninja Spirit does not seem to have good music.  It's just buzzing, basically.  The melodies are, well, pretty much non-existent and the beat doesn't get you into the game (which isn't very good even if it had great music).  I go into the sound test and listen and listen but I don't hear anything even remotely pleasant.  There is a "tune" called "Theme of Shinobi" but it sounds nothing like Shinobi.  Shinobi has always had much better music than this.  There is also a tune called "Deep Blue" which is not even from that game!

So I ask again:  Where is the good music in Ninja Spirit?  Do I have to punch in a secret code?
The best tracks from Ninja Spirit are the following:

-Moon
-Dark Blue
-Behind The Wind
-Theme From Shinobi (this has NOTHING to do with the Shinobi games, btw...it's more of a historical thing)
-Kessen
-Forest
-Kizashi Part1
-Tugaro

The track "Deep Blue" has nothing to do with the game Deep Blue. Must you assume that the two have to be related? :P  :D  Also, for those that don't know...Deep Blue is the track that plays if you beat the game in Arcade mode...the ending is altogether different.

Ninja Spirit is simply one game that tried very hard to replicate traditional Japanese music, and IMO did a pretty good job for the limited hardware it had to work with.

My personal faves from the game are Dark Blue and Kessen.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ParanoiaDragon

Thanks Od, I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure where you had that on the web, & I didn't feel like looking for mine, on my comp, & then uploading it :P

For anyone that's played the Amiga version of Impossamole, is there music during gameplay??  Whenver I've fired it up in an emulator, there's music, only on the title screen, & I think when you die, & that's it :?

BTW, I think I forgot to mention, I also love New Adventure Islands soundtrack, it's just really well composed IMO :D
IMG

Keranu

I love New Adventure Island's music too, as well as it's graphics.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

QuoteMust you assume that the two have to be related?
Yes, absolutely.

Odonadon

Quote from: KeranuI personally prefer the Turbo's Impossamole theme over the AMIGA's; it's got a kick ass C64 sound to it. But yeah, PD and Odonadon's remix KICKS ASS!

I'm with you, it totally sounds sid-ish.  The Amiga version "sounds" better, due to the better instruments, but it also sounds sloppy and a little bit like the composer forgot to do some quantizing or something.

OD

esteban

Quote from: Joe RediferI agree that the Sega Master System instrument in Impossamole sounds really bad... worse than most Sega Master System games!  There were a few UK SMS games that had the rapid-fire note blasting like that, and they sounded just as bad.  Must be a UK thing.  This is why they are doomed to get all consoles last... it is a punishment for bizarre stuff like this!
Hhaahhaaha. So that's why Europe suffers so!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: OldRover
Quote from: Joe RediferA lot of people are saying that "Ninja Spirit" has good music.  To these people I ask: "Where?"  My copy of Ninja Spirit does not seem to have good music.  It's just buzzing, basically.  The melodies are, well, pretty much non-existent and the beat doesn't get you into the game (which isn't very good even if it had great music).  I go into the sound test and listen and listen but I don't hear anything even remotely pleasant.  There is a "tune" called "Theme of Shinobi" but it sounds nothing like Shinobi.  Shinobi has always had much better music than this.  There is also a tune called "Deep Blue" which is not even from that game!

So I ask again:  Where is the good music in Ninja Spirit?  Do I have to punch in a secret code?
The best tracks from Ninja Spirit are the following:

-Moon
-Dark Blue
-Behind The Wind
-Theme From Shinobi (this has NOTHING to do with the Shinobi games, btw...it's more of a historical thing)
-Kessen
-Forest
-Kizashi Part1
-Tugaro

The track "Deep Blue" has nothing to do with the game Deep Blue. Must you assume that the two have to be related? :P  :D  Also, for those that don't know...Deep Blue is the track that plays if you beat the game in Arcade mode...the ending is altogether different.

Ninja Spirit is simply one game that tried very hard to replicate traditional Japanese music, and IMO did a pretty good job for the limited hardware it had to work with.

My personal faves from the game are Dark Blue and Kessen.

You know, I don't think that I even ever tried to beat the game in Arcade mode. Is the ending like the arcade's, with the running wolves?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

Quote from: CrackTigerYou know, I don't think that I even ever tried to beat the game in Arcade mode. Is the ending like the arcade's, with the running wolves?
Yep. :D And arcade mode is hard as hell. I only beat it once on real hardware in arcade mode.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

2X4

Quote from: KeranuI personally prefer the Turbo's Impossamole theme over the AMIGA's; it's got a kick ass C64 sound to it. But yeah, PD and Odonadon's remix KICKS ASS!

I agree %100.  That PD Od mix was fun to listen to.  Like 2 years ago, I was playing this game and thinking what an awesome techno song that would make.  If I had any of the hardware necessary, I would have tried it myself.  But that mash-up was awesome for being done so quickly!  Well done.

I didn't know there was an alt ending on arcade mode!  I have owned that game for almost 15 years, beat it countless times on regular mode and never knew.  Of course I played it on arcade mode, but never completed it.  I have to play it now!
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

CrackTiger

Quote from: OldRover
Quote from: CrackTigerYou know, I don't think that I even ever tried to beat the game in Arcade mode. Is the ending like the arcade's, with the running wolves?
Yep. :D And arcade mode is hard as hell. I only beat it once on real hardware in arcade mode.

You know, I've never tried the hang to the left end level trick, I always dodge my way down and take a couple hits. I have to try this now and I'll record the arcade ending.  :D
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

Quote from: CrackTigerYou know, I've never tried the hang to the left end level trick, I always dodge my way down and take a couple hits. I have to try this now and I'll record the arcade ending.  :D
In Arcade mode, you HAVE to use the hang-to-the-left strategy or you won't make it. What I do is get just far enough over on the ceiling to just clear the edge of the cliff on the way down, pull slightly to the right to just barely dodge two guys that are in the way (so you're still falling left but not at full velocity), then pull to the left enough to slip down between two lines of enemies.

Remember, in Arcade, one hit and it's all over.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

What were some other Irem games that had the PC Engine and Arcade Modes? I believe Mr. Heli was one of them, is that all?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Odonadon

Quote from: KeranuWhat were some other Irem games that had the PC Engine and Arcade Modes? I believe Mr. Heli was one of them, is that all?

This sounds like a great topic for another thread (not that I'm a mod or anything) :)

OD

CrackTiger

Quote from: KeranuWhat were some other Irem games that had the PC Engine and Arcade Modes? I believe Mr. Heli was one of them, is that all?

Mr Heli definately does, but that's it for HuCards.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

I hope people don't mind me putting up some individual tracks but these MP3s are current ones I've ripped from PCE ROMs  and listening too.

Batman
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/batman.mp3

Magical Chase
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/magicalchase.mp3

Motor Roader II
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/motorroader2.mp3

Populous (medieval intro theme which im currently listening to over and over)
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/populous.mp3

Valkyrie no Densetsu
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/valkyrie.mp3

if anyone is trying to listen and having problems I will upload them to savefile.com or something..  since geocities is a bit .. awkward.

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

CrackTiger

Quote from: Digi.kI hope people don't mind me putting up some individual tracks but these MP3s are current ones I've ripped from PCE ROMs  and listening too.

Batman
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/batman.mp3

Magical Chase
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/magicalchase.mp3

Motor Roader II
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/motorroader2.mp3

Populous (medieval intro theme which im currently listening to over and over)
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/populous.mp3

Valkyrie no Densetsu
http://uk.share.geocities.com/kwokng@btinternet.com/temp/valkyrie.mp3

if anyone is trying to listen and having problems I will upload them to savefile.com or something..  since geocities is a bit .. awkward.

Awesome, thanks a lot!  :D

I like how the Magical Chase track keeps getting heavier and heavier.

Populous sounds pretty cool. I haven't really played either of the PCE versions yet. Now I think I'll pick up the Genesis version(which I finished back in the day) to do a music comparison.

Legend Of Valkyrie(or whatever) is another PCE HuCard I haven't gotten around to giving a serious play through. I love the early Turbochip sound though.  :)

Batman's cool, not just because of the tunes themselves, but because of the unique sound. Too bad we didn't get a game more like the alternate version.  :(
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

#75
nodtveidt thanks for bringing fileanchor to my attention I sure hope these links work much better than the geocities ones (which now been removed)

Batman
Open batman.mp3

Magical Chase
Open magicalchase.mp3

Moto Roader II
Open motorroader2.mp3

Populous (medieval intro theme which im currently listening to over and over)
Open populous.mp3

Valkyrie no Densetsu
Open valkyrie.mp3

waaaahhh these mp3's already taken up 11 megs on fileanchor..

not bad for a 19 yr old console neh ??

rolins

That Batman tune just kills the nes version.  :)

Keranu

Moto Roader II has an incredible sound to it, especially the song you posted, Digi.k. I love the distored guitar sound you hear in the background of that tune, it really adds quality to it and everything else sounds great too.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Thanks for uploading those.  Are they recorded from an emulator?  If so I wonder how they'd sound on real hardware, as I've never found emulation to be 100% exact.

Anyway, my highly anticipated opinions:

BATMAN -
Great tune, same tune that is found in the NES version (but much better here, of course).  All Batman games had good music... the original Batman based on the first movie, anyway.  That tunes sounds like it is closely related to "The Streets of Gotham" from the Genesis version.

MAGICAL CHASE -
Pretty good, but doesn't seem too memorable to me.  I found myself skipping through it.

MOTO ROADER II -
Definitely some good sound quality here.  I wish more PC Engine/Turbo games would have strived for sound quality such as this.  I wonder why they didn't?  The tune itself is good as well.

POPULOUS -
This is alright.  Nothing tremendously special here, I don't think.  There are some pleasant sounds to it, but the constant digitized clangy thing annoys me.

VALKYRIE NO DENSETSU -
I have no goddamn clue what a "Densetsu" is, but I'm glad this game doesn't have any.  The title of this game kind of reminds me of ordering a cheeseburger at McDonalds (or wherever) without onions.  Cheeseburger, no onions!  Anyway the occasional chimes towards the beginning almost hurt my ears (physically) and I'm not even wearing headphones.  And the constant buzzzzzz in the background doesn't sound impressive.  The drums sound good.  The melody itself isn't anything too special.

Anyway thanks for posting some of your favorites.  It would be awesome if more people did that.

__________________________________

Speaking of which, here are some of my current favorite HuCard tunes recorded from real hardware (and like Digi.k's MP3s, there is no branding so feel free to put them on your playlists).  I'm usually more concerned with melody and overall enjoyable-ness of the tunes.  The file names are not the official song names so I don't want to hear any bitchin' about that!  In alphabetical order:

Blazing Lazers:
Title
Stage 1
"Bubbles" (I forget which stage)

Dragon Spirit:
Stage 1

Dragon's Curse aka Wonder Boy III:
Desert
Entrance
Forest
Seaside

Dungeon Explorer:
Some Dungeon
Inn
Some Other Dungeon

Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu:
Level 1-2
Level 2-1

Legendary Axe 2:
Stage 3
Stage 4 (Nice and atmospheric)


There ya go.  All MP3s combined somewhere around 37MB so don't hurt yourselves.  :)

Odonadon

Just throwing this question out there - any objections to adding these mp3's to the Turbo2k mp3 player?  If there is enough interest and the original "owners" of the recording approve (Digi.k, Joe Redifer) I can add these no problem.

OD

Digi.k

#80
yes its recorded from emulation.  Using Yame but its not compatible with HES files..

Wow I really love Magical chase.. especially if u can hook it up to an old analogue amplifier as the base is really deep :shock:  
Moto Roader.. Masiya got much better with their music later on as well as Naxat.. but I honestly wished companies like Hudsonsoft and NEC pushed the system further as  even some of their later games IMO just sounded lacklustre.. (compare bomberman 94 to 93's music)...
Valkyire: Some of Namco's early games some of the high pitched notes it outputs a bit distorted and scratchy at times but I still love it.

Odon go ahead I dont mind.

and I'll try and get some more stuff recorded from hooking real hardware to PC when I can finish downloading *cough* nero wave editor and stuff..

EDIT:
a few recordings done with real hardware hooked up to my pc.. My line in don't work so I can only record from mic and the stereo been downgraded to mono mix..

/temp1.jpg


Populous recording with real PCE hardware. mono mix (can you tell the difference between this and the emulated populous above)??
Open populoustest.mp3

Dragon saber lvl 3 recording with real PCE. mono mix
Open dragonsabertest2.mp3

Dragon saber lvl 9(?) recording with real PCE. mono mix
Open dragonsabertest3.mp3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the arcade arrangements.  I thought it be interesting to make comparisons.  Generally IMO the arcade arrangement blows the pce out of the water but these particular tracks the vote on which version sounds better is divided.. They not staying up for long so get them while they're fresh!

Dragon Saber arcade lvl 3
Open dsaber-arcade rom lvl 3.mp3

Dragon Saber arcade lvl 9
Open dsaber-arcade rom lvl 8.mp3

Joe Redifer

Quote from: OdonadonJust throwing this question out there - any objections to adding these mp3's to the Turbo2k mp3 player?  If there is enough interest and the original "owners" of the recording approve (Digi.k, Joe Redifer) I can add these no problem.

OD

I see no problem with that.

Digi.k

I wanna add some more pc engine vs arcade game music comparisons:

These are ripped from pce emulation:
PCE Salamander area 1
Open salamanderlvl1.mp3

PCE Salamander area 4
Open salamanderlvl4.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit2.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit6.mp3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


arcade version music arrangements:

arcade salamander area 1
Open level1mp3.mp3

arcade salamander area 4
Open level4.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit-2-arcade rom.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit-6-arcade rom.mp3

Apart from the pce mp3's, the arcade music is not staying up for long so get them while they're hot!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Digi.kI wanna add some more pc engine vs arcade game music comparisons:

These are ripped from pce emulation:
PCE Salamander area 1
Open salamanderlvl1.mp3

PCE Salamander area 4
Open salamanderlvl4.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit2.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit6.mp3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


arcade version music arrangements:

arcade salamander area 1
Open level1mp3.mp3

arcade salamander area 4
Open level4.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit-2-arcade rom.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit-6-arcade rom.mp3

Apart from the pce mp3's, the arcade music is not staying up for long so get them while they're hot!

I liked the PC Engine versions of Salamander and Dragon Saber better.

I couldn't get more than one Dragon Spirit arcade track to play on the fly and I'm too lazy to download them right now.  :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Odonadon

QuoteI see no problem with that

Thanks guys, I've added them to the site.

OD

akamichi

Quote from: Digi.kI wanna add some more pc engine vs arcade game music comparisons:

These are ripped from pce emulation:
PCE Salamander area 1
Open salamanderlvl1.mp3

PCE Salamander area 4
Open salamanderlvl4.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit2.mp3

PCE dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit6.mp3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


arcade version music arrangements:

arcade salamander area 1
Open level1mp3.mp3

arcade salamander area 4
Open level4.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 2
Open dspirit-2-arcade rom.mp3

arcade dragon spirit area 6
Open dspirit-6-arcade rom.mp3

Apart from the pce mp3's, the arcade music is not staying up for long so get them while they're hot!

I've always been torn on which sound I like the best.  Dragon Spirit music is good on both the arcade and PCE, but just depends on my mood on which version I like better.

You should check out the Dragon Spirit music played from the Dragon Saber hardware.  Those are some really nice remixes.  It would be interesting to compare three different versions.

Haven't checked the Salamander tunes yet, but I remember the PCE music being fairly faithful to the original.

EDIT:  Ok, listened to the Salamander tracks.  I like the PCE ones better.  Hell, I think even the NES music rivals the arcade.  The arcade sounds nice, but doesn't seem as upbeat as the PCE and NES... especially the area 4 music.  The faster beat on the consoles make it much better than the arcade IMO.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe RediferVALKYRIE NO DENSETSU -
I have no goddamn clue what a "Densetsu" is, but I'm glad this game doesn't have any.  The title of this game kind of reminds me of ordering a cheeseburger at McDonalds (or wherever) without onions.  Cheeseburger, no onions!  Anyway the occasional chimes towards the beginning almost hurt my ears (physically) and I'm not even wearing headphones.  And the constant buzzzzzz in the background doesn't sound impressive.  The drums sound good.  The melody itself isn't anything too special.

Densetsu means Legend or Legendary.  Like Ankoku Densetsu(Legendary Axe 2) means Dark Legend.  Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu(Legend of Xanadu) means Wind of Legendary Xanadu, Seiken Densetsu I think means Holy Sword Legend, but don't quote me on that one :roll:   I've gotten used to some words, so that I can sometimes figure out what the name means.  Eiyuu Densetsu(Legend of Heroes) is Hero Legend :D
IMG

Joe Redifer

So I assume the English translation would be Valkyrie Legend or Legend of Valkyrie?

_Paul

Quote from: Joe RediferSo I assume the English translation would be Valkyrie Legend or Legend of Valkyrie?

The 'no' is a possessive particle so 'Legend of Valkyrie' is more exact.

Tatsujin

Quote from: CrackTiger[I liked the PC Engine versions of Salamander and Dragon Saber better.
especially the salamander tracks. they are by far better than the arcade pendants.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Kaminari

Quote from: Digi.kUsing Yame but its not compatible with HES files..

Give a try to Ootake. It has the best audio emulation around (and improvement is ongoing).

Digi.k

I just downloaded it and  tried it.   Ootake is pretty good BUT.. there's a big but..  Yame has record music to 'WAV' file which i can easilly make into MP3.. but again the problem is that HES files are not compatible.. >__<  

From what I can make out so far on Ootake is the record.. records into a DAT file.. which I don' know much about..

Apart from that I think Ootake's default music output sounds very close to a real pc engine.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Digi.kI just downloaded it and  tried it.   Ootake is pretty good BUT.. there's a big but..  Yame has record music to 'WAV' file which i can easilly make into MP3.. but again the problem is that HES files are not compatible.. >__<  

From what I can make out so far on Ootake is the record.. records into a DAT file.. which I don' know much about..

Apart from that I think Ootake's default music output sounds very close to a real pc engine.

Why not use those sound rip roms on Yame?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Quote from: CrackTigerWhy not use those sound rip roms on Yame?

because the music files I've downloaded from various places are either in HES format or PCE file format. (mostly about 90% of the music files are HES).. and Yame only works with PCE..  so I can only record about 10% of those music games.

ParanoiaDragon

What I wish, is that there was someway to just rip songs into a wav format, rather then sitting there & recording them.  That would make life easier :D
IMG

TurboXray

On a side note - isn't Ootake suppose to be using Ki's PC2E source?

2X4

Yame? Ootake?  What are these, I've only heard of nezplug, are those better?
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Kaminari

Quote from: BonknutsOn a side note - isn't Ootake suppose to be using Ki's PC2E source?

Ootake is the follow-up to PC2E.

Digi.k, you can easily overcome this limitation by using a dedicated recorder like Audacity.

TurboXray

I glad to hear that PC2E source is being put to use :)
It has the most accurate core HuC6280 emulation I've seen and tested against the real hardware, of all the emus.

Digi.k

Quote from: Kaminari
Quote from: BonknutsOn a side note - isn't Ootake suppose to be using Ki's PC2E source?

Ootake is the follow-up to PC2E.

Digi.k, you can easily overcome this limitation by using a dedicated recorder like Audacity.

Thank you!