OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

I think I may have just ruined a core grafx

Started by soop, 02/15/2017, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

Ok, so this serves me right for messing around, but I'm really worried because I think I've just fucked up a really nice Core Grafx.

I had a tenokoe bank, and I've sawed off the connector to the back of the PC bus.

I was testing it on a PCE, trying to see if a battery pack would power it by soldering on a portable speaker.  Assuming I had it the right way around, I'd soldered a1 and c1, a11 c20 and c21.

What could I have done?  I'm guessing the sound channels are nothing to do with anything, so I might have caused a short, or put power into the Vin and out of the Vout?

If anyone has any ideas or thinks it can be recovered, I'd be really grateful :(

*Edit* I think the + on the pcb should have gone to a11 and maybe the - should have gone to c21.  It would be nice to know, but right now I'm more concerned with fixing the console
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

Soop! It is nice to see you back here. Hopefully the PCE will survive your barbarity.

NOTE: I didn't think I'd ever have the opportunity to use "barbarity"  today :)

In the last 2-3 weeks l, my twins (5.5 years old) tried playing that motorcycle racing HuCARD you sent me years and years ago.

They thought it was OK, but they wanted to play Mr. Heli so I had to switch it out.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

soop

Hey Esteban!  Good to see you too old friend!  I forget which game it was, but if it was Bari Bari Densetsu, then you need to have better children*. Otherwise I forgive them.  Yeah, I hope I can recover it too, it's pristine, boxed and complete.  It was stupid of me to mess with it, but I see them as being indestructable sometimes :(

* Just kidding, the music is great, but Mr Heli is much more fun

mickcris

did you compensate that the connector on the ten no koe 2 has a mirrored pinout?

v out you would not need as that is to power external devices

did you check the fuse?

SignOfZeta

I assume it won't power on? You didn't say what happened.

The CG1 has a fuse, check it.

In the future, don't try to power a speaker from the bus. Give everything you add to this thing it's own power feed and protection.
IMG

soop

Sorry guys, yeah it wouldn't power on.  Swapped it with another console (mains, video, hucard) which worked fine.  I'll check the fuse.

When you say the tenokoe is mirrored, I'm wiring it from the bottom of the connector, so I'm ostensibly working from the back of the PCE at a 45 degree angle

mickcris

when i say mirrored i mean this:

pc engine
http://burogu.makotoworkshop.org/public/pc-engine/dsc05961.jpg

ten no koe 2
http://burogu.makotoworkshop.org/public/pc-engine/dsc07884.jpg

you can see the rgb pins would be the mirror opposite if the pcbs were plugged into each other.  not saying you did it, but some people might just look at this chart and get it backwards
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

soop

That is EXACTLY what I did.  FML.  I can't believe it.

Thanks Mickcris.

SignOfZeta

If you sent 12V from a battery to the video out pin...you're probably fucked. Good luck!
IMG

Keith Courage

if the fuse is good you should then check the 7805 voltage regulator to make sure it's still putting out 5V.

soop

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/15/2017, 07:47 PMIf you sent 12V from a battery to the video out pin...you're probably fucked. Good luck!
Only 5v, but still.  Can't believe I messed something that simple up.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/15/2017, 10:27 PMif the fuse is good you should then check the 7805 voltage regulator to make sure it's still putting out 5V.
Will do - thanks Keith

soop

Ok, well I just dug out my multimeter and one of the probes is broken, so that's out of action until I recieve the replacements.

However it looks like I had it the right way around horizontally, I just had it upside down.  So I was putting voltage into D6.

Fidde_se

Just had a quick check and D6 seems to go to the ribbon cable (First ribbon 9) ending up on pin 16 on the hucard connector and later on to IC201 and pin 12 on that, so if the hucard is still alive then I would guess IC201 is toast...
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

soop

Dammit.  Well my multimeter was broken, so while I await replacements I can't do much.  But the good thing is, although it was a really nice console, it wasn't my boxed mint one, so I'm much, much less panicked.