Project S-11 any thoughts?

Started by sirhcman, 02/21/2017, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhcman

I just blind purchased Project S-11 through ebay. Does anyone have any experience with it, both good or bad? Curious to see how it plays

Michirin9801

I think it's one of the most overrated "Hidden Gems" of the GBC, everyone who talks about it talks about how amazing the music is and I'm like "Wait what? Seriously? This music SUCKS! It's AWFUL!" and I mean it, the soundtrack abuses arpeggios like there's no tomorrow, and it physically hurts my ears! I believe it was Manfred Linzner who composed it, which baffles me because his music can be SO much better than that! Absolutely his worst soundtrack...
As for the gameplay? Double awful! Well, it's not as bad as the music, but have you ever played a spaceship shooter where you ship has momentum? No? That's because Spaceship shooters shouldn't have momentum... But this one DOES! You know what that means? That all the precision of controlling your ship is gone! So you're much more susceptible to cheap deaths and it's harder to hit your targets...
Not to mention, your weapons and powerups are bad! All of them! There's not a single spread-shot, and I think in some of them you have to keep on mashing the button to shoot, but I don't remember, I haven't played it in a long time, and I have no plans to play it ever again...

Oh well, at least the graphics are nice, I've seem them being described as "Almost 16 bit quality" and well, they're not far off, but it's of course not gonna look as good as a 'real' 16 bit shooter, but it does look pretty nice indeed...

But then again, this is all my personal opinion, you could end up loving the game, I know a lot of people do and that's fine, but I HATED this game, it's pretty much the worst shmup I've ever played...

sirhcman

Hey thanks for your honest assessment, I won't get my hopes to high once I finally get around to playing it! :)

Michirin9801

No problem! Maybe by going into it with lower expectations you might actually enjoy it unlike me...

esteban

Ok, I don't know this game. Damn. Now my interest is piqued.

Damn.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 03/08/2017, 05:44 PMOk, I don't know this game. Damn. Now my interest is piqued.

Damn.
Bought this new from a local game store a few years ago.  I opened it in the store just after paying and even though I think I paid $12 for it and the plastic was a little torn, the shop owners almost passed out when I opened the plastic.

...that was the most fun I had with this game.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/09/2017, 08:29 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/08/2017, 05:44 PMOk, I don't know this game. Damn. Now my interest is piqued.

Damn.
Bought this new from a local game store a few years ago.  I opened it in the store just after paying and even though I think I paid $12 for it and the plastic was a little torn, the shop owners almost passed out when I opened the plastic.

...that was the most fun I had with this game.
Hahahahhaha. Ok. :)

KPat

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your folks opinions on this little GBC cartridge as an atrocious handheld shooter.  Although its flaws are numerous, I'll give you a few things that to me, make it worth a play through.

Okay, first the momentum.  Yup, it kinda sucks and is not a welcome change coming from the many other tight-controlled vertical shooters we all know and love.  I find it helps to think of the ship as a land speeder, or something with more hovercraft-like physics to justify the weirdness.  Overall not great but when paired with the flamethrower power up it works.

The flamethrower (spinning red blades of destruction) along with the floaty physics creates a satisfying action of swooping back and forth while filling the screen with flowy flames of death (a powerup that I don't like in many shooters other than Fire Shark).

The soundtrack is straight from a 2am grindy rave, although far more uplifting.  Trance music on a Gameboy, who would have thought.  Sure it sounds crunchy with a weird fuzz filter, but an ambitious and bumping score from a single speaker. Kenhull Badlands from the second mission is especially rad.

Flawed, but with not a lot of other options for the handheld, a fun game to toss in every once in a while.

esteban

Quote from: KPat on 03/19/2017, 03:19 PMI am going to have to respectfully disagree with your folks opinions on this little GBC cartridge as an atrocious handheld shooter.  Although its flaws are numerous, I'll give you a few things that to me, make it worth a play through.

Okay, first the momentum.  Yup, it kinda sucks and is not a welcome change coming from the many other tight-controlled vertical shooters we all know and love.  I find it helps to think of the ship as a land speeder, or something with more hovercraft-like physics to justify the weirdness.  Overall not great but when paired with the flamethrower power up it works.

The flamethrower (spinning red blades of destruction) along with the floaty physics creates a satisfying action of swooping back and forth while filling the screen with flowy flames of death (a powerup that I don't like in many shooters other than Fire Shark).

The soundtrack is straight from a 2am grindy rave, although far more uplifting.  Trance music on a Gameboy, who would have thought.  Sure it sounds crunchy with a weird fuzz filter, but an ambitious and bumping score from a single speaker. Kenhull Badlands from the second mission is especially rad.

Flawed, but with not a lot of other options for the handheld, a fun game to toss in every once in a while.
I love your post.

This has rejuvenated my interest.

I am a whore for all shootemups, so I was going to eventually check it out.

But now I have a much better chance of appreciating the game for what it is. I try give all games a chance, but you can't help asking yourself, "Is this game worth it?"

You convinced me it is worth a chance. Or two.

:)

sirhcman

Thanks for giving your thoughts. I got the game and it is okay, the music sucks and the ship is a bit floaty. The graphics are nice but they can't make up for the previous two. 2 out of 5