Just bought a pc engine duo r from Japan

Started by Projekt Pat, 02/27/2017, 11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Projekt Pat

I think I got a decent deal. $220 shipped but it doesn't have the cables or controller. I have a turbografx so I think that the controller will work fine but even if it doesnt' I'm going to Japan in a few weeks I'll pick one up then.

Is there anything I should know? I'm a little worried about hardware problems, specifically the laser for the cd drive. I have a lot of bad luck with lasers from the 90s (Sega CD).

Can someone point me in the direction of a cheap power brick for this thing?

Keith Courage

The issue that DUO-R systems have is the ports need re-soldering because the connections get cracked over time. So the AV port, Power jack, and controller port should have the pins re-soldered. Other then that those systems are very reliable.

MisterCrash

The TurboGrafx pad has a slightly bigger connector than the Duo or PC Engine pads, so you will need to pick up a new pad for your system.

As for the power adapter, the US Duo adapter outputs DC 10V, with 1000 mA power draw. I don't know if the Duo-R is different than this, but I suspect they are the same. However, the SuperGrafx power adapter inverts polarity, so I could be wrong.

Keith Courage

He got a DUO-R. That uses a 9V 1000MA adapter with a 3.5mm x 1.35mm tip. + center for the tip.

MNKyDeth

One thing I have noticed with the original power adapters is none of the ones I have ever seen run at their rated voltages. Even with a new cap put in them.

TurboDuo / PC Engine Duo always put out almost exactly 16v
PC Engine Duo-R almost always put out 14.5v

I have found using CCTV power supplies are the best and usually much cheaper solution than using an original power supply. Going to cheap on the supply can cause cd-rom reading issues I have also found. The cd-rom issues usually arise with the cheap 9v 1500ma ones.

Remember the 7805's take any voltage and reduce the voltage to 5v. So the higher the volts the more heat is output into the system. So I have been sticking to 12v cctv ones if I get a system that does not have a power supply.

For a Duo-R
power supply = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-DC-12V-5000mA-REGULATED-UL-2-1mm-5-5mm-DC12V5000mA-/231423906054?hash=item35e1f09106

adapter =  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-DC-Power-3-5mm-x-1-35mm-Male-Plug-To-5-5x2-1mm-Female-Jack-Adapter-Connector-/252439063719?hash=item3ac68a6ca7:g:~NgAAOSwNuxXb7Xw

Less voltage then the original power supply so it will run cooler and plenty of current so there are no cd-rom issues. You can get cheaper ones, 3000ma etc I just make sure to get regulated supplies or ones marked as such for my own personal preference.

I make A/V cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162365179524?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

At that point it's just a matter of finding a proper controller that fits your needs the best.

Projekt Pat

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/28/2017, 06:46 AMThe issue that DUO-R systems have is the ports need re-soldering because the connections get cracked over time. So the AV port, Power jack, and controller port should have the pins re-soldered. Other then that those systems are very reliable.
Are there any videos or anything that show how to do this? Maybe someone in the central florida area who does it?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 02/28/2017, 10:44 AMOne thing I have noticed with the original power adapters is none of the ones I have ever seen run at their rated voltages. Even with a new cap put in them.

TurboDuo / PC Engine Duo always put out almost exactly 16v
PC Engine Duo-R almost always put out 14.5v

I have found using CCTV power supplies are the best and usually much cheaper solution than using an original power supply. Going to cheap on the supply can cause cd-rom reading issues I have also found. The cd-rom issues usually arise with the cheap 9v 1500ma ones.

Remember the 7805's take any voltage and reduce the voltage to 5v. So the higher the volts the more heat is output into the system. So I have been sticking to 12v cctv ones if I get a system that does not have a power supply.

For a Duo-R
power supply = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-DC-12V-5000mA-REGULATED-UL-2-1mm-5-5mm-DC12V5000mA-/231423906054?hash=item35e1f09106

adapter =  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-DC-Power-3-5mm-x-1-35mm-Male-Plug-To-5-5x2-1mm-Female-Jack-Adapter-Connector-/252439063719?hash=item3ac68a6ca7:g:~NgAAOSwNuxXb7Xw

Less voltage then the original power supply so it will run cooler and plenty of current so there are no cd-rom issues. You can get cheaper ones, 3000ma etc I just make sure to get regulated supplies or ones marked as such for my own personal preference.

I make A/V cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162365179524?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

At that point it's just a matter of finding a proper controller that fits your needs the best.
Why are you telling people to buy a 12V power supply for a 9V device and then saying it will run "cooler"? Is this thing selectable or did you post the wrong link or something?

A better supply than the original is not hard to find because everything is IC based now instead of transformer based.  9V 1000mA. If it's not a complete POS then this is all you'll need.
IMG

mickcris

The originals are unregulated.  They should read close to what they state on them if you test the voltage under load.

MNKyDeth

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/28/2017, 12:27 PMWhy are you telling people to buy a 12V power supply for a 9V device and then saying it will run "cooler"? Is this thing selectable or did you post the wrong link or something?

A better supply than the original is not hard to find because everything is IC based now instead of transformer based.  9V 1000mA. If it's not a complete POS then this is all you'll need.
Even when using the original power supplies as mickcris stated will show a lower voltage when under load. So I went through the 4 PAD-129's and one PAD-130 I have sitting here and tested each one under load using a HuCard and then reading a game disc.

The lowest voltage I saw out of the 5 original supplies while reading a cd-rom game disc was 11.75v. The lowest voltage I saw with the 5 original power supplies while having a HuCard in the system was 12.25v

This tells me the 12v regulated supply will be about the same as an original supply rated at 9v.
So yes, I was wrong to say it would run cooler, but I was right to recommend a quality regulated 12v supply.

The 9v supplies I have and tested work in these systems just fine with original cd-rom game discs. As soon as I try a burned game these 9v supplies no longer allow the system to read discs. Simply swapping the 9v supply out for an original or one of these 12v supplies allows the burned discs to be read. I have not found any exceptions to my testing.

The 9v supplies are good as long as you don't want to use burned discs.

SignOfZeta

Trying to read a CD-R consumes 3V off the top? In this system? That's nuts for more reasons than I care to type. What are your current consumption numbers?

I have a Radio Shack 9V 1500mA power supply I've been using for ten years. I've had zero issues with anything, even while playing a CD-R with five controllers in.
IMG

Projekt Pat

I have a 12v 5a power supply. Will that be sufficient?

SignOfZeta

It will easily run four Duos at once.
IMG

Projekt Pat

Well I'm asking because apparently the fuse in my sega cd blew from using the wrong power supply.

mickcris

Just make sure it's center positive.  Probably used the wrong polarity on your sega cd

Projekt Pat

no idea what that means

I used a sega model 1 ac adapter that the dumbass store I bought the cd from gave me. Apparently there's a history of that causing the fuses to blow.

SignOfZeta

Two things will cause the power supply to blow a fuse in the system:

The voltage is too high
You plugged it in backwards

I agree that the latter is most likely. Those concentric power plugs have an inside and an outside. One is the ground and one is + and there is no consistency between devices. If you flip them the best you can get is nothing, it gets worse from there.

If you're using one of these supplies than can flow 6x the current of the OEM then I wouldn't be surprised if it did even more damage than just plugging the OEM equivalent in backwards.
IMG

Projekt Pat

as I said it was a sega model 1 power brick ac adapter. I don't understand how it could be plugged in wrong.

Anyway are you saying that I shouldn't use the 12v 5a supply on the duo r

mickcris

Not sure what would have caused the Sega cd fuse to blow as that should have been the right supply.

Just get one of these as it's it's known to work with the duo-r.  That way there is no question as to hurting your system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232205410083

Pokun

Quote from: Projekt Pat on 03/02/2017, 12:11 AMas I said it was a sega model 1 power brick ac adapter. I don't understand how it could be plugged in wrong.

Anyway are you saying that I shouldn't use the 12v 5a supply on the duo r
There are five main things you should look for when it comes to AC-DC adapters:

Input Voltage: This should match the AC current in your wall outlet in your country. Japan have 100 V, AC.

Output Voltage: This should match what the machine expects. The Duo R expects 9 V, DC (as written on the console near the power plug port). If it's lower it might not be stable, and if higher it may break the system (or blow a fuse if it has one). The voltage regulator in the machine may have some tolerance though so it might be able to take +/- some volts.

Output Current: This doesn't have to match, it just needs to be enough for what the system requires. If you are using lots of things that draws more power, like a multitap + 5 pads, Everdrive etc, you might need a higher current. The original Duo R adapter outputs 1000 mA (i.e. 1 A) so make sure your adapter outputs around that value, or a litte more.

Polarity: Either center negative or center positive. DC power is polar so this must match what the machine expects. Duo R expects center positive (again written on the console). Center positive means the inner of the barrel of the plug is positive and the outer barrel is negative. If this is wrong the system may be damaged or a fuse blows (unless it has diodes that prevents that).
+ ---(--- - Center Negative Symbol
- ---(--- + Center Positive Symbol
Some unversal AC adapters have a switchable plug so you can switch between the two polarities. The stock adapters that comes with consoles usually cannot do this though so there is no way you can insert them wrongly. If it blew bacause of this, it just means you used the wrong adapter for the system.

Barrel Size: Of course the barrel plug has to fit your machine.

A higher voltage shouldn't help with CD-R discs I think. Maybe a higher current may do though. I'm using the original Duo R adapter "PAD-129" and I can play uisng HuCards, CDs, CD-Rs, Everdrive, Multitap (haven't tried 5 pads + Everdrive though) etc with no problems.
If you measure an AC adapter you have to measure it under load or it will give you the wrong values.

If you have problems with the original adapter it is probably because it has degraded over time. Get a new quality AC-DC adapter that fulfills the requirements of the system in that case.

SignOfZeta

Yes to all that.

Now I want to study power consumption versus CD-R/legit. I've never been a fan of the idea that CD-Rs ruin a system but if higher current draw can be measured then there would finally be some evidence to that theory.

However, from testing I've done in the past I seem to remember that peak current draw on a Duo occurs as the laser sled moves long distances, not from just the laser itself. I'm pretty sure it won't prove much but it would be cool to see.
IMG

SamIAm

QuoteOutput Voltage: This should match what the machine expects. The Duo R expects 9 V, DC (as written on the console near the power plug port). If it's lower it might not be stable, and if higher it may break the system (or blow a fuse if it has one). The voltage regulator in the machine may have some tolerance though so it might be able to take +/- some volts.
The kind of regulators that these systems use (usually 78xx) can take any higher voltage and turn it into whatever standard it's designed to output, but not lower voltages.

Also, the greater the excess voltage, the hotter the regulator will run, and it will reach a breakdown point eventually. I'm not surprised that 12V works fine for a Duo "expecting" 9V, but I bet that 20V could cause trouble. I think the 7805 is rated for 24V maximum, but it can't handle very much current draw at that level without getting really hot.

Slypty

If you use the original Adapter, the output will be more in North America than in Japan due to the Voltage differences from the outlets.  For instance, if you have the original Japanese Supply which outputs 9VDC, if you plug it in to a wall here it will actually output something like 14VDC.  The reason is that there is no step down converter installed to adjust for the output from our outlets.

Although you can still use the original Supply, it's better to find something from here if you want to be accurate with how much you give your Duo.

MNKyDeth

Just so everyone is aware the US TurboDuo adapter outputs exactly the same as the PC Engine Duo adapter.

So when they released the US TurboDuo they made absolutely no changes to the adapter internally for the differences in voltages.

Pokun

Quote from: SamIAm on 03/02/2017, 09:28 PM
QuoteOutput Voltage: This should match what the machine expects. The Duo R expects 9 V, DC (as written on the console near the power plug port). If it's lower it might not be stable, and if higher it may break the system (or blow a fuse if it has one). The voltage regulator in the machine may have some tolerance though so it might be able to take +/- some volts.
The kind of regulators that these systems use (usually 78xx) can take any higher voltage and turn it into whatever standard it's designed to output, but not lower voltages.

Also, the greater the excess voltage, the hotter the regulator will run, and it will reach a breakdown point eventually. I'm not surprised that 12V works fine for a Duo "expecting" 9V, but I bet that 20V could cause trouble. I think the 7805 is rated for 24V maximum, but it can't handle very much current draw at that level without getting really hot.
Yes, I'm no engineer, but from what I understand, you also need to think about other factors like heatsinks and how it is used with the console. The 7805 voltage regulator is used in about all of the video game systems from NEC/Hudson, Nintendo and Sega of the era, but still they are often rated slightly differently (polarity also often varies between consoles). I think it's best to stay close to what NEC rated their consoles to.

If you need more power, you increase current instead of voltage.
Voltage (in volt, V) * Current (in ampere, A) = Power (in watt, W or voltampere, VA)

Quote from: Slypty on 03/03/2017, 07:43 AMIf you use the original Adapter, the output will be more in North America than in Japan due to the Voltage differences from the outlets.  For instance, if you have the original Japanese Supply which outputs 9VDC, if you plug it in to a wall here it will actually output something like 14VDC.  The reason is that there is no step down converter installed to adjust for the output from our outlets.

Although you can still use the original Supply, it's better to find something from here if you want to be accurate with how much you give your Duo.
Yes, I think North American wall outlets are using something like 110-120 V while Japan is 100 V. Many Americans doesn't seem to care about using a step-down converter either.
I'm in Sweden (230 V) so I need to use a step-down when I'm using the stock adapter or I'll fry my PC Engine.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Slypty on 03/03/2017, 07:43 AMIf you use the original Adapter, the output will be more in North America than in Japan due to the Voltage differences from the outlets.  For instance, if you have the original Japanese Supply which outputs 9VDC, if you plug it in to a wall here it will actually output something like 14VDC.  The reason is that there is no step down converter installed to adjust for the output from our outlets.

I don't think it's anything like 9V versus 14. That would be a increase of %44 for only a %10-20 bump in VAC.
IMG

Slypty

I'm not sure the exact ratio measurement, but most of my Famicom AC Adapters I get output around 15-18VDC, which is a big difference.. sounds odd but it is pretty consistent.

thesteve

on the DUO-R the sega geni2 plug works, the geni1 plug wont fit in the hole
the polarity and voltage is close enough to work fine
if its blowing fuses, you have a short
it could be a bad regulator, shorted chip, or solder bridge
whatever it is, odds are you can find it with an ohm meter across the duo power  traces (with unit unplugged)