10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Poor color choices...

Started by Dicer, 04/26/2017, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dicer

OK, so we know older console hardware has a limited color palette, but for the most part developers worked around it or made the best use of what they had as their disposal.

And sometimes they did not, lets discuss those times

I give you, DRAGON'S REVENGE
You could tell me this was a C=64 game and I'd buy it. I mean these color choices are HORRID.
I mean we all know the Genny was lacking in total on screen colrs but still some games look amazing and colorful then we get this abomination.

The Genesis really did get boned on pinball games, sadly.

Psycho Punch

genesis_does_brown.png... The bonus levels are colorful but they have that digitized/traced over look, ugh

It's hard to do proper art in limited palette color, especially with a tilemap based system to annoy you even more. I mean, look at my NES game, it's basically monochromatic because of my limited art abilities (aka programmer art) because I chose the 14 colors for the bg/sprite poorly... but there's plenty of colorful games on the NES. Western console devs art didn't even compare to japanese productions overall so it's understandable why Dragon's Revenge's art isn't all that good.

ps: that's a very odd game compared to Naxat's own pinball games.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

SNES and 16-bit arcade games are full of poor color usage. Limits can be as helpful as they are limiting.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Michirin9801

The colours are kinda crap but what bothers me the most about this game is the abysmal sound...
Oh well, it's a western Genesis game, I'd only expect as much...

esteban

Hahahaha.

Punch beat me to it.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

I do remember looking in game mags around '92 or '93 and being disgusted by the dark, muddy screenshots of Genesis games.  It seemed like green and purple everywhere.

Particularly Sonic Spinball and Batman Returns.

Do a Google Image search, and yep. 

LINK1

LINK2

Dicer

I know the genny is at the low end of the stick when it comes to color, but many devs did a surprisingly decent job...but even SEGA faltered with color choices now and again

Others well...let's just say browns and purples rule the day.

NoSexGex

This game has a very unique look to it, never knew about it until now. Thanks for sharing, the opening cut scene is.. interestingly drawn
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

SuperGrafx

Check out Super Hydlide.

While the game is a personal favorite of mine (and yes, I am aware of its Japanese PC origins) but goddamn...at first glance it is absolutely horrid. 
Just a random mixture of greens, browns and orange for the various landscapes.  And then microscopic characters and choppy animation. 

I grew to love it due to the weight system and day/night cycles, but I was sorely disappointed at this 16 bit effort back in the day.