OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Shootie arcade mode thread

Started by nectarsis, 05/02/2017, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nectarsis

I remember some time ago we had a thread listing all the shooties with arcade modes with a lot of pictures.... does anybody know what happened to it our search is worthless as usual
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

roflmao

Quote from: nectarsis on 05/02/2017, 12:13 AMI remember some time ago we had a thread listing all the shooties with arcade modes with a lot of pictures.... does anybody know what happened to it our search is worthless as usual
I think this might be the thread you're looking for?
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4934.0

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 05/02/2017, 01:14 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 05/02/2017, 12:13 AMI remember some time ago we had a thread listing all the shooties with arcade modes with a lot of pictures.... does anybody know what happened to it our search is worthless as usual
I think this might be the thread you're looking for?
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4934.0
Good eye Dano :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

esteban

Obligatory:

https://www.tg-16.com/arcade-mode-high-resolution-shmups.htm

If you notice anything that can be fixed/updated, please tell me.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

EmperorIng

Quote from: esteban on 05/02/2017, 09:19 AMObligatory:

https://www.tg-16.com/arcade-mode-high-resolution-shmups.htm

If you notice anything that can be fixed/updated, please tell me.

"Many people appreciate the option to play in "Arcade Mode""

[citation needed]

There are people who appreciate having less space to maneuver in Image Fight?!?

SignOfZeta

If it's like most of these games, you dont have less room. Everything is the same except it's squished.

It's possible that some of these are redrawn and tweaked to run narrow but I would take a lot of extra work to to a good job on both versions, so they usually didn't, which is probably why most of these are hidden. You could achieve the same affect by putting a warped lens on your TV or adjusting the scan of your analog monitor.

If any really do have an arcade aspect ratio but not ovular circles and ships that move twice as fast in one direction as another, it would be really cool to have a list of those. I don't think the fans of this mode could tell the difference though...they just seem to he head over heals in love with squishing games.

Do you guys wish you could squish Mario Bros or Metal Gesr Solid?
IMG

esteban

Hahahjajajjaja. 

Ok, I have no evidence beyond a handful of anecdotals.

Here's why I like this sort of thing:

(1) buy game
(2) play it to death
(3) bored
(4) no money
(5) bored
(6) no money
(7) any novelty to breathe new fun into an old game is greatly appreciated...
(8) create your own rules/challenges for beating game
(9) play in the "squished screen" mode and pretend that it is special
(10) combine 8+9

Seriously, it's that simple.

I am easily amused...

SignOfZeta

Now that I understand. I'll play through a whole game again just because I got a new controller.
IMG

crazydean

If you're looking to get more bang for your buck, turn the tv on its side. Now your vertical shooter is a horizontal shooter! Amazing!

Arkhan Asylum

THEYRE ALL ARCADE MODE IF YOU STAND UP.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

shubibiman

Actually, these arcade modes change the resolution of the game. It switches to a higher resolution. I think it's quite cool, even though it's a bit pointless.

I sometimes wonder if a genuine tate mode could have been done on a PCE game.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SignOfZeta

Yes, it does switch the resolution...in one direction.. That's why it no longer spans the screen. The issue is that's ALL they changed so the end result is that the screen is optically narrower, exactly like if you had a anamorphic lens on sideways. Every pixel is the same size and shape as it was before and in the same place as it was before reletive to other sprites. The difference is they changed the width resolution to a higher res thereby squishing the screen vertically so your ship is moving faster side to side (reletive to actual screen dimension) than it does up and down.

More correctly, the resolution of the game stays the same, only the output of the PCE itself changes, and in one direction only.

Fuck it. I can't explain it to people in terms people understand and I'm too lazy to make a fucking video for people who can't read.

Ok, one last chance...you know how your grandma watches the news in wide mode even though the analog cable she's getting is 4:3 so all the circles are ovals and everyone is fat? "Arcade mode" is exactly the same as that except instead of streatching it wide, your smooshing it thin. The other difference of course is that your grandma is almost blind and doesn't give a shit and PCE fans are sitting on thousands of dollars worth of games and systems and Framemeisters and shit so you'd think they'd know better.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/22/2017, 12:11 PMI sometimes wonder if a genuine tate mode could have been done on a PCE game.
With a literally sideways monitor?  Of course it could do that; it'd just need art designed to run in that direction.  Since the scan lines would be going the right way, it'd make it easier to do parallax.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

It would make vertical parallax easier and horizontal parallax harder to do.

Many PCE vertical shooters use horizontal scrolling and vertical tile layer "folding" for great effects. A tate mode PCE shooter would likely lose more than it would gain for parallax effects.

Vertical strips of the tile layer sliding behind each other horizontally doesn't work as well as the oppisite for vertical scrolling games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I would love to see it.

Possibly there is a more automated way of drawing the entire game twice nowadays, as opposed to doing it all by hand like in the olden days. If someone were to make a new shooter that is very fancy maybe we'll see it some day.
IMG

shubibiman

I know how all this works, thanks ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion