crappy mod work

Started by gojira1954, 05/03/2017, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gojira1954

crazydean

Since there is no description, I am going to assume you did this yourself.

gojira1954

I'm not to that standard yet

MobiusStripTech

Why are there full size caps instead of mini caps for under the cd drive? And I feel like this is missing lots of epoxy and hot glue.

SignOfZeta

Those caps look like you just sprinkled them onto the board.

Kids should really take a shop class before trying this shit, assuming shop classes still exist. This thing where people learn everything from forums has its limitations.

EDIT: Holy shit. I just noticed he bugged the transistors and they are just sorta hanging out above the...is that the CPU? That isn't all that safe for the PCE.
IMG

GohanX

What's breadboard? Never heard of it.

gojira1954

no hot glue, there was some clingfilm tho

/107qu74.jpg

majors

But is if fully operational? I mean, are you planning to get a custom clear acrylic case for it?

The few re-caps I have done look like that, sans the cling wrap and red tape. Surface mount caps are harder for me, but I will agree, it does looks nicer when you can use them.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

gojira1954

Yeah a custom clear case would be natty
Didn't think recaps are necessary on duo-r/rx anyway?
This console arrived working and left working

sirhcman

I know next to nothing about mod work but I would think cling wrap, with its static properties would not be good for use inside of electrical components

ChuChu Flamingo

It must be Drakon's protege.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: majors on 05/05/2017, 07:56 AMBut is if fully operational? I mean, are you planning to get a custom clear acrylic case for it?

The few re-caps I have done look like that, sans the cling wrap and red tape. Surface mount caps are harder for me, but I will agree, it does looks nicer when you can use them.
Take nothing, leave only footprints.
IMG

MobiusStripTech

Recaps are not needed for Duo R/RX, they use decent quality through hole. However they should have used minicaps for under the laser.

SignOfZeta

I seriously hope that if I have to buy another PCE that it isn't all fucked up like this, that goes double for 21 century semiconductors that don't belong.
IMG

gojira1954

yeah looked nice from the outside :/
this was bought off ebay recently by someone who sent it to me for jailbar fixing

wilykat

I still think people needs to be licensed to use any kind of soldering iron.  A 100w iron may get hot fast but there's a reason it's generally used in plumbing and big ass wiring work, not for recapping.

And electric tape are shit in the long run. The plastic generally shrink and warp and often leave sticky residue that are damn near impossible to clean off. If anyone needs to rework on that Duo board in a few years, I'd wear rubber gloves to avoid sticky mess.  Cling wrap... just no. Won't stay clinged in place and can fry sensitive parts.