OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Is there much market for a Wii?

Started by mitsuman, 05/15/2017, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitsuman

I've been thinking of selling our Wii and all the games and controllers we have. But yesterday, my two daughters started replaying a game that my oldest beat a few years ago.

Is it worth trying to sell it?

Gypsy

SignOfZeta

IMG

SignOfZeta

I have a super humid garage. Due to the way the land lies it just gets ridiculously wet in there. I had a car with a semi-failed ignition coil and on really wet days it would misfire terribly before warming up. If you ever parked it anywhere else it would be fine.

Now my newer TDI has a slight hesitation sometimes after being parked there, possibly the same cause, although obviously problematic for different physical reasons since this engine has no ignition coil. Maybe the injector tips foul slightly if the first fire if day is super wet...don't know. I left town for a week, drove all over Ohio and Kentucky and didn't see this problem once.

Btw, the Miata starts fine, no issues relating to this.

[EDIT] Sorry, this was meant for the mold/humidity thread.
IMG

mitsuman

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/15/2017, 05:51 PMBtw, the Miata starts fine, no issues relating to this.
Miata...MIATA!?!?!?

IMG

I will hopefully be the owner of a Miata soon. Trying to work out a trade for my current project to get a Miata.

SignOfZeta

Man, I sure put that in the wrong thread, I did.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: mitsuman on 05/15/2017, 05:17 PMI've been thinking of selling our Wii and all the games and controllers we have. But yesterday, my two daughters started replaying a game that my oldest beat a few years ago.

Is it worth trying to sell it?
I still have the Wii and playing it with my kids is still fun.

Of course, they are 5.5, 5.5 and 13 years old. So, they go along with my suggestions.

I will gladly buy any games you want to sell me (obviously, they need to be non-crap)

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I use my Wii mainly for PCE and MD emulation, which it does almost perfectly.
IMG

crazydean

Wii is awesome. It's basically a GameCube so you can play GC games without emulation using component cables. Also, you can hack it and play NES, SNES, MD, TG games via very good emulation.

jtucci31

Keep it for bowling and tennis!! I still think they're really fun.

I've also been meaning to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. They're cheap and look pretty good.

So keep it.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2017, 10:11 PMKeep it for bowling and tennis!! I still think they're really fun.

I've also been meaning to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. They're cheap and look pretty good.

So keep it.
Do it. They are definitely worth playing and well worth their going rate compared to many titles.

crazydean

Galaxy is great! Although the second installment just felt like more of the same.

Winniez

Absolutely worth keeping, not only has it a very nice and unique game library (when you dig past all the shovel ware that is) it also has a built in GC, which means that its the best way to play GC games unless you have that ridiculously expensive GC component cable.
And it gets even better, Wii is very easy to modify to play all kinds of emulators and ISOs.
Besides you would not get much from it.

Gypsy

Quote from: crazydean on 05/15/2017, 10:20 PMGalaxy is great! Although the second installment just felt like more of the same.
Oh definitely, just like the NSBM games are all samey. But I don't mind paying $10 for more levels of fun. Full retail on the other hand meh.

Winniez

Oh, and Mario Galaxies are great. Be sure to play Donkey Kong Country Returns aswell. It almost feels like a SNES/PCE game sprinkled with updated visuals.

crazydean

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/15/2017, 10:22 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 05/15/2017, 10:20 PMGalaxy is great! Although the second installment just felt like more of the same.
Oh definitely, just like the NSBM games are all samey. But I don't mind paying $10 for more levels of fun. Full retail on the other hand meh.
Bleh. Don't care for the new SMB games. I guess it's the controls I don't like. For whatever reason, I'm done with them.

Winniez

NSMB games were great when first introduced but the formula is getting really tired. And I'm not a big fan of the physics. Mario is almost too easy and floaty to control and I just don't get the same satisfaction from jumping around that I got from Mario 3.

Gypsy

Quote from: Winniez on 05/15/2017, 10:26 PMNSMB games were great when first introduced but the formula is getting really tired. And I'm not a big fan of the physics. Mario is almost too easy and floaty to control and I just don't get the same satisfaction from jumping around that I got from Mario 3.
All the newer titles I've played have been insanely easy. I'd have to try to die in Galaxy 1-2, Mario 3D World, any of the NSMBs etc...

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to make them as challenging as even previous Mario games which are still quite easy to beat compared to many other games of their era.

Winniez

I don't mind the lack of difficulty in the 3D-Mario games as much but the NSMB series feels too easy.
NES Mario games got difficulty just right in my opinnion except the frustrating Japanese Mario 2. Mario 3 on Famicom is btw considerably more difficult, I just beat it the other day. Unlike in the western release you go back to being small Mario after a hit no matter the suit/power up you are wearing.

Dicer

Keep it
Hack it
Mod it
Know it
Love it

Wii is a fun little machine, don't let her go.

NecroPhile

At least keep it until your girls are done.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

mitsuman

So it sounds like I have some research to do and maybe start adding to my Wii library.

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2017, 10:13 AMAt least keep it until your girls are done.
Nah, I love ruining their fun, and childhood!!!  :twisted:

TDIRunner

I would keep it since you aren't going to get much for it anyways.  Games for the Wii are super cheap right now, so it's the time to pickup some of the really fun games for the system.  While the Wii has arguably the worst ratio of shovelware to total game library of any home console, it still has some great stand out titles.  Plus it's the cheapest way to play GameCube games through component.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

ClodBusted

Keep it. And get Rhythm Heaven for Wii. Play it and then watch the fanmade NSFW remix 10 flash Video. Mind blown.

bob

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2017, 05:23 PMGynt is going for a Wii fullset. In all seriousness, he may be interested in some of the games.
lol.  no he isnt.  i realized i wasnt going to get Mensa so i sold up and got out.

Gypsy

Quote from: TDIRunner on 05/16/2017, 11:18 AMI would keep it since you aren't going to get much for it anyways.  Games for the Wii are super cheap right now, so it's the time to pickup some of the really fun games for the system.  While the Wii has arguably the worst ratio of shovelware to total game library of any home console, it still has some great stand out titles.  Plus it's the cheapest way to play GameCube games through component.
Right on. There are absolutely great Wii games buyable for under $10.

And yeah, Gamecube games with ypbpr. It's like...a BUTTCRACK worse than a GCN with GCN ypbpr cables but lol at the price point of those cables.

bartre

Quote from: mitsuman on 05/16/2017, 10:22 AMSo it sounds like I have some research to do and maybe start adding to my Wii library.
I'll save you some research-
The Last Story - My favorite RPG of that generation. some of the OG  Final Fantasy dudes worked on it, and the battle system was good enough to warrant online multiplayer.
FortuneStreet - Basically Mario Party x Dragon Quest. and way cheaper than the main MP titles.
Klonoa - iirc it's a remake of the PSX game(?) but it's a real fun 2.5D platformer.
No More Heroes 1/2 - the PS3 version of 1 is better, but they're both fun hack n slash games with the suda51 flavor.
Mario Sports games (in particular Strikers) - "blah blah blah, easy to play hard to master, blah blah blah" they're fun.
Pikmin 1/2 - the way the games were meant to be played.
Zack & Wiki: the Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - think old school point 'n click adventure, but with the 'thing' being it's about how you hold & use the remote. fun problem solver.
De Blob - I'm a sucker for games about color & music, this one has some nice personality, plus it's like $5.

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/16/2017, 05:44 PMAnd yeah, Gamecube games with ypbpr. It's like...a BUTTCRACK worse than a GCN with GCN ypbpr cables but lol at the price point of those cables.
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5689&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DZKHKuzYt1wg6bnzMFLM9mlpuqc6QhSPoasf0BMY9qRoCojvw_wcB

I've been using these for years, great cables

mitsuman

Quote from: bartre on 05/16/2017, 07:54 PM
Quote from: mitsuman on 05/16/2017, 10:22 AMSo it sounds like I have some research to do and maybe start adding to my Wii library.
The Last Story - My favorite RPG of that generation. some of the OG  Final Fantasy dudes worked on it, and the battle system was good enough to warrant online multiplayer.
FortuneStreet - Basically Mario Party x Dragon Quest. and way cheaper than the main MP titles.
Klonoa - iirc it's a remake of the PSX game(?) but it's a real fun 2.5D platformer.
No More Heroes 1/2 - the PS3 version of 1 is better, but they're both fun hack n slash games with the suda51 flavor.
Mario Sports games (in particular Strikers) - "blah blah blah, easy to play hard to master, blah blah blah" they're fun.
Zack & Wiki: the Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - think old school point 'n click adventure, but with the 'thing' being it's about how you hold & use the remote. fun problem solver.
De Blob - I'm a sucker for games about color & music, this one has some nice personality, plus it's like $5.

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/16/2017, 05:44 PMAnd yeah, Gamecube games with ypbpr. It's like...a BUTTCRACK worse than a GCN with GCN ypbpr cables but lol at the price point of those cables.
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5689&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DZKHKuzYt1wg6bnzMFLM9mlpuqc6QhSPoasf0BMY9qRoCojvw_wcB

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

Gypsy

Quote from: bartre on 05/16/2017, 07:54 PM

I got an oem cable with my system and it's totally fine.

As for recommendations I will second Last Story for sure, it was my favourite of the op rainfall games. Gameplay was addicting and some of the villains were actually pretty cool.

Yes Klonoa is a remake and the Wii version is way cheaper, it's pretty good.

I'll pretty much second everything but the NMH games. Just not into Suda.

I will add...

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - Great entry in the series. Bit pricey now, but play it one way or another. ;)

Ultimate Shooting Collection - Compilation of 3 Milestone shooters. Cheap way to get these games. Nothing amazing but it's three in one for some competent shooters.

Arc Rise Fantasia - One of my favourite JRPGs of this gen. You have to get past the bad voice acting.

Castle Shikigami 3 - Quality shooting.

Sin and Punishment - Treasure goodness.

bob

if this is now a recomendation thread then definately check out Lost in Shadow

Michirin9801

You guys sure don't disappoint! Loads of great suggestions in here, I'll second pretty much everything and add a few of mine:

Warioware Smooth Moves: The 2nd best in the series right next to Twisted on the GBA, the game is absolutely hilarious and loads of fun either alone or with friends! It's motion controls done right.

Wario Land Shake it: Similar to the classic Wario Land games on the GB, GBC and GBA, not quite as good as WL4 on GBA, but I'd say it's easily the 2nd best! It's got beautiful hand-drawn graphics (I wish more modern games looked like it), and if you get past a bit of waggling here and there it plays fine too!

Muramasa the Demon Blade: You can also get it on the Vita in higher resolution, but the Wii version is pretty good too, I haven't played much of it but I loved what I did play, the graphics are once again hand-drawn and I LOVE them, they're gorgeous! It's got a whole lot of parallax scrolling too so that's good, and the combat is so satisfying! If I'm not mistaken It's a Metroidvania style game, and a good one at that!
You can use the Classic Controller with this one, so no waggling required!

House of the Dead Overkill: Want a horror B-Movie turned into an on-rails shooter? This is the game for you! I've only played it once on a friend's Wii, but I loved it so much that I can already highly recommend it!

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition: You've probably already played it, but let me tell you, the Wii version is the definitive way to play it! Aiming with the Wiimote never felt so natural!

Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth: The last Castlevania game to use the classic linear style, and in my opinion, the last good Castlevania, it's got one of the best soundtracks in the series and the graphics and gameplay are basically what you'd expect from the series on a 480p system, a must-play for any fan of the series who owns a Wii!

Contra Rebirth: Same as the above, except with Contra, it's pretty damn good too! Although you might find it a bit too easy...

Gradius Rebirth: Same as the previous two, but with Gradius, you get the gist of it...

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: No list of mine would be complete without a good'ol Fighting game, but this one uses the same engine as Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, but it runs on the Wii, and it does so pretty damn smoothly! Ain't that impressive? Well so is the whole rest of the game! Just make sure you play it with a classic controller or a Wii Arcade Stick, a must-play for fighting game fans who own a Wii!

By the way, hack your Wii, just do it, it's really worth it! Loads of great emulators for it!

ClodBusted

I agree that the Konami Rebirth series is awesome, especially Castlevania. Just be aware to toggle your Wii into 4:3 mode from the Wii's system menu for all the Rebirth games. This will make sure all pixels are crisp. Otherwise these three games are programmed to do some unnecessary scaling and filtering, returning a visibly more blurry screen. Try for yourself to see what I'm talking about.

Might only apply when using component cables.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2017, 01:07 AMI agree that the Konami Rebirth series is awesome, especially Castlevania. Just be aware to toggle your Wii into 4:3 mode from the Wii's system menu for all the Rebirth games. This will make sure all pixels are crisp. Otherwise these three games are programmed to do some unnecessary scaling and filtering, returning a visibly more blurry screen. Try for yourself to see what I'm talking about.

Might only apply when using component cables.
Oh really? I didn't know that, I use a 4:3 TV with my Wii...

ClodBusted

Then you're good. :)
When Cinemassacre did their Castlevania Rebirth video on Youtube, they had their Wii in 16:9 mode. Pretty blurry.

Regular games are fine with the Wii set to 16:9.

EDIT: CV Rebirth Pro-tip: Hold right on the d-pad in the start screen to get to a level select. This will give you access to every level you've already reached during regular play.

esadajr

Pretty much what everyone else said, it's better to just keep it. Plenty of awesomeness (plenty of shovelware too).
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Exploring the shovelware is it's own joy entirely too. Lots of sub $3 games that are oddly playable.

PukeSter

Red Steel 2 is my favorite Wii game. Lots of slicing and dicing.

Digi.k

I'm keeping mine although I have slimmed down it's library and gotten rid of some of the box sets that came with music CDs, controllers etc...

I'm actually after one more title if I can get it at a reasonable price and that is Sakura Wars english release.

IMG

Gypsy

I actually have an extra copy of that, but it's the PS2 version. Decent game.

SignOfZeta

I seem to remember the PS2 version being better. Maybe it had both languages still? I can't remember.

To me that series died with Sega so I haven't played anything past part 4.
IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/17/2017, 03:16 PMExploring the shovelware is it's own joy entirely too. Lots of sub $3 games that are oddly playable.
Boom Blox Bash Party is one of those strange but fun shovel ware titles.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

esteban

Quote from: TDIRunner on 05/18/2017, 12:23 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 05/17/2017, 03:16 PMExploring the shovelware is it's own joy entirely too. Lots of sub $3 games that are oddly playable.
Boom Blox Bash Party is one of those strange but fun shovel ware titles.
Since I am a cheap bastard, should we start a thread?

I'd buy some stuff just for *some* entertainment value—I do that with 8-/16-bit consoles, anyway.

Why else would I have been playing Magical Dinosaur Tour last night?

My kids didn't find it too compelling. But I wanted to squeeze as much entertainment from it as possible.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

Tornado Outbreak was decent, I believe I paid $1 at Gamestop.

Spyborgs can be fun, it's got co-op.

esadajr

Couldn't agree more, such classics as Cooking mama, Hell's Kitchen and the mini games from Super Monkey Ball banana blitz. And how can you forget the Guinness world records game.
Gaming since 1985

TDIRunner

It's not a hidden gem or anything, but Link's Crossbow training is pretty fun. 

I paid 45 cents for it at Gamestop, CIB.  And that was before my power rewards discount.  :P

crazydean

Quote from: esadajr on 05/19/2017, 09:27 AM
Couldn't agree more, such classics as Cooking mama, Hell's Kitchen and the mini games from Super Monkey Ball banana blitz. And how can you forget the Guinness world records game.
How do you make a game out of world records? Is it trivia?

Tw3ek

Quote from: TDIRunner on 05/19/2017, 10:28 AMIt's not a hidden gem or anything, but Link's Crossbow training is pretty fun. 

I paid 45 cents for it at Gamestop, CIB.  And that was before my power rewards discount.  :P
I always see copies of that game for at most $1. Strange as a lot of worse games sell for more.

TheClash603

Quote from: Tw3ek on 05/19/2017, 08:30 PM
Quote from: TDIRunner on 05/19/2017, 10:28 AMIt's not a hidden gem or anything, but Link's Crossbow training is pretty fun. 

I always see copies of that game for at most $1. Strange as a lot of worse games sell for more.
That crossbow takes up a lot of shelf space, stores probably wanted to get rid of it quicker cause of that.