10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

I bought a NEO GEO AES

Started by Gredler, 05/25/2017, 08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Quote from: Gredler on 05/29/2017, 02:14 AMI put a good couple hours into it trying to beat it on beginner and holy shnikies it's hard. I suck and need to figure out how to get a little better, it's pretty dang fun though.
This is pretty normal for NG games. Gotta remember that these games are meant to eat quarters and make the owner money.

Gredler

I was able to get through samurai spirits on beginner using Earthquake. Man, so much fun!

Gypsy

This thread tempts me to get a supergun.

TelcoSurveyor

The AES has always been that system I have wanted to get.  Just not bad enough to actually buy one.

Anybody got one for sale?
I'm the Wind, Baby!

SignOfZeta

Do you really want to own a system you're just going to sell in two months like everyone else who ever owned it?
IMG

TelcoSurveyor

I'm probably better off just thinking that I want one.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

elmer

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/15/2017, 12:15 PMDo you really want to own a system you're just going to sell in two months like everyone else who ever owned it?
Not everyone. I've had mine since the early 1990s.

I've still only got 2 games for it, because I bought it for those games, and not to be a collector.

People who buy it just to collect stuff are crazy ... but we already know that hard-core collectards are crazy, whatever product they collect.

But, as a piece of videogame history, I can see why someone might want to own the most-powerful 4th-generation arcade-at-home system made. And these days, with the NeoSD, you can play all of the Neo Geo games on your AES for a single very-high-but-not-absolutely-insane price.

I guess that it depends on what the individual's motivations are in buying the system.

Gredler

I'd be lieing if I didn't say I am glad I own it, and it's fun to bust out and play. Can't believe the games when I look at the dates of publication, especially when I hook up the other consoles from the times that I grew up owning. A marvel of game development, in my opinion.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: elmer on 06/15/2017, 12:43 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/15/2017, 12:15 PMDo you really want to own a system you're just going to sell in two months like everyone else who ever owned it?

I've still only got 2 games for it, because I bought it for those games, and not to be a collector.

People who buy it just to collect stuff are crazy ... but we already know that hard-core collectards are crazy, whatever product they collect.

But, as a piece of videogame history, I can see why someone might want to own the most-powerful 4th-generation arcade-at-home system made. And these days, with the NeoSD, you can play all of the Neo Geo games on your AES for a single very-high-but-not-absolutely-insane price.

I guess that it depends on what the individual's motivations are in buying the system.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, not everyone sells it. Some people just have two games.

And I guess "for history" is...kinda something, but without games there isn't much of the history you can experience with it. Flash carts aren't history either, unless 2016 is a trip down memory lane for you.

For the price of an AES and two decent games you could have an entire goddamn MVS with four games in it, two copies each of whatever it is you have or two other great games.

I'm not kidding. You can literally buy Real Bout 2, KOF98, 2020 Superbaseball, and Rage of Dragons AND an arcade machine to put them in for the price of just AES Samshow 5. Maybe half the price.  There no exageration here.

Sure it won't be the most powerful 4th gen home system, but it will be the longest running Arcade system of all time and with a UniBIOS you can play either version.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gredler on 06/15/2017, 12:51 PMI'd be lieing if I didn't say I am glad I own it, and it's fun to bust out and play. Can't believe the games when I look at the dates of publication, especially when I hook up the other consoles from the times that I grew up owning. A marvel of game development, in my opinion.
Most arcade boards do look way better than Genesis games.
IMG

Gredler

I do want to get a MVS Cab as well, but the AES was just one of those bucket list items I've wanted since I was a kid too small enough to understand wtf it was about. 9 years old reading magazines about this stuff, and it seemed like an unattainable thing to me - so having it makes me feel good - and it's fun to play to boot! :)

Eventually I'll get SD card readers and multi carts, but having a few games is plenty for me, considering how much I am able to play.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gredler on 06/15/2017, 08:45 PMEventually I'll get SD card readers and multi carts, but having a few games is plenty for me
Come on, nice guy.

Quote from: TelcoSurveyor on 06/15/2017, 12:19 PMI'm probably better off just thinking that I want one.
Feel fortunate to have survived until now.

Quote from: Gredler on 05/29/2017, 11:14 AMI was able to get through samurai spirits on beginner using Earthquake.
That power is powerless in our presence.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

mitsuman

I've been looking into this system. Why not just buy a Japanese version? Are the games that different? Seems like there's a few games I wouldn't mind playing.

Gredler

I did buy a Japanese version, I posted about it earlier in the thread after my shocked initial post.

The games are not different other than language as far as I can tell, and some games have English text options.

The games are still prohibitively expensive though, all ~$30+, most are in the hundreds if not thousands.

TelcoSurveyor

The cartridges contain every region the game was programmed for. AES, MVS. Europe, Japan, America. The BIOS chip tells the cartridge where you are. Get a UNIBIOS chip and you can unlock the full potential of your carts.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

seieienbu

Quote from: Gredler on 06/15/2017, 11:53 PMThe games are still prohibitively expensive though, all ~$30+, most are in the hundreds if not thousands.
Yeah, if $30+ is prohibitively expensive then AES is likely not the right console for you...

That being said, if any amount of money is prohibitively expensive, I'd likely recommend against trying to get into AES.  Pretty much, unless you're a Saudi prince with infinite money or something along those lines, I'd recommend you go the route I went and get an MVS.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

crazydean

Quote from: elmer on 06/15/2017, 12:43 PM

Which two games are so good that they're worth keeping the console all these years?

NecroPhile

Quote from: crazydean on 06/16/2017, 09:14 AMWhich two games are so good that they're worth keeping the console all these years?
Panic Bomber, Neo Bomberman, and/or Kabuki Klash.

Hudson.png

The bee knows.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/16/2017, 01:46 AM
Quote from: Gredler on 06/15/2017, 11:53 PMThe games are still prohibitively expensive though, all ~$30+, most are in the hundreds if not thousands.
Yeah, if $30+ is prohibitively expensive then AES is likely not the right console for you...

That being said, if any amount of money is prohibitively expensive, I'd likely recommend against trying to get into AES.  Pretty much, unless you're a Saudi prince with infinite money or something along those lines, I'd recommend you go the route I went and get an MVS.
Haha yeah hence the ambition to eventually get a SD card reader :)

Quote from: TelcoSurveyor on 06/16/2017, 01:14 AMThe cartridges contain every region the game was programmed for. AES, MVS. Europe, Japan, America. The BIOS chip tells the cartridge where you are. Get a UNIBIOS chip and you can unlock the full potential of your carts.
Oh word I do want to get this mod done, I wonder if it's something I can do? I will research it thanks!

elmer

Quote from: crazydean on 06/16/2017, 09:14 AMWhich two games are so good that they're worth keeping the console all these years?
ASO II and Viewpoint ... two games that I loved when they were in the Arcades.

As I said earlier ... that "Arcade-at-Home" console experience.

I stopped going to Arcades just after Viewpoint so I don't have enough of a personal connection to the later excellent Neo Geo games to be interested-enough to pay the price for them.

And that's the case whether you're talking AES or MVS prices.

And a consolised MVS may well be the cheaper option to play original Neo Geo cartridges ... but it's not the same piece of videogame history. It's an actual arcade machine in a box, which has its own place in history.

It all depends on what your are *personally* looking for.

A lot of people here seem to think that the original cartridges (AES or MVS) are the important part of owning a game.

I couldn't care less ... for me, they're just a distribution method, and playing on a flash-card is no different, it's the same game.

For me, it's the console itself that triggers the warm-and-fuzzy feelings.

Which is why the RetroBlox POLYMEGA leaves me completely cold.

Other people are attracted to different things, and that's OK, we all have our own reasons for loving this stuff.

But I can totally get gredler's attachment to the idea of buying an AES.

BITD, that was totally the pie-in-the-sky dream for a lot of folks.

And these days, with the NeoSD, it's not even a that crazy of a choice anymore ... unless you're the kind of person that thinks the original MVS masked-ROM chips, or a Chinese 161-in-1 cart somehow make the game more "real" to you.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Gredler on 06/16/2017, 11:47 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 06/16/2017, 01:46 AM

Haha yeah hence the ambition to eventually get a SD card reader :)

Quote from: TelcoSurveyor on 06/16/2017, 01:14 AMThe cartridges contain every region the game was programmed for. AES, MVS. Europe, Japan, America. The BIOS chip tells the cartridge where you are. Get a UNIBIOS chip and you can unlock the full potential of your carts.
Oh word I do want to get this mod done, I wonder if it's something I can do? I will research it thanks!
Also, Jap games have bouncing boobies and more blood than American region versions.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

SignOfZeta

IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/16/2017, 02:44 PMAlso, Jap games have bouncing boobies and more blood than American region versions.
Are you new here?

Gredler

I like boobs in california

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/16/2017, 02:44 PMAlso, Jap
You persistent guy. But your life ends right now.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

o.pwuaioc

Count me in the crowd that never wants an AES. Just not worth the investment for the half a dozen good non-fighting games. I even ended up selling the NGCD. Just not worth it. I can get most of what's good on it on other systems, and what I can't doesn't really bother me.

Now the NGPC is a different story. I love the little thing.

PS: Late to the party, but congrats, Gredler!

EvilEvoIX

Congrats on your purchase but realize that a MVS to AES converter plus a BIS chip would be your best bet to play true Neo Hardware.  I started collecting for this system in 2002 and sold it all in 06 just to buy it all again after some nut on ebay was selling 12 NOS launch games for $22 a piece shipped.  I will never sell my Neo stuff again, keep an eye, games can fall in your lap if you are patient.

Otherwise MVS to AES converter, Bios Mod, and Multicart would be your best bet.

P.S. what serial number is it?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

crazydean

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/19/2017, 09:25 AMCongrats on your purchase but realize that a MVS to AES converter plus a BIS chip would be your best bet to play true Neo Hardware.  I started collecting for this system in 2002 and sold it all in 06 just to buy it all again after some nut on ebay was selling 12 NOS launch games for $22 a piece shipped.  I will never sell my Neo stuff again, keep an eye, games can fall in your lap if you are patient.

Is there any reason you don't recommend the NeoSD over a converter+multicart? My understanding of the multicarts is that a lot of the games on them are boots and hacks. It seems like having original ROMs would be better than what is found on the multicart. Plus, I know that converter isn't cheap (not that anything NG is cheap).

CrackTiger

Only buy multicarts if you can't afford a NeoSD and don't ever waste money on a converter. You aren't getting the AES experience when you transform it into a tower of doom. Only MVS multicarts are worth the (cheap) price, but the MVS-to-AES converters kill that in several ways.

If money is any factor, then buy a CMVS for <the price of a fugly converter and enjoy having an AES to admire next to it or play the few games on it that you can afford and care about.

NeoSD runs games 100% authentic, imperfections and all. Multicarts are fine on MVS if you just want a good enough experience.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/19/2017, 09:25 AMP.S. what serial number is it?
It's a high one, like 169k or something - I picked 69 cause it was hilarious.

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2017, 11:36 AMOnly buy multicarts if you can't afford a NeoSD NeoSD runs games 100% authentic, imperfections and all.
Yeah I am happy with my fighting game library right now (Samurai Showdown 2, KoF 95, FFS, and WH2.) and once I have the available funds the NeoSD is what I am going to go with. Recovering from wedding and honeymoon will take a while, so ~$500 luxury entertainment items are on the back burner haha

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gredler on 06/16/2017, 04:28 PMI like boobs in california
+1 to you for the Kimmy reference. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: crazydean on 06/19/2017, 11:05 AM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/19/2017, 09:25 AMCongrats on your purchase but realize that a MVS to AES converter plus a BIS chip would be your best bet to play true Neo Hardware.  I started collecting for this system in 2002 and sold it all in 06 just to buy it all again after some nut on ebay was selling 12 NOS launch games for $22 a piece shipped.  I will never sell my Neo stuff again, keep an eye, games can fall in your lap if you are patient.

Is there any reason you don't recommend the NeoSD over a converter+multicart? My understanding of the multicarts is that a lot of the games on them are boots and hacks. It seems like having original ROMs would be better than what is found on the multicart. Plus, I know that converter isn't cheap (not that anything NG is cheap).
Converter is a must as MVS games are still $15-$100 for most good games.  I just bought Waku Waku 7 loose for $50, look up the AES price.

The Neo SD is almost $500 Shipped then you have to load the roms when a decent multicart has 60-80 proper games on it plus its well under $100 shipped.  That's a  $400 swing.  My Multicart has a ton of good games and some fun Boots or hacks as well.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Gredler

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/21/2017, 01:12 PMConverter is a must as MVS games are still $15-$100 for most good games.  I just bought Waku Waku 7 loose for $50, look up the AES price.

The Neo SD is almost $500 Shipped then you have to load the roms when a decent multicart has 60-80 proper games on it plus its well under $100 shipped.  That's a  $400 swing.  My Multicart has a ton of good games and some fun Boots or hacks as well.
Is the converter not $250+shipping? Considering that, plus $100shipped for the multicart?

$350 for 60-80 proper games is a lot less appealing than $500 for most games. I also like the idea of a single cart instead of, as others had mentioned, a double height converter+cart. I have a cat and two large dogs so I worry about them brushing against that tall thing lol

$150 more for most games and a lower profile might be worth it to me, but I am definitely open to suggestions.

The games I own already are the only ones I will have any nostalgia for, because they are mementos of my honeymoon. I didn't grow up owning the system, so I have no attachment to it, and don't care to own physical copies of any of the games. I just want to play them on original hardware on my crt :)

Gypsy

Instead of the converter you might as well just get a supergun at that point. Or hell, make your own.

Gredler

SignOfZeta

Neo converters have always sucked. Always have, always will, totally fucking pointless. And certainly, anyone starting out with NOTHING should avoid AES like the plague. It is the lesser experience, to say the least.

Things change over time, this is something noobs forgot. When the Neo was first lauched it was, of course, $2000 for a MVS and a game and only $600 for AES. Games were $200 on AES and $700 on MVS. Nobody used MVS at home except for three megaotaku in Osaka.

By 2000 you could buy most MVS games for $50, even ones that were six months old.

Now we have a $500 flash cart. This is the best "deal" by a mile, according to people who have it and say it's great, but still, $500 is still more than double what I paid for my MVS and probably five or six times what my most expensive game cost. It makes more sense to buy a flash cart, sure, but it also would have made more sense to pay cash for my house instead of blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars making The Man rich with interest. It doesn't mean I'm in that market.

Also...don't be a fucking poser. Neo games are usually either very hard or very deep so even with a library 1/6 the size of the PCE you'll never live to master more than 20 of them max. Having a complete ROM set at your fingertips is fucking USELESS if actual gaming is your true priority. Shit you can't use is a waste of money. I don't know if I'd rather have a $500 flash cart or 7 solid games on real carts...but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the real games than 90 things I've never play.

MVS carts are real Neo Geo games, made by SNK, and more significantly they were in arcades and actually got played by thousands of people instead of sitting on some palstic worshiping asshole's shelf. Honestly, there is little appeal to AES whatsoever to me. I like the art, but you can probably buy almost every Neo Geo art book for the price of Last Blade on AES so it really comes down to just wanting to spend money.
IMG

Kidpanda

I actually play my Neo, MVS and AES, have a NeoSD as well. It's easier for me to take the NeoSD somewhere and show off some games to buddies who don't take the system seriously. To each his own I guess and I don't see what the big deal is whatever platform you play Neo on. Most of the "bigtymers" don't play their carts for sure, but the ones that do enjoy them thoroughly.

crazydean

Quote from: Kidpanda on 06/21/2017, 09:59 PMI actually play my Neo, MVS and AES, have a NeoSD as well. It's easier for me to take the NeoSD somewhere and show off some games to buddies who don't take the system seriously. To each his own I guess and I don't see what the big deal is whatever platform you play Neo on. Most of the "bigtymers" don't play their carts for sure, but the ones that do enjoy them thoroughly.
It's fine. The NeoSD is a great product. Zeta just believes that nobody should ever pay more than he did for something twenty years ago.

Psycho Punch

Do you really have to play only a handful of games that you're willing to become a black belt at? What about casual play and not having to have a collection of bulky carts lying around? What if you decide you don't really want to play that one game you're good at anymore?

That's a surprisingly bad argument against having a flashcart.

Gypsy

To be fair, he said it was fine, just that he wasn't the market for it. More or less anyway. I think.  :dance:

As for me I realized I'm fine with emulation, those emu on a console compilations as well as of the era (Saturn/Dreamcast mostly, but some PS2 as well) console ports. I was playing some Mark of the Wolves with my brother tonight on Dreamcast, a port which is pretty much derided last I knew. It's good enough, and it's a blast to play.

Gredler

I try to justify purchasing everdrives/SD card readers based on games I want to play.

How much would it cost for me to get the metal slug games, segoku 1 (the #1 most nostalgic NEO GEO game for me, played it every time we went to local burger joint that had a mvs) & 2, puzzle bobble, blazing star, aero fighters 1 & 2, king of monsters 1& 2, super baseball 2020, baseball stars, and windjammers?

Would that cost more than a SD card reader? If so I think for me to play the games I want to play the neo SD is the best course of action, aside from playing the emulator on pc I've played since the late 90s..

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 06/21/2017, 11:11 PMDo you really have to play only a handful of games that you're willing to become a black belt at? What about casual play and not having to have a collection of bulky carts lying around? What if you decide you don't really want to play that one game you're good at anymore?

OH NO THE CARTS ARE BULKY!!!! WTF DO I DO?!?!?

What kind of lunatic is playing 25 year old shit all day and night and doesn't LOVE enormous fucking cartridges? Who the hell is that man, and what torments he must confront in his nightmares...

I'm not against sampling games, I'm just against the now prevailing mentality that you're only happy with a game system if you can play EVERY SINGLE GAME MADE FOR IT, and I don't care if it's from flash card evangelicals or collectards. Its a pointless pursuit.

I only have like a dozen MVS games (all purchased within the last 7-8 years, btw, most recently Thrash Rally for $35) and if you assholes were to be believed I must be dying in gameless missry, constantly wishing, oh God, if I could just PLAY MY FAVORITE GAME INSTEAD IF ALL THESE OTHER SHITTY NEO GEO GAMES. OH, I HURT!

But seriously, I do have my favorite Neo Geo games.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 06/21/2017, 11:11 PMDo you really have to play only a handful of games that you're willing to become a black belt at? What about casual play and not having to have a collection of bulky carts lying around? What if you decide you don't really want to play that one game you're good at anymore?

That's also the opposite of what arcade games are designed for. They're made to be easy to pick up and play and maximize entertainment for short sessions. Anyone should do what they want with games, but having the entire MVS library in a single cart running perfect is like being at an arcade.

Also, you shouldn't have to choose a handful of games from the list of those within a lower price point, even if you were to limit yourself to a set number. I'm not a fighting game fanatic and will never master any of them without the free time of a high schooler and friends who can learn the games with me.

Either way, I still prefer other genres and games like Viewpoint and Pulstar are what I remember and cared about bitd and they were all the same price to play at the time. Now those two games combined are the same price or more than a NeoSD cart. 

They aren't some rare titles that no one even knew about bitd that someone might argue you wouldn't even care about if you hadn't learned about them 20 years later and are hyped by people because of collector value. They are a couple of key titles that define the Neo Geo to me, regardless of price.

Why even argue against retro fans spending the money on a NeoSD and hardware setup when it's the same price as a current console and a few games?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Unless you're some sort of ADD riddled moron, it's entirely possible to devote your time to mastering a single title on a flashcart.  Zeta must've been one of those kids at the arcade that walked away from the game before their quarter was up - there's just too many choices to stay and play for too long!!!!

Tw3ek

OldManYellsAtCloud.webp

Sums up the direction of this thread pretty nicely....

SignOfZeta

I never left the arcade. They had to kick my ass out.

You guys are really hard to explain concepts too, btw. Everyone who complained about me saying flash carts are bad for example, fuck all you all, because I never said that. Flashcarts are like how bootlegs are for music fans. They aren't bad at all, they are ESSENTIAL. However, once you stop going to record stores and shows all together because someone gave you a spreadsheet and now you just have an Excel file and one giant folder full of MP3s then you are no longer engaged in the music scene. You're just a box checking robot starving for the very thing you actively weeded out of the experience.

You know that scene in Sleeper where they are going to clone their great leader from his nose? That's the sort of way too evolved anti-human shit I'm talking about. You've stripped all the blood sweat and humanity from the thing.

Changing carts is not a pain in the ass. It's part of the experience. Reducing everything to a fucking file name is just...fuck. I guess I can't explain it to you if you don't already get it. The CRUX of the Neo Geo, of anything, is the enormous carts. They made the Neo what it was. Now you old geezers are too weak and weary to change games manually? Do you have MS? If so, I'm sorry,  it if not, why are you playing this old junk anyway?

What I find distasteful is the now extremely prevelent axiom that game systems can't fully occupy your time %100 unless you have every game. That being "confined" to a small title selection is a bad thing. It's not. It's not bad AT ALL because you have only a finite amount of time to spend on gaming anyway. There are TEN different KOFs. WTF are you going do with all of them plus six different Samshows, the borderline unbeatable shooters, 6 Metal Slugs, Quiz KOF, etc etc. I promise you that you'll never really know these games like people who's arcade only had a four slot or someone who had an AES and a minimum wage job in the 90s.

And sure, yeah, technically you could be sitting on 140 ROMs and still you mainly just play Baseball Stars 2 so you are really awesome at it but..:get fucking real. Nobody is doing that. What a disingenuous load of bullshit argument...

That guy who spends every weekend with his rusty 325i at the race track is 1000 times the driver of some douche sitting in traffic with his 270 mph Lambo that no track in the world can contain. It may feel great to say "Finally, now I have a three foot long penis" but when you realize there are no three foot deep vaginas you may feel dumb...if you ever realize that at all. I guess I'm the guy that realized that and I'm trying to explain it to people who are still Sisyphusing that same dumb rock up the same dumb hill forever.

There are a lot of ways of enjoying art, but there are some things that need to be said. The incessant march to make everything cheaper and smaller and more comprehensive inevitably leads to us being less focused and less mindful of what we have. It isn't going to bring you closer to the artist, it does the opposite. It bleeds away the significance of what people put into the work. It turns people into overly entitled whiny bitch posers who spec out their life like it was a new gaming PC.

The rat who can only get the treat with the occasional electric shock is healthier and happier than the rat who gets infinite food all day. Removing all hardship isn't what makes people happy. "Why carve this thing out of wood by hand when I can just make a 3D print of it?" Well, maybe because you won't end up a depressed fat rat if you learn to whittle. 

I'm bringing my 2003 cart with me to MGC 2018 and if anyone beats me 3 out of 5 it will prove I'm talking out of my ass and I'll take it all back. All you channel flippiers with Neo Geos have less than a year to practice, get to it. I look forward to this because I'm only about %51 sure that I'm the best KOF player here...

And this is a joke, but it's also serious as well. I'm passionate about this, but I know where and why it sounds ridiculous. If you didn't chuckle at one thing in this post then don't bother replying. If you want to explain that flash carts and variety are good things please understand for the millionth time that I already know that so there is no reason to repeat it yet again. Also, that think about how everyone has an opinion so therefore I should shut up or that thing about how we can all do whatever we want with our own money. Shove that up your ass as well. If you still feel compelled to point these things out to me just don't.
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/22/2017, 05:01 PMEveryone should play games they can afford, not ones they like.

Gredler

I see what you're saying Zeta, about how it's not neccesary to have all the games and being forced to play the ones you own due to a limited library is a enjoyment in its own. I've gotten pretty danm good at Samurai Showdown II because it's the NeoGeo game I've played the most now - it was between it and Fatal Fury Special and I enjoy SSII a lot more than FFS.

I booted it up on the mame cab at the office, and ran the floor with all of the challengers, it was pretty danm satisfying and if I had a flash card to play I would probably have not put nearly as much time into SSII.

That being said, I just looked on ebay thinking I should try to get Sengoku - the game I remember from arcades the most - and it will cost more than an everdrive... sooo....

I was about to say I would not spend over 500$ on a game, then I started thinking about my Everquest and Final Fantasy XI subscription costs, and I bet both of those eventually got pretty close, 3 years x 12$ a month or whatever it was.

Ok, you're right, I am getting all official carts, then my penis will be appropriately small to fit into a realistic vagina.

Edit: Also, I've picked up a copy of KoF 95 since it was the most affordable copy I could find of a KoF Neo Geo game - and I've always wanted to familiarize my self with that series. Holy shit it's technical and hard! I practiced doing various hops last weekend for a good while and never got a handle on the jump variation.

Gredler

lol sengoku on mvs is affordable, eh?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-GEO-SENGOKU-MVS-ORIGINAL-SNK-/182626524803?hash=item2a85639e83:g:p1wAAOSwjvJZPEz9

I guess I should get a converter and that game? It is one of the few neo geo games I really care to get and play through

Sarumaru